Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Darchangel posted:

True. Though, that body style only goes back to '94, so not exempt in TX yet. Would have to keep all the LSx emissions, not that it's that difficult.
I'm also getting kind of old, so I'd probably be relatively happy with a 4L60, especially if I want to use it as a truck rather than a lowered sports thing. The 4.3/auto combo is easy to find.
The really hard S10/Sonoma to find is the four door. For one thing, every one I've seen is a 4x4.

I don't think it was available as a 2wd. I've never seen one, at least. And every one I've seen is a ratty rear end Z71.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yup, the first 20 seconds hit waaaay too close to home.

That said, I didn't find my 2.5L Ranger to be all that hard to work on.

:hfive: I had the 2.5L 2wd and it was infinitely better than the 3-point-slow in all regards. I remember it being cake to work on as well.

Fun fact: it will actually haul 2000 lbs of rock in the bed (yes, completely on bump stops) up a fairly steep hill.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

:hfive: I had the 2.5L 2wd and it was infinitely better than the 3-point-slow in all regards. I remember it being cake to work on as well.

Fun fact: it will actually haul 2000 lbs of rock in the bed (yes, completely on bump stops) up a fairly steep hill.

rear end down, face up, that's the way we like to... crawl along side streets!

I did at least five or six loads like that with very light steering.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

iwentdoodie posted:

I don't think it was available as a 2wd. I've never seen one, at least. And every one I've seen is a ratty rear end Z71.

You referring to the S10? We got two of them, both 2wd.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

IOwnCalculus posted:

This is a whole other level of AI.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I hauled sod in my 83 ranger for a summer.

Very light steering.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is a whole other level of AI.

:smuggo:

I will say I had practically blocked my memory of the one job on that truck that was a total clusterfuck, the water pump. Even then that was partly the PO's fault for slapping a bunch of RTV on something that was supposed to go together dry.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Wheew, I am glad I am not the only one. I hauled laminate flooring in an almost identical Ranger once. The boxes were stacked to just a couple inches below cab height. The 70 mile drive was not fun. Like you said, steering almost non-existent.
That was the last time I overloaded a truck.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Obviously the solution is to put a hitch on the front and mount a tow hitch rack on it so you can load up with some counterweight.

Because based on the loads I see people carrying around those shelves can hold almost infinite weight.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Darchangel posted:

Pennsylvania doesn't allow any other headlights when your high beams are on? What the gently caress? What sense does that make? When you have the high beams on, you want all the light you can get... My Cutlass runs all four headlights on high from the factory.

Plenty of states have the same requirement. That's why most/all vehicles have a switch designed to prevent high beams and fogs from being on at the same time. A car that is a minimum of 18 years old probably isn't the best example.

Edit: I know that Toyota, Chrysler, and Ford all use this kind of switch.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
His Cutlass also has high beam filaments in all four headlights, so when the high beams are on it is only the high beams. I don't think they burn the low beam filaments at the same time, unless his dimmer switch is different from mine.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That was pretty awesome

"Maybe tow it out? Nah, let's drive it out"

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Coredump posted:

You referring to the S10? We got two of them, both 2wd.

We're talking specifically about the 4-door variant.

2- and 3-doors were available 2WD, certainly.

Godholio posted:

Plenty of states have the same requirement. That's why most/all vehicles have a switch designed to prevent high beams and fogs from being on at the same time. A car that is a minimum of 18 years old probably isn't the best example.

Edit: I know that Toyota, Chrysler, and Ford all use this kind of switch.

Well, that makes sense, because if it's foggy, you're an idiot to use high beams. My RX-7 does that, and my wife's Kia. The way RCR guy said it would make my Cutlass illegal

Raluek posted:

His Cutlass also has high beam filaments in all four headlights, so when the high beams are on it is only the high beams. I don't think they burn the low beam filaments at the same time, unless his dimmer switch is different from mine.

Almost. It's got low beams on the outside headlights, and high beams on the inside headlights, but it doesn't turn off the low beam pair when you go to high beam. I think. Now you've got me doubting myself. Pretty sure all four are on in high beam.

<Googles furiously>

OK, looks like the H5001 is high-beam only (inner, on my car), and H5006 is hi/low, like a 7" (outer, on my car.) So, yeah, all four on for high beam, outers on low setting for low beam.

You Am I posted:

That was pretty awesome

"Maybe tow it out? Nah, let's drive it out"

It was.
They hand-cranked it!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Rules I've seen allow 4 lights (total) with high beams. Seems like that would be a federal and not state thing.

Fogs + high beams is counter productive. You want light down the road, not right in front of you.

jamal fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 5, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

jamal posted:

Rules I've seen allow 4 lights with high beams. Seems like that would be a federal and not state thing.

Fogs + high beams is counter productive. You want light down the road, not right in front of you.

Exactly!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Law here is you can have 2 driving lights than can only be on with high beams, and 2 fog lights than can only be on with low beams, all of them have to be lower than the center line of the headlights. so you can have 2 sets of auxiliary lights, but can't legally have them both on at the same time.

There are a lot of dickheads with light bars on their hood/roof though.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

<Googles furiously>

OK, looks like the H5001 is high-beam only (inner, on my car), and H5006 is hi/low, like a 7" (outer, on my car.) So, yeah, all four on for high beam, outers on low setting for low beam.

I was gonna say, I'd be surprised if it was significantly different from my Impala, where the outer two have low and high filaments, and the inners only have a high filament. I doubt they leave the low filaments on when they light up the high beam filaments, that would be counter productive.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
http://i.imgur.com/FuSPLHn.mp4

:australia:

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

I was half-expecting it to snap in half over the first bump when they started driving it down. :stonk:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Sorry for the potato phone picture. My 2000 outback wasn't a very good one ton truck. It did, however, get the job done.

EDIT: more abuse

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

That's right proper usage of an Outback, good work.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

That first pic gives me the fear. Wouldn't want to an emergency stop with that in the back.

I bought some cheap foor tiles for redoing our kitchen, but had to pick them up. No bother, me plus the tiles equalled the roughly max carrrying capacity of my e46 estate. Loaded as much as I could in the rear, and carefully placed the rest in the back passenger side and foot wells so they hopefully wouldn't kill me in a crash. It drove fine, but somehow failed it's next MOT on broken rear springs.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

stump posted:

That first pic gives me the fear. Wouldn't want to an emergency stop with that in the back.

I bought some cheap foor tiles for redoing our kitchen, but had to pick them up. No bother, me plus the tiles equalled the roughly max carrrying capacity of my e46 estate. Loaded as much as I could in the rear, and carefully placed the rest in the back passenger side and foot wells so they hopefully wouldn't kill me in a crash. It drove fine, but somehow failed it's next MOT on broken rear springs.

It's funny you say that, about year later i junked the car because the, ahem, rear subframe broken in half. The car was terminally rusty, but i doubt 2000lbs of stone helped....
That car was the biggest pile of poo poo i've ever owned. Sometimes you win buying used cars, sometimes you let your game down and buy a lemon. This was that.

EDIT: Emergency stop? How cute, you're assuming the brakes didn't go all the way to the floor and i just plain didn't care. Passing safety inspection is more about who you know and what kind of beer they like than how safe your car is...

chrisgt fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 5, 2017

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

My riding dirty pic- 20+ cases of beer from back when I was production manager there. Cruised like santa, bringing short fills to the masses.

FWIW, avoid worn out CIMEC lines if you can.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Raluek posted:

I was gonna say, I'd be surprised if it was significantly different from my Impala, where the outer two have low and high filaments, and the inners only have a high filament. I doubt they leave the low filaments on when they light up the high beam filaments, that would be counter productive.

FMVSS 108 specifies that if there are separate lights arranged horizontally, the inners are the highs and outers are lows. That jumped out at me while I was looking for something else.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I love it when people use their tractors.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWx-Lx99Ask

This Has always amazed me. Guy builds mini Ferrai in his garage..... And it works. Hand made engine and components, working brakes and gear box.

wildemere
Nov 19, 2013
500kg or ~1100lb in my Falcon. Does it easy. Probably take more.

Attended Bandimere & Sonoma 2015, was awesome.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

chrisgt posted:

Sorry for the potato phone picture. My 2000 outback wasn't a very good one ton truck. It did, however, get the job done.

EDIT: more abuse

I wish I had taken a pic of my 09 with half a pallet of flooring Laminate in the back. It was like 1200-1300 lbs.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I once loaded 8 people into my Taurus, with the split being 3 normies/5 fatasses, myself included. Easily 1500 lb, fenders were rubbing the rear tires except when cresting hills on I-4. I can't find a GVWR for it, but I imagine that handily exceeds it, car was approaching 5,000lb.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

It's hard to tell, but I have the seats folded down. That's actually two pallets deep of stone there.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRIJaGJmu0I

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Watched this last night, definite pro click. There's some good poo poo in that video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA5YGVusNf8

MCM posted a behind the scenes sorta look at the Subarute and the Roadkill / MCM video.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZvfhcSoPOs

This was a really cool rundown of an automotive scam that I had no idea existed.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The ford GT ordering kit they send to owners to help them pick their colors and materials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHAAGlSl02w

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Memento posted:

This was a really cool rundown of an automotive scam that I had no idea existed.

Dude needs to invest in a pop filter or something because goddamn that audio was painful to listen to.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0117-277601/2011-holden-ute-pickup/

Daaaaaaaamn

Somebody got a LHD holden ute for $33k.

edit: the prettiest hornét

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0117-267887/1977-amc-amx-hornet/

edit 2: !!!!!

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0117-268201/1983-toyota-tacoma-pickup/

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 7, 2017

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Oh hey, my boss and one of my coworkers was at that today. I got a few pictures texted to me. Some good looking cars there.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I love this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Powershift posted:

The ford GT ordering kit they send to owners to help them pick their colors and materials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHAAGlSl02w

Kinda disappointed at how inelegant the case design is.