Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Pulaski owns. She is the grandma on your dad's side who visits for a week and is gone before her humorous jabs at the expense of others ends up targeting you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

TNG didn't need a McCoy, or depending on your view, Riker/Worf were the McCoy already.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I didn't like Pulaski for years, but in my first all-the-way-through watch of the series, she really grew on me. Sure, she's the TNG writers' desperate attempt to make a new McCoy, but she's more realistically flawed than all the perfect starfleet officers she's surrounded by, and she has something of a character arc with how she slowly gains some acceptance for Data over the course of the season.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Pulaski is the only TNG Doctor with a personality.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

They did some dumb stuff with Pulaski by trying to make her into Bones but she hosed Worf so she knows whats up.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Pakled posted:

I didn't like Pulaski for years, but in my first all-the-way-through watch of the series, she really grew on me. Sure, she's the TNG writers' desperate attempt to make a new McCoy, but she's more realistically flawed than all the perfect starfleet officers she's surrounded by, and she has something of a character arc with how she slowly gains some acceptance for Data over the course of the season.

She starts off so over the top assholish though.

Like, not even McCoy was running around calling Spock 'Spack' and rolling his eyes at the idea you call someone by their name.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Pulaski took away a redhead during my formative years. There can be no greater offense.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TheBigAristotle posted:

From their discussion page:

The next commenter noted that there is no entry for penis.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Beard

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

Pulaski took away a redhead during my formative years. There can be no greater offense.

Did Beverly Crusher really play a part in anyone's coming of age?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

TheBigAristotle posted:

I'm pretty sure it's either her or Judith Hoag (who played April in the first Turtles movie) that steered me towards redheads.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

TheBigAristotle posted:

Her getting fingered by a ghost to orgasm on 90's TV was certainly something.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

TheBigAristotle posted:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYmn3Gwn3oI

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Zurui posted:

There's an episode of DS9 where we find out that Ezri's family is invested in mining and it's all automated and hi-tech. The idea is that the Cardassians considered Bajorans cheaper than technological methods.

Or dangerous forced labor was a convenient cover for deliberate genocide. Dukat makes it very clear that he didn't care at all about Bajoran lives and clearly gets off on mass murder, so it's certainly in character for him. Other Cardies like the one in Duet did the same sort of poo poo, so I think the writers were trying to suggest that the Bajorans were headed toward extermination (or at least full enslavement) without being too :godwin: about it.

Namaer posted:

I remember an interview with George Takei on the Stern Show, where he was very proud that Sulu was a captain in Undiscovered Country. Howard tried to get him to realize that Sulu getting promoted means that George would have less screen time, but George was just so pleased that his character had moved up in the world.

Well his (non) romance with Ilia was taken out of the first movie, Wrath of Khan also gave him very little to do, he only has one memorable scene in Search for Spock, he has one of the shortest subplots in The One with the Whales (they trimmed at least one scene with him and the Huey), and I can't even remember what he does in Final Frontier. Finally having a role that gives him actual character development, makes him genuinely important to the plot, and wasn't going to be cut down at the last minute must have been incredibly gratifying for him.

Anyone thinking "less screen time = worse role" really has no understanding of how frustrating it must have been to spend all those years playing The Asian Helmsman (who smirked occasionally) instead of an actual character.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Duckbag posted:

he has one of the shortest subplots in The One with the Whales (they trimmed at least one scene with him and the Huey)

Nimoy, being awesome, tried to make sure everyone had some significant stuff to work with in Trek IV, but they had some trouble filming Sulu's planned scene where he meets an ancestor and didn't manage to get it done.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Voyage Home has a lot of great character moments, but McCoy takes the cake in every single scene.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I know it's an unpopular opinion but I think TMP was great. Yeah it's slow AF but they were trying to crib 2001's majesty and without Kubrick that's pretty much impossible. Sure it was a misstep for the general audience but for a nerd like me it was a great way to say that this wasn't a tiny budget TV show anymore. I also think that the models and visuals were the best in the series including when we got CGI. I really ought to read that book

My only question? How did that deep space station have a camera floating right where the Klingon ships were when V'ger zapped 'em?

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?

Kazinsal posted:

There are some pretty solid episodes in the first season. Conspiracy is way better than it has any right to be, especially considering it was even darker before a dying Gene screeched relentlessly that there's no possible way that the not a military of the Federation could have a military conspiracy going on.

I feel like they got their revenge by blowing up a man's head on TV in 1988.

Admittedly I haven't gotten through season 2 myself. I just cannot stand Pulaski.

I like conspiracy for the head explosion and wish they'd followed up on it at some point. Heck, the body horror of the idea would have been a perfect fit for DS9.

There are some gems among the 1st season stinkers, but even the stinkers are worth watching once just to see what they were trying and finding didn't work.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

MikeJF posted:

Sulu's planned scene where he meets an ancestor

Wait, the lone east Asian guy was supposed to meet his venerable ancestor? Jesus.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Wait, the lone east Asian guy was supposed to meet his venerable ancestor? Jesus.

His family's from San Francisco, so it does makes some sense to use him. Apparently: The script for Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home called for a scene shortly after Kirk told his crew to break up because they looked like a cadet review, Sulu encountered a young Japanese boy who mistook Sulu for his Uncle. Hikaru told the boy that he must be mistaken, and then asked the child for his name, which was revealed to be Akira Sulu, Hikaru's great-great-grandfather.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

His family's from San Francisco, so it does makes some sense to use him. Apparently: The script for Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home called for a scene shortly after Kirk told his crew to break up because they looked like a cadet review, Sulu encountered a young Japanese boy who mistook Sulu for his Uncle. Hikaru told the boy that he must be mistaken, and then asked the child for his name, which was revealed to be Akira Sulu, Hikaru's great-great-grandfather.

I believe that was one of the elements that Meyer originally wrote for Time After Time, but was unable to use (although in that version, HG Wells met his descendant). Anyway, they were all set to go with the scene on Voyage Home, and when it came time to film, the kid completely froze up and eventually started to cry.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

I think Takei and Nimoy both talk about it in their autobiography, but they tried all day until the sun went down and they couldn't film anymore. Kid just wasn't having it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

He also had a really overbearing mother who thought this was the boy's big break, so the minute they got on set she was all, "Oh, he LOVES Star Trek! And Mister Sulu is is FAVORITE! Isn't that right, sweetie? Right? RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT?!?!" In Takei's book, he says that he eventually told her to chill the gently caress out because she was scaring the poo poo out of her kid.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The Axanar dicks are going to trial.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/05/star-trek-fan-film-loses-fair-use-case-moves-to-jury-trial/

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

As discussed a few pages ago, the trial is going to be delicious.

Edit: Missed this earlier:

Namaer posted:

I've never heard of a cigar keeping someone warm. McCoy's reaction to her kissing Kirk is great too, this movie has a lot of fun character moments with those two.

It's also worth noting that Shatner took a pay cut on Undiscovered Country so DeForest Kelley's salary for the movie would hit $1 million for the first time.

Timby fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 7, 2017

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

What's going on with the ship's stations in TNG? No one seems to have a set job except for Tasha who is the security chief as she's told people like a half dozen times already.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Namaer posted:

What's going on with the ship's stations in TNG? No one seems to have a set job except for Tasha who is the security chief as she's told people like a half dozen times already.

They had too many characters, basically. Roddenberry was obsessed with having a Klingon on the bridge, so that wasn't going anywhere, but no one realized that there were entirely too many people on the bridge -- they hadn't figured out Data's character yet, LeVar Burton had nothing to do because Roddenberry loved the "blind man driving the ship" gimmick, Wesley was Wesley, Worf growled and Yar had rape gangs. It wasn't until Roddenberry's influence diminished beginning with the second season that they started getting a handle on the cast.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Namaer posted:

The station that's forward and to the captain's right as they're sitting in the captain's chair is the helm/naviagation/flight control (sometimes called "conn"), and forward and left of the captain is ops/comms. The panels behind the security station don't seem to have any one dedicated purpose and get used for lots of stuff.

In the first season, Geordi is the primary helmsman, Data is the Second Officer/Operations Officer/Science Officer (yeah he's got his hands full), and Worf is just a general bridge officer who kinda fills in as needed. Some of these positions change around a bit after the first season.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 7, 2017

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

I just heard the first reference to rape gangs and it was as ridiculous as I imagined it would be

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Just wait until you get to the Very Special Episode About Drugs. Its 80's as hell.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Evek posted:

Just wait until you get to the Very Special Episode About Drugs. Its 80's as hell.

And bonus, it has Kirk's son in it!

He died a year later from AIDS :(

Which, I guess, is also 80s as hell.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pakled posted:

The station that's forward and to the captain's right as they're sitting in the captain's chair is the helm/naviagation/flight control (sometimes called "conn"), and forward and left of the captain is ops/comms. The panels behind the security station don't seem to have any one dedicated purpose and get used for lots of stuff.

In the first season, Geordi is the primary helmsman, Data is the Second Officer/Operations Officer/Science Officer (yeah he's got his hands full), and Worf is just a general bridge officer who kinda fills in as needed. Some of these positions change around a bit after the first season.

The concept was that when they're just cruising along, you only really need three people on the bridge; the captain, the guy driving the ship, and the guy managing the ship's systems. There's still other people below decks doing stuff (which is supposedly a big part of what Operations Officer/OPS is doing, is allocating resource requests) but on a quiet day that's all you need on the bridge. The other stations are there for when things get more intense.

Timby posted:

They had too many characters, basically. Roddenberry was obsessed with having a Klingon on the bridge, so that wasn't going anywhere,

The Klingon on the bridge was Bob Justman's idea.

Namaer posted:

Tasha came to be when the producers went and saw Aliens together and fell in love with the hardass space marine woman whose name I'm totally spacing on right now. They decided they wanted someone like that to be head of security on the Enterprise. (and originally, they were thinking of casting Marina Sirtis for that role, and casting Denise Crosby for Troi!)

Unfortunately for Denise Crosby and Tasha, they couldn't be bothered to actually write much of a character for her beyond that. Reading the second book of The Fifty-Year Mission, I honestly get the impression poor Denise probably did more work trying to figure out her character than any of the writers did. I think Timby's right, I don't think the writing staff was ever able to properly cope with the cast of characters they had.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Hey Vasquez, you ever been mistaken for Marina Sirtis?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The Klingon on the bridge was Bob Justman's idea.

In fact, Roddenberry was strongly against it. He shot it down every time it was brought up. They gave up for a while until someone (I can't recall who) mentioned that you'd need a character who'd take over when the Battle Bridge was used and suggested a woman for the job. That's when Roddenberry relented and told them to make it a Klingon.

Says a lot about Roddenberry.

edit; Found the page from The 50 Year Mission

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 7, 2017

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

They had so many people on the bridge that anytime someone stood up another crewman would silently walk in and assume their post.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, as filmed, it's really weird that they have a character who's actually a San Franciscan and it never comes up.

Pwnstar posted:

They had so many people on the bridge that anytime someone stood up another crewman would silently walk in and assume their post.

I think the biggest missteps came from the early decision to expand the cast from TOS while focusing almost entirely on the bridge crew. In TOS, Scotty, McCoy, and Chapel usually weren't on the bridge and there was lots of action in the sick bay and engineering, but for early TNG, the only non-bridge regular was Dr. Crusher (who never got enough to do and mostly was just there to interact with her son and say "Jean-Luc" a lot). This also explains the weird rotating cast of chief engineers, O'Brien's tiny role, and the maddening decision to make Troi a bridge officer (with no job), have Wesley on the bridge a lot (again, with no job), and have Worf be just some random officer doing red shirt work. It's really telling that after Tasha died and Geordie went to engineering, they had two fewer regulars on the bridge (three after they jettisoned Wesley) and the whole thing worked fine -- better, in fact. I'm fairly convinced that the main reason most of the cast has no personalities and nothing to do in the first season is largely because it's really hard to write good scenes with six or seven major speaking parts (TOS usually only has about four real characters on the bridge), so most of the time it was just Picard and one or two others doing all the real talking while everyone else was lucky to get more than a couple lines.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Timby posted:

As discussed a few pages ago, the trial is going to be delicious.

Edit: Missed this earlier:

It's also worth noting that Shatner took a pay cut on Undiscovered Country so DeForest Kelley's salary for the movie would hit $1 million for the first time.

I read this first on Ars and did a double table when you appeared in the comments over there.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Big Mean Jerk posted:

In fact, Roddenberry was strongly against it. He shot it down every time it was brought up. They gave up for a while until someone (I can't recall who) mentioned that you'd need a character who'd take over when the Battle Bridge was used and suggested a woman for the job. That's when Roddenberry relented and told them to make it a Klingon.

Says a lot about Roddenberry.

edit; Found the page from The 50 Year Mission

I wouldn't be surprised if Roddenberry's resistance to Worf also stemmed from the Klingons being Gene Coon's invention.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It could have been a klingon woman!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Are the rape gangs gonna be referenced every episode?