Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Young Freud posted:

It took me until my twenties before I could handle the Nazi face-melting scene in Raiders. And they show that scene unedited on broadcast TV.

When I was a kid, my parents always made me close my eyes during the heart-ripping scene in Temple of Doom when we watched it, but had no problems with the face-melting in Raiders and the ultra-aging in Crusade.

When I got a little older and watched the Indy movies again, I found Temple of Doom to be by far the tamest of the three, so I don't really know what my parents were thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Trailer for Communion hosed me hardcore for the part where the alien peeks around from behind the corner. The movie itself is loving hilarious.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Some of my earliest memories are of my parents taking me to see loving Poltergeist at a drive-in theatre*. The tree trying to eat the son seriously hosed me up. I remember dubbing it the Daddy Eating Tree, but I don't remember why, since it obviously tries to eat Robbie, not Steven. Maybe I thought the tree was someone's father? Oh, and the scene where the guy claws his own face off just loving ruined me for years.

* 1983 was a goddamned terrifying year for me, I guess.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My mom made me look away during Raiders' face melting scene when I'd watch it, taped off HBO. I eventually decided to keep them open and it didn't bother me that much.

VHS really lent itself to repeated watchings due to lack of other options, ironic in that it's the home format that holds up the worst to that. I guy I work with was babysitting his niece one day and the only thing she wanted to so was watch Howard the Duck on repeat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Young Freud posted:

It took me until my twenties before I could handle the Nazi face-melting scene in Raiders. And they show that scene unedited on broadcast TV.

That's because Nazis are unquestionably evil and it's completely acceptable to show whatever happening to them :colbert: :911:

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Len posted:

That's because Nazis are unquestionably evil and it's completely acceptable to show whatever happening to them :colbert: :911:

I'm from Bydgoszcz and I say kill 'em all!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jack Gladney posted:

The Trailer for Communion hosed me hardcore for the part where the alien peeks around from behind the corner. The movie itself is loving hilarious.

There are so many funny and stupid scenes in Communion.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Phylodox posted:

Some of my earliest memories are of my parents taking me to see loving Poltergeist at a drive-in theatre*. The tree trying to eat the son seriously hosed me up. I remember dubbing it the Daddy Eating Tree, but I don't remember why, since it obviously tries to eat Robbie, not Steven. Maybe I thought the tree was someone's father? Oh, and the scene where the guy claws his own face off just loving ruined me for years.

* 1983 was a goddamned terrifying year for me, I guess.

Poltergeist 2 is even worse, but it's a toss-up between the scene where Robbie's braces attack him (which is a helluva thing to see when you're getting braces yourself) or Craig T. Nelson vomiting up a giant mezcal worm with Reverand Kane's face on it.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Casimir Radon posted:

My mom made me look away during Raiders' face melting scene when I'd watch it

Your mother is smart

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I finally got around to watching The Rundown and there's a scene where The Rock has a kickass fight with Ernie Reyes Jr in the jungle so after the film I googled Reyes to see what else he'd been in recently. Turns out he's been pretty fuckin' sick with liver failure and his family is running a GoFundMe to pay his medical bills.
:smith:

But he's had a bunch of roles recently including a martial arts comedy film called Enter the Fist and the Golden Fleece which has an insane cast including martial arts movie greats Michael Dudikoff (American Ninja), Taimak (The Last Dragon) and Don 'The Dragon' Wilson plus a bizarre mix of other actors including Bill Goldberg, Danny Trejo, Richard Grieco, Sam Jones (Flash Gordon), RVD's daughter Bianca VanDamme and Michael Winslow. It was supposed to be released in 2016 but there isn't even a trailer for it anywhere, it just disappeared.

I'm not expecting this to be a great movie but it should at least be an interesting movie so I'm disappointed it never came out.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Samovar posted:

I remember being allowed to watch Alien when I was about 6.

I thought the Chestburster was cute.

That was Spaceballs. Easy mistake to make.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

jisforjosh posted:

The only horror movie that messed me up as a kid around 9, and I don't know how I came across seeing it, is Event Horizon. It wasn't even the core, it was the overwhelming sense of despair and hopelessness that they're all hosed.

Bringing Out the Dead had some of the same sense but in an alternate reality (from EH) where it's just another day in NYC for a pair of medics.

EH had distance and space and possibly a hell dimension to make their jobs seem so futile.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The scariest non-horror thing I saw as a kid was the funeral scene from Amadeus, it's so goddamn bleak for a kid to imagine being buried in a mass grave.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Eh! Frank posted:

A few years ago, I was wondering if I was just being overly sensitive as a kid, and watched the ending on YouTube. Nope, the transformation + the acid vomit still makes me queasy.

The Fly is an interesting case for me because the depicted events are technically horrifying, but there's so much humour in the film that I never really get the uncomfortable feeling that some other horror films induce. Watching Jeff Goldblum being excited about turning into a fly is just too much fun.

Well Manicured Man posted:

When I got a little older and watched the Indy movies again, I found Temple of Doom to be by far the tamest of the three, so I don't really know what my parents were thinking.

Yeah, in retrospect, it's kind of strange that Temple of Doom was the film which got us the PG-13 rating, when everything in it pales in comparison to the finale of Raiders.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

SciFiDownBeat posted:

There was a horror movie I saw as a kid that messed me up for weeks but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called.

It involved some people getting picked off on a large boat or cruise liner one by one by an unseen monster. And one of the women turns into the monster, at the end of the movie we see her awful CGI form tear a guy in half. And at the beginning of the movie the main guy has an incomprehensible vision about how everyone's going to die?

Might have messed up some details

She Creature maybe?

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!
The Aliens toy line from the early 90's got me into the movies. Convinced my parents to rent Alien when I was 6, and spent the whole thing going "Where's Corp Hicks and Lt Ripley??". Also rented Heavy Metal at that age because I liked the bird thing on the front. Needless to say many friends were invited over for a screening that week.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

The Fly is an interesting case for me because the depicted events are technically horrifying, but there's so much humour in the film that I never really get the uncomfortable feeling that some other horror films induce. Watching Jeff Goldblum being excited about turning into a fly is just too much fun.

Yeah, in retrospect, it's kind of strange that Temple of Doom was the film which got us the PG-13 rating, when everything in it pales in comparison to the finale of Raiders.

The finale of Raiders gave us a man eating a fly and some nazi jerks opening a box and going all house of wax.

Doom gave us a drugged up cult member getting his heart pulled out and then incinerated as he chanted the cult motto.

All the scenes of Indy being forced to drink the blood and lying there until it seemed like his mind had been destroyed and was going to go into the enslavement of children business *shudders*

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Temple of Doom was psychologically terrifying based on the dinner scene alone.

Monkey brains and pregnant snake still haunt my dreams to this day.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

kiimo posted:

Temple of Doom was psychologically terrifying based on the dinner scene alone.

Monkey brains and pregnant snake still haunt my dreams to this day.

For me it was the bug trap.

There's nothing necessarily scary about a heart being ripped out. https://youtu.be/EAIfGYAhwQA

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Nobody has mentioned Return to Oz yet so I will. Good lord is that movie just designed to be psychologically scarring to children from beginning to end.

For some reason, the rhino from James and the Giant Peach got me as well.

Also, embarrassingly enough, Oompa Luumpa's......

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Great Burrito posted:

Also rented Heavy Metal at that age because I liked the bird thing on the front. Needless to say many friends were invited over for a screening that week.

probably the most accurate south park.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

uhhhh....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw6Q8aoBDxY

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

girl: i'm too young to die! i never got to finish war and peace!

robocop: the north wins *rolls out*

Legit great dialogue.

The live action Robocop show was nuts. I would love a current show that embraced dark, quasi-surrealist camp that well. Hell, let's just have another Robocop show that's less Humans and more Black Mirror-meets-Tim & Eric, that'd be the modern equivalent.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Unbelievable

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Fleet Admiral Plasma2 months ago
Looks like something that only hardcore trek fans will enjoy. Can't wait!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Movie 43 got a sequel?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Len posted:

This but unironically

Nephthys posted:

Nobody has mentioned Return to Oz yet so I will. Good lord is that movie just designed to be psychologically scarring to children from beginning to end.

I forgot about that movie, I guess to suppress the trauma

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

feedmyleg posted:

The live action Robocop show was nuts. I would love a current show that embraced dark, quasi-surrealist camp that well. Hell, let's just have another Robocop show that's less Humans and more Black Mirror-meets-Tim & Eric, that'd be the modern equivalent.

Robocop meets Max Headroom for maximum future dystopian satire.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

syscall girl posted:

The finale of Raiders gave us a man eating a fly and some nazi jerks opening a box and going all house of wax.

Doom gave us a drugged up cult member getting his heart pulled out and then incinerated as he chanted the cult motto.

It also had a particularly brutal opening gunfight in the nightclub and an ending where the bad guys got ate by alligators. But all the stuff that kiimo brought up probably pushed it over the edge.

syscall girl posted:

All the scenes of Indy being forced to drink the blood and lying there until it seemed like his mind had been destroyed and was going to go into the enslavement of children business *shudders*

It's seeing your childhood hero turning on you, especially when you're a kid. It's that betrayal of trust.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Child trauma, is it?

Nope no thank you

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Joe Carnahan finished his Uncharted adaptation script.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Child trauma, is it?

Nope no thank you

Oh yeah that scene was freaky as a kid. Another scene that freaked me out was randomly waking up at night and my dad had Exterminator on tv. Two scenes that stood out was him killing some gangsters by having rats eat them to death, and another scene that stood out more of him feeding a mobster to a giant meat grinder.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Child trauma, is it?

Nope no thank you

They cut out the most horrifying part, the close-up on her eyes as they open again as blank, metallic orbs.

Also, Superman III...1983. I'm telling you, that was one hosed up year.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Which Chucky movie had a scene of Chucky as tall as a skyscraper? I remember seeing that on TV as a toddler and have at least a couple seconds of that burned into my mind. I was surprised to discover that the series is about a talking doll, and not a skyscraper sized freaky looking kid. Was that even a Chucky movie?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thank god ill soon be able to watch new indiana jones sans harrison ford.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Barudak posted:

Thank god ill soon be able to watch new indiana jones sans harrison ford.

Boy have I got news for you!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I had nightmares about a black goo in a lake trying to eat me as a very young child and a few years ago I found out that The Raft segment from Creepshow 2 matched those dreams almost exactly.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Phylodox posted:

They cut out the most horrifying part, the close-up on her eyes as they open again as blank, metallic orbs.

Also, Superman III...1983. I'm telling you, that was one hosed up year.

Oops

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Detective No. 27 posted:

Was that even a Chucky movie?

I've seen the first three, and I definitely don't remember anything like that from any of them barring a dream sequence or your young mind recontextualizing a particular shot somehow.

1983 was like one long nightmare. I'm beginning to think a lot of trust issues must have sprung from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Which Chucky movie had a scene of Chucky as tall as a skyscraper? I remember seeing that on TV as a toddler and have at least a couple seconds of that burned into my mind. I was surprised to discover that the series is about a talking doll, and not a skyscraper sized freaky looking kid. Was that even a Chucky movie?

Are you sure that wasn't Honey, I Blew Up The Kid (1992, d.p. John Hora)?

• Locked thread