Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think he makes a good point; how are you supposed to make interesting mods that add interesting stuff if you're gonna disable progress? How would a big mod such as Antibirth even work if you're unable to save?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

CJacobs posted:

It's a singleplayer game.

Ah, another person who forgot that Isaac has a really fun multiplayer mode.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
This is neat: If you manage to pick up a second Mom's Knife, it gives you 20/20 or something equivalent. I had Tech-X plus Mom's Knife, which is already a brutal combo, and found a second Mom's Knife on a victory lap. It gave me double knives and double Tech-X.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
So I kind of like the idea of the Delirium fight but I feel like it needs to be adjusted some. I lost to him because he would teleport directly on top of me and hit me instantly. Once he teleported while shooting lasers which moved the lasers with him and hit me. Does being delirium unlock anything?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

AlexJade posted:

So I kind of like the idea of the Delirium fight but I feel like it needs to be adjusted some. I lost to him because he would teleport directly on top of me and hit me instantly. Once he teleported while shooting lasers which moved the lasers with him and hit me. Does being delirium unlock anything?

They claimed to fix that in the patch, but it still happens. It's definitely possible to get a run where you have enough health and damage to tank those insta-hits, but I can't even imagine playing that fight with The Lost or The Keeper. Unfortunately, beating him unlocks a cool new item with each character you defeat him with.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
it's not that a bad fight anymore, i whittled him down with keeper over 5 minutes yesterday on a non breaking run

i was constantly running though and nothing hit me instantaneously, even delirium's mom foot had a clear tell now

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
i might have had a lucky boss pool though. i hear he only morphs into bosses you've fought in that run

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Looks like with the update Delirium changed a bit. During a fight the screen went into a white static effect and the background changed into the Blue Womb background for the remainder of the fight.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I killed mega satan in a victory lap run and somehow this reset my win streak of ~90. :suicide:

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
Pokeymans is... not really designed with co-op in mind. For every pokeyman that dies you get two new.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Jusupov posted:

I refunded successfully two days ago and just started isaac for the first time after that. Still got afterbirth+
:same:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Your Computer posted:

I think he makes a good point; how are you supposed to make interesting mods that add interesting stuff if you're gonna disable progress? How would a big mod such as Antibirth even work if you're unable to save?

I think people are conflating a few different forms of 'can't progress' and it'd probably be helpful if someone figured out exactly what can't be done -

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You know what I just realized?

Edmund obviously wants the game to be harder, and a lot of people enjoy the added challenge.... but didn't he add a hard mode for this purpose? The solution is so simple! Put the new crazy bullshit like monster spawners and stone fatties in Hard Mode. Make Hard Mode have a purpose! A lot of people only play Hard Mode anyway since you need it for unlocks, but why not make the two modes actually differ from each other so that people who want to just play casually can do so in Normal Mode without every other room on the Basement having spawners and stuff.

too bad the modding tools suck rear end and this can't be done with a mod

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Edmund obviously wants the game to be harder, and a lot of people enjoy the added challenge.... but didn't he add a hard mode for this purpose? The solution is so simple! Put the new crazy bullshit like monster spawners and stone fatties in Hard Mode. Make Hard Mode have a purpose! A lot of people only play Hard Mode anyway since you need it for unlocks, but why not make the two modes actually differ from each other so that people who want to just play casually can do so in Normal Mode without every other room on the Basement having spawners and stuff.

I want the game to be hard, I just want it to be hard in a fair and fun fashion.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

I want the game to be hard, I just want it to be hard in a fair and fun fashion.

We all do, except for Edmund. :hfive:

I just think this solution is so obvious I don't understand why they haven't done it. Back in old Isaac they didn't have a Hard Mode so the expansion (WotL) was basically considered that (aka. play this if you want harder content). Now that so many people play the game and they have a dedicated Hard Mode why on earth aren't they using it like that. The expansion follows the old format of "new content BUT HARDER!" when a lot of people just want new content. Hard Mode would be the perfect place to stuff the harder bosses and enemies (heck, even floors and curses).

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How are you supposed to access the new hidden path? I haven't seen any of the new unlock doors. I've killed Delerium twice .

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Your Gay Uncle posted:

How are you supposed to access the new hidden path? I haven't seen any of the new unlock doors. I've killed Delerium twice .

The Void/Delerium is the new hidden path. Though apparently the gate to the Void is only a random chance to appear after any major boss post-Mom, including Mega-Satan but excluding Hush, who always makes it appear.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

So, northern lion's latest run included him getting Mama Mega which opened a boss rush door in Greedier mode, but he didn't go in. Is that literally Boss Rush in Greedier? Or just a fluke door that does nothing?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

thecluckmeme posted:

So, northern lion's latest run included him getting Mama Mega which opened a boss rush door in Greedier mode, but he didn't go in. Is that literally Boss Rush in Greedier? Or just a fluke door that does nothing?

It crashes your game if you try to enter it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Hahahaha A loving +

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So today I lucked into getting a Dry Baby as my first item. Then I realized it tends to Necronomicon the entire room sometimes when it blocks a projectile.

Almost got Isaac's D6 with that run but lolpolycephalus outside of the boss room in a real tight room configuration.

I almost wanna get one of them seeds that has Dry Baby as the first treasure. That doesn't disable progress, does it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Just cleared Ultra Hard with a floor 1 kamikaze+pyro combo. Now my left index finger hurts. God that was tedious.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Dias posted:

Yes it is. The designers don't want you to do that, so why would they make that official? You can still Cheat Engine that poo poo, but then you're legit doing Cheat Engine BS. You might not like it, but it makes total fuckin' sense, mate.

You can unlock achievements so easily that it's pretty stupid to say if you mods no unlocks. You can't even use cosmetic mods.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Man, I am eating poo poo on the Pokey Mans challenge. 3/4 times I've lost because I spawned the big zooming fucker who spawns brains and covers the screen with flashing creep from the brains and constant motion across the screen in the scarred womb and lost track of stuff.

I'm late to the game on this expansion, what are the best new unlocks so far? I've literally just tried the challenges so far and have only knocked out the backwards one and the pong one.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
The Backasswards challenge was a nice idea. But terrible implementation for most runs. Especially as far as the Mega Satan fight goes of course. The items seems to be very if not totally randomized, and most of the times you begin at Mega Satan with little damage and a bunch of useless items.

Also, taking Dead Cat after suffering through the Mega Satan fight, straight up killed me when I went into the light. 9 times. And I am sure that at least the first time, I also had spirit hearts.

So, then, in my winning run, I was afraid of devil deals and remaining with only spirit hearts, because I thought that would kill me again.

I probably have to read the wiki more, because it's no fun anymore discovering these messed up "rules" by myself.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I've not installed Antibirth, but watching some LPs of it, boy is it a wayyyyyyyy better expansion than AB+. Just saw someone take an alt path into a room with:

1. Fly enemies that orbit you and shoot at you in that orbit
2. An enemy that picks up rocks around the room and throws them at you
3. Cool rear end reflective floor

Like 2 minutes of Antibirth play shows off 3 things cooler than most everything in AB+.

Edit: Goddamn, a Pin-style boss who blows holes in the floor. Awesome poo poo.
Edit2: Stone boss that you have to survive rather than kill. And the Mines in general are a dope floor. The difference in quality between this free fan-made mod and the one they sold is astounding. I wasn't even all that down on AB+ until I saw this Antibirth poo poo.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jan 7, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure Ed thinks dying through no fault of your own is Actually Fun and that if you absolutely must stand a chance then resetting until you get something worthwhile is Just Good Game Design™.

e: no way I'm combing through his tweets, but didn't he literally at some point say that dying to chance was one of the charms of the game or something to that effect?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

1. Fly enemies that orbit you and shoot at you in that orbit

gently caress those flies

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I like how once you get good the orbit shooting flies are actually pretty doable, reminds me of when I first started playing Isaac.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

PostNouveau posted:

Edit2: Stone boss that you have to survive rather than kill. And the Mines in general are a dope floor. The difference in quality between this free fan-made mod and the one they sold is astounding. I wasn't even all that down on AB+ until I saw this Antibirth poo poo.

Fun fact: Said stone boss will spawn a Crawl Space with goodies inside if you chuck a Chaos Card at it apparently.

And Antibirth also has a boss that just makes you feel bad for killing. I mean... I get that it's got annoying attacks but look at that expression of joy on its face.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

They seem similar to the white skeletons in that regard. Those things gave me no end of trouble when I first started playing.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

widespread posted:

And Antibirth also has a boss that just makes you feel bad for killing. I mean... I get that it's got annoying attacks but look at that expression of joy on its face.

That thing is pretty adorable in action :3: It was the first boss I fought in Antibirth and it reminds me of Dingle in that it seems like a total jerk at first but then you learn its patterns and it's actually a very well designed boss!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Your Computer posted:

That thing is pretty adorable in action :3: It was the first boss I fought in Antibirth and it reminds me of Dingle in that it seems like a total jerk at first but then you learn its patterns and it's actually a very well designed boss!

Dingle's still a jerk though.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Your Computer posted:

I'm pretty sure Ed thinks dying through no fault of your own is Actually Fun and that if you absolutely must stand a chance then resetting until you get something worthwhile is Just Good Game Design™.

e: no way I'm combing through his tweets, but didn't he literally at some point say that dying to chance was one of the charms of the game or something to that effect?

If he indeed said that, it's horse poo poo and I couldn't disagree more.

However, people have been talking about "unavoidable damage" since forever. "Mega Fatty's quick stomp is unavoidable", "Adversary's Curve Brim is impossible to dodge", "It's not possible to outrun The Haunt's ghosts", etc. etc. ad nauseaum.

I chose these examples because they're all perfectly avoidable if you've experienced them a few times. There are obvious tells and different movement styles you can use to your advantage. Yet somehow people still cry about them. I'm not saying there aren't unavoidable situations in the game - Polycephalus surfacing on top of you or Daddy Longlegs' feet hitting you at random - and that they shouldn't be removed, but I feel like the majority of people's complaints about getting killed unfairly is totally a fault of their own.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
You know what is a really good synergetic combo? Polyphemus + Guppy + Tech .5 + Jacob's Ladder. That poo poo is KINDA broken.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wugga posted:

If he indeed said that, it's horse poo poo and I couldn't disagree more.

However, people have been talking about "unavoidable damage" since forever. "Mega Fatty's quick stomp is unavoidable", "Adversary's Curve Brim is impossible to dodge", "It's not possible to outrun The Haunt's ghosts", etc. etc. ad nauseaum.

I chose these examples because they're all perfectly avoidable if you've experienced them a few times. There are obvious tells and different movement styles you can use to your advantage. Yet somehow people still cry about them. I'm not saying there aren't unavoidable situations in the game - Polycephalus surfacing on top of you or Daddy Longlegs' feet hitting you at random - and that they shouldn't be removed, but I feel like the majority of people's complaints about getting killed unfairly is totally a fault of their own.

People will cry about anything. See: Dingle

The game has a literal poo poo ton of actual, real unavoidable damage though even if a good deal of it is damage/flight checks (e.g. "have this much damage/flight or the damage is guaranteed). Rooms, combinations of enemy champions, new enemy spawner combinations, un-telegraphed boss attacks, the list goes on. I know you really like to defend this game and that you have 1200 hours and yada yada, but surely even you can't deny how much of it there is now with Afterbirth+? For the record I've spent over a thousand hours too, and I obviously enjoy(ed) the game. I just think we should be able to call out poo poo for what it is. poo poo.

e: which is why I was wondering earlier if the mod tools are ingrained in Afterbirth+, because fixing all the unavoidable damage in this expansion would be a real headache. When I heard there were mod tools, I wanted to take a crack at fixing the unavoidable damage in Rebirth or perhaps Afterbirth because back at launch there was way less of this. With every expansion it has just gotten worse, unfortunately.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 7, 2017

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

What unavoidable damage is there in the expansion? Can someone give me examples beyond the obvious bugs that will be fixed shortly? I haven't ever encountered a Portal room where I felt damage was unavoisable, at worst they're just difficult.

Your Computer posted:

I don't think either of those enemies are that hard. Once you realize that Portals are capped at 3 spawns at once and Stone Fatties literally cannot hurt you ever there are easy counter strategies to them.

Now that Big Horn and Sisters Vis have been fixed I'm not sure that the difficulty level has really been raised much by AB+ (excluding the lingering bugs like the 8 blastocyst room). Basically all the added items and trinkets are helpful too.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 7, 2017

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Oh, regarding insta-attacks, please give The Bloat a fuckin' startup on his stupid beams. You don't even have to fix both, just make that stupid fight less painful.

i hate the bloat still i'll take all the vis sisters over that dick

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Your Computer posted:

People will cry about anything. See: Dingle

The game has a literal poo poo ton of actual, real unavoidable damage though even if a good deal of it is damage/flight checks (e.g. "have this much damage/flight or the damage is guaranteed). Rooms, combinations of enemy champions, new enemy spawner combinations, un-telegraphed boss attacks, the list goes on. I know you really like to defend this game and that you have 1200 hours and yada yada, but surely even you can't deny how much of it there is now with Afterbirth+? For the record I've spent over a thousand hours too, and I obviously enjoy(ed) the game. I just think we should be able to call out poo poo for what it is. poo poo.

I'm not defending this game out of some sycophantic need and I'm aware that there are issues with it that should be ironed out, but I just find it really hard to agree with the fact that the a vast majority of the game is some huge damage check. Especially since you can still easily roll through the game with tons of item combinations.

I also happen to enjoy AB+ for what it is and don't find it as unfair as most people. So I don't know, I guess we'll just have to disagree on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

I feel like sister vis is the new haunt. Does that make sense? Shows up way too early, and is loving bullshit.

Also rainmaker's my favorite antibirth boss. His animations are cute :3: