Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

JohnGalt posted:

This was me until my family started gifting me old furniture to fill my apartment. Still buy food in bulk and will eat the same meal for a week.

God drat, that reminds of me of that weird "how to care for a cat" video. Haven't seen it in years, but I'll always remember: "Much like an engineer, cats are perfectly content to eat the same thing day after day" (or something like that)

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Is that really an engineer stereotype?

I'm an engineer and I eat the same thing every day with the exception of 2 cheat meals/week

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.

quote:

I have converted 100% of my remaining net worth into BTC over the past day and am waiting on the sidelines to buy the quarterly as soon as we see a decent red candle. All cash, all savings in bank, all sellable assets (that I could liquify) now in BTC. I have enough in the bank to pay reoccurring payments like netflix and gym membership for a month, and 1 month of credit card payments.

bitcoin guy from earlier is not doing that great:

https://www.reddit.com/user/extratrading

quote:

gently caress this poo poo and gently caress bitcoin. I never want to hear the word again. I dont care if it goes to the moon im out. I just want to live a happy modest life when you get your hopes up and they are destroyed there is no worse feeling. I dont give a rats rear end if you think im trolling or not i think we can safely say im not walking away from this one unscathed

quote:

I'm still addicted to staring at the charts while thinking of ways to invest and start trading again. I am done with it, it can gently caress off, I just have to make my money back.
I'm thinking this is a good place to call the bottom and YOLO long 50x hopefully either catch a dead cat bounce or resumption of bull.

quote:

Guys please. I hope you are right about a bounce. I just went all in with the rest of my meager funds, lucky it took a while to confirm otherwise I would have bought in just before the drop. I am now 25x long from 845 with 808 liquidation. Please save me and let me have my losses back. I cannot deal with this anymore.

quote:

My trading account got rekt for everything. Still had 4 coins in cold storage that I deposited. Lost 30 coins over the last 2 days overall.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Gorman Thomas posted:

I'm an engineer and I eat the same thing every day with the exception of 2 cheat meals/week

Lots of engineers, sort of by definition, see efficiency as the one of the highest virtues. Cooking cheap food in bulk is efficient.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Guilty as charged :v: but I usually only do bulk meals for breakfasts. The cafeteria at work is worse than school cafeteria food and it takes too long to get lunch out (nothing within walking distance).

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Gorman Thomas posted:

Yea, as embodied by the Soylent guy who decided he could efficiency food down to core nutrients and not have to waste time chewing or interacting with people.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
I've eaten the same breakfast before work for 4 years. Oatmeal, frozen fruit, tablespoon of peanut butter, protein powder.

I do mix up the fruit though. Sometimes I get a little wild and buy something fresh.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
My horror at the idea of eating the same thing every day knows no bounds, and I still cook batch meals for myself and do cost effective shopping.

Guys guys guys - spices. Multiple grains. Different cooking methods. Chicken and rice can be done so many different ways.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Hufflepuff or bust! posted:

Thank you! When I saw that it was tanking again my thoughts wandered to him.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Engineers are the idiots in the 60s eho thought that in the future meals would just be a series of food pills because that is efficient beep boop beep what is sociocultural food norms

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

cowofwar posted:

Engineers are the idiots in the 60s eho thought that in the future meals would just be a series of food pills because that is efficient beep boop beep what is sociocultural food norms

No because engineers did the math to figure out how many pills you'd need to swallow to take in 2000 calories per day.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Ashcans posted:

Yea, as embodied by the Soylent guy who decided he could efficiency food down to core nutrients and not have to waste time chewing or interacting with people.

Food poisoning from moldy products isn't very efficient though. You lose a lot of nutrients from making GBS threads/puking your guts out.

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

monster on a stick posted:

No because engineers did the math to figure out how many pills you'd need to swallow to take in 2000 calories per day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81eKLe_j7sc

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Clearly:

quote:

OK GG im out this forum is chinese a chinese fetish fest anyway I'm done never posting again

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bad With Money - a chinese fetish fest

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Don't put all of your eggs in one basket, especially if the basket is a cryptocurrency.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Looking at his posts it seems bitcoiners have gotten past the "No, fees*" stage and are now at "fees are a feature"

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

LLCoolJD posted:

Don't put all of your eggs in one basket, especially if the basket is a cryptocurrency.

And especially if your basket is 100x leveraged

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Mocking Bird posted:

My horror at the idea of eating the same thing every day knows no bounds, and I still cook batch meals for myself and do cost effective shopping.

Guys guys guys - spices. Multiple grains. Different cooking methods. Chicken and rice can be done so many different ways.

I've gotten some pretty weird looks from my coworkers when i eat an whole unsalted/unseasoned sous vide chicken breast out of a bag like some sort of techno-cro-magnon.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yup that sounds well deserved

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My coworkers all give me odd stares as I squeeze food paste into my nutrient tank connected directly to my large intestine. Weirdos.

naughty_penguin
Oct 9, 2005
Fun Shoe

Moneyball posted:

We're currently in a rough patch, as she's having doubts I can live up to my end of her expectations, career-wise. When I asked what she expected us to make combined, her answer was $500,000 a year in our prime earning years. We're 29 and 32, not naive college students, and it is certainly possible if one or both of us opens a business, but that's her expectation rather than her goal. She balked at spending over $1,000 for an apartment in the Boston area and spends like she earns $20,000 a year, so I have no idea what she would even spend it on. She's surrounded by Chinese friends who have been starting businesses, so I think it's a case of keeping up with the Zhongses.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA this is the least realistic monetary expectation I have seen in the entirety of this thread. Living in Boston is definitely BWM :smith:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Hey you can spend less than $1000 for a place in Boston, providing you're ok renting a room in a shared house with a bunch of students!

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

flosofl posted:

God drat, that reminds of me of that weird "how to care for a cat" video. Haven't seen it in years, but I'll always remember: "Much like an engineer, cats are perfectly content to eat the same thing day after day" (or something like that)

Here ya go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXBL6bzAR4&t=87s

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Vox Nihili posted:

It's almost certainly a real, unsecured personal loan (issued by an entity closely related to Prosper, but if it's anything like Lending Club, legally distinct). Depending on whether he is making his payments or not it could be racking up unpaid interest and penalties beyond its regular rate, and yes, it could bloat up in size. If he misses enough payments I believe they will write off the debt on their books (really the users' books [but legally on the distinct entity's books!]) and sell it out to collection. I think the users can also sell their own individual stakes in the loan; on Lending Club users typically "own" $25 or $50 chunks as securitized notes rather than an entire loan. Since the loan itself is very real, if he's behind on payments or if he defaults he will take a big hit to his credit. The good news is that since this is an unsecured internet loan it's less likely that he'll face a bunch of harassment and his property isn't going to be seized, though who knows what will happen after the bad debt is sold.

To be clear, it's unlikely the folks actually lending him money ever knew it was for a microbrewery startup, likely it was listed as a "business loan" or similar. Here's what "investors" see when they manually browse the loans at Lending Club:

Good credit/low-risk:

Bad credit/high-risk:

Wowza, that 30% return on a small business loan at the bottom looks sick! Let's click on it for more details:

The Credit History is a real credit pull done by Lending Club (or whatever entity they use for that task). The Profile information is self-reported, i.e., unverified. Why is this Maintenance Engineer looking to borrow $20k over a 5-year term at 30% interest? That, dear investor, is simply unknowable.

The business loan market is a scary place. There are no regulations around predatory lending for businesses and the online alternative lending market has seized on this in a big way, especially when you're using other people's money in a crowdfunding scheme. People can get algorithmically approved for loans in minutes with 0 human interaction over review and even the crowdfunders are investing in these loans using their own auto-investing algos. poo poo's going to collapse eventually. A single market downturn that puts an ounce of pressure on these borrowers will reveal almost all of those loans to be poo poo.

The other scummy products that I see from business lenders are things like "merchant cash advances" where you tell Amazon or Paypal or any other merchant processor what you think your business receipts will be over the next few months and then they simply skim 10% of your bank account deposits for x number of months in exchange for some upfront cash. These often turn out to be 150%+ APR in practice. Anytime I see a cash only business, I assume they got burned on these.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

My coworkers all give me odd stares as I squeeze food paste into my nutrient tank connected directly to my large intestine. Weirdos.

Maybe because they know you'll get nothing out of it unless you reconnect to your small intestine?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Mr. Nice! posted:

Considering that some of the biggest darlings of the tech bubble have been based on literal fraud, criminal exploitation of workers, and flagrant disregard of regulations, there is certainly some other less than legal activity that will be the subject of various lawsuits over the coming years. I'm entirely speculating, however.
No, you're gambling.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Struensee posted:

Maybe because they know you'll get nothing out of it unless you reconnect to your small intestine?

Quit nutrient shaming.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

mastershakeman posted:

500k a year combined at age 30 is doable for the elite of the elite who probably would also have tons of debt (doctors fresh out of residency, big law associates, etc). Even senior vice presidents at huge companies probably aren't pulling in a ton more than that.

Then again maybe in the silicon valley bubble it's not all that much? What a weird number to shoot for
It's about the combined salary of two software engineers who've been working at Microsoft/Facebook/Google for 5 years.

So plausible in bubble land, but a wholly unreasonable floor for poverty anxiety.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I know multiple couples in their 20s with a combined income over $1,000,000 a year, it's really not hard when you have an attorney and a tech bro living in Denver/SF/Seattle/NY. But of course you're never going to make that unless you go to the places where the good jobs are, sorry that doesn't include Indiana.

BWM: focusing on the cost of rent when you can make 10x more, who gives a poo poo about rent. If you're a smart person go to where the other smart people are, ignore all the dumb people in your life who will shriek about the cost of living. It could not matter less.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 8, 2017

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

Pryor on Fire posted:

I know multiple couples in their 20s with a combined income over $1,000,000 a year, it's really not hard when you have an attorney and a tech bro living in Denver/SF/Seattle/NY. But of course you're never going to make that unless you go to the places where the good jobs are, sorry that doesn't include Indiana.

Uh, no that's still incredibly rare and hard. 8th year associates at big law firms make about $350k, 1st year more like $150k. That's nowhere near a million, even with two of them or someone making a very very unusual $300k early on in tech.

http://abovethelaw.com/2016/06/salary-wars-scorecard-which-firms-have-announced-raises/

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

Opening a bank account for someone else?

There is this girl that I know. I've helped her out in the past and she has had sex with me in return. Recently, she has been acting pretty fishy with me. She has my phone number and she hit me up a few days ago and she asked me "open up a bank account in my name for her". She said she has someone " doing a job for her" and she with get $3000. She said shed give me 600 and also do me some other"favors". This seems really shady. I asked her if what she is doing with the bank account is legal and she said it isn't. What's the worst that could happen if I open up a bank account in my name for her?

quote:

It could be an ordinary fake check scam. She will present you with a fake check for $3000, which you'll deposit into your account. You will then give her $2400 and keep $600 for yourself.

A few days later, the bank discovers the check is fake. Now you owe them $2400. And she's in the wind.

The bank is unlikely to accept sex as payment.

quote:

What's the worst that could happen if I open up a bank account in my name for her?

You would be a co-conspirator or an accessory to whatever crime she's committing.

quote:

What crime could she possibly be committing?

Money laundering comes immediately to mind.

quote:

What is that?

Are.... are you serious...?

Remember in Breaking Bad when they bought the car wash to turn their illegal money into legitimate earnings? That's money laundering. DO NOT DO THIS.

One Month Later...

quote:

Lost $15k to debit card cracking scam. Bank isnt helping

Basically, I met this girl online and she asked me to give her my debit card and pin number to my debit card. She told me she would do some transactions on the card and she would pay me $1500 to give her my debit card. The debit card was linked to my checking account which had $10k in it. She withdrew the 10k and also deposited three counterfeit checks She withdrew the money from the counterfeit checks before the bank found out the checks were fake. Then my account got a negative balance and I had to pay over $5k. The girl blocked me number too and never paid me either. I reported the cars as lost to the bank and they denied all my claims.

Do I have any recourse for this? The bank told me I'm responsible for everything that happened since i gave the pin out. Is there any way for me to get the money back? Location: CHICAGO ILLINOIS

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Academician Nomad posted:

Uh, no that's still incredibly rare and hard. 8th year associates at big law firms make about $350k, 1st year more like $150k. That's nowhere near a million, even with two of them or someone making a very very unusual $300k early on in tech.

http://abovethelaw.com/2016/06/salary-wars-scorecard-which-firms-have-announced-raises/

Yeah nobody I know wants to slave away for 20 years to be a partner at some stuffy east coast firm when they can get equity at a startup instead. Also nobody works their single career anymore, they also start their own things on the side too. Actually of the four lawyers I know under 40 only one is still doing traditional lawyering full time, the other three have all started business that put them waaaaay over 300k a year, closer to 3000k a year on average. And if you think 300k a year is unusual for someone with 5 years experience in tech in Seattle then you're misinformed. Sure if you're still slaving away as a lovely programmer you'll never make that, but if you have talent and skill and make connections and move forward you will.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Academician Nomad posted:

Nah seriously it's really not hard to get into the 0.1%, the other 99.9% of people are just lazy as gently caress.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah nobody I know wants to slave away for 20 years to be a partner at some stuffy east coast firm when they can get equity at a startup instead. Also nobody works their single career anymore, they also start their own things on the side too. Actually of the four lawyers I know under 40 only one is still doing traditional lawyering full time, the other three have all started business that put them waaaaay over 300k a year, closer to 3000k a year on average. And if you think 300k a year is unusual for someone with 5 years experience in tech in Seattle then you're misinformed. Sure if you're still slaving away as a lovely programmer you'll never make that, but if you have talent and skill and make connections and move forward you will.

Cool story, but this is not at all representative of your typical lawyer or hell even your typical entrepreneur. Most of us scratch a living off of our JDs and pull $100k to $300k once established. Which is fine when you're not in Seattle and a 4BR/2.5 home costs ~$250k.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Pryor on Fire posted:

I wish I could be like you, but I'm just not smart enough. Also, I'm not a self righteous rear end in a top hat.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Why would the few "smart" people making that kind of money associate with Pryor, who is so dumb he doesn't even realize how uncommon it is?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Lol dude come on. I live in Seattle and have worked at Google for about ten years and my family income is a deece seven figgies and even I know that is very unusual. Get real.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
"Bank isn't helping" what a loving jamook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Pryor on Fire posted:

Lmao you don't understand statistics and still think you have a chance of being a good programmer.

• Locked thread