Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I wonder if they came up with the whole, "the computer's LCARS poo poo is so flexible that you can basically just reprogram anything to do anything from anywhere, in theory you could fly the ship from a PADD walking down the hallway" business to explain how nobody stayed at the right station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Namaer posted:

Are the rape gangs gonna be referenced every episode?

Oh they're mostly gone after episode 23.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bull3964 posted:

Oh they're mostly gone after episode 23.

Don't worry, this person is kidding, Aatrek isn't in any episodes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Nessus posted:

I wonder if they came up with the whole, "the computer's LCARS poo poo is so flexible that you can basically just reprogram anything to do anything from anywhere, in theory you could fly the ship from a PADD walking down the hallway" business to explain how nobody stayed at the right station.

Wasn't that the Okudas? And I always thought it made complete sense, any station can do anything, because there's always EPS conduits blowing up or Riker touched it after he's been to the holodeck, and the station becomes unusable.

I liked the design how there are chairs built into the part just below the stations. Though you rarely see them used.

It's nice that Doug Jones is being given the opportunity to develop the alien race he's going to be playing. I'm sure i read that Michael Dorn was given a lot of opportunities to help develop the Klingons more, and everyone who played Ferengi worked on developing them as well. That really showed and made these aliens seem way more developed and varied in their characterization than before.

On the TMP development front, I have a book that's all about the aborted Phase 2 and it's really interesting. Beyond what was discussed here, it also a a bunch of the scripts that were written. One of the most interesting one was the way the Klingons would have been handled in it. They would have been more like Fuedal Japan, with a Shogun like ruler who was why they were so militaristic, but there was also an Emperor who was more of a spiritual leader, but also sought to reform the Klingon Empire into a less hostile nation. The Enterprise crew has to help the Emperor escape an assassination attempt and help bring about civilian control over the government that would see peace between the Klingons and the Federation. They're pretty interesting and you can see stuff that was worked into TNG scripts and used in other later Trek stuff.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Croatoan posted:

My only question? How did that deep space station have a camera floating right where the Klingon ships were when V'ger zapped 'em?
I always assume every ship we see on the viewscreen is the ship just taking sensor data and live-rendering a CGI model of the ship. That makes more sense to me than the ship having a bunch of video cameras with super-good zoom lenses pointing outward.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
The novelization said they had a stealthed spy drone tagging along with the Klingon cruisers, which is also supposed to explain how they were able to intercept Klingon transmissions back to their base.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
My body is ready.

Also shown, Humble Astronomy Book bundle.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I want to read a book about asteroids and Gene's cum fantasies.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm in one of those really big "I want to watch something" moods that may or may not actually pay off. Can someone sell me on Farscape? Or maybe Lexx? I really don't know anything about them.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Farscape is one of the best shows ever made. Characters, stories, and setting all amazing and everyone should watch it. Lexx is ridiculous trash that is fun and bad in the best way and everyone should watch it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I was thinking more along the lines of "what even is this, literally, what is the premise".

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Namaer posted:

Lexx is ridiculous trash that is fun and bad in the best way and everyone should watch it.

Only the first two seasons, though. Going to Literally Heaven and Literally Hell and 90s Era Earth weren't that fun.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Astronaut goes through a wormhole and ends up in a different part of the galaxy populated by muppets and people with crazy contact lenses. At first he's determined to get home but eventually builds a life there making friends and enemies etc etc. The plot starts out episodic in season 1 but becomes extremely serialized.

Echo Video
Jan 17, 2004

WickedHate posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of "what even is this, literally, what is the premise".

Lexx is what would happen if they made a sci-fi show specifically for 16-year-old boys, and only for them, using the best actors Halifax has to offer

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Farscape was literally produced by the Jim Henson Company and that's all you need to know in order to go watch it right friggin now

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Farscape is the story of an astronaut who gets lost in a strange part of the universe, meets lots of weird-looking aliens (with nary a rubber forehead in sight), and never stops making pop culture references that none of them will ever get. There's this great mix of "land of adventure" wish fulfillment and gradual descent into madness on the part of the main character, but no one else on the crew really gives a poo poo, because they've got their own poo poo going on (most of them are escaped convicts). There's action, suspense, infighting, politics, romance, and bromance in a deeply weird setting where half the stuff our main character sees seems like magic, but that's only because no one bothers to explain anything to him. The villains vary from mustache-twirling nutcases to misguided zealots to damaged egomaniacs, but are all at least a little bit more nuanced than they first appear.

Most of all, the show is ballsy. Main characters betray each other with lasting consequences, the weird anomaly-of-the-week might still be there half a season later, and plots that seem like they'll never get resolved do and the story just moves on from there. It's a rough ride in places, but, drat it, it works and once you've gotten the hang of what the show's about, you just might get hooked.

Also, the puppets are amazing.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Scorpius is probably the best (TV) sci-fi villain ever, and the writers of Farscape gave their actors immense opportunity to experiment with the bounds of their characters with the occasional batshit-crazy episode. It also manages to have legit tear-jerker moments because you actually give a poo poo about the characters and their fully fleshed-out relationships, even though half of them are puppets or spaceships.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Also; crackers. Do they matter or not? Tune in to find out!

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?
I need to do a rewatch of Farscape after I finish Enterprise. I never did finish. Seems like I got into the Scorpius episodes for a while but then quit watching for some reason.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Dark One posted:

I read this first on Ars and did a double table when you appeared in the comments over there.

Like Q, I'm everywhere yet nowhere. :ninja:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Insurrection was on BBC America last night and somehow I never got to watch it in its entirety before.

There are better movies than Insurrection, but I somehow liked it as much as First Contact. Gonna have to buy the DVD with the Frakes/Sirtis commentary, I imagine, from what everyone on SA says about it, that it's basically got a life of its own and I could probably just listen to the movie while surfing somewhere and still be entertained..

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Insurrection was incredibly lazy, IMO. The plot was basically a mediocre TNG 2-parter

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's too bad Babylon 5 isn't on Netflix. I'd really love to watch it again. I don't think I've seen an episode since the early 2000s.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Binary Badger posted:

Insurrection was on BBC America last night and somehow I never got to watch it in its entirety before.

There are better movies than Insurrection, but I somehow liked it as much as First Contact. Gonna have to buy the DVD with the Frakes/Sirtis commentary, I imagine, from what everyone on SA says about it, that it's basically got a life of its own and I could probably just listen to the movie while surfing somewhere and still be entertained..

The commentary is exclusive to the Blu-ray, I believe. And anyway, it's pretty amazing. Sirtis is clearly shithoused about a third of the way through.

As for the movie itself, it's an odd duck. It's a product of a writer who was mentally checked out from Trek, a star who had a level of creative control that he really shouldn't have, and a director who isn't particularly talented. With the cast it has, it should be so much better, but it's just so ... neutered. Nothing of consequence happens outside of Riker and Troi getting back together.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

Timby posted:

The commentary is exclusive to the Blu-ray, I believe. And anyway, it's pretty amazing. Sirtis is clearly shithoused about a third of the way through.

As for the movie itself, it's an odd duck. It's a product of a writer who was mentally checked out from Trek, a star who had a level of creative control that he really shouldn't have, and a director who isn't particularly talented. With the cast it has, it should be so much better, but it's just so ... neutered. Nothing of consequence happens outside of Riker and Troi getting back together.

The commentary alone has been uploaded to Youtube so if you don't have the commentary on the disc you can just sync that up and play them together.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Is that the one where the director thought Geordi was some kind of alien?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Is that the one where the director thought Geordi was some kind of alien?

Nah, that was Stuart Baird on Nemesis.

Baird is a legendary editor, and he had been brought in by Paramount to do emergency salvage work on Mission: Impossible 2 and the first Tomb Raider, both of which were incomprehensible messes (M:I 2, in particular, was sitting at three and a half hours long). Both movies wound up making a metric fuckton of money for Paramount, so as their way of saying thanks to Baird -- who had two prior directing credits, Executive Decision and US Marshals, both of which were dogshit -- they promised him the director's chair on a "big" movie. That wound up being Nemesis, and Baird, who wasn't a fan of Star Trek at all, was not exactly pleased.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nobody wanted Baird on Nemesis, even Baird

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Nobody wanted Baird on Nemesis, even Baird

I remember reading somewhere that Nick Meyer showed interest/was asked to direct Nemesis but he wanted the same creative control he'd had in his two previous movies and Paramount refused. What could have been...

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Baronjutter posted:

I want to read a book about asteroids and Gene's cum fantasies.

gently caress yeah, man. :c00l:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tikifire posted:

I remember reading somewhere that Nick Meyer showed interest/was asked to direct Nemesis but he wanted the same creative control he'd had in his two previous movies and Paramount refused. What could have been...

Yep, Meyer was approached, but he demanded to be able to take his own crack at the script. Because Logan and Spiner were pretty close friends, Spiner had Logan's contract written to say that no one could rewrite him.

Similar thing happened on Generations; not only was Nimoy approached to appear in the movie, but they asked him to direct it. The movie was already written, though, and he had no interest in just showing up and directing someone else's story.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Nimoy took one look at the script and demanded a page-one rewrite.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

A lot of that sounds very territorial. Like here's Nimoy, who has been involved in the show since the beginning, knows the franchise more than most anyone, and directed the most successful movie. But the teevee guys were probably thinking "No, WE'RE the Gatekeepers of what is Star Trek, gently caress this guy." Same with Nick Meyers.

Does 50 Year Mission get into that part of history?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Star Trek Beyond ended up feeling like the "farewell to the original series" that Generations should have been.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Astroman posted:

A lot of that sounds very territorial. Like here's Nimoy, who has been involved in the show since the beginning, knows the franchise more than most anyone, and directed the most successful movie. But the teevee guys were probably thinking "No, WE'RE the Gatekeepers of what is Star Trek, gently caress this guy." Same with Nick Meyers.

Does 50 Year Mission get into that part of history?

Yeah briefly. Ron Moore agrees with Nimoy now, but at the time Nimoy sounded like a bit of an rear end. Most of the TOS cast they asked to come back assumed they'd have a featured role in the movie and that's why most of them passed. Even Doohan says he only appeared for the paycheck. I take the TNG side on this, I don't think Moore and Berman were being unreasonable during the writing and negotiation. It's the first TNG movie, why would the entire TOS cast feel entitled to featured roles?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Blast Fantasto posted:

Star Trek Beyond ended up feeling like the "farewell to the original series" that Generations should have been.

That isn't what Generations should have been. TOS got their farewell in TUC.

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That isn't what Generations should have been. TOS got their farewell in TUC.

Exactly. Generations should've ejected the TOS stuff altogether and focused on a good story featuring the TNG crew. Instead you get this weird movie that can't figure out what its about or what it wants to be even.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Seriously, STVI ends with the cast literally signing off as the story says "the world has moved on, these guys adventure is over and they know it." Why should Generations be an additional farewell?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I don't think those guys were interested in doing literally just cameos after such a strong ending to their story, and I can't say I blame them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean how do you even have another TOS movie of any kind when the last thing they had said was "second star to the right and straight on till morning"?

It was either bizarro space-time wedgie or nothing.