Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

comingafteryouall posted:

It's appropriate that the Binding of Isaac thread is filled with so much crying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
I am really enjoying Afterbirth+, but I really have no problem loading up cheat engine to build the game in my image. That being said, does anyone know any cheat tables out there that will disable the donation machine glitching and one that would enable deals with the devil/angel every floor? I've found one where I can give myself goat head, but it doesn't work on the new character, and I want a deal with the devil on the first floor! Like how I used to play.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For people who are cracking the game open now with lua to mod it like I am, I've got a couple questions:

1. How would I go about actually making a tear shot replacement? I have no idea where to even start with this and the documentation doesn't actually document anything besides saying "this is the function/enum/etc's name and that it exists"

2. Has anyone found a function/enum/call for when the player starts a floor? It has to exist somewhere because there's that item that gives you a half eternal heart at the start of each floor, but I can't figure out what it's named.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

ChibiSoma posted:

After trying Ultra Hard for an hour and never making it to the Heart, I'm convinced that McMillen doesn't know what 'Hard' means in the context of difficulty. It isn't hard. It's annoying. It's frustrating. It's unfair. But it isn't hard. Ultra Hard is misleading. Ultra Tedious might be a better name for the challenge.

Perhaps Ultra Lots of Restarting? Because that's what you have to do. Restart until floor 1 gives you gold, and then hope you get lucky with everything else. There's little skill involved here, it's almost completely down to luck. If you don't get some kind of damage multiplier and optimally something to either pierce or just shoot multiple tears, you ain't gon' win. Getting the Wafer is a really nice draw, as it neuters the waves of champions' extra damage, but that isn't gonna win the run on its own.

For those who've beaten the challenge, what'd you score on floor 1 that got you a good start? I had one where I got Proptosis and Shielded Tears, but then I got Big Horn + Little Horn (2 Little Horns?) as my second floor 1 boss and I noped myself out of that run.

Floor one pyro+kamikaze

It was exactly as tedious as it sounds

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Hey, I just decided to come back to Isaac to try Antibirth, and does anybody know why the game runs at 2 fps in windowed mode for me? It runs perfectly fine in fullscreen. I don't remember ever having this problem before.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It makes sense since Delirium is Isaac succumbing to oxygen deprivation and dying.

its important that isaac make sure to square away its verisimilitude, lest the game be ruined

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
It seems like an update to Afterbirth+ Buggered up a bunch of mods I liked to use, I don't wanna lose my achievements by using steam workshop mods because I'm pretty sure thats what unlocks stuff..

kater
Nov 16, 2010

So when's a good time to install Antibirth? I've got about 10 hours played, just beat the boss rush and unlocked Everything Is Terrible.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

kater posted:

So when's a good time to install Antibirth? I've got about 10 hours played, just beat the boss rush and unlocked Everything Is Terrible.

give it three or four hundred more hours, then think about it

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

kater posted:

If you feel confident tackling the boss rush without mom's knife, gnawed leaf, or brimstone, that's the appropriate time. The additions are just baseline harder than the main game, especially vanilla Rebirth. It's a tiny bit harder than Afterbirth's new additions, slightly less hard than AB+'s additions

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Found a new bug (for me):

Dudes spawned by vortexes can get stuck out of bounds. He can't spit it, can't move in, I can't touch him with Appolyon, and I can't kill him. Thankfully I CAN leave the room with a bomb or my card.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Dias posted:

I was gonna complain about it until I noticed the gray marks.
I'm still going to complain. what is the point of these existing

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ChibiSoma posted:

After trying Ultra Hard for an hour and never making it to the Heart, I'm convinced that McMillen doesn't know what 'Hard' means in the context of difficulty. It isn't hard. It's annoying. It's frustrating. It's unfair. But it isn't hard. Ultra Hard is misleading. Ultra Tedious might be a better name for the challenge.

Perhaps Ultra Lots of Restarting? Because that's what you have to do. Restart until floor 1 gives you gold, and then hope you get lucky with everything else. There's little skill involved here, it's almost completely down to luck. If you don't get some kind of damage multiplier and optimally something to either pierce or just shoot multiple tears, you ain't gon' win. Getting the Wafer is a really nice draw, as it neuters the waves of champions' extra damage, but that isn't gonna win the run on its own.

For those who've beaten the challenge, what'd you score on floor 1 that got you a good start? I had one where I got Proptosis and Shielded Tears, but then I got Big Horn + Little Horn (2 Little Horns?) as my second floor 1 boss and I noped myself out of that run.

Not to mention the combination of curses just make everything more tiring. XL map when you have no idea what the layout looks like combined with randomly being sent to the wrong room.

Also, not letting anything spawn hearts is kind of stupid. Why can I even get a lovers card if it does nothing?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Welp, finally beat Delirium. Other than his teleporting BS (the Forsaken form should not be allowed to loving teleport, especially mid tri-brim spin) it was hectic but fun...and crashtastic. I'd like to say it took me 1.5x tries to take him since the game crashed midway through the first fight. I do like the idea but it could definitely use some cleaning. I have no idea how someone who's actually good at the game is supposed to get the Lost and Keeper victories on him.

It was a hilariously wonderful run too. Started with Appolyon, ended up using void a grand total of once before eventually dropping it for Guppy's Paw because I kept getting good items. 20/20 at the start, followed by a pile of good poo poo like getting double vision in a shop to cheese Death's Touch out of Satan on level 2. All I wanted to get was the Smelter but with a pile of damage ups (Was in the 11-12 damage range at the end) with Tech 0.5 and homing shot I kinda shredded everything and managed to get Boss Rush, Hush, then went the Polaroid path for ??? and Mega Satan before going into the Void.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CJacobs posted:

http://puu.sh/teHRo/90c987909c.webm

Having fun with modding. My first order of business is to turn Isaac into Isaac Clarke because someone made fan art of that for my Dead Space 3 let's play like 2 years ago now.

The items I have planned are:
- RIG Helmet (in the webm), gives a soul heart at the start of each floor, I might bump it down to a half soul heart if that's too generous
- RIG Suit, changes the player's tears to a triple shot that fires in a straight line
- Contact Beam, basically a reskin of Krampus' Head except it only fires in one direction

edit: I should note that this was an unholy pain in the rear end and if you want to mod this game you are in for some not very fun times, but it was worth it to see the item ingame and functioning properly. I don't know why the pickup is offset by like 2 pixels though.

That is loving amazing and I look forward to the full product.

As for bloat, yea he's pretty lovely once you know how the beam works you shouldn't have to much trouble, there are cases where the boss spawns you on the sides and bloat tends to insta shoot the beam as soon as you spawn.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

IronicDongz posted:

I'm still going to complain. what is the point of these existing

It's the only way Edmund can finish.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Just out of curiosity, how many people remember how your very first Binding of Isaac run went? I actually made it as far as Depths I, where I died to The Cage.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
I think I died horribly to Monstro on Basement 2.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
I don't even remember why I bought the game.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Rollersnake posted:

Just out of curiosity, how many people remember how your very first Binding of Isaac run went? I actually made it as far as Depths I, where I died to The Cage.

i had no idea what the gently caress i was doing and died to monstro on the second floor like that other guy

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Alteisen posted:

That is loving amazing and I look forward to the full product.

As for bloat, yea he's pretty lovely once you know how the beam works you shouldn't have to much trouble, there are cases where the boss spawns you on the sides and bloat tends to insta shoot the beam as soon as you spawn.

Thanks! Unfortunately it's completely stalled right now because there's no way to look at existing items for their code (the game was written in C++ but mods have to be in LUA). Because of that, I can't frickin figure out how to code custom tears or a tear firing pattern because the documentation sucks and none of the sample mods do it. So I straight up can't make the suit do what I want. I will pretty much have to wait till someone releases a tutorial or a mod that does it, then look at what they did to figure it out.

https://puu.sh/tf2pk/d62eadc451.webm

The closest I've gotten is making Isaac sometimes poot out another tear when you shoot one, but it's because I grandfathered in the code from a test item someone else made and I have no idea how it actually works.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I beat Delerium on my first try but only because I picked up the night light and that neutralized all his shots.
Hell of a lot more fun than Hush. gently caress hush.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Rollersnake posted:

Found the miner helmet in Basement I, went all the way down to mom and killed her in first try. Took a couple of hours and several tries to even get to mom's heart however.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Rollersnake posted:

In Flash Isaac, the Duke of Flies on Basement 1 was the furthest I got. I wasn't used to the game yet, and got overwhelmed. :negative:

On the other hand on my first Rebirth run, I easily made it to Mom and beat her, and got a ton of powerful items along the way.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I wanna say I got to Mom in my first run, but died.

Then never saw her again and stopped playing for months. I must have lucked out with a particularly broken build that run.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

CJacobs posted:

Having fun with modding. My first order of business is to turn Isaac into Isaac Clarke because someone made fan art of that for my Dead Space 3 let's play like 2 years ago now.

- RIG Helmet (in the webm), gives a soul heart at the start of each floor, I might bump it down to a half soul heart if that's too generous
- RIG Suit, changes the player's tears to a triple shot that fires in a straight line
- Contact Beam, basically a reskin of Krampus' Head except it only fires in one direction

edit: I should note that this was an unholy pain in the rear end and if you want to mod this game you are in for some not very fun times, but it was worth it to see the item ingame and functioning properly. I don't know why the pickup is offset by like 2 pixels though.

Swap the effects of the helmet and suit around, it'll be more thematic. Also I think in a game where epic fetus exists you can get away with murder for balance. I like the idea of a soul heart every foor.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Greedier Mode is so tedious. I get the feeling doing Delerium completion will be way less stressful than this.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

AnonSpore posted:

Greedier Mode is so tedious. I get the feeling doing Delerium completion will be way less stressful than this.

Delirium for me is just a question of getting a decent start, Greedier Mode is a bitch unless you scum for a speedrun start. Funny enough I might be able to do Lost Delirium before Azazel Delirium because of his range and Hush being a barrier.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Motherfucker posted:

Swap the effects of the helmet and suit around, it'll be more thematic. Also I think in a game where epic fetus exists you can get away with murder for balance. I like the idea of a soul heart every foor.

Yeah, that's a good idea.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I think a soul heart every floor is fine too - it feels less powerful than Gimpy, for example, since you can't abuse blood donation machines and it doesn't give you a whole bunch of soul hearts in the endgame.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Make it fire three in a line then three in a spread alternating.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Rollersnake posted:

I don't remember my first Flash Isaac run, but I'm sure it went horribly. My first Rebirth run I picked up Cursed Eye as my first item and made it to the Caves I before dying, all the while getting frustrated because I was getting teleported every two seconds. I don't remember Afterbirth, but I think I beat that run. My first Afterbirth+ run I picked up Clicker as my first item, used it, got shapeshifted into The Keeper, and held R.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Delirium, like many other things in Isaac, is a really neat idea held back by lackluster execution. It's really just a few tweaks away from greatness; stop it from teleporting on top of you, stop it from teleporting mid-attack, make sure all its attacks have tells, even if they are shortened, and make its starting speed and relative speed increases based on your own speed score so it never gets unavoidably fast. It's hard to make a fight that is both hectic, chaotic, and fair, but I'm pretty sure it can be done.

It won't be, but it can.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

AnonSpore posted:

Just got my first win on Greedier and all it took was God Head, Deaths Touch, Steven, Inccubus and, like, 7 Breakfasts that just showed up on their own accord, no re-rolling or anything. Oh, and rather than fight Golden Greed he just died the second he spawned. Mild sense of being robbed of a fight, oddly but gently caress it, the slog to get to that point was actually really fun. The number of restarts washes me of any guilt getting a glitch win.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Is Samson or Bloody Lust currently bugged? It didn't seem to be working for me just now.

Edit: I'm an idiot and use Samson so rarely I confused Lusty Blood and Bloody Lust

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
lol in backwardass, a bug happened in sheol, I tried going up to the womb 2, but instead the halo of light killed my character :bravo:

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Kurtofan posted:

lol in backwardass, a bug happened in sheol, I tried going up to the womb 2, but instead the halo of light killed my character :bravo:

Forgive a dumb question but were you in a situation where you had only one red heart container and no soul hearts?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

Did you have one heart? It takes away a heart when you go up a floor and can kill you. I found that out in my first attempt when I got 9 Lives in a red chest and tried to go up.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Popo posted:

Forgive a dumb question but were you in a situation where you had only one red heart container and no soul hearts?

lol yeah, it happened again, what the gently caress?

BJPaskoff posted:

Did you have one heart? It takes away a heart when you go up a floor and can kill you. I found that out in my first attempt when I got 9 Lives in a red chest and tried to go up.

great design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

All I remember from my first Isaac experience was getting the Flash version on Steam, sucking MASSIVELY at it and absolutely not getting the hang of it and swearing off Isaac forever. "This game isn't for me, what a load of buggy and hellish bullshit this is!" I said. Then after Rebirth came out I decided to give it another try and here we are, what feels like a trillion hours later.