Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Benthalus posted:

Sorry, I think my post was vague. I mean that the current game mechanic, where a unit has a 10% chance per battle to raise their TM rating by 0.1%, is a way for the company to avoid violating Japanese gatcha gambling laws and has been present since the game launched. It allows the full potential of the unit to be attained by anyone playing the game, but encourages whales to spend money to obtain multiple copies of the unit and therefore attain that full potential sooner. Anyhow, that's the theory people have mentioned for the TM systems configuration.
Ohhh, I see what you meant in your original post now. Yeah, 100% the tiny chance to gain per battle is meant to skirt that law. It probably wouldn't even exist otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Any leak about what's coming next week? I feel like we are due for another King Mog event.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
lunar new year event, probably

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I get a cheap thrill out of TM grind racing. Started 2 Gafgarions at the same time and one is at 33.5 and the other is at 31.1

I'm the dork that covers the screen during a pull and slowly lifts my hand up to reveal the dude or dudettes feet first. Today's 1/2 pull I didn't even recognize the thing with the whole body revealed. Was a Ludimille, which I hadn't seen since the banner, and it was 3* and the one I TM'd was 4* and they look pretty different. Cool, might as well burn a ticket, that's pretty decent.

Woo rainbow #5 is Dark Fina (Gilbert, Draculaswell, Lightning x2). Need a Mog event to level her though. No rush since I have 2 lvl 100 Ex's. Weirdly I still need a CoD, been playing since launch and pull all the time and never had one.

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016

I am Communist posted:

I don't think its kept "hush-hush" but some people keep rolling because of wanting the characters that are their favorites or to "catch them all". People spend money on what they want. If you want 1500 dollars worth of cocaine, they'll get it. If its gambling it away or spending it all on a hundreds of lotto tickets for a jackpot you may never see, etc. Out of the billions of people in the world there will be those thousands (that play this game, or applies to other things) that can afford that habit or purchases, and those that can't who still will purchase. [All whaling for their own reasons or addiction making them happy(or not).]

To put it this way, when I was in the military a long time ago there were gambling machines in the enlisted club at our base overseas. Lots of the military dependents and even the military members themselves played these machines and some got addicted to it. Spending entire monthly paychecks and not paying bills putting all their money sometimes into these slot machines. I remember clearly when one of the wives won a $15,000 jackpot and then proceeded to PUT IT ALL BACK INTO THE SAME SLOT MACHINE. She would lick her thumb, swipe it across the glass where the symbols would roll by, pull the lever and then make a noise in the back of her throat every time she pulled the lever. Until the last dollar was gone. Most people went there to drink and played for entertainment, but some it even went beyond addiction and enjoyment like some kind of compulsion or ritual. Not stopping until its all the money was gone.

Not trying to justify it but honestly people will do what makes them happy or think that will make them happy. I guess what I'm saying is we all can gaze at someone's "waste of funds", ultimate beanie-baby collector mentality, or fetish the same way. Too much of anything etc. Youtube has videos of extreme hoarding, extreme cheapskates, and My Strange Addiction shows that will make whaling for a toilet game look tame by comparison.

Welp, anyone want my account/Dark Fina? If we're comparing this game to extreme hoarding and extreme compulsive gambling it doesn't seem fun anymore.

Mrit SA
Nov 11, 2016

by Lowtax

cosmicprank posted:

Welp, anyone want my account/Dark Fina? If we're comparing this game to extreme hoarding and extreme compulsive gambling it doesn't seem fun anymore.

People *can* do this, none of us do.

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016
That Gilgamesh Whale is free to play?

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I'm pretty sure nobody in this thread is pissing away their life savings on digital action figures. I could be wrong, but it seems like most of us are either F2P or reasonable levels of paying players.

Of course, there are goons who've spent thousands of dollars on Star Citizen so I guess anything is possible

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

cosmicprank posted:

I have no idea, but that guy's equipment (I don't know what his ability screen looks like) is all either drops or relatively common TMs. Excalibur comes from Cecil, Sakurafubuki comes from Miyuki, ribbon comes from Kefka, all of those are 3* base characters. The Genji Glove is Gilgamesh's own TM, so it's the rarest of of the lot, but obviously you'd have access to it if you were equipping Gilgamesh

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

Dial-a-Dog posted:

I'm pretty sure nobody in this thread is pissing away their life savings on digital action figures. I could be wrong, but it seems like most of us are either F2P or reasonable levels of paying players.

Of course, there are goons who've spent thousands of dollars on Star Citizen so I guess anything is possible

Well Fenrir is a couple thousands in at least.

Nah, the StarCitizen goons have been saved by our lord and saviour Dr. D_SM4RT.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

cosmicprank posted:

Don't let these munchkins get ya down, kid. They're good folks.

Hardbody
Nov 11, 2014

cosmicprank posted:

Yep, totally free to play.

He caught me in my DFina setup. Normal setup:

Cat Pilot
Jan 29, 2003

cosmicprank posted:

i think you should take a break from stuff friend, you seem very stressed out over what other people do with their money

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Spent all day working Vaan up to 80 just so I could work up full break.

Once he got there I immediately did the no-companion Veritas fight. Made the mistake of having baraeroa on Vaan so my DPS fell off a little. My CoD ran out of MP 1/2 way through so I lost Protectga. Lenna too a Jump and got one shotted so no more heals, Charlotte took an Aeroga to the fence and suffered due to her attachment to Golem. At 1/4 Exdeath pops off his last imperil, Vaan puts up his last full break. CoD resists the Aeroga and is at 1/4 health.

Every body wipes and I got him down to like 1/5 health.

Pop some lapis for the full body raise and started limit breaking after the initial set up, and now I can continue with content!

Mrit SA
Nov 11, 2016

by Lowtax

hagie posted:

Spent all day working Vaan up to 80 just so I could work up full break.

Once he got there I immediately did the no-companion Veritas fight. Made the mistake of having baraeroa on Vaan so my DPS fell off a little. My CoD ran out of MP 1/2 way through so I lost Protectga. Lenna too a Jump and got one shotted so no more heals, Charlotte took an Aeroga to the fence and suffered due to her attachment to Golem. At 1/4 Exdeath pops off his last imperil, Vaan puts up his last full break. CoD resists the Aeroga and is at 1/4 health.

Every body wipes and I got him down to like 1/5 health.

Pop some lapis for the full body raise and started limit breaking after the initial set up, and now I can continue with content!

Wind Veritas is there to gently caress over new players, and is a big sign that says 'Hey, go level your characters'

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Wind veritas is a MOTHERFUCKING rear end in a top hat and i hope whoever coded him steps on a lego

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Today marked either 2.5 weeks or 3 weeks of being on pause.

My friend that's is like rank 74 told me the gut check was the ice dragon that unlocks Shiva...I told him he was sorely wrong.

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016

Cat Pilot posted:

i think you should take a break from stuff friend, you seem very stressed out over what other people do with their money

from stuff? nah, just this game. i didnt see the "speak no ill of this game" rule in the op, my mistake.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

cosmicprank posted:

from stuff? nah, just this game. i didnt see the "speak no ill of this game" rule in the op, my mistake.

I mean, It's a gacha game. If you have zero willpower or make poor financial decisions I would stay away from it, along with most freemium games.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hey i just downloaded this in anticipation of the big ariana event and it seems like a lot of people in the doc have chizuru for their companion which is cool because she was my first draw. anyway i'm gonna add some ppl

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016

Victis posted:

I mean, It's a gacha game. If you have zero willpower or make poor financial decisions I would stay away from it, along with most freemium games.

Yeah, unlike the rest of you, as I stated, this was all new to me, I only got this game cuz I'm a fan of the FF series. You all seem to have experience with several of these types of games but terms like whale and gacha were completely new to me. Forums are for discussion and learning, so, now I know. Again, I apologize for sounding brash, this just really blew my mind.

And no, I'm not gonna put any money into this game, it's been stated that there isn't a point several times, so I'm good on that front.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
I don't mind paying money in a mobile game for IAP or gacha, but the pulls in this game are so loving insanely expensive and your chance of getting anything good is astronomically low. If you spend 50 bucks on lapis to do 11 pulls then you are most likely going to get jack poo poo in return. I've been playing since release, only thing they have had worth buying so far were the newbie package for $5 and the christmas bundle.

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016
Is it more forgiving in other games? I actually have to say I did play Puzzles and Dragons but I never got that far/spent money, so I guess I just didn't learn about this subculture.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

the more you spend on this game the more poo poo you can talk.

this game is goddamn terrible, but way better than p&d.

Cat Pilot
Jan 29, 2003

Super No Vacancy posted:

hey i just downloaded this in anticipation of the big ariana event and it seems like a lot of people in the doc have chizuru for their companion which is cool because she was my first draw. anyway i'm gonna add some ppl

don't get your hopes up re: Ariana but come join the discord if you want to chat about things. the OP has good new player tips in it but a lot of people don't seem to read it

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

cosmicprank posted:

And no, I'm not gonna put any money into this game, it's been stated that there isn't a point several times, so I'm good on that front.

There's nothing wrong with putting money into the game. If you plan to do so wait for the sales and good bundles to show up and always ALWAYS ask in the thread if something is a good value. The Black Friday Lapis sales were very good and the Christmas bundle was also a very good value. Right now, it's rear end.

If you are new to the game, wait until you hit the end of the current story before spending any cash in the store. You can easily F2P up till that point and you should know if the game is fun for you or not. Definitely make sure you are having fun before you commit any cash. If you have been good at doing your daily 1/2 pull, you should have a decent A team and a good group of TM capable units.

Then you can put some cash in and go for some 11 pulls on a quality banner like the recent Noctis banner or the legendary FF 3 banner or the FF 5 banner. Or you can do the smart goon reccomended thing and put some cash into TM farming. Always ask us before you spend!

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
How hot is the competition to stay in range of the free Arena TM from the monthly? Never bothered with it much December, I'm at a 50 win streak with Noct Kefka Arc Arc ExDeath and it's been close to a loss only once, but I'm feeling the heat. Everyone's got Noct, rear end in a top hat-spec Cecil, etc.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
it's really easy to stay below 90k for the free monthly moogle

even below 30k isn't tough if you spend most of your orbs

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Well I'm stumped.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
Counterpart to the $ talk: gumi is very much an rear end in a top hat company with black marks all over their history, up to and including their management of this game (grindy events, overpriced bundles, low rare unit pull rates, frequently mismanaged maintenance, not fixing bugs and crashes that cost the player time-limited resources, the list goes on and on,) and preys on people with gambling/collectors/min-max'ing addictions, and or poor self/impulse control. There are stories of people spending hundreds to thousands of dollars, sometimes depleting their life savings in pursuit of rare characters. Often without anything to show for it.

I'd be extremely wary of giving them any money.

Aside from that though, it's a fun game.

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016

Cartoon Man posted:

There's nothing wrong with putting money into the game. If you plan to do so wait for the sales and good bundles to show up and always ALWAYS ask in the thread if something is a good value. The Black Friday Lapis sales were very good and the Christmas bundle was also a very good value. Right now, it's rear end.

If you are new to the game, wait until you hit the end of the current story before spending any cash in the store. You can easily F2P up till that point and you should know if the game is fun for you or not. Definitely make sure you are having fun before you commit any cash. If you have been good at doing your daily 1/2 pull, you should have a decent A team and a good group of TM capable units.

Then you can put some cash in and go for some 11 pulls on a quality banner like the recent Noctis banner or the legendary FF 3 banner or the FF 5 banner. Or you can do the smart goon reccomended thing and put some cash into TM farming. Always ask us before you spend!

Nah, I'm good. This is a fun timewaster but I'm not paying money to, as you said, look cooler than other goons and stuff; I think my team is more than capable of beating the game. The dude who was like I get EXTREMELY JEALOUS over other people's characters, I'm not trying to get there, got enough problems.

Shark Tower posted:

Counterpart to the $ talk: gumi is very much an rear end in a top hat company with black marks all over their history, up to and including their management of this game (grindy events, overpriced bundles, low rare unit pull rates, frequently mismanaged maintenance, not fixing bugs and crashes that cost the player time-limited resources, the list goes on and on,) and preys on people with gambling/collectors/min-max'ing addictions, and or poor self/impulse control. There are stories of people spending hundreds to thousands of dollars, sometimes depleting their life savings in pursuit of rare characters. Often without anything to show for it.

Yeah, I won't. The initial mindfuck for me, as chronicled in this thread, was the fact that I pulled a unit out of sheer luck that a dude spent 1500 to try and get and didn't.

I get that that's normal for ya'll at this point, but, you have to understand, 99% of humans on earth would be like holy poo poo at that.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Shark Tower posted:

I made the argument before about the cash store, and I also agree with each of your points. Still, I got lucky on a few 11 pulls and scored Lightning and Luneth. I'm not spending Lapis on pulls anymore, just TM grinding. I probably won't even whale for Orlandu, just cash in any accumulated tickets for the chance.

Skyridge posted:

Well I'm stumped.
Lol

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Threw my free ticket from logging in today at the Dark Fina banner. As expected, got a blue crystal in return. It held a 3* Cecil. I'll take it!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

rabidsquid posted:

even netmarble who are heralded as being pretty good change stuff for global, theres basically nothing forcing gumi to do anything in global just because theyre doing it in japan.

I don't think most people understand how vast the gulf is between Japan and every other mobile market in the world. This is doubly true for FFBE players who play(ed) FFRK since DeNA has changed very, very little in terms of generosity compared to most. We never got the BRA BRA, SoM, SaGa...etc events but there's more to that stuff than "do we care about giving this to global players."

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I don't think most people understand how vast the gulf is between Japan and every other mobile market in the world. This is doubly true for FFBE players who play(ed) FFRK since DeNA has changed very, very little in terms of generosity compared to most. We never got the BRA BRA, SoM, SaGa...etc events but there's more to that stuff than "do we care about giving this to global players."

More importantly, only half or less of the whales - which is to say, gacha games' main demographic - are in the Americas. An equally big chunk of them are in China, Korea, and Singapore. That's why we get things like Moon Festival and Chinese New Year events.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

cosmicprank posted:

Nah, I'm good. This is a fun timewaster but I'm not paying money to, as you said, look cooler than other goons and stuff; I think my team is more than capable of beating the game. The dude who was like I get EXTREMELY JEALOUS over other people's characters, I'm not trying to get there, got enough problems.

There is a middle ground. When I decided this game was a keeper for me, I think I spent like $30 or so on summons, got a team I was happy about, and since then I havent seen a need to spend any more money. (it helps that I also got absurdly lucky on daily summons using lapis I earned in the game. My Lightning and my Noctis both came on 250 lapis summons). Once I macro out these stupid TM's waiting for me, I'll be set. I wont have a crazy-rear end team like the megawhales, but if I can work my way up to completing all the weekly events at elite difficulty as they come out, I'll be happy.

Of course, every cell phone game also has the proud, strictly FTP players. Earning their own pile of game-awarded gems (in the case of this game, lapis) to build up over the course of a year a free well-equipped team that can kick a newbie whale's rear end. I don't have the patience to do that, but I definitely admire those guys.

For a FTP player, this game is very generous with the in-game currency, they hand out lapis to newer players from scenario clears and daily quests like its cheap candy which you can then use to do an 11-pull on a banner once or twice a month for free. That helps to mitigate the painfully bad summon rates. Just make sure you always log in and do your daily quests, its free lapis and free energy, which are precious things for FTP players.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 9, 2017

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

Might as well wait to reroll for her.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Rigel posted:

For a FTP player, this game is very generous with the in-game currency, they hand out lapis to newer players from scenario clears and daily quests like its cheap candy which you can then use to do an 11-pull on a banner once or twice a month for free. That helps to mitigate the painfully bad summon rates. Just make sure you always log in and do your daily quests, its free lapis and free energy, which are precious things for FTP players.

It's not the most generous with its premium currency (I find FFRK beats it out there, though FFRK's lack of narrative and real-time gameplay understandably turn off a lot of people), and it makes up for that generosity by being downright cruel in other ways.

No other game I know of has emulator grinding macros as a F2P optimization technique. Trust Masteries are a really dumb and bad system.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

KataraniSword posted:

Wasn't the growing rate ups actually a way to remove early lucky draws from the equation? Like, I remember numbers that suggested a 10x rate up under the new system was equal or less than the unmarked "rate ups" before that system was implemented, meaning you effectively got nine rolls at nerfed rates compared to before.

And that's not even getting into the mess that was the Frosty Gate...

For those of you who never played BF, imagine if Orlandu's banner came out... but in order to pull on it once, you had to do 10 pulls on the unmodified rare summon banner. Each time you wanted to pull on it. That was the Frosty Gate.

I think both existed at the same time. I forget if they ran both together at any point though. They did one gate that gave you the specified unit on the 40th pull though. Which I'd take in a loving heartbeat for FFBE, especially Orlandu.

Cartoon Man posted:

It was mentioned previously, but the jealously of seeing other players on your friend list with maxed out stats plays heavily into having TM's included in the game. Take a look at the best whale we have on our forums (I think):

I think the best on my list is a non-goon (Blazed). They're an 856atk, 438mag Noctis with Diablos. Excal/sakura/black hood/brave suit/bracer/genji glove/ blade mastery/eal of destruction x2/power of creation. :iia:
Added them via facebook stuff, no idea what their FB name is though. I'm sure they aren't 2P given the sheer volumne of 5* units and TMs they use.

Hardbody's the only person I've seen with higher attack, but only by 1 point and Noctis >>>> Gilgamesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Skyridge posted:

Well I'm stumped.

What the... I can't even :psyduck:

• Locked thread