Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Really strange timing. Have to think they've got something in the works for Chip Kelly or at least think they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Dykes has not been even close to good enough to justify what a pain in the rear end he's been and yeah Kelly seems like the obvious target.

Taggart should do really well there but I do kinda feel bad for Oregon fans. That'll be really awkward and Kelly probably would have gone back if the Niners had fired him earlier

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 8, 2017

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

Dykes has not been even close to good enough to justify what a pain in the rear end he's been and yeah Kelly seems like the obvious target.

Taggart should do really well there but I do kinda feel bad for Oregon fans. That'll be really awkward and Kelly probably would have gone back if the Niners had fired him earlier

Not at all good enough, but to fire him after the new year is really strange unless they already have an upgrade in mind.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Also, Sonny, I know an open OC job! #bringtheairraidhome

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

Also, Sonny, I know an open OC job! #bringtheairraidhome

Nah, Sonny's gonna come OC at Tech. You can have Jake Spavital.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dykes and Cal never liked each other from day 1 so I assume one of them did something that was the final straw

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Dykes and Cal never liked each other from day 1 so I assume one of them did something that was the final straw

Yeah this was one of the stranger coach/school relationships in quite a while.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

kayakyakr posted:

Really strange timing. Have to think they've got something in the works for Chip Kelly or at least think they do.

gently caress that, he needs to go the the big 12 or some other conference that USC never plays against

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

But they beat Texas and Texas was "back" after beating Norte Dame.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
He had to have pissed in someones flakes real hard for them to eat 70% of his contract

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

whoops

https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/818204758091726848

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
he must have not used a coaster or something and suddenly they're yelling gently caress YOU YOU'RE FIRED/NO YOU CANT FIRE ME I QUIT

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Yeah that must've been a sudden escalation in the last day for them to do this, makes no sense.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Cal has acquired a time machine and is hiring Major Applewhite

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I know there is no evidence, but I feel like we are gonna get some horrfying report in the nextvfew days.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If my coach won 5 games every year and was still constantly whining and trying to find a new job I'd fire him just on principal

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

swickles posted:

I know there is no evidence, but I feel like we are gonna get some horrfying report in the nextvfew days.

Or self-reporting to the NCAA

Or he just got in another pissing match with the AD

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Pretty sure he just got in a pissing match. There's no mention of with cause or anything, they just decided to take on his contract (70% of 5.88 million) and make the move now. Dunno who they're gonna target. Jake Spavital is their interim, but I guess that just means that he's going to be recruiting for the last week or two of his tenure with them?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MourningView posted:

If my coach won 5 games every year and was still constantly whining and trying to find a new job I'd fire him just on principal

Well yes...but, you do that in November or December.

kayakyakr posted:

Pretty sure he just got in a pissing match.

This makes the most sense unless Cal seriously has an in on Chip. Or both.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

swickles posted:

Yeah, the report is that Dykes and Cal loath each other

This isn't new news

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I know it isn't new, but coaches who don't get fired mid-season or immediately afterwards tend to come with some unsavory details, especially the last couple.

tupacalypse
Jan 1, 2013

by Pragmatica
It's almost like yall want some bad poo poo to come up when someone gets fired

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

swickles posted:

He does, but you inevitably get the douche vs. evil arguments which is why I lean towards Claeys. He didn't actually commit a crime, but decided to cape up for the players.

Cape Life

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Korranus posted:

:stare: That's awful. Like Josh Nesbitt "hired because my name came up on a Google search" awful.

Maybe Applewhite's pulling a con job on Fertitta and UH here. Hire cheap crap coaches, go 4-8 or something in 2017, let Fertitta and UH fans go thermonuclear and fire him...and walk back to Tom Herman at Texas with $7.5 million in his pocket.

Same, what an awful hire. It was cool having a competent defense for a few years though.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

what counts as "for cause" when firing a coach and why isn't "did not win enough football games" (poor performance) a cause?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

what counts as "for cause" when firing a coach and why isn't "did not win enough football games" (poor performance) a cause?

It depends on whats in the contract. Wins and losses are only in the contracts as far as bonuses and such go. No coach is going to sign an agreement that lets him get fired for losing games, especially when there are multiple games a year decided by bad calls, injuries to players, and a whole host of unpredictable things. For cause typically refers to things that any professor or university staff would get fired for, such as physical/emotional abuse of students, failing to adhere to a variety of policies including reporting of crimes etc.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Presumably something like this would count https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yngq9NmOnFw

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

swickles posted:

I know it isn't new, but coaches who don't get fired mid-season or immediately afterwards tend to come with some unsavory details, especially the last couple.

He's not a very good coach and has spent his entire tenure fighting with his bosses, openly tying to get a new job, and generally being a pain in the rear end. It was probably that, coupled with one of the best college coaches of the last decade suddenly being on the market. I don't get why you want it to be more than that so badly

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

MourningView posted:

He's not a very good coach and has spent his entire tenure fighting with his bosses, openly tying to get a new job, and generally being a pain in the rear end. It was probably that. I don't get why you want it to be more than that so badly

When did I say I wanted it to? I just said that the timing is odd (which everyone seems to agree with) and that oddly timed firings tend to carry something untoward with them (again, while not backed with a statistical analysis, has some common sense and recent history behind it). The thing that could come out could be as benign as the AD and coach arguing over was first in line to get lunch. I would rather it be that, but given the recent overall landscape of the sleaziness of college athletics, I wouldn't be surprised if something else came out. Also why do you want me to want it so much?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Lots of media guys saying that Wisconsin DC Justin Wilcox is one of the top contenders for the Cal HC vacancy.

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

Pakled posted:

Lots of media guys saying that Wisconsin DC Justin Wilcox is one of the top contenders for the Cal HC vacancy.

Rumors are him and Cal OC/interim coach Jake Spavital. Chip Kelly is probably too expensive for Cal, they don't have much money to spend plus they have to pay Dykes' buyout.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Is Cal a good job? Obviously a good recruiting state and it's the best public school in America and all, but do they have big support for their football program? I think of Cal as more of a tier 2 job and I figure Chip would hold out and see what tier 1 jobs are available next season.

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

an adult beverage posted:

Is Cal a good job? Obviously a good recruiting state and it's the best public school in America and all, but do they have big support for their football program? I think of Cal as more of a tier 2 job and I figure Chip would hold out and see what tier 1 jobs are available next season.

High academic standards make recruiting difficult and Cal's athletic department is $20 million in the hole.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

CrumFUNist! posted:

High academic standards make recruiting difficult and Cal's athletic department is $20 million in the hole.

$20 million year over year deficit. They're really somewhere over $400 million in the hole.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

So this guy is livetweeting a coaching conference

https://twitter.com/zach_barnett/status/818262139194474496

:stare:

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Cal has acquired a time machine and is hiring Major Applewhite

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Some Des Moines media are reporting that Brian Ferentz will be officially announced as Iowa's OC sometime next week. I don't know if it's a genuine scoop or if they're guessing but they're probably right either way. He's definitely not my dream candidate but I think he's a good coach and they could do a lot worse. He's a much better fit for the program than Davis was and he's the one guy who might be able to stand up to Kirk and get him out of his comfort zone a little bit.

That leaves an opening for a QB coach. The name most people have mentioned is David Raih, a former backup QB and grad assistant who works for the Packers as an assistant o line coach. There's also some talk here and there about brining former OC/QB coach Ken O'Keefe back, which would make sense but feels like a long shot. I assume Brian will continue as OL coach (that's one area where they can definitely afford someone splitting duties since Kirk is so involved anyway), but if they do want to hire someone else for that, bringing AJ Blazek back from Rutgers would make sense.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Thermos H Christ posted:

lol remember how we hired Tim Beck, the second coming of Greg Davis? Objectively successful when given a roster stocked with top-tier recruits, universally reviled by the fans who have to watch his offenses. I guess that's not super surprising since at the end of the day Tom Herman is from the Greg Davis coaching tree.

I'm really worried about having Beck as our OC. I hope he ends up being better than expected.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I wish we'd kept Sterlin Gilbert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
There were similar feelings by Georgia fans when Kirby came aboard and the fans wanted Pruitt retained as DC. Didn't happen, but part of the change is buying into to someone else's system. At the end of the day you just have to trust Herman's judgement regardless of it seems wrong right now. If Beck is a bad call it'll come back to bite him and he'll change or he'll fall on his sword.

• Locked thread