Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider
My first grade teacher had this classroom currency she gave out at least once a week. You got a penny guaranteed every week, with extras for good behavior and performance. For one penny at the end of the week you could have her read a storybook of your choosing from the library. Inevitably every week she would end up reading the Gremlins book which was a little picture book of the plot of Gremlins. Some kids watched the movie because they liked the book. This, predictably, did not go well. Movies are not picture books.

Why there was a picture book of Gremlins is anyone's guess. It was the 80s :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

kiimo posted:

My 15 year old brother worked in a theater when I was 4 or 5 and took me to see a special after-hours screening of Jaws.

I wouldn't go near waterbeds much less actual pools.

I was scared of waterbeds due to Nightmare on Elm Street when Johnny Depp gets eaten by his bed.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
There was a cartoon of Robocop. Pretty sure you could buy Freddy Krueger bed sheets. Hell Rambo had a cartoon, complete with toy line. I still have my posable plastic Sly holding my charger cords on my bedside table.

God bless the 80s.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

kiimo posted:

My 15 year old brother worked in a theater when I was 4 or 5 and took me to see a special after-hours screening of Jaws.

I wouldn't go near waterbeds much less actual pools.

I remember in the 90s, seeing something on TV where sharks had infested a swimming pool, which freaked me out for a while. Can anyone recall what that might have been? I don't know if it was a tv show or a movie.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Who framed roger rabbit and Indiana Jones and the last crusade for mine

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Phylodox posted:

There was a cartoon of Robocop. Pretty sure you could buy Freddy Krueger bed sheets. Hell Rambo had a cartoon, complete with toy line. I still have my posable plastic Sly holding my charger cords on my bedside table.

God bless the 80s.

So many toys based on R rated films.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Cartoon Robocop: "...alive, you're coming with me."

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT3cl4GJIDs

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Madkal posted:

The scariest thing for me was the movie The Witches based on the Roald Dahl book. Just seeing Anjelica Houston transform freaked me out for months.

Monster Truck looks like the most earnest movie made in the last 20 years or so.

:rip: earnest movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o2V3Uj3xjA

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Jesus, they ruined the best part of Conan: the music.

https://youtu.be/W5K3AKl5qpc Such a great movie :allears: he gets drunk and high too, not really kids show stuff.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Seeing Jurassic Park in theaters was one of the highlights of my childhood, especially as a kid who was obsessed with dinosaurs. Also scared the poo poo out of me, but scary parts really made those kinds of movies memorable as kids. See also: the Neverending Story.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Rough Lobster posted:

Seeing Jurassic Park in theaters was one of the highlights of my childhood, especially as a kid who was obsessed with dinosaurs. Also scared the poo poo out of me, but scary parts really made those kinds of movies memorable as kids. See also: the Neverending Story.

With me and the Neverending story the scary bits didnt do anything to me but the Rockbiter freaked me out, along with the Skeksis from the Dark Crystal. Because my parents recorded both movies off of HBO back in the 80s, the HBO intros used to make me anxious when I was a kid because it meant to me that my sister was going to watch the Neverending story or the Dark Crystal and I didnt want to be in the room when that went down. Also Jabba in ROTJ freaked me out which made SW loving like 6 year old me have to fast forward to post rescue for a bit

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Freddy Krueger bed sheets for children has to be near the top on the list of bizarre marketing ideas. The meeting where they came up with that must have been fascinating.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

FreudianSlippers posted:

Doesn't the Brother's Lionheart and with the kids throwing themselves of a roof to get back to the fantasy world?

It starts with them throwing themselves out of a window cause their building is on fire & the younger brother has tuberculosis. The older brother dies, but saves the younger brother (cause he lands on him). Then the younger brother dies from the tuberculosis anyway. Then they both show up in Nangijala (no idea how it's spelled in English, this is the Danish, not the original Swedish, spelling). Okay that's fine, but then after the whole Nangijala thing with Katla the dragon and the medieval thing & stuff, I think one of the brothers die, and then the other brother is just like "welp" and kills himself and then he meets the dead brother in Nangilima

The message being: If your life is poo poo or your people are dead? Just kill yourself and hang out with them. It's very hosed up.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

Freddy Krueger bed sheets for children has to be near the top on the list of bizarre marketing ideas. The meeting where they came up with that must have been fascinating.

It involved a lot of trying to discretely clear nasal passages, that's for certain

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Opening night for Freddy vs. Jason the theater was 75% kids cheering the whole time, I'm guessing the numbers were similar back when the sheets were made.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Powaqoatse posted:

The message being: If your life is poo poo or your people are dead? Just kill yourself and hang out with them. It's very hosed up.

I've never seen the film, but in the book, everything taking place in Nangijala is part of the younger brother's dream while he lies in bed, dying from tuberculosis. In that sense, his plunge at the end is less about endorsing suicide and more about him overcoming his fear of impending death and accepting mortality.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Another goon I know (don't know if he reads this thread) was telling me that the kids in his class (he's a second grade teacher) looooooooooove Chucky from the Child's Play movies which seemed like the most random and hilarious thing to me.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

FishBulb posted:

My mom took me to see Gremlins when it was originally released because she thought Gizmo was cute.

I ran out of the theater into the lobby

I woulda been 5 or 6

My parent tooks to me to the Princess Bride as my first theater movie when I was that age. When the Rodents of Unusual Size appeared, I ran from my seat screaming. My parents had to chase me through the theater for several minutes and then we got kicked out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

Opening night for Freddy vs. Jason the theater was 75% kids cheering the whole time, I'm guessing the numbers were similar back when the sheets were made.

It was this at my theater except it got completely silent at Freddys "dark meat" line and didnt recover.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

69 isn't really that old.

but it is the sex number.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

The late 80's/early 90's were quite a time for cartoons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf2_g52p__Y

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wasn't really scared of too much as a kid. Skeletons kinda creeped me out a little bit, but the only thing that really got me was this fucker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsJjfS-i2zM

Took me years to finally be able to watch that part of the film.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 7, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Phylodox posted:

God bless the 80s.

Everyone was trying to sell Rambo knives after First Blood came out. Every flea market and various ads in the back of magazines were peddling knock-offs. Buddy in 3rd grade or whatever brought one into school. Who knows if the compass worked or if it was able to stitch wounds, but it was cool.

Without the knife and the M60, I wonder how far the legacy of that movie would have gone.

And agreed, god bless the 80s. We would have be labeled terrorists back then and I'd be spending my adolescent years in Supermax.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

I wasn't really scared of too much as a kid. Skeletons kinda creeped me out a little bit, but the only thing that really got me was this fucker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsJjfS-i2zM

Took me years to finally be able to watch that part of the film.

That's nastier than I remember.

I'm a big fan of the first 3 movies but I'd forgotten how drippy that scene was.

Nice job on the practical effects, people.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I remember being allowed to watch Alien when I was about 6.

I thought the Chestburster was cute.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

There was a horror movie I saw as a kid that messed me up for weeks but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called.

It involved some people getting picked off on a large boat or cruise liner one by one by an unseen monster. And one of the women turns into the monster, at the end of the movie we see her awful CGI form tear a guy in half. And at the beginning of the movie the main guy has an incomprehensible vision about how everyone's going to die?

Might have messed up some details

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Phylodox posted:

There was a cartoon of Robocop.

i think it was the second robocop cartoon but i can't find this clip anywhere but it has one of the funniest bits. i think robocop and the girl sidekick are in the helicopter or something.

girl: i'm too young to die! i never got to finish war and peace!

robocop: the north wins *rolls out*

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
The only horror movie that messed me up as a kid around 9, and I don't know how I came across seeing it, is Event Horizon. It wasn't even the gore, it was the overwhelming sense of despair and hopelessness that they're all hosed.

Edit: fixed from core to gore, phone posting

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 7, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SciFiDownBeat posted:

There was a horror movie I saw as a kid that messed me up for weeks but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called.

It involved some people getting picked off on a large boat or cruise liner one by one by an unseen monster. And one of the women turns into the monster, at the end of the movie we see her awful CGI form tear a guy in half. And at the beginning of the movie the main guy has an incomprehensible vision about how everyone's going to die?

Might have messed up some details

Not for nothing, but that sounds identical to a student film I made and won an award for in the mid-90s :v:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

My mom let me watch The Fly when it was on TV one night when I was about 10. We got to the bit where he transports the monkey and it comes out all deformed and hosed up. The channel cuts to a commerical immediately afterwards, and my mom decided it was bedtime!

It felt like I laid in bed awake all night waiting for an inside-out monkey to come up the stairs and get me. 20 years later I've still never rewatched it.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

The commercials for the grudge gave me nightmares because there is a naked blue boy who meows like a cat and naked blue boys don't do that

Also existential dread whenever any alien showed up on screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjkHPq-aR5E

Jesus loving Christ Speilburg I just wanted to watch Shrek 2

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

DurosKlav posted:

Also Jabba in ROTJ freaked me out

Speaking of RotJ, the Emperor using force lightning on Luke always made me uncomfortable as a kid. I had (have?) a hard time watching anything where the hero goes through a lot of pain/gets severely beaten up.

When I was young, I stumbled upon my dad's copy of the comic issue where Bane breaks Batman's back. Being a stupid kid, I thought he flat-out killed him, and had an irrational phobia of Bane for years. I actually turned the TV off when he showed up in the animated series episode "Over The Edge" and didn't finish watching it until my sister spoiled that most of the episode was a dream (I was thinking I was in middle- or even high-school when this happened, but according to imdb I would have been 12 when the episode first aired, which isn't quite as bad as I'd thought).

"Movie/TV moments that hosed you up as a kid" could pretty much be its own thread at this point.

fake edit:

Sirotan posted:

My mom let me watch The Fly when it was on TV one night when I was about 10. We got to the bit where he transports the monkey and it comes out all deformed and hosed up. The channel cuts to a commerical immediately afterwards, and my mom decided it was bedtime!

It felt like I laid in bed awake all night waiting for an inside-out monkey to come up the stairs and get me. 20 years later I've still never rewatched it.

Oh God, I still can't watch The Fly after catching it on TV as a kid. My older sister warned me that it was pretty gory, but I figured "They're showing it on regular TV, surely they'll edit out any nasty stuff." Ha!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

precision posted:

Not for nothing, but that sounds identical to a student film I made and won an award for in the mid-90s :v:

Thanks a lot rear end in a top hat!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
When I was like 5, I was channel-flipping on the little TV in my room and Aliens was on FX. It was exactly at the moment where Bishop gets ganked by the Alien Queen, and I had no idea what the hell was going on and was a bit terrified.

I'm pretty sure that's what set me on a path to loving the Alien movies.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Which Fly are we taking about here, the original or BrundleFly? I saw both when I was young and BrundleFly is definitely the more hosed up of the two and has parts that still stick with me (like the arm wrestling match or the part where he starts dissolving people with his vomit), but the fly stuck in the web at the end of the original was pretty horrifying too.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sirotan posted:

It took me until my twenties before I could handle the Nazi face-melting scene in Raiders. And they show that scene unedited on broadcast TV.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The library scene in Ghostbusters, the flaming kabob in Temple of Doom, the Gremlins, the opening mugging in Batman.

What I'm trying to say is I was a real chickenshit kid.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

raditts posted:

Which Fly are we taking about here, the original or BrundleFly? I saw both when I was young and BrundleFly is definitely the more hosed up of the two and has parts that still stick with me (like the arm wrestling match or the part where he starts dissolving people with his vomit), but the fly stuck in the web at the end of the original was pretty horrifying too.

I was talking about BrundleFly. The arm-wrestling was the part that really made me go "I don't know if I should watch this". At some point I finally changed the channel, but curiosity got the best of me a while later, and I switched back towards the end just in time to see the final transformation. Impressive creature effects, I'll give it that, but man oh man does it really nail the "body horror" aspect of it all.

A few years ago, I was wondering if I was just being overly sensitive as a kid, and watched the ending on YouTube. Nope, the transformation + the acid vomit still makes me queasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My mother bought me Alien Trading Cards as a kid. I was terrified of the facehuggers before I even saw the movie!

• Locked thread