Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
1983 was also the year my mum sent me over to the college kids next door to be babysat and they decided it would be funny to show me The Thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

Are you sure that wasn't Honey, I Blew Up The Kid (1992, d.p. John Hora)?
It was around '91 or '92. Maybe I saw a commercial? I swear it was a horror movie.

Maybe that did freak me the hell out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Thing was awesome as a kid and really sparked my imagination. I always that McFarlane Thing figure but I never found it. My buddy found it a few years ago at a store and I bought from him. So that was cool.
But I totally would've played with that spider head and had it eat all my toys.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Phylodox posted:

1983 was also the year my mum sent me over to the college kids next door to be babysat and they decided it would be funny to show me The Thing.

I just remembered that The Day After was broadcast in '83 as well. Jesus. No escape.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Phylodox posted:

Robocop meets Max Headroom for maximum future dystopian satire.

Honestly, they really weren't too different.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Boy have I got news for you!

I wonder if Steve Zahn is the poor man's Character Actor Name Here or a rich man's Character Actor Name Here

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

When I was 4-5 I watched some movie about killer bees and it was terrifying although not so much anymore. I also ended up watching a Romeo zombie movie at a friends when we were like 6 and it scaring the hell out of me, I actually really can't stand zombie movies/shows and if I see one I end up getting bad nightmares.

In glad the zombie genre has been oversaturated and died.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The movie that hosed me as a kid was Laserblast. It's probably a low budget piece of trash in hindsight (it got the MST3K treatment at some point) but something about the lead character slowly turning into a mindless ghoul really got into my head.

TBH it's not really the kind of movie that should air on an early Saturday afternoon. I saw it on a TV channel that had launched about a month earlier and I guess they still had trouble filling the gaps in their schedule. They also aired The Guyver on Sunday afternoons. Seeing an animated series with that much gore and screaming definitely was something new at that point in my life.

Edit: I meant to say "hosed me UP" but I'll just leave it like that because it's amusing.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jan 8, 2017

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"
since we going over the movies that scared us as children.

No one saw howard the duck?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Dicky mouse posted:

I saw it as an adult, what was scary? I like it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Dicky mouse posted:

That was literally either the first or second film I remember going to see in a theater. I never got the chance to be scared by it because my mom dragged us out at the first sight of duck boobs.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Phylodox posted:

1983 was also the year my mum sent me over to the college kids next door to be babysat

That seems brave of her.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Mars Attacks
I don't think I've ever seen it again since 96.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

TetsuoTW posted:

That was literally either the first or second film I remember going to see in a theater. I never got the chance to be scared by it because my mom dragged us out at the first sight of duck boobs.

Duck tits are by far the least obscene part of that film.

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

got any sevens posted:

I saw it as an adult, what was scary? I like it.

As a kid this was scary

And this was weird

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Dicky mouse posted:

As a kid this was scary

Yes, I imagine Jeffrey Jones would be much more terrifying if you were a child.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Phylodox posted:

Ah geez

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
God drat mid-eighties Lea Thompson.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Dicky mouse posted:

Was about to post this. I think my parents rented Howard the Duck once when I was a toddler, before I really could follow movies or form coherent memories. All I could remember for years was that there was some big monster towards the end that gave me a couple of nightmares, but have never seen the movie since so was never really sure if I was actually remembering the movie. So I looked it up on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXwxYIjqocA

Yeah, that'd do it. The acting/dialogue is cheesy, and the green-screen compositing isn't the best, but that is admittedly some cool monster design and stop-motion work.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The Hanging Tree in Excalibur was equal parts :black101: and :gonk: for child me. Also, the Mouse King from some The Nutcracker adaptation I somehow got to watch in a theater, gently caress that guy.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It was already pretty clear, but it's now official that Disney had all five of the top five highest grossing films of 2016.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Two things hosed me up as a child....the first was the talking hands in Labyrinth and to this day I am apprehensive to watch that film.
The other was the scene in Akira at the end where that dude mutates and some chick gets crushed in his body, the way she just disappears into a pool of blood freaked me out.

Disclaimer: I have watched both films since but don't make a regular thing of it

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

21 Muns posted:

It was already pretty clear, but it's now official that Disney had all five of the top five highest grossing films of 2016.

What chart are you looking at that doesn't have Secret Life of Pets at #4?

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Beachcomber posted:

What chart are you looking at that doesn't have Secret Life of Pets at #4?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view2=worldwide&yr=2016&p=.htm

Worldwide, not domestic.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Christine (the film) gave me nightmares as a kid.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I saw Howard the Duck as a double feature with the Transformers movie. gently caress those Cthulhu monsters at the end

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Calaveron posted:

Mars Attacks
I don't think I've ever seen it again since 96.

jesus gently caress, yes. I was watching it with my family at home, and the way the aliens moved was just utterly terrifying to me. I see now they were meant to be funny-creepy, but I had a meltdown and hid behind the couch for the rest of the movie.

I also remember being freaked out by the Halloween Ernest movie, which was a terrible dumb comedy, but had nightmarish transformation sequences that haunted my dreams.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Pizza the Hut from Space Balls used to gross me out as a kid. Especially when his robot assistant rips off a chunk and eats it. Then PtH dies by eating himself.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Wow, I didn't know this at all.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Actually, Disney's domestic gross in 2016 is also pretty special. It's the first time at least since 1913 (the earliest year I could get hard data on), and possibly the first time in the history of film, that the highest-grossing three films within a year within the United States were all distributed by the same company.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gaz2k21 posted:

The other was the scene in Akira at the end where that dude mutates and some chick gets crushed in his body, the way she just disappears into a pool of blood freaked me out.
It's not just that she disappears... You see a few frames of blood filling the meathole she's trapped in and just an eye hanging there as it goes dark.

That movie was pretty :stare::stonk: for a kid. First was the scene with Kaori getting her top ripped off and punched. Wtf was that? Cartoon titties?:crossarms: Then Kaneda has his first big freakout and dreams he's dropping his viscera everywhere.

I have no idea why, but the scene with the Bunyip from Dot and the Kangaroo was loving terrifying to me at 4.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Spatula City posted:

jesus gently caress, yes. I was watching it with my family at home, and the way the aliens moved was just utterly terrifying to me. I see now they were meant to be funny-creepy, but I had a meltdown and hid behind the couch for the rest of the movie.

I also remember being freaked out by the Halloween Ernest movie, which was a terrible dumb comedy, but had nightmarish transformation sequences that haunted my dreams.

I don't know how the licensing would work but getting the martians from Mars Attacks to do an Aflac commercial would make me giggle

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Phylodox posted:

Man Jeffrey Jones turning out to be a predator is so sad and horrible because he was one of my favorite character actors. :smith:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He wasn't a predator he was a dark overlord. Completely different thing.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

greatn posted:

God drat mid-eighties Lea Thompson.

Ahhh the halcyon days when having no rear end was a good thing

The alien monster from that DID freak me out though

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Detective No. 27 posted:

Boy have I got news for you!

I liked Sahara a lot. It was entertainingly goofy :(

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

achillesforever6 posted:

Man Jeffrey Jones turning out to be a predator is so sad and horrible because he was one of my favorite character actors. :smith:

Makes his role in Ferris Bueller a little hosed up in retrospect. Why's he so obsessed with that young boy?!

O-oh...

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Makes his role in Ferris Bueller a little hosed up in retrospect. Why's he so obsessed with that young boy?!

O-oh...

Seriously.

It's the vice-principal who is supposed to run around dealing with delinquents.

He was way out of line and should have been recognized as such.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

When I was younger I watched all kinds of horror films without getting scared but for some reason I just couldn't even look at this part of the X-Files opening:

Something about it freaked me the gently caress out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I liked Sahara a lot. It was entertainingly goofy :(
That's all I hope for with an Uncharted adaptation, I miss those goofy rear end adventure movies from the late 90s early 2000s.

• Locked thread