Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

basically,

Jonathan: 12, and then 20~21
Joseph: 19~20
Jotaro: 17 (lmao "adult manly character")
Josuke: 16
Giorno: 15
Jolyne: 19
Johnny: 19
Gappy: estimated at late teens/early twenties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Kawabata posted:

Was a fan of the early Jojo series, especially the Jotaro one. Finished watching Stardust Crusaders last week and it's absolutely stellar, as good as I remember it (read the comics eons ago).

I've recently started Diamond is Unbreakable (anime) and the amount of stupid is physically hurting me. Why has the series gone from adult manly characters betting their souls in a poker game to some prepubescent boy being imprisoned by a high school girl with a "hair" Stand, forced to pee himself because the bathroom door has a lock? Why does his dumb noise-making stand looks like a pokemon? Why doesn't Jotaro have a nose now, what the gently caress happened to Araki's style?.

Is the Josuke part representative of what comes next? Because I wanted to read the comics again but there's only so much crushing disappointment I can take.

You can go to hell idiot

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Sorry

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
I mean you could argue that most action animes are aimed at the same target demographic, but older viewers still watch stuff like kabaneri, attack on titan and erased if they like the genre. I'm among them. "Being out of the target audience" is kind of a weird remark, some of my older friends are around 40 and they still occasionally play games/watch anime if that's what they liked to do 10-15 years ago. I'm sure most goons do/will do the same.

Also you can be witty all you want with Jotaro being 17: he looked 10 years older like everyone else in SC. I'm beginning to enjoy part 4 but if you don't think it's jarring to go from roided manly tough guys to 14 year old midgets with pokemon stands peeing their pants then I don't know what to say.

no they will not posted:

You can go to hell idiot

oh boy this guy sure sounds like he's the target demographic

Death Bot posted:

Koichi is great later but is total rear end in early episodes. Part 4 takes a minute to get really good.

Yeah. But I feel it's mostly Koichi and the art being weird here and there, the rest looks much more interesting now that I'm 10 episodes in.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 8, 2017

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Kawabata posted:

No no I get the 80s action star criticism but I'm also an older (30+!) occasional manga reader so I find it really, really difficult to like a story like Josuke's. Maybe it's aimed to a younger target audience, or maybe it's my taste: I'll keep watching it and see if my opinion changes. I did like most of the recent action-y stuff though (Kabaneri, Attack on Titan).

Araki's "new" style however is something that instantly didn't click with me. I don't need beefslabs but the drawings look almost pokemon-y at times, there seems to be waaay less detail than there was in Stardust Crusaders and Jotaro not having a nose still bothers me.

Im 37, and it actually grows up as it goes, and part 4 is slightly more mature than 3 overall for various reasons. Araki's art gets better and better as well, he starts to adopt more realism into his style instead of aping Fist of the North Star.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Darko posted:

Im 37, and it actually grows up as it goes, and part 4 is slightly more mature than 3 overall for various reasons. Araki's art gets better and better as well, he starts to adopt more realism into his style instead of aping Fist of the North Star.

Another older anime dude! :)

Yes, it's slowly growing on me now.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Part 3 had you see a manbaby get his dick washed and he had a baby knight Stand right next to him. and also a baby gets fed his own poop.

there were so many loving piss poop and toilet jokes in part 3 that it's actually kinda annoying

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Kawabata posted:

Also you can be witty all you want with Jotaro being 17: he looked 10 years older like everyone else in SC. I'm beginning to enjoy part 4 but if you don't think it's jarring to go from roided manly tough guys to 14 year old midgets with pokemon stands peeing their pants then I don't know what to say.

Jotaro may look old for his age in SDC but he acts like a child, because he is a child

and it's not jarring at all because in part 3 we had Polnareff licking a toilet, Joseph getting a saliva-facial from a camel, Kakyoin feeding a baby its own poop, Polnareff and Abdul pissing down a man's throat, Joseph and Abdul accidentally miming oral sex in front of kids, etc. etc. Stardust Crusaders is waaay less gritty and tough than people remember it to be, it's actually full of goofs and gags.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

standard owl posted:

Jotaro may look old for his age in SDC but he acts like a child, because he is a child

and it's not jarring at all because in part 3 we had Polnareff licking a toilet, Joseph getting a saliva-facial from a camel, Kakyoin feeding a baby its own poop, Polnareff and Abdul pissing down a man's throat, Joseph and Abdul accidentally miming oral sex in front of kids, etc. etc. Stardust Crusaders is waaay less gritty and tough than people remember it to be, it's actually full of goofs and gags.

I think the manchild gags you're talking about are somewhat more "relatable" to older viewers (along with Fist of the North Star similarities that never bothered me) than high school drama though, and they took nothing away from the grittier moments because they were either separated from them or they kind of worked inside them, except maybe the Alessi episode. I guess we disagree.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!
I was born in the era of roided manly tough guy jojo art and I think it only gets better as it goes, art- and writing-wise. :shobon:

(if you don't like crude jokes or gross body-fluid-related stuff you are probably not going to like the rest of the series tho, like parts 5 and 6 both have unnecessary Piss Incidents)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The high school drama of being kidnapped and being forced to solve a puzzle to reach the bathroom in time

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Darko posted:

Yeah this is the best point. Just because Part 4 has a younger cast on average than Part 3 doesn't make it less mature, it's the opposite actually. Part 3 is great but it's basically dudes heading to Egypt and beating up people who never appear again on the way, Part 4 has far more going on.

e: Also you're making a lot of strange judgments on the whole about Part 4 because the highschool drama is contained as just being Yukako being obssessed with Koichi and the Pokemon Stand is apparently just Echoes.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

FirstAidKite posted:

The high school drama of being kidnapped and being forced to solve a puzzle to reach the bathroom in time
Yeah this was the joke I was about to make.

Conflating Kochi being kidnapped by a girl with emotional issues who has full control over her own hair who decides to murder him and he has to fight back with his sound reptile as High School Drama is a bit weird and diminutive, but I see where you're coming from I guess in that it feels just lower stakes. Plus Koichi is a real love him or hate him type of character.

Part 4 is built entirely on Low Stakes though, they are certainly high stakes within that. It's just a sharp turn for an action manga to take

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Most importantly, it features the Best Boy of All Jojos, the flawless Rohan Kishibe.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Araki is the Kojima of superfluous piss.

Kawabata posted:

I think the manchild gags you're talking about are somewhat more "relatable" to older viewers (along with Fist of the North Star similarities that never bothered me) than high school drama though, and they took nothing away from the grittier moments because they were either separated from them or they kind of worked inside them, except maybe the Alessi episode. I guess we disagree.

:shrug: I just disagree that part 4 is a huge jump in tone from 3. It is in terms of setting and pacing (which I actually consider one of its strengths), but the goofs:grit ratio is not significantly different. I think as you read/watch more of part 4, you'll start seeing the weird dark stuff (and imo Yamagishi Yukako Falls in Love is some hosed-up Stephen King's Misery poo poo). Araki never stops taking inspiration from horror stories and urban legends, and I think that's the most apparent in part 4. Also never forget that even in its more serious moments part 3 is still funny, like DIO moving people around during The World's time stop to gently caress with them

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Moltrey posted:

Yeah this was the joke I was about to make.

Conflating Kochi being kidnapped by a girl with emotional issues who has full control over her own hair who decides to murder him and he has to fight back with his sound reptile as High School Drama is a bit weird and diminutive, but I see where you're coming from I guess in that it feels just lower stakes. Plus Koichi is a real love him or hate him type of character.

Part 4 is built entirely on Low Stakes though, they are certainly high stakes within that. It's just a sharp turn for an action manga to take

I get the high school drama joke, but yeah it is a very sharp turn. Not just from part 3 but from everything that came before. That said I can see how the low stakes might be a blessing in disguise because it's hard for Araki to be creative when each and every series is about beefy guys trying to save the world.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Stardust crusaders wasn't about saving the world

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

Stardust crusaders wasn't about saving the world

pretty sure it was

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

it was about saving a mom, the rest of the world was purely incidental

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

standard owl posted:

you could say that, moms are at least as important

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

standard owl posted:

to a good boy like Jotaro, his mom and the world are the same

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Someone draw Holly as The World please

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I don't remember which jojonium it was, but araki said that Joseph pooped and peed his pants when Dio killed him.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Someone post the image where someone said part 4 cucked jotaro by drawing him different or whatever

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Exercu posted:

Anecdotal evidence on part popularity. In a nice little store in Akiba I found one Cream, one Josuke, one stone mask, one Avdol, one part 5 spoiler, one purple haze, one gold experience, one Tonio, one oingo boingo, one jotaro and two kosaku kiras.

Last time I had my friend buy me stuff when they visited Japan they sent me pics featuring shelf after shelf of Moody Blues figs so

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Kawabata posted:

The relatable gags of licking toilets and peein in snorkels

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kawabata posted:

pretty sure it was

It was about destroying the world

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kawabata posted:

I mean you cherry picked the most irrelevant stand of starlight crusaders and it still looks less dumb.

If you think the stand that puts a main cast member out of commission for most of the back half of the part AND is the debut fight for a new main cast member is "The most irrelevant" You're kind of really dumb.

Sorry, buddy.

Kawabata posted:

pretty sure it was

SDC was about saving your mom's/your friend's hot mom's life and satisfying your Great Great Grandfather's blood oath of vengeance while also licking toilets and getting clowned on by a baby and a Southern Gentleman who was also the world's biggest gently caress up.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

tap my mountain posted:

I don't remember which jojonium it was, but araki said that Joseph pooped and peed his pants when Dio killed him.

johnathan pooped and peed his pants while holding dios head

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

If you think the stand that puts a main cast member out of commission for most of the back half of the part AND is the debut fight for a new main cast member is "The most irrelevant" You're kind of really dumb.

Sorry, buddy.

lol

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I mean Sethan and Bastet are right there.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Last time I had my friend buy me stuff when they visited Japan they sent me pics featuring shelf after shelf of Moody Blues figs so
garbage stand with useless user remains unsold, checks out

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Improbable Lobster posted:

The relatable gags of licking toilets and peein in snorkels

i, too, think having an invisible baby literally poo poo on a senile joseph joestar is a marked improvement over toilet gags

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Dude why are you so hung up over the rare toilet humor in a series that is dotted with random bits of toilet humor

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kawabata posted:

i, too, think having an invisible baby literally poo poo on a senile joseph joestar is a marked improvement over toilet gags

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Araki Hirohiko's Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 9: Everybody Poops

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Kawabata posted:

Was a fan of the early Jojo series, especially the Jotaro one. Finished watching Stardust Crusaders last week and it's absolutely stellar, as good as I remember it (read the comics eons ago).

I've recently started Diamond is Unbreakable (anime) and the amount of stupid is physically hurting me. Why has the series gone from adult manly characters betting their souls in a poker game to some prepubescent boy being imprisoned by a high school girl with a "hair" Stand, forced to pee himself because the bathroom door has a lock? Why does his dumb noise-making stand looks like a pokemon? Why doesn't Jotaro have a nose now, what the gently caress happened to Araki's style?.

Is the Josuke part representative of what comes next? Because I wanted to read the comics again but there's only so much crushing disappointment I can take.

I kind of want to print this post, frame it and then throw the whole thing in a dumpster

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

Dude why are you so hung up over the rare toilet humor in a series that is dotted with random bits of toilet humor

i'm not, posters itt keep bringing them up when they compare part 3 to part 4

i'm glad you agree with me on how dumb those posts are, friend

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

let's get back to the important issues, such as

Death Bot posted:

Someone post the image where someone said part 4 cucked jotaro by drawing him different or whatever

[x]

loving sjws ruining my jojos

i refuse to believe this is real but i assume this is what you're talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Please don't post tiny jotaro