Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

feelings on Aliens: Colonial Marines being canon?

:barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Just DON'T do it!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

comparing michael biehn's performance in A:CM and Farcry Blood Dragon is the funnest

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

alf_pogs posted:

It was a great game.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Lol, Ben spent $10k of other peoples money on boxes of Wing Commander junk that even he, the world's biggest Wing Commander fan (in every way... Ben fat) can't muster up the enthusiasm to dig through. Think about that.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

alf_pogs posted:

comparing michael biehn's performance in A:CM and Farcry Blood Dragon is the funnest

Far cry blood dragon is one of the greatest games in history.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Samizdata posted:

Yeah, no. No one made him cadge thousands of dollars from fools for something he quite apparently has no intention to do. Besides, he's a Citizen. He'll probably ignore me just like the Citizenry ignore reality.

EDIT: You know, if you don't want people criticizing you, then don't get on a public forum soliciting money for a project, then go back on that public forum AFTER getting the money, talking about neat new stuff you own and ways you waste time while NOT showing any activity on the project you got the money for. He did this, not me.

How much did you donate to Ben for commando?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

alf_pogs posted:

I never played it. Heck I never finished Isolation, which is something I really should do one day.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Xaerael posted:

I never played it. Heck I never finished Isolation, which is something I really should do one day.

why bother when star marine is here

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

alf_pogs posted:

There's a one page comic back in the 90s where the Space Jockey is actually from an alien species with long noses.
And they haul alien eggs as they are FOOD for the Space Jockey's, the last frame is one pan frying a face hugger with a spatula.

THATS more canon than Colonial Marines.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 9, 2017

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Samizdata posted:

Also called Ben an outright scammer on Twitter, as per WC:A. If no response tomorrow, I am going to address Alexis, by suggesting as a spouse it is her job to help her husband not engage in criminal activity.

I wouldn't do that friend. Just leave it as it is now.

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016

Xaerael posted:

3rd movie is a joint second in my opinion, but ONLY the director's cut, which makes a ton more sense and flows way better in it's unfucked by the studio form. The only bad 'un imo is resurrection, which is bullshit awful, and what happens when you get a a director who's normal theme is quirky-weird.

Also, I swear this thread rotates to Alien franchise chat every six months.

Alien 3 assembly cut is excellent.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Random comment on a totally unrelated article

http://wccftech.com/10-new-mass-effect-andromeda-screenshots/

Who are these people that just go from website to website shilling for Crobberts?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Samizdata posted:

Also called Ben an outright scammer on Twitter, as per WC:A. If no response tomorrow, I am going to address Alexis, by suggesting as a spouse it is her job to help her husband not engage in criminal activity.

I just like to laugh at dumb people in this thread, I even like it when they come here and defend being dumb.

You're being dumb and yet I feel uncomfortable, I'm confused by this and hope you'll be funny dumb in future and not stupid dumb.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I forgot to catch up with SC because a man caught a football with his butt and that's basically all I can think about atm

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Don't touch the poop, don't sniff or eat the poop, certainly don't smear the poop all over the walls of twitter, don't doxx the poop or talk to the poop.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

Look, even Hicks can make a mistake.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sandweed posted:

How much did you donate to Ben for commando?

None. I just feel the general indignation that any half-way sane person feels towards this shitstorm of scamming and incompetency.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Xaerael posted:

Eh, there was reasoning why the Prometheus was "posher" than the Nostro. The Nostro was literally a space lorry cargo-hauler. It's crew were mainly grease monkeys and a science officer. The Prometheus was a high tech science vessel paid for by literally the richest man alive.

Posting from the past to point out that Prometheus was set 28 years prior to alien and that even within alien canon most of the stuff doesn't look anywhere near as slick as the Prometheus. It really is incongruous and there was a theory that perhaps it's due to some kind of massive wide-scale technological setback, but the timing doesn't really support that because it would mean within 28 years we lost things like flatscreen monitors but still managed to bounce back enough to be doing spacefaring stuff that we hadn't previously achieved.

The look of Prometheus is rad and cool, but definitely doesn't jive with the universe it was set in.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

That's not a "cut scene" you retarded dimwit.

All these people say it is:

http://culturedvultures.com/elite-dangerous-players-finally-found-thargoids-games-aliens/

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...about?p=4975809

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/5maif2/sdc_thargoid_attack/

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Sappo569 posted:

Who are these people that just go from website to website shilling for Crobberts?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

You know if you give Frontier $8k you'll probably feel better about them putting Thargoids in the game.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

alf_pogs posted:

Technically speaking, A:CM ties up some loose ends that the movies either failed to do or were done in a way that felt lovely and lame. However, it also ties those loose ends up in a way that feels lovely and lame. Most of that is due to the VA work and lovely plotline though - the major story elements of a second WY team boarding the Sulaco and waking up Hicks aren't completely ridiculous except for the point that Conestoga class light assault ships rely on the ships automatic crisis management system to deploy pods to the emergency escape vehicles when the captain isn't available to give the order, so even if you ignore parts of Alien 3 like the writers of A:CM want you to Hicks still should have been ejected along with Ripley, Newt, and the remains of Bishop.

Being as we know Hicks is alive in Blomkamp's movie because of the concept art, the story in Colonial Marines is probably going to be half true - something about how he didn't die in the ejection because *waves hands furiously* and everyone will just accept it because we like space marines.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ComfyPants posted:

I remember the first time I played System Shock 2, and though in hindsight there were clues that something wasn't right with the conversations with Dr. Polito, when the big reveal was made, it was bar none the creepiest and coolest thing my 18-year-old self had ever experienced in a video game up to that point, and it heightened what was already an engaging and thrilling game experience.

Oh no wait, it was just a fancy cutscene, never mind.

:same: +5 years

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Samizdata posted:

None. I just feel the general indignation that any half-way sane person feels towards this shitstorm of scamming and incompetency.

If he spent the money on the expense which he made the gofundme for, it is really a scam? He said he would get the first box archived in two months, and he hasn't even reached that deadline yet (from the date of the archive acquisition). I think you are starting this crusade a little early.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

MoMA: These people all say it's a cutscene

Guy from first link: "pseudo-cutscene"

MoMA: *buys more jpegs*

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

A lot of people say that Star Citizen is an alpha.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

nawledgelambo posted:

she's just some dumb broad that uses her semi-good looks for viewership. Just go to the stream and listen to her try and play DnD. Granted, I have no loving clue how to play it, but if you're going to stream it, it might behoove you to know the rules

most of those viewers are viewbots anyways, rapeasaurus has been guilty of it before

:reddit:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Samizdata posted:

That might be the reason why he's not giving you information though goonbro, maybe he did email everyone who paid for the boxes and only they know the plans for them.

I think benefit of the doubt is sometimes prudent, unless in the meantime a genuine person who actually paid money to fund his endeavour comes out of the woodwork to complain about it. :)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sabreseven posted:

That might be the reason why he's not giving you information though goonbro, maybe he did email everyone who paid for the boxes and only they know the plans for them.

I think benefit of the doubt is sometimes prudent, unless in the meantime a genuine person who actually paid money to fund his endeavour comes out of the woodwork to complain about it. :)

Then all he has to do is say "I emailed all the backers with a status report."

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Samizdata posted:

Then all he has to do is say "I emailed all the backers with a status report."

He said that to the other goon that was poking him and gave him instructions on how to get the missing information. They know your just a spaz and are just not dignifying your tweets with a response.

Lesnicks': 1

Samizdata: 0

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Thoatse posted:

He said that to the other goon that was poking him and gave him instructions on how to get the missing information. They know your just a spaz and are just not dignifying your tweets with a response.

Lesnicks': 1

Samizdata: 0

Well, a fair bit of people seem to be noticing this, so, I suppose my goal is becoming complete.

Also, MODS! He said I was a spaz! HE'S DOXXING ME!

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I'm pretty sure that further interactions with the Thargoid ship will come through completing community goals to either develop a translation device or a module that will allow players to use the wake portals that the Thargoid ships open up. Someone tried flying through one of their portals but was pushed out. I wouldn't be surprised if all of the coded functionality for interaction with the ships/portals are already present in the game but the players currently don't have access to the ship modules necessary to initiate it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Beet Wagon posted:

Posting from the past to point out that Prometheus was set 28 years prior to alien and that even within alien canon most of the stuff doesn't look anywhere near as slick as the Prometheus. It really is incongruous and there was a theory that perhaps it's due to some kind of massive wide-scale technological setback, but the timing doesn't really support that because it would mean within 28 years we lost things like flatscreen monitors but still managed to bounce back enough to be doing spacefaring stuff that we hadn't previously achieved.

The look of Prometheus is rad and cool, but definitely doesn't jive with the universe it was set in.
In terms of technical backsliding that's 8 years slower than Star Wars' far more drastic decline from whole-room holographic displays to dot matrix screens.

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Technically speaking, A:CM ties up some loose ends that the movies either failed to do or were done in a way that felt lovely and lame. However, it also ties those loose ends up in a way that feels lovely and lame. Most of that is due to the VA work and lovely plotline though - the major story elements of a second WY team boarding the Sulaco and waking up Hicks aren't completely ridiculous except for the point that Conestoga class light assault ships rely on the ships automatic crisis management system to deploy pods to the emergency escape vehicles when the captain isn't available to give the order, so even if you ignore parts of Alien 3 like the writers of A:CM want you to Hicks still should have been ejected along with Ripley, Newt, and the remains of Bishop.

Being as we know Hicks is alive in Blomkamp's movie because of the concept art, the story in Colonial Marines is probably going to be half true - something about how he didn't die in the ejection because *waves hands furiously* and everyone will just accept it because we like space marines.

Blomkamp said he's retconning Alien 3 as in, Alien 3 never happened.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Lord Kinbote posted:

if only the same could be said for Chappy

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

alf_pogs posted:

if only the same could be said for Chappy

WAT R YUUU DOIN IN POPPA'S CAR EHHH

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Sarsapariller posted:

Citizens, if any of you still casually read this thread, this is a message for you: this isn't normal. Reputable companies with giant established fan bases do not float their big exclusive hype-generating articles to 5 day old SEO sites whose other articles are plagiarised from actual news organizations. This is naked, open contempt for your gullibility. This is Star Citizen actually transitioning from game to scam. Get out get out get out.

:agreed:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Raskolnikov posted:

I was pissed I saw Prometheus in the theaters. I loved the Red Letter Media review of it however :haw:

goddamit, now I have to rewatch it. Someone should deffo do this sort of thing, once SC or SQ42 are proclaimed as 'done' by CIG...if it ever happens.

I remember a comment that will probably apply to Star Citizen lore all too well too in the end. "A film is stronger, if there are unanswered questions for the audience to figure out themselves. Of course this does not work, if the main question the audience asks is "What the gently caress!?'"

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Ghostlight posted:

In terms of technical backsliding that's 8 years slower than Star Wars' far more drastic decline from whole-room holographic displays to dot matrix screens.

True, the Star Wars prequels didn't even loving try to look like they were in the same universe haha.

Lord Kinbote posted:

Ah, well there you go. I haven't kept up on it because I'm not generally a fan of his movies. if Alien 3 is out then I'd guess A:CM is out too - nobody wants to be associated with that game haha.

e: dogges for the dogge god

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 9, 2017