Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Maybe I didn't give it a fair shake, but like the first fews hours or so of Until Dawn after the prologue that I saw was just a jump scare followed by "tricked you!" over and over until I completely lost interest in the game. :(

also the only interesting character, Flamethrower Man (theory but I'm spoiling it because I'm that sure) is really loving obviously a good guy because he tried to save the girls in the prologue and shushed the one girl in the cave instead of killing her with the goddamn flamethrower but everyone keeps running from him. I want to be in his game instead of unlikeable teens pranking each other simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
David Cage is so loving awful, it's amazing how terrible he is

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

A. Beaverhausen posted:

No... No one has ever wanted a rail shooter :(

How the gently caress did that board meeting even go?

"VR is a thing and we need something on it, go."

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Danaru posted:

Maybe I didn't give it a fair shake, but like the first fews hours or so of Until Dawn after the prologue that I saw was just a jump scare followed by "tricked you!" over and over until I completely lost interest in the game. :(

also the only interesting character, Flamethrower Man (theory but I'm spoiling it because I'm that sure) is really loving obviously a good guy because he tried to save the girls in the prologue and shushed the one girl in the cave instead of killing her with the goddamn flamethrower but everyone keeps running from him. I want to be in his game instead of unlikeable teens pranking each other simulator.

It's like a Jason movie. First third is boring then it goes out of control. The moment to moment is great.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DeathChicken posted:

I have a bug to play another game along the lines of Until Dawn (there are several characters, there's a mystery to solve, things can go differently depending on how badly you gently caress up and get everyone killed). Suggestions?

Phrasing it that way reminds me of the first couple of Clock Towers, actually

Try Life Is Strange, it's not really a horror game, more of a 2000's indie teen SF movie vibe but it's pretty good.

Oxenfree is a 2D indie game but it has a similar style where you actions and dialogue choices can effect the outcome and it's really good.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

Try Life Is Strange, it's not really a horror game, more of a 2000's indie teen SF movie vibe but it's pretty good.

Oxenfree is a 2D indie game but it has a similar style where you actions and dialogue choices can effect the outcome and it's really good.

Life is Strange definitely gets some serious horror elements in the last episode. I'd have liked it if more of the game was like that.

Also a big Oxenfree fan. I think nine-gear crow from SA was listed as one of the voice actors in it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

They could make the UD sequel so more complex motion controls make for more interesting interaction, but nah Sony says move headsets so we're going with lovely zombie shooter.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 8, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

DreamShipWrecked posted:

They could make the US sequel so more complex motion controls make for more interesting interaction, but nah Sony says move headsets so we're going with lovely zombie shooter.

Sony probably gave them a bundle of unmarked bills to pad out the VR launch so it would have more than 1 good game.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
A video got posted in here not too long ago of a dude walking through his house in Japan that had been flooded, every left turn he said this is the longest hallway in my house and it was creepy as heck. I can't find it for the life of me, anyone remember?

Edits--found it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWXnt2Z2D1E

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 8, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gay Horney posted:

A video got posted in here not too long ago of a dude walking through his house in Japan that had been flooded, every left turn he said this is the longest hallway in my house and it was creepy as heck. I can't find it for the life of me, anyone remember?

Edits--found it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWXnt2Z2D1E

"this is not horror video" - a big loving liar, 2016

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Blockhouse posted:

"this is not horror video" - a big loving liar, 2016

A girl showing off her house after it suffered storm damage is hardly a horror video. Unless she doesn't have home insurance, then it might be really scary.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Pretty sure that woman is slightly insane because she also did this video which is horrifying in its own way.

Watch to the very end.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

IShallRiseAgain posted:

A girl showing off her house after it suffered storm damage is hardly a horror video. Unless she doesn't have home insurance, then it might be really scary.

You should watch it tho

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

IShallRiseAgain posted:

it's staged :ssh:

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
goons freaking out over the sound of japanese rain, to the surprise of nobody.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Normal Adult Human posted:

goons freaking out over the sound of japanese rain, to the surprise of nobody.

You're probably being funny, but in case you're not, the video's an elaborate mockup that uses camera tricks and weird transitions to make a single hallway seem to be about half a mile long, with the rooms becoming gradually more decayed on each pass. The captions maintain the same slightly broken deadpan and repetition of phrases, which makes the whole thing appropriately unsettling.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I wish my attention span online was longer. I watched that video just long enough to see that it was a creepy looking house. Though my brain was mostly wondering how much the repair costs would be then I turned it off after about a minute in.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

1stGear posted:

Pretty sure that woman is slightly insane because she also did this video which is horrifying in its own way.

Watch to the very end.

Why is an artist making commentary about art horrifying?
I thought it was a brilliant piece.
If you want something to make you feel really bad, here ya go!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSER3yml1iM

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Oxxidation posted:

You're probably being funny, but in case you're not, the video's an elaborate mockup that uses camera tricks and weird transitions to make a single hallway seem to be about half a mile long, with the rooms becoming gradually more decayed on each pass. The captions maintain the same slightly broken deadpan and repetition of phrases, which makes the whole thing appropriately unsettling.

don't forget the loving decayed corpses of her grandparents

it's weird that no one mentions those when they talk about this video even without doing the admittedly good "this is totally normal" gimmick

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It's a really good video. I think the combination of the sound of rain and the sight traditional architecture are super soothing. It's a really good video. I think the combination of the sound of rain and the sight traditional architecture are super soothing. It's a really good video. I think the combination of the sound of rain and the sight traditional architecture are super soothing. It's a really good video. I think the combination of the sound of rain and the sight traditional architecture are super soothing. It's a really good video. I think the combination of the sound of rain and the sight traditional architecture are super soothing.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Bogart posted:

It's a really good video. I think the combination of the sound of rain and the sight traditional architecture are super soothing. It's a really good video. I think the combination of the sound of rain and the sight traditional architecture are super soothing. It's a really good video. I think the combination of the sound of rain and the sight traditional architecture are super soothing. It's a really good video. I think the combination of the sound of rain and the sight traditional architecture are super soothing. It's a really good video. I think the combination of the sound of rain and the sight traditional architecture are super soothing.

It's a really good video. I think the combination of the sound of rain and the sight traditional architecture are super soothing. There's grandma.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hemingway To Go! posted:

It's a really good video. I think the combination of the sound of rain and the sight traditional architecture are super soothing. There's grandma.
Grandfather isn't here.This photo is from WWII.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

That video becomes even creepier doubled up with that song from Siren

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Dreadwroth posted:

Why is an artist making commentary about art horrifying?
I thought it was a brilliant piece.
If you want something to make you feel really bad, here ya go!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSER3yml1iM

I also thought it was pretty cool. Reminded me of the Buddhist sand mandala.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Danaru posted:

What you and I want is Tucker and Dale Versus Evil the video game. A game about some good natured, not pretty person trying to deal with crazy loving teenagers in a horror film.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Blockhouse posted:

it's weird that no one mentions those

Have you considered that might be intentional. :ssh:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mindblast posted:

Have you considered that might be intentional. :ssh:

I think there may also have been some people who legitimately didn't watch the whole thing because of its length and just figured it must be some normal (if off-putting) video of storm damage and closed it before they saw anything unusual.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

I think there may also have been some people who legitimately didn't watch the whole thing because of its length and just figured it must be some normal (if off-putting) video of storm damage and closed it before they saw anything unusual.

They're also, admittedly, hard to notice the first time because of how well they blend into the scenery.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I got around to watching FnaF 5's secret endings. Content aside, what surprises me most is that Sister Location has really good voice acting. I don't know who Cawthorn hired or if he directed them himself, but adding VA to that series could have turned out disastrously and it was definitely a well-executed risk.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Oxxidation posted:

I got around to watching FnaF 5's secret endings. Content aside, what surprises me most is that Sister Location has really good voice acting. I don't know who Cawthorn hired or if he directed them himself, but adding VA to that series could have turned out disastrously and it was definitely a well-executed risk.

Funtime Freddy sounding like the Joker is probably one of my favourite things about the game :allears: I love Sister Location

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Danaru posted:

Funtime Freddy sounding like the Joker is probably one of my favourite things about the game :allears: I love Sister Location

Not to mention that the ending monologue from Michael/Spring Trap is top-notch stuff. Somber without becoming farcical, especially considering the ridiculous subject matter.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Some previews coming out for RE7 and it's looking surprisingly good. There's an opening chase after the dinner scene with the Chainsaw Massacre family that looks like something out of Call of Cthulhu with the chase/survival elements of Alien although probably not as punishing for gently caress ups.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

This is legit the first time in loving years and years that I'm actually looking forward to a Resident Evil game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I only played the first demo so I was super shocked when I started it up again with the finished one and things were super different. Either that or I forgot where the VHS tape was because I wandered a bit and then put it down for the night.

Planning to rent the game when it comes out

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
This is a little different from usual, but the Dead by Daylight community is really nice and understanding when you're learning a role :3:

also I greatly dislike the Nurse.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Since when does DBD have post-game chat? I would figure that it would mostly be full of "I WAS SO CLOSE gently caress YOU"

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I'm playing through System Shock One because I've had it sitting on my computer

I installed the mouse look mod and holy poo poo 10/10

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Since when does DBD have post-game chat? I would figure that it would mostly be full of "I WAS SO CLOSE gently caress YOU"

I've only owned the game for the last two weeks or so, so far everyone's been pretty polite except one guy playing as Mike Myers who camped the hooks :mad: what a rude jerk

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Both System Shocks are so goddamn good.

System Shock 2 was the first 'scary' game I ever played and I couldn't handle more than 20 minutes at a time, at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I just couldn't get into the interface, which is why I'm really looking forward to the remake.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/482400/

Pity it's still a year or more away, but the demo is pretty good.