Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

It didnt seem so bad til I looked down to the construction pictures and realized he astroturfed the floor?

And filled the underbench area with gravel?

oh its the wine storage

This would have been awesome to have when I was 19.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

TerminalSaint posted:

As someone who gets annoyed by a 2" gap between a facade and the ground, these columns make me want to punch someone.

This one's worse (from MMH)

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Youth Decay posted:

Barf.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Maybe he's trying to confuse ghosts?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Youth Decay posted:

Well, at least it will improve with age as the copper goes green.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Youth Decay posted:

What the ever loving hell is with those skinny white pillars? The whole thing is a mess, but those take the cake.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

baquerd posted:

Well, at least it will improve with age as the copper goes green.

That's a low bar to clear. A controlled demolition would improve it substantially more.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I hate random cooper roofs so much. It's like just pissing away money. It can be an elegant choice but not when you just tack on a copper corner.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

What the ever loving hell is with those skinny white pillars? The whole thing is a mess, but those take the cake.

(Stolen from FM comments) Chicken legs.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
I know this isn't crappy construction per se, but can anyone tell me anything about this flooring.

Is it poured or tile or what?

Thanks in advance!

(And, yes, that IS a pew. It is a hospital chapel.)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's just marble aggregate tile? Whats wrong about it?

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Synthbuttrange posted:

It didnt seem so bad til I looked down to the construction pictures and realized he astroturfed the floor?

oh its the wine storage

Turns out he's the second incarnation of the ToyBox Killer, so the only movie it plays is that creepy speech

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

As I said, it wasn't exactly crappy construction, but this is the biggest concentration of people that know anything about construction I have access to, soooooo...

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

I think that's terrazzo which is poured in place. How old is the chapel? Terrazzo is more likely the older it is.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I want to believe it's like one of those drinking birds where it keeps tipping down to touch the water then back up again, repeatedly.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

oh its the wine storage

It's because it was originally just paving stones over dirt under there

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Bad Munki posted:

I want to believe it's like one of those drinking birds where it keeps tipping down to touch the water then back up again, repeatedly.

The construction of the building itself must have been pretty great. Foundation seems to need a bit of work though.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I get Botox injections in my forehead and scalp to treat migraines, so I can't really raise my eyebrows anymore. I don't notice this lack very much, until I see something like this and my face just will not reflect my surprise and dismay. (this thread is particularly good at eliciting this reaction)

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Leviathan Song posted:

I think that's terrazzo which is poured in place. How old is the chapel? Terrazzo is more likely the older it is.

Yep, that's terrazzo. Terrazzo is an older choice for high traffic and easy cleanup flooring. A properly installed terrazzo floor can last a century.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Leviathan Song posted:

At least 50 years old. And it has the metal strips between slabs, so I am pretty sure it is terrazzo. TIL I was totally wrong about what I thought terrazzo was.

Cheers for the education, all.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 7, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

At first I thought this was an intentionally-built-sideways house (like that one upside-down house), but then I saw it had ripped out its foundations. And also realized what thread I was in.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Budgie posted:

The construction of the building itself must have been pretty great. Foundation seems to need a bit of work though.

No no, foundation is great, still in perfect condition. It's the dirt UNDER the foundation that is causing trouble here.

I feel like if they simply re-anchored it, it'd be ready to go as a quirk-house, I mean, everything looks pretty level, those stairs now having 7" treads and 11" risers are probably gonna need revamping, but other than that...like, who doesn't want a trap door in the hallway that you drop through to get into your bedroom?

e: Garage door sized sky lights? Heck yeah! Heating bills be damned.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 7, 2017

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Can that thing be towed back upright? They probably have to move it but if it's intact that makes it easier..

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Terrazzo is super common in late 40s to mid 60s south Florida construction. The only real bad part about it is that being a poured concrete floor, it's generally dead level, and an extremely attractive surface to lay tile on. Which people do. Directly.

And the installers generally permanently ultra-gently caress what could be a really nice terrazzo floor when they do it.

:(

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Bad Munki posted:

No no, foundation is great, still in perfect condition. It's the dirt UNDER the foundation that is causing trouble here.

I feel like if they simply re-anchored it, it'd be ready to go as a quirk-house, I mean, everything looks pretty level, those stairs now having 7" treads and 11" risers are probably gonna need revamping, but other than that...like, who doesn't want a trap door in the hallway that you drop through to get into your bedroom?

e: Garage door sized sky lights? Heck yeah! Heating bills be damned.

House moving is a thing. However, they leave the foundation and make a new one at the new place. Of course, that's assuming the house was upright to begin with. I don't know how you would get that place upright again without breaking corners, finishes and balconies off. Then there's the matter of getting the I beams and dollies under it that close to the lake.

Still, props to the builders of that place. The compression loads became tension loads and vice versa without the place falling completely apart.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

DrBouvenstein posted:

See what I mean? A slapped-together plywood box held together with cheap shelving brackets solves that pesky "hole in the floor" problem.

It is also right next to the fireplace, which is in use judging by the iron set. Should be at least 3 feet away, preferably more, but they can't ever move it. That cloth cover is going to be on a fire investigator's report someday!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bozart posted:

It is also right next to the fireplace, which is in use judging by the iron set. Should be at least 3 feet away, preferably more, but they can't ever move it. That cloth cover is going to be on a fire investigator's report someday!

He's probably right hosed if that ever happens. His non-permitted not up to code alterations to the house probably void his house insurance if they cause a fire or accident some day.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The presence of the iron next to the fireplace in no way means it gets used, that stuff's probably been sitting there untouched since the 80s and has a layer of dust on it thicker than the ash in the fireplace itself.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

The presence of the iron next to the fireplace in no way means it gets used, that stuff's probably been sitting there untouched since the 80s and has a layer of dust on it thicker than the ash in the fireplace itself.

Oh come on now, the iron set probably more accurately indicates it's actually a gas fireplace. Because logic.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Bribe the surveyor.

You -know- that builder has to have pissed in the inspector's Wheaties to get yanked around on that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Liquid Communism posted:

You -know- that builder has to have pissed in the inspector's Wheaties to get yanked around on that.

Or the neighbours complained about the "monster house" going up next door.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

This is what happened in Arlington County, Va about a decade ago. Guy did a tear down and acted as his own GC to build his dream house. There were some problems. He kept running out of money and the lot would sit un-worked for months with construction poo poo all over, which didn't make the neighbors happy. It took about 10 years, but once he actually got something built, it was a nightmare.

You'll look at that and say, yeah, that's a pretty ugly house, but people gotta stop whining about everything.

Well, that picture doesn't really capture the reality...

The thing is big. Monstrously big. It looks like some giant baby stacked his blocks, added windows and called it a house. It's glaringly apart from anything else in the neighborhood, which is all post-war tract construction. (These days there have been more 2nd stories added to the homes so it don't loom quite as terribly anymore.)

Oh, also, that is after 2 feet were removed form the top of the house by order of the county, which ended up being the only code violation they found that could enforce after the entire neighborhood raised hell. In the fallout of this house and the growth of tear-down McMansions they added some lot coverage restrictions and lower height limits to keep things more sane.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Guess the guy really likes windows.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

It's a huge, ugly house and he sounds like an rear end in a top hat, and his neighbors sound like they're assholes too. Apart from being 2 feet too high, sounds like it was built according to code, and being ugly isn't illegal.

If people think their property values are so important, they are welcome to form HOAs. These busybodies want to legislate things that are personal taste because they can't just come right out and say they don't like someone because they think they're an rear end in a top hat, so they pretend it's about not following the rules. Then when someone follows the rules, they huff and puff and change them. Boo hoo.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Someone built a giant house in the last decade and didn't install central air?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

nm posted:

Someone built a giant house in the last decade and didn't install central air?

Auxiliary cooling for the server room?

It’s eccentric, but so’s the whole house.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The house has 2 condensing units. They might still be undersized; it is nearly 7,000 square feet.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6430-27th-St-N-Arlington-VA-22207/12056415_zpid/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nice rock collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I kind of love the living room boulder, but am kind of surprised no one has carved shelves into it.