Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Judging races by distances between cars is horseshit, chapter XVIII

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Formula E, the most entertaining car racing series, has cars so close they're running into each other all the time (also because the drivers suck). Point disproven.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Formula Pee.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

Formula Pee.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

I love you Nando but you are very very wrong on this one.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Motorsport.com has purchased a stake in Formula E, and McLaren will supply batteries for the series next season. So Zak Brown is basically running the show by himself.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
In related news: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793634&pagenumber=2#post468076613

Alain Post posted:

Formula Pee.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

I love you Nando but you are very very wrong on this one.

You watch your dirty whore mouth when you talk about Are Nando

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Are Nando may be good and cool but it's important to remember that he is prepared to endorse literally anything for money: See; Baku and the 2017 McLaren car.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

learnincurve posted:

Are Nando may be good and cool but it's important to remember that he is prepared to endorse literally anything for money: See; Baku and the 2017 McLaren car.

We're all kidding ourselves if we wouldn't do the same thing given the opportunities.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Umm 80s Era races have been loving good. I've watched almost all of them now.

This is one time I'm not go to agree with nado.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

GramCracker posted:

We're all kidding ourselves if we wouldn't do the same thing given the opportunities.

Of course, those yachts and 22 year old page three models are not going to buy themselves.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Khablam posted:

I mean, every driver thinks he started out in the best era, but he's not particularly wrong.

He is.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The greatest era was 1934 when the greatest leader of the greatest country began backing the greatest car companies to race the greatest cars. Sadly international politics interrupted it 5 years later.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
WW2 was just a setup to stop the impending domination of motor sports by Mercedes. 80 years later, it was all for naught.

dandaman
Dec 30, 2005

I can't argue too much with this list...
http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/news/a28898/f1-greatest-driver-of-all-time/

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Swap Piquet and Aryton and knock Vettel off and I really can't argue with that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i actually don't really like the 1950s era where everything was hosed up because of the end of the war and all the drivers were 45 years old, and for several years were driving Formula Two cars instead because the F1 regs were too expensive

Clark is a far better pick imo

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

i actually don't really like the 1950s era where everything was hosed up because of the end of the war and all the drivers were 45 years old, and for several years were driving Formula Two cars instead because the F1 regs were too expensive

Clark is a far better pick imo

If we had a time machine that could put every driver in their prime into the same car, those 50s drivers would get absolutely pissed on. Haryanto is more talented than those dudes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think the pre-war era probably kills them too, like, just thinking about the strengths of their relative eras I'd have to think that Caracciola and Nuvolari are more impressive champs than old-rear end Ascari or Fangio. The 1950s were a strange time.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Watching Canada '99, christ Irvine is just driving the wheels off that Ferrari.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

wicka posted:

If we had a time machine that could put every driver in their prime into the same car, those 50s drivers would get absolutely pissed on. Haryanto is more talented than those dudes.

What makes you say that, other than the mistaken general perception that people have that the stars who were around when they first watched a particular sport were the first ones ever to be any good? I imagine you're going to say something about professionalism and the age at which kids start today. A lot of drivers were half-assed amateurs back then, true. But there were always drivers around who were fully professional and who had been into dirt track racing, midgets or karts or some poo poo since age 8 - and they couldn't (and can't) necessarily beat talented '"'"gentleman"''"' racers, even if they started at age 20. Whatever that dipshit Malcolm Gladwell says, some tiny number of people are naturals, and they have always existed and still do. Sebastien Loeb didn't start racing cars until his early twenties, for instance.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
No he's right, the 50s dudes were basically Giovanni Lavaggi.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the 50s were 45 year old drivers racing cars that were like more than a decade old.

I mean, full credit to them but imo I don't put much stock into the drivers then until Jack Brabham and Cooper show up

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Although I will throw down on any of the seasons from 80-91 being better than the 00s.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

the 50s were 45 year old drivers racing cars that were like more than a decade old.

I mean, full credit to them but imo I don't put much stock into the drivers then until Jack Brabham and Cooper show up

It's true. A lot of the grids were rich aristocrat pay drivers, or like broke Englishmen.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Human Grand Prix posted:

Although I will throw down on any of the seasons from 80-91 being better than the 00s.

Even the fairy tale 09 year?

Or even 08 for that matter, often referred to as the most exciting in history? (Though I admit I haven't seen it myself and am not a Hamilton fan).

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I'm Crap posted:

Whatever that dipshit Malcolm Gladwell says, some tiny number of people are naturals, and they have always existed and still do. Sebastien Loeb didn't start racing cars until his early twenties, for instance.

Compared to his peers though, Sebastien Loeb wasn't a particularly good driver. His real ability is that he can mentally 'select' how aggressive he wants to drive at any given time, and stick with that without becoming tired, or distracted, or influenced by external pressure. This is a tremendous talent, but it could have been applied to any number of competitive activities with equal result.

It also made for incredibly boring races to watch, because he never did anything interesting. And he never pushed the car hard mechanically, so failures were mostly the result of engineering issues, not race stresses.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Carth Dookie posted:

Even the fairy tale 09 year?

Or even 08 for that matter, often referred to as the most exciting in history? (Though I admit I haven't seen it myself and am not a Hamilton fan).

Yes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
2006 and 2008 are all-timers imo. 2003 to some extent as well.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

EoRaptor posted:

Compared to his peers though, Sebastien Loeb wasn't a particularly good driver. His real ability is that he can mentally 'select' how aggressive he wants to drive at any given time, and stick with that without becoming tired, or distracted, or influenced by external pressure. This is a tremendous talent, but it could have been applied to any number of competitive activities with equal result.

It also made for incredibly boring races to watch, because he never did anything interesting. And he never pushed the car hard mechanically, so failures were mostly the result of engineering issues, not race stresses.

I've read this a couple of times and still don't get it.

The guy isn't faster than many of his contemporaries, but beats them to 9 world titles, more than twice as many as the next most successful WRC champion while nursing the car to prevent mechanical failure and this is somehow boring and makes him a mediocre driver compared to his peers.

What

I mean is this a Ferrari in early 00's thing where the car is so good anybody could have done it? Is that what you're saying.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Rally sucks rear end.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Alain Post posted:

Rally sucks rear end.

Group B and early rally where you couldn't even see the track for all the idiots standing on it with cameras was good, but yeah modern rally is pretty boring to watch.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm not going to be dumb enough to denigrate Loeb as a driver but I do think a lot of his success (and Ogier's after) was due to a general collapse in the competition level of the sport at a high level. Rally just loving died.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Ok that might be an explanation.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The most obvious beneficiary of the competition drying up ever has always been Sebastien Bourdais, though. I actually like the guy but I don't know anyone who really takes his Champ Car titles seriously.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

All Sebs are frauds.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

The most obvious beneficiary of the competition drying up ever has always been Sebastien Bourdais, though. I actually like the guy but I don't know anyone who really takes his Champ Car titles seriously.

I would agree. I've always wondered how Bourdais would do against late 90s-Early 00s CART.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I would kill for '07, '08, or '09 F1 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Let's throw '12 in there as well.

• Locked thread