Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Carth Dookie posted:

I've read this a couple of times and still don't get it.

The guy isn't faster than many of his contemporaries, but beats them to 9 world titles, more than twice as many as the next most successful WRC champion while nursing the car to prevent mechanical failure and this is somehow boring and makes him a mediocre driver compared to his peers.

What

I mean is this a Ferrari in early 00's thing where the car is so good anybody could have done it? Is that what you're saying.

No, I'm saying a huge chunk of his wins are from his competitors crashing out or suffering mechanical failures. Loeb simply never broke under pressure and this drove a bunch of his competitors to push themselves much harder than necessary, ending in driver mistakes or broken cars. He is certainly a good driver, but Latvala and Ogier were clearly better when they turned up, and if Gronholm hadn't been having issues with his teams and then phoning it in, he probably would have done much better.

Now, Citroen did outspend other manufacturers by quite a bit, so the cars Loeb had were good and reliable performers. I personally don't think this had too much influence in any given race vs the money Citroen was spending compared to the other teams. Over the season though, it paid off by maximizing race finishes, which is what matters for the WDC.

Alain Post posted:

I'm not going to be dumb enough to denigrate Loeb as a driver but I do think a lot of his success (and Ogier's after) was due to a general collapse in the competition level of the sport at a high level. Rally just loving died.

Yeah, Citroen was spending 50 million+ a year vs Fords 10 million and Subaru's 5-7 million. Every time the WRC signed up a new manufacturer, they'd turn up for a year, look at the actual costs vs what the WRC had told them, and drop out again (rip Suzuki). The car Citroen got for the money was certainly good, but not 5 times better than other cars. The results Citroen got were though, and that made the investment worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I would still says for the quality of the field and racing the 80s was the best.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Loeb is a loving beast. Just look at how competitive he is in everything beyond rallying.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

I'm Crap posted:

What makes you say that, other than the mistaken general perception that people have that the stars who were around when they first watched a particular sport were the first ones ever to be any good? I imagine you're going to say something about professionalism and the age at which kids start today. A lot of drivers were half-assed amateurs back then, true. But there were always drivers around who were fully professional and who had been into dirt track racing, midgets or karts or some poo poo since age 8 - and they couldn't (and can't) necessarily beat talented '"'"gentleman"''"' racers, even if they started at age 20. Whatever that dipshit Malcolm Gladwell says, some tiny number of people are naturals, and they have always existed and still do. Sebastien Loeb didn't start racing cars until his early twenties, for instance.

I like to think of it like Usain Bolt going back to the 50's for the 100m sprint where the world record was like a 10.2. Don't think he would have all that much trouble. Hell the 200m record was a 20.6. A time he could beat at age 15. The money, training, science and professionalism that goes into all sports now is way more advanced then what it was back in the day. I see the old grand prix drivers as half daredevil half sportsman. A poo poo load of bravery and a good amount of talent, but not compared to todays stars.

Although speaking of talent I do feel that F1 does have a huge problem with the grid being half full of guys that arent there purely, or even primarily, on talent alone. Even the sons of former racers is a big problem if you ask me. Bossberg, Magnussen, Palmer, Sainz, Verstappen - it begs the question of whether racing (or any sporting) talent is genetic in some way, or did these guys make it too the top because they came from privileged backgrounds and had famous last names. It may be a bit of both, but either way it isnt a good look for F1.

Of the 24 drivers this year 5 are the sons of racing drivers and 4 are there entirely from sponsor money! (Erricson, Guiterrez, Haryanto, and Nazr)

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

I'm Crap posted:

What makes you say that, other than the mistaken general perception that people have that the stars who were around when they first watched a particular sport were the first ones ever to be any good? I imagine you're going to say something about professionalism and the age at which kids start today. A lot of drivers were half-assed amateurs back then, true. But there were always drivers around who were fully professional and who had been into dirt track racing, midgets or karts or some poo poo since age 8 - and they couldn't (and can't) necessarily beat talented '"'"gentleman"''"' racers, even if they started at age 20. Whatever that dipshit Malcolm Gladwell says, some tiny number of people are naturals, and they have always existed and still do. Sebastien Loeb didn't start racing cars until his early twenties, for instance.

What a fabulous username/post combo

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Drivers in the 50s had just lived through a world war, which does tend to mess with the funding and driver demographic.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hot take: all F1 seasons are bad :colbert:

Except for the ones that gave out points for the Indy 500

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Hi, i havent kept up with F1 since Rossberg retired, has anything happened since then or has it been nothing but rumors?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Basticle posted:

Hi, i havent kept up with F1 since Rossberg retired, has anything happened since then or has it been nothing but rumors?

Manor is all but dead (administration).

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Basticle posted:

You didn't miss anything. A Brazilian cheated all the time, two Germans cheated all the time. Another Hill and another Rossberg came along. Both frauds.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I've been watching a bunch of Group B stuff lately. Why can't any series be as good and cool as Group B was.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

AgentJotun posted:

Although speaking of talent I do feel that F1 does have a huge problem with the grid being half full of guys that arent there purely, or even primarily, on talent alone. Even the sons of former racers is a big problem if you ask me. Bossberg, Magnussen, Palmer, Sainz, Verstappen - it begs the question of whether racing (or any sporting) talent is genetic in some way, or did these guys make it too the top because they came from privileged backgrounds and had famous last names. It may be a bit of both, but either way it isnt a good look for F1.

Of the 24 drivers this year 5 are the sons of racing drivers and 4 are there entirely from sponsor money! (Erricson, Guiterrez, Haryanto, and Nazr)

The family thing is new but it makes a certain amount of sense since you have a guy that has a lot of cash, free time now that his career is over, he's now got a kid and knows what the kid has to do to get into the sport. Allen Berg will just force his kid to go out on a friday with three seperate stopwatches and a clipboard and continuously write down sector times, no other parent has that the time or energy to just loving sit around collecting data like that for their kid racing at a club level.

There's always been a fairly large portion of the grid there because they have sponsors writing cheques. Decesaris by any rational measure should've had no future in any form of racing after '85 but he got another 9 years out of the sport because of Marlboro money.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

AgentJotun posted:

I like to think of it like Usain Bolt going back to the 50's for the 100m sprint where the world record was like a 10.2. Don't think he would have all that much trouble. Hell the 200m record was a 20.6. A time he could beat at age 15. The money, training, science and professionalism that goes into all sports now is way more advanced then what it was back in the day. I see the old grand prix drivers as half daredevil half sportsman. A poo poo load of bravery and a good amount of talent, but not compared to todays stars.

The effect of today's sports psychology/nutrition/fitness aspect alone would see 50s drivers getting completely crushed by their modern equivalents.

1500quidporsche posted:

The family thing is new but it makes a certain amount of sense since you have a guy that has a lot of cash, free time now that his career is over, he's now got a kid and knows what the kid has to do to get into the sport.
That and the kid likely has an interest in what their daddy does for a living from an early age, is used to being around cars and the paddock environment, has the connections already in place, etc.

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 8, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
F1 is remarkably light on pay drivers right now. Go back to 2006 and look how poo poo the grid was. I know we don't like Red Bull but if there had been any better drivers in their program then there is no way Max and Carlos would have seats. I'm not that sure Jos even has the influence and sponsorship in his pocket to get max in a F1 seat without him being on a program anyway.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Wirth1000 posted:

Loeb is a loving beast. Just look at how competitive he is in everything beyond rallying.

So, only good when he can outspend and outluck everyone else?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

learnincurve posted:

F1 is remarkably light on pay drivers right now. Go back to 2006 and look how poo poo the grid was. I know we don't like Red Bull but if there had been any better drivers in their program then there is no way Max and Carlos would have seats. I'm not that sure Jos even has the influence and sponsorship in his pocket to get max in a F1 seat without him being on a program anyway.

If the grid stays as is, really the only "paydriver" in the remotely traditional sense next year is Marcus Ericsson.

minstrels
Nov 15, 2009
I got Damon Hill's autobiography for Christmas, about 2/3 through it and I'm absolutely loving it.

Would definitely recommend it.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

minstrels posted:

I got Damon Hill's autobiography for Christmas, about 2/3 through it and I'm absolutely loving it.

details! I've been looking for something new to read recently

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Dudley posted:

If the grid stays as is, really the only "paydriver" in the remotely traditional sense next year is Marcus Ericsson.

Also the understandably forgettable Palmer.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

minstrels posted:

Cheers, have read extracts, but gonna dive into this, finally finished Webbers, also good and sheds light on the RBR team at the time, obviously biased but to be fair Webber always was straight up

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Triple A posted:

So, only good when he can outspend and outluck everyone else?

Outluck? That part really isn't in his control so that bit of criticism makes no sense.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
WTCC blows

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

There's always been a fairly large portion of the grid there because they have sponsors writing cheques. Decesaris by any rational measure should've had no future in any form of racing after '85 but he got another 9 years out of the sport because of Marlboro money.

I strongly disagree.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

djssniper posted:

Cheers, have read extracts, but gonna dive into this, finally finished Webbers, also good and sheds light on the RBR team at the time, obviously biased but to be fair Webber always was straight up

Just started reading the Webber book myself.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

minstrels posted:

I got Damon Hill's autobiography for Christmas,
What does he say about Bernie?

Norns posted:

Just started reading the Webber book myself.
Cause I've read Prof. Sid's book and Niki's book and they both say Bernie is just the best guy.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Wirth1000 posted:

Outluck? That part really isn't in his control so that bit of criticism makes no sense.

Every bit of talent he has is overshadowed by his amazing and consistent luck.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
you don't luck into nine titles in a row, any advantage in reliability is probably because he's good at managing the car, and because Citroen spent millions more than their competitors.

Keep in mind that he finished first in a team of him, Carlos Sainz and Colin McRae (both admittedly past their prime, but still a hell of an accomplishment).

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Cause I've read Prof. Sid's book and Niki's book and they both say Bernie is just the best guy.

I honestly believe Bernie is a benevolent dictator. His dumbass suggestions to tweak the sport are probably less 'serious suggestions' and more of a satire on how the teams, for all their bluster, can't organise a piss up in a brewery when decision making is up to them.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Triple A posted:

Every bit of talent he has is overshadowed by his amazing and consistent luck.

A famous Gary Player quote comes to mind...

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

learnincurve posted:

Also the understandably forgettable Palmer.

I don't think I can count anyone in a manufacturer team as a pay driver.

Plus he won GP2. That's night and day compared to the likes of Mazzacane, Belmondo, Langes, Lavaggi snr.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh ho. Palmer was signed originally by Lotus for Lots of Money. Only reason he's still in Renault/F1 is because his daddy has the only bid in for Silverstone, and already owns a lot of other tracks including brands hatch.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Palmer isn't exceptionally good, yes, but many drivers now have to bring funding with them. Technically Sergio Perez is also a "pay driver".

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Who gave Claudio Langes a super licence? A mystery for our times.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The only reason Palmer is still at Renault is because they wanted to keep one of their two drivers so they'd have a basis on which to measure the progress of their 2017 car. Magnussen chose to leave and that made the decision for them.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
In defence of Palmer he did look better than Kmag in the back half of the season.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Palmer showed more progress over one season in F1 than Magnussen has in two. He's going to be totally outclassed by Grosjean.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I still don't fully understand why Haas took in Kmag when they probably could've gambled on Nsar.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Man I didn't realise Mika was such a jokester: http://www.grandprixtimes.com/news/id/13517

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

I still don't fully understand why Haas took in Kmag when they probably could've gambled on Nsar.

I'm kind of amazing that Merc isn't taking Perez, or at least giving him a hint of recognition. Then again, Bottas will just sit there quietly as a No.2 driver and collect the odd win and 2nd place, where Perez would probably want to go for that title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Most important realization from that study: "So how much does the driver actually contribute to a Formula 1 team's success? A mere 15 percent".

Roller Coast Guard posted:

The effect of today's sports psychology/nutrition/fitness aspect alone would see 50s drivers getting completely crushed by their modern equivalents.

This would make a huge competitive difference. Even naturally talented guys at their peak in the 50's wouldn't be able to compete with the top drivers from today. Without looking at stats, I'd guess that it probably meant that it was easier for the good drivers to become dominant, with such a huge disparity in talent and conditioning in the field.

Would the comparison even consider level of fitness? I think since it tries to maintain independence from the influence of teams and equipment, it probably isn't relevant in the quoted study. I don't think Fangio could rip around a track for an hour pulling 3 or 4 Gs in the corners in a modern car.

But let's take it a step further. To really even things out, and get a flat comparison, modern drivers should be compared based on skill alone, leaving fitness out of the equation. So... get that time machine. Kidnap the various drivers a-la Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, but get them when they're kids. Isolate them and don't let them do any training until they are all at their peak age and then turn them all loose on the track at the same time, going through various decades and equipment. After you've had them race each other in each of the main F1 eras, THEN we would have a pretty good comparison.

• Locked thread