Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

ED: Wrong thread, dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I tried Trollhunters and had to turn it off about halfway through the first episode. Everything was so bland and sterile looking (I'm sure because they got no budget for it). The characters are all generic looking, and I hate the main character. He was like the author's idea of a perfect son, but also one that can stand up to bullies. Like, he makes meatloaf at 6am for his mom and friend because she works so hard and I don't blame that for you mom, now don't you microwave it find an oven. (I turned it off after he told his mom to use an oven instead of a microwave. That's the kind of poo poo I see come from the 30-something mothers on Facebook.) It's purely aimed at children. And I watch Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, and watched the first 5 or so seasons of Adventure Time.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Del Toro is on record as stating that the main character was meant to be a Good Boy like in the old adventure shows, with no dark past or darkness in him, because he was tired of seeing that all the time in main characters these days. I'm not sure it was the correct decision, but there it is.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I have no interest in Troll Hunters, but it looks way better than the other Netflix animation that popped up today, Tarzan and Jane. :barf:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Magnus Condomus posted:

Del Toro is on record as stating that the main character was meant to be a Good Boy like in the old adventure shows, with no dark past or darkness in him, because he was tired of seeing that all the time in main characters these days. I'm not sure it was the correct decision, but there it is.

But is the main character interesting? The aforementioned Steven Universe has a lead character who is, like, painfully Good and Kind and Earnest, but he's not boring because of it. Gravity Falls, too, has decidedly Nice protagonists. Admittedly, I only made it through part of the first episode of Trollhunters, but what I did see bored me to tears.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

IUG posted:

I tried Trollhunters and had to turn it off about halfway through the first episode. Everything was so bland and sterile looking (I'm sure because they got no budget for it). The characters are all generic looking, and I hate the main character. He was like the author's idea of a perfect son, but also one that can stand up to bullies. Like, he makes meatloaf at 6am for his mom and friend because she works so hard and I don't blame that for you mom, now don't you microwave it find an oven. (I turned it off after he told his mom to use an oven instead of a microwave. That's the kind of poo poo I see come from the 30-something mothers on Facebook.) It's purely aimed at children. And I watch Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, and watched the first 5 or so seasons of Adventure Time.

Keep in mind you're judging 26 episodes of content on roughly its first ~10 minutes. You, and anyone who didn't bother to make it past the first episode really should try and give the show a chance to prove itself. It's a slow burn since, like I mentioned, it takes a couple episodes for the characters to settle in and for the narrative to find a good pace. I don't think it's a show that should be passed up by anyone. The CG quality tends to actually get better as the show goes on; the visuals in Troll Market and the animation/choreography during the action sequences are the standouts imo, and the fights in particular are really good.

Phylodox posted:

But is the main character interesting? The aforementioned Steven Universe has a lead character who is, like, painfully Good and Kind and Earnest, but he's not boring because of it. Gravity Falls, too, has decidedly Nice protagonists. Admittedly, I only made it through part of the first episode of Trollhunters, but what I did see bored me to tears.

Interesting enough to service the story imo. Claire, Toby, the trolls, and villains more than make up for the blandness of the lead imo. Mr. Stickler is one of my favorite characters (voice by Jonathan Hyde), and he's a character who goes through a lot of changes that makes him an interesting character study. He subverts the typical "villain with a diabolical plan role" in a way that I found satisfying in the end.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

teagone posted:

Interesting enough to service the story imo. Claire, Toby, the trolls, and villains more than make up for the blandness of the lead imo. Mr. Stickler is one of my favorite characters (voice by Jonathan Hyde), and he's a character who goes through a lot of changes that makes him an interesting character study. He subverts the typical "villain with a diabolical plan role" in a way that I found satisfying in the end.

I haven't seen the show, but seeing as you described him as bland even when trying to defend him I think it's pretty safe to assume that, no matter how good the other characters are, the lead character is indeed uninteresting.

Though it's definitely possible to have a good and kind protagonist who's also interesting and engaging. Like people have already said Steven from Steven Universe fits that description, and so does the ultra sweet Poppy from Trolls. Both of these characters I like and enjoy watching. Good doesn't mean boring, it's hard to stay positive in the face of adversity and tragedy. Interestingly enough this something that both characters acknowledge in the former of a song:

Here's Poppy's: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IFuFm0m2wj0

And here's Steven's: https://youtu.be/f8kHSyeM8_Q

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I haven't seen the show, but seeing as you described him as bland even when trying to defend him I think it's pretty safe to assume that, no matter how good the other characters are, the lead character is indeed uninteresting.

By mentioning that the other characters and villains make up for Jim's blandness, yeah, I was fully acknowledging that he's played relatively straight and doesn't deviate too much from what you'd come to expect in the lead character of a monomyth. There are no surprises and no frills with him. I found it refreshing really, that he's not some tortured soul who reluctantly accepts his fate as the Trollhunter... well he is a bit reluctant at first, but it's positive vibes all around him and the story lingers more on the positivity of obtaining such a big responsibility. He's there to drive the narrative, and does his job well enough despite being plain vanilla. Anton Yelchin also does a really great job voice acting him, which helps combat the generic-ness a bit. It's like how Batman has been the most boring parts of every Batman film for me I suppose, if I were to make a comparison in film.

[edit] I should say my own opinions are going to be different from yours though. So rather than take my word for it, I urge everyone else to watch a handful of episodes and judge for yourselves :) Even if you don't like the lead, I can almost guarantee you'll enjoy Kelsey Grammer as Blinky. And Argh. Argh reminds me so much of Toothless from HTTYD :3: He is the ultimate wingman.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 8, 2017

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i am exquisitely animated. in conversation my face achieves the maximum of squash and stretch with every contorted syllable i pronounce. my lines are thick and smooth, my silhouette strong, my bones viscous and my palette pretty as a peach. i end every sexual encounter with a dance party and everyone you know is there just dancing, dancing, anonymously dancing sans speech or expression, they could be anyone, they could be strangers, they could be communists

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
:same: bro

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Woah, Avshalom just outted himself as Don Bluth.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Avshalom posted:

i am exquisitely animated. in conversation my face achieves the maximum of squash and stretch with every contorted syllable i pronounce. my lines are thick and smooth, my silhouette strong, my bones viscous and my palette pretty as a peach. i end every sexual encounter with a dance party and everyone you know is there just dancing, dancing, anonymously dancing sans speech or expression, they could be anyone, they could be strangers, they could be communists

This was hot.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Das Boo posted:

Woah, Avshalom just outted himself as Don Bluth.

I will end your lemon sucking giant bottom lipped terror if it's the last thing I do, Avshalom

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Avshalom posted:

Might as well end the thread right there, honestly. We're not gonna top that.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'll compromise. After work, I'll finally fix my OP and slap that quote up, first thing.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
it's not fair to consider avshalom posts when looking at "greatest of the thread" lists

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
But it speaks for us all. And so completely.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Just watched Kubo. They should teach this in film school as a bad example of "show, not tell." All that fancy artwork ruined by truly garbage exposition.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Also jfc, it bombed so hard

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I wonder how much of Kubo bombing is based on it's own flaws, or because people burned by Boxtrolls stayed away from it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It is small enough budget that it will do fine. There are DVD sales, merchandise sales, rights to put it for streaming online. If a film is low budget enough, it is virtually guaranteed to make money in the long run.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
I think Kubo bombed because the general populous didn't care about it. Have any of the Laika films been commercial hits?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

I think Kubo bombed because the general populous didn't care about it. Have any of the Laika films been commercial hits?

They've all had middling performance at the box office. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=laika.htm

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?id=laikashow.htm

You'll have to scroll down for international, but yeeeahhh none of them were really domestic hits, and most didn't make back their budget domestically. Kubo is the only one to not break 100 mill international though.

--
Woops beaten

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

teagone posted:

They've all had middling performance at the box office. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=laika.htm

Jesus, even Boxtrolls made almost double their budget. Kubo barely broke even.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Drifter posted:

Jesus, even Boxtrolls made almost double their budget. Kubo barely broke even.

Boxtrolls came on the heels of Paranorman, Kubo came on the heels of Boxtrolls. I guarantee you that has at least a little bit to do with Kubo being less successful.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Laika also doesn't have to be profitable due to its benefactor. All of their films recouped their initial investment, which is pretty much all that's needed to keep the company going.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Dang, I had no idea it didn't do well. It's definitely a flawed film but it's still worth watching.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Yeah when your president is a Nike billionaire and his father is a Nike seventeen billionaire you don't need to worry about your $60 million movies making too much money. It'll be interesting to see how Kubo does in Japan once it's released in a few months, I can see it going one of two ways.

And Kubo failed for many reasons: Laika's reputation, poorly received Boxtrolls, a very limited market for stop motion (only Chicken Run has made $100m in the format), release during the Olympics, coming on the heels of Zoo, Dory and Pets dominating the animation market (which is why they need to make the Colin Meloy movie, the coyotes are a guaranteed sell) and limp marketing that didn't really express anything about the movie. The first trailer was great and from there it was lovely one liners and really simplistic summaries of the plot.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Yeah their marketing seemed to devolve into a flurry of 10 second facebook gifs there at the end.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Kubo was probably also too dark, weird, and confusing both tonally and storywise for major audiences.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Kubo was probably also too dark, weird, and confusing both tonally and storywise for major audiences.

Shoulda had a dance party.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Drifter posted:

Shoulda had a dance party.

Villager: And you're the best dancer in the village! Come, show us!
Villagers, in unison: SHOW US.
Grandpa: Well... OKAY!
*Kung Fu Fighting cranks up*

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/Disney/status/818286653429137409
Not terribly shocking, but not undeserved either.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Animation Thread 2017: They Could Be Communists

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shadow Hog posted:

https://twitter.com/Disney/status/818286653429137409
Not terribly shocking, but not undeserved either.

This is a good win. Zootopia was really good.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm happy. Zootopia and Moana were both practically perfect films in my eyes, so either or both sweeping the various awards nights is good. I'd give the slight edge to Zootopia for fuzzy catpeople but I'm biased

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

In case you were curious, the other nominees were:

Kubo and the Two Strings
Ma vie de Courgette
Moana
Sing

Ma vie de Courgette was robbed, I tell you. Robbed!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I can't get my roommate to watch Anomalisa with me. How do I change this?

Samuel Clemens posted:

Kubo and the Two Strings
Ma vie de Courgette
Moana
Sing

Ma vie de Courgette...was that My Life as a Zucchini? What even was that movie?

Hedrigall posted:

I'm happy. Zootopia and Moana were both practically perfect films in my eyes, so either or both sweeping the various awards nights is good. I'd give the slight edge to Zootopia for fuzzy catpeople but I'm biased

What just the catpeople? So biased.

It clearly needed more raccoonpeople. Or something.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Samuel Clemens posted:

Kubo and the Two Strings
Ma vie de Courgette
Moana
Sing

Ma vie de Courgette actually looks pretty interesting, did anyone see it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

ThermoPhysical posted:

I can't get my roommate to watch Anomalisa with me. How do I change this?

Just watch it yourself? I imagine it can be sorta uncomfortable viewing, but goddamn it's good.

Just saw April and the Extraordinary World, and if you aren't sick of steampunk, I thought it was an absolutely charming movie.