Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Dark Fina wasn't much of an issue for CoD/Agrias/Santa Roselia/Cecil/Exdeath and a buddy Noctis. They also shut down all the other bosses, especially the worm since that thing can be paralyzed and Exdeath's LB was easily ready for each boss. :science:

Shame that I mistook how much damage I'd do in the 3rd round and fired off Ifrit with the boss surviving at about 15% hp. I'll probably run it again later because 10 lapis sure why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Pokemaster #421 posted:

Haha even the people who update the wiki agree. They just put "Hugs a chocobo when you win and melts your heart" under Refias unit description on the rankings page. Made me chuckle. I'm always a fan when people add dumb little things like that

My favorite is still Shadow:

*Can easily escape battle
*Which allows you to summon better units

There also used to be a bit on Tellah's page about how casting Meteor won't kill him in this game.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Leo's page has this tidbit at the bottom:

quote:

Don't let him die in this game.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Rigel posted:

I finally broke down and set up a TM macro and now my computer is happily grinding away faster than I ever could have done.

Its a stupid design flaw, if they intended these rewards to be extremely rare and only for the dedicated, then they needed to crack down hard on macros but they didn't, and now its too late, they have to let us TM macro or its not fair for newer players. At this point if they wanted to discourage macros they need to revamp the TM system such that someone who plays normally can expect to get one from each unit of the party every 2-3 weeks or so.

It is not a design flaw. It was never meant to be grinded or macro'd at all. It was setup for a whale reward system and nothing else. Later they added the additional way of trust moogles to events. I'm sure they would remove the ability to farm it or macro TMs if they could so without the community revolting, but that is impossible at this point. They are not going to make it fair for any reason, because the point of it is to be unfair. It is supposed to reward people doing $500-1000usd each and every banner. That's it. All these ideas about all NRG rewarding the equivalent of ES farm in TM xp are delusional because they are based on the false premise that that system was designed to reward you for playing. It isn't. It is designed to reward you for paying, a lot.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Mugaaz posted:

It is not a design flaw. It was never meant to be grinded or macro'd at all. It was setup for a whale reward system and nothing else. Later they added the additional way of trust moogles to events. I'm sure they would remove the ability to farm it or macro TMs if they could so without the community revolting, but that is impossible at this point. They are not going to make it fair for any reason, because the point of it is to be unfair. It is supposed to reward people doing $500-1000usd each and every banner. That's it. All these ideas about all NRG rewarding the equivalent of ES farm in TM xp are delusional because they are based on the false premise that that system was designed to reward you for playing. It isn't. It is designed to reward you for paying, a lot.

Isn't there some talk about the TM increase chance per battle being necessary for legal reasons in Japan, to avoid violating their gambling laws?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

MrLonghair posted:

Cutest victory animations: Refia hugging the chocobo, Lid and Black Cat Lid bathing in whatever, what else is there?

It's money. She loves money. She talks about it a lot.

:)

Cartoon Man posted:

Isn't there some Dwarven looking dude who chugs a barrel of mead?

Ollie. I know from smooshing him together to get his -killer materia.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Benthalus posted:

Isn't there some talk about the TM increase chance per battle being necessary for legal reasons in Japan, to avoid violating their gambling laws?

Even if there was, it wouldn't matter for us unless the US (or another large global market) enacted a similar law out of nowhere. At this point we're all assuming Gumi will eventually port the crystal rarity change, but there's really no guarantee they'll even do that. Given that they nerfed/fixed doublehand and we have a nerfed Noctis, there's precedent for splitting the code base, and I honestly don't think they'll even port that change over unless the whales start drying up. The game's been in the top grossing charts this whole time, so it doesn't look like that's going to happen any time soon

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

even netmarble who are heralded as being pretty good change stuff for global, theres basically nothing forcing gumi to do anything in global just because theyre doing it in japan.

Mrit SA
Nov 11, 2016

by Lowtax
Well, they did fix certain units being more rare/common. All things are possible.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
I'm surprised they didn't say a word about it. I think it was an overwhelmingly positive reception right? Lord knows I never would have gotten Zidane otherwise.

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016
So, wait. I'm sorry. But I guess since this is my first game that has microtransactions, I'm a bit behind the curve on this.

There are, like, thousands of people who spend huge money to get TMs, a mechanic that isn't even necessary to beat the base game? When do you even use it/need it for anything beyond showing other people you sunk hundreds of hours/dollars into a game? It's already been stated that it isn't needed at all to beat the game... are they at least important to gain an upper hand in Arena? I'm flabbergasted here. I think I would at least understand it if it was needed to beat the games challenges, but it's been stated that they are not needed.

I guess this is "whale culture"? And why this is kept so "hush-hush" because 99% of humanity would probably verbally scorn if not physically attack you for spending this kind of money so frivolously while they grind for meager paychecks? Are we at this point supposed to be like, welp, yeah, some people blow all their money on slot machines and betting on sports and other stupid poo poo to justify this? Even though like most of humanity would be like holy poo poo gently caress that? I guess my mind is just being hosed by this. All the more because I apparently pulled some unit that a dude wasn't able to get with 1500 dollars. Wow.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Having TMs provides a great boost to your units. You can easily plow through events with them and your friends can use the unit as well. If I hadn't poured all of my Xmas bundle lapis into TMRs, my Chizuru wouldn't be this beefy:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

cosmicprank posted:

So, wait. I'm sorry. But I guess since this is my first game that has microtransactions, I'm a bit behind the curve on this.

There are, like, thousands of people who spend huge money to get TMs, a mechanic that isn't even necessary to beat the base game? When do you even use it/need it for anything beyond showing other people you sunk hundreds of hours/dollars into a game? It's already been stated that it isn't needed at all to beat the game... are they at least important to gain an upper hand in Arena? I'm flabbergasted here. I think I would at least understand it if it was needed to beat the games challenges, but it's been stated that they are not needed.

I guess this is "whale culture"? And why this is kept so "hush-hush" because 99% of humanity would probably verbally scorn if not physically attack you for spending this kind of money so frivolously while they grind for meager paychecks? Are we at this point supposed to be like, welp, yeah, some people blow all their money on slot machines and betting on sports and other stupid poo poo to justify this? Even though like most of humanity would be like holy poo poo gently caress that? I guess my mind is just being hosed by this. All the more because I apparently pulled some unit that a dude wasn't able to get with 1500 dollars. Wow.

TMs make the events easier. Here's the thing, the story mode isn't the focus of these games, you're either trying to beat the newest event on the hardest mode or trying to do PvP bullshit. That's where the true difficulty lies, and getting a good TMR can make your team go from "struggling to defeat X boss" to "braindead run". Even then, you don't need to dump money to get enough TMRs to make your life easier if you have the mechanical knowledge and patience - however, that's the catch with these games, you gotta have that patience.

"Whales" are basically big money gamblers, people that NEED to have all the strongest units and equipment. It's literally the same as gambling, you just keep rolling because "I can feel it coming, it's the next one, man". There's been plenty of gacha regulations in Japan and China because of that, since these games are basically paid for by those people and it's very easy to keep pulling the carrot away from them. It's also hard to tell when someone DOES have the cash to throw around like that or when they're just loving themselves over because of an addiction (it's one thing when a businessman goes to Vegas and throws away 15k on blackjack, and another when a 40k a year worker does the same thing).

edit: there's also another insidious aspect that doesn't exist in regular gambling, the fact that other people can show you their new shiny toy. It's like rolling on a slot for this pretty golden necklace, and seeing other people with it makes you REALLY wanna have it even if you have a couple of similar ones sitting on your drawer.

Dias fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jan 8, 2017

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled

cosmicprank posted:

I don't think its kept "hush-hush" but some people keep rolling because of wanting the characters that are their favorites or to "catch them all". People spend money on what they want. If you want 1500 dollars worth of cocaine, they'll get it. If its gambling it away or spending it all on a hundreds of lotto tickets for a jackpot you may never see, etc. Out of the billions of people in the world there will be those thousands (that play this game, or applies to other things) that can afford that habit or purchases, and those that can't who still will purchase. [All whaling for their own reasons or addiction making them happy(or not).]

To put it this way, when I was in the military a long time ago there were gambling machines in the enlisted club at our base overseas. Lots of the military dependents and even the military members themselves played these machines and some got addicted to it. Spending entire monthly paychecks and not paying bills putting all their money sometimes into these slot machines. I remember clearly when one of the wives won a $15,000 jackpot and then proceeded to PUT IT ALL BACK INTO THE SAME SLOT MACHINE. She would lick her thumb, swipe it across the glass where the symbols would roll by, pull the lever and then make a noise in the back of her throat every time she pulled the lever. Until the last dollar was gone. Most people went there to drink and played for entertainment, but some it even went beyond addiction and enjoyment like some kind of compulsion or ritual. Not stopping until its all the money was gone.

Not trying to justify it but honestly people will do what makes them happy or think that will make them happy. I guess what I'm saying is we all can gaze at someone's "waste of funds", ultimate beanie-baby collector mentality, or fetish the same way. Too much of anything etc. Youtube has videos of extreme hoarding, extreme cheapskates, and My Strange Addiction shows that will make whaling for a toilet game look tame by comparison.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

cosmicprank posted:

There are, like, thousands of people who spend huge money to get TMs, a mechanic that isn't even necessary to beat the base game?

Yeah you can beat the game with a decent group and basically a beefy goon friend unit on your own easily. TMs really are a luxury but one that is easily attainable over time with a Windows Android Emulator running macro scripts. You can buy the time to make the farming faster by investing Lapis into it. That's all there is to it really.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
It's kind of messed up if you let yourself get dragged into it. As long as you're having fun and the little voice that wants to make the numbers go bigger isn't controlling you, you should be fine.

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016
I still find it weird they'd add a thing that you don't need to really win. Seems like most of the game you just overkill if you have a good goon friend and not terrible units?

PDQ Law
Aug 4, 2011

cosmicprank posted:

I think your confusion here is that you are equating "the base game", which is "story content" via the World button, with "the game", which is "story content" (World button) + "event content" (Vortex button)?
The "story content" or "base game" is beatable using only average units with no TMs.
To fully beat the "event content" you need either assistance from a friend unit with overpowered TMs and some luck, or you need your own units with overpowered TMs.

In summary, you can beat the "story content" without TMs. To fully beat the "event content" you pretty much need your own units with TMs or access to others'. In other words, you can beat the "base game" without TMs, but to beat the "full game" you need TMs.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

cosmicprank posted:

I still find it weird they'd add a thing that you don't need to really win. Seems like most of the game you just overkill if you have a good goon friend and not terrible units?

Kinda, the hardest event content is a lot easier if you have TMs or top-tier units. I'm full F2P and can't see myself spending money on this game, and I've beaten all content so far with the current team: Luneth/Refia/CoD/Cecil/Vaan or WoL. That's two base 3*, two base 4* (rare, but not THAT rare) and a base 5* unit. The only TM I got unlocked is Dualcast (didn't grind a LOT for it, most of it was covered by free event moogles), but it already made quite a difference with Refia in this current event. Luneth is a real good pick, and if I hadn't gotten him, I'd probably need Dual Wield (Zidane's TMR) on a decent 6*-able unit (in my case, probably CoD, maybe Chizuru).

You don't really NEED it if you get lucky with pulls, but a couple of them make a huge difference for your team (again, Dual Wield and Dualcast mainly). Again, the story is a breeze with mediocre units, but event content needs an actual solid team. Global makes it so that you can grind those TMRs with macros, so it's the whole patience thing again.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i just joined the Zidane club with my daily pull :woop: get out of here ludmille dualcast number two can loving wait :getin:

also when did the daily laps turn from 50 to 100 for finishing quests. i just noticed today

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

rabidsquid posted:

i just joined the Zidane club with my daily pull :woop: get out of here ludmille dualcast number two can loving wait :getin:

also when did the daily laps turn from 50 to 100 for finishing quests. i just noticed today

:hf:
I decided to do a daily just for the hell of it, blue turned into gold turned into Luka. Now to sit and accumulate until Orlandude.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Evil Fluffy posted:

They added the growing rate up system in Brave Frontier (eventually) and even have had "pull X times and get a bonus unit from this pool" at times but I'm not expecting to see either show up in this game any time soon, if ever.

Wasn't the growing rate ups actually a way to remove early lucky draws from the equation? Like, I remember numbers that suggested a 10x rate up under the new system was equal or less than the unmarked "rate ups" before that system was implemented, meaning you effectively got nine rolls at nerfed rates compared to before.

And that's not even getting into the mess that was the Frosty Gate...

For those of you who never played BF, imagine if Orlandu's banner came out... but in order to pull on it once, you had to do 10 pulls on the unmodified rare summon banner. Each time you wanted to pull on it. That was the Frosty Gate.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

lol seriously we should all stop playing gacha games because lets be honest they are probably financing the yakuza or something

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

lol seriously we should all stop playing gacha games because lets be honest they are probably financing the yakuza or something

Nah, that's pachi-slot.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

cosmicprank posted:

It was mentioned previously, but the jealously of seeing other players on your friend list with maxed out stats plays heavily into having TM's included in the game. Take a look at the best whale we have on our forums (I think):

I look at that poo poo and get extremely envious of the gear he has. I used to just be a manual player, but now I'm macroing my way into the big leagues too. If I don't spend any Lapis on refreshes, it will take me 3 months of almost constant macroing to take a team of 5 from zero to 100%. If I spend Lapis occasionally, I can cut that time to 1 month. If I spend almost 10,000 Lapis constantly, 3 days.

Is this a bad thing? gently caress if I know. I've bought Lapis from the store and probably will again. Maybe I'm on a slippery slope. But my wife has to ok any purchase I make, so I have her to keep me in check. Will that be enough? I hope so...

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Just cleared out some friend slots, about 5 left if some newbies don't have me yet.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Finished rush grinding my Sakurafubuki and blade mastery, just two bracers and a black cowl to go. Just opened up 10 spots on my friends list if anyone here isn't on it already

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
Yep.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Hey, I fought that guy too! He's rank 29,which amuses me, but one of the Finas and that Noctis aren't 6* awakened, so it was some nice free points.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

AegisP posted:

Hey, I fought that guy too! He's rank 29,which amuses me, but one of the Finas and that Noctis aren't 6* awakened, so it was some nice free points.

Yeah he went first and I was like OMGWTFBBQ but then he just chipped one of my Edgars for like 10HP and I was like lulzkkthxbye

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Even the Cecil is 5*, so he's not even that tanky.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
What good does chainsaw meta do you in arena? It's not aoe is it?

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Chainsaw hits all enemies, yes.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

McSpankWich posted:

What good does chainsaw meta do you in arena? It's not aoe is it?

Yeah it's AoE. I just chain it with DC Thundaga or Meteor (count to 5 before casting Chainsaws) if I suspect them being resistant or if they cast buffs.

The simple answer tho is: Quick games, you either lose by turn 2 or win by turn 2. I would say I lose about 5% of games realistically. Never picking strong leaders.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

cosmicprank posted:

I think you are focused on the story, and wondering why people would want to supercharge their units to beat the story when its not necessary at all. Thats not really the game. No one cares about the story. (well thats an exaggeration, its cool and all, but you know what I mean).

The real game are the events on the highest difficulty, and pvp. If you don't have at least some decent units and TM's, then that part of the game can be a real nightmare.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Like, the most fun I've had in this game so far have been Maxwell's Trial and Tower of Babel. I had no 5* bases at the time for Maxwell, but enough healing (*cough* Refia *cough*) to recover from her damage output or raise enough people to resume beating her down. So it was at the perfect level of difficulty for me. Same deal with Tower of Babel, except not even having Refia, as the boss rush format at the end was a cool "Are they really going to make me fight all of these bosses back to back to back?" until Golbez death'd 5 members of my party during the first two attempts.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Rigel posted:

Thats not really the game. No one cares about the story. (well thats an exaggeration, its cool and all, but you know what I mean).

I've skipped 9/10 of the story scenes. Once in a while I watch one just to check if it's still dumb and I don't care about it, and yep.

It also bugs the poo poo out of me that I can't skip the scenes in the event dungeon, especially since I have to run one every day for the quest

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Plus, besides being more challenging, the events are (usually) where you get to do the FF crossover stuff like fighting Golbez and the four fiends. That poo poo is about a million times more interesting to me than whatever boring garbage Rain and Laswell are going on about in the dialog I can't skip

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Dial-a-Dog posted:

Even if there was, it wouldn't matter for us unless the US (or another large global market) enacted a similar law out of nowhere. At this point we're all assuming Gumi will eventually port the crystal rarity change, but there's really no guarantee they'll even do that. Given that they nerfed/fixed doublehand and we have a nerfed Noctis, there's precedent for splitting the code base, and I honestly don't think they'll even port that change over unless the whales start drying up. The game's been in the top grossing charts this whole time, so it doesn't look like that's going to happen any time soon

Sorry, I think my post was vague. I mean that the current game mechanic, where a unit has a 10% chance per battle to raise their TM rating by 0.1%, is a way for the company to avoid violating Japanese gatcha gambling laws and has been present since the game launched. It allows the full potential of the unit to be attained by anyone playing the game, but encourages whales to spend money to obtain multiple copies of the unit and therefore attain that full potential sooner. Anyhow, that's the theory people have mentioned for the TM systems configuration.

There were phone gatcha games in Japan where you had to get multiple parts from the same banner to fully assemble the featured unit, including the ultra-rare part. If you didn't get all the parts, you didn't get the unit. Imagine needing to get Dark Fina, AND multiple Luka, AND multiple Elle in order to actually use Dark Fina. Those mechanics were outlawed, along with other insidious methods that gaming companies devised to part the addicted whales from their money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complete_gacha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

AegisP posted:

Like, the most fun I've had in this game so far have been Maxwell's Trial and Tower of Babel. I had no 5* bases at the time for Maxwell, but enough healing (*cough* Refia *cough*) to recover from her damage output or raise enough people to resume beating her down. So it was at the perfect level of difficulty for me. Same deal with Tower of Babel, except not even having Refia, as the boss rush format at the end was a cool "Are they really going to make me fight all of these bosses back to back to back?" until Golbez death'd 5 members of my party during the first two attempts.

This. It was challenging and felt like actualy gameplay trying over and over again tweaking your party, researching the goonchives and trying again. I'm glad I didn't pull a Lightning for it to be to easy (no I'm not). Anyway, I'm kinda worried the future events will all be cake due to the powercreep. I'm honestly for more challenging events were wit, strategy and party composition is king and not just throw 6x 5* base units at the boss and be done with it.

• Locked thread