Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

DelphiAegis posted:

Yeah, I picked up the Drain Lance 3 from him, with the Ultima Blade and Super auto crossbow quests still "pending" and he tells me to gently caress off.

I should plant some more carrots, see if I can get another machinery, then see if the new quest kicks his wrinkly loving rear end into gear.

Every piece is a different amount of hunts. Ultima blade is like 4 or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Saint Freak posted:

Every piece is a different amount of hunts. Ultima blade is like 4 or something.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Just spam some easy low level hunts. They don't have to be new hunts.

I like Luna in the movie, I've been dawdling in the game so haven't really seen her yet but from everything I've read I'm sad she doesn't have as much airtime. It also bugs the poo poo out of me that they couldn't bother to pay Sean Bean and Lena Headey to do the voices in the game.

Yeah, I thought everything involving the Kingsglaive was incredibly dumb, but I really liked Regis and Luna. Regis wrestling with his bad conscience for having "abandoned" Luna really endeared me to him, in large part due to Sean Bean's performance. And Luna's do-or-die attitude was pretty great. She tried her darnest to get poo poo done!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The train thing is pretty bad and I think I'd prefer it be Noctis auto driving the Regalia through the eastern continent and you can't get out because of reasons (Say, Prompto and Gladio don't want to put Ignis through more fights or drama than necessary) and just have the ride fade out after all the dialogue is done and come back when you're near your destination. Because after X amount of time in the game, I have infinitely more attachment to my car than I do a silly old train.

The train part is so far the only part I really liked. It finally felt like a FF game, and the jumping between ships exploding them was pretty neat. I was starting to worry that there wouldn't be a train part in this FF and was going to be super disappointed. Leviathan has to be the low point of the game for me so far. Its such a loving stupid fight. I'm up to the end of chapter 13 I think.

A lot of the things that seem like they're supposed to have emotional impact just don't. Luna dying, Noctis' dad dying, that other dude they make a big deal about, joshua? Ignis going blind, Noctis taking on becoming King. Its like the game is missing its first chapter where you spend time actually giving a gently caress about these people.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 8, 2017

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Chapter 13 spoilers: JUST CLIMB OVER THE CRATES! JUST loving CLIMB OVER THEM NOCTIS YOU poo poo, PROMPTO IS LITERALLY RIGHT THERE

Edit: Oh, there's a small contextual button prompt. Lovely.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man the camera in this game is so loving bad I'm actually surprised more people aren't bitching about it

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Hahaha that quest where Jared dies off camera, engaging the empire, changes the music in EVERY settlement to this sad morose violin piece like not even was Aeris's death this mourned

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Calaveron posted:

Man the camera in this game is so loving bad I'm actually surprised more people aren't bitching about it

You can alleviate some of the problems by changing the camera distance to be longer. Im guessing most people don't mind the camera since the game is so easy and there are flashing icons when you're supposed to block.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

A lot of the things that seem like they're supposed to have emotional impact just don't. Luna dying, Noctis' dad dying, that other dude they make a big deal about, joshua? Ignis going blind, Noctis taking on becoming King. Its like the game is missing its first chapter where you spend time actually giving a gently caress about these people.

That first chapter is called Brotherhood and Kingsglaive. It's too bad it's not in the game but I'm glad I watched them before playing, and Brotherhood is free at least. I have no clue what's up with Jared, though. That part is just inexplicable :lol:

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 8, 2017

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!
For anyone who can't for the life of them land the regalia f without dying in a fire, make sure the camera is pulled out as far as possible. I didn't even know you could change it while flying until hitting L1 by accident. It's taken me from 100% certainty of fiery death to a 50/50 chance of a safe landing, if I'm careful.

What a terribly implemented mechanic.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Renoistic posted:

That first chapter is called Brotherhood and Kingsglaive. It's too bad it's not in the game but I'm glad I watched them before playing, and Brotherhood is free at least. I have no clue what's up with Jared, though. That part is just inexplicable :lol:

I think he's the royal butler or something?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Brass Key posted:

For anyone who can't for the life of them land the regalia f without dying in a fire, make sure the camera is pulled out as far as possible. I didn't even know you could change it while flying until hitting L1 by accident. It's taken me from 100% certainty of fiery death to a 50/50 chance of a safe landing, if I'm careful.

What a terribly implemented mechanic.

I agree with you but I can't hate it. Like many other things, it's just inexplicable why they would implement it that way when there's never been any risk involved in driving the car before. It's endearingly awful I guess? I've lost a total of around an hour of progress because of the Type F, but I still can't resist laughing whenever the car hits some grass or bushes and promplty explodes.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I was referring to how the game expects me to care so much about Jared dying that they actually bring him up in the final chapter of the game. They don't even bring up Luna in the final chapter except for the ending.. It's crazy.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Jared is the butler/retainer of Gladious' family and helped to raise Gladious and Iris growing up.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

exploded mummy posted:

Jared is the butler/retainer of Gladious' family and helped to raise Gladious and Iris growing up.

Sure woulda been nice if the game mentioned that at all instead of just saying his name three times before he died and expecting is to care

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
A lot of the plot, outside of the very beginning and end, feels like they had a bunch of set pieces* that were at least partially constructed before the plot or overall gameplay structure were fully laid out, and they ended up having to try force them all together really awkwardly with flimsy justifications. Sort of like 13 was with its pre-rendered cutscenes.

*Leviathan, the Metal Gear bases, the train sequences, etc. Leviathan in particular comes across as a remnant of the Kingdom Hearts-esque style of game we saw a few years ago.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Calaveron posted:

Sure woulda been nice if the game mentioned that at all instead of just saying his name three times before he died and expecting is to care

They tell you this, no joke, 20 hours later in Chapter 14.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Paracelsus posted:

A lot of the plot, outside of the very beginning and end, feels like they had a bunch of set pieces* that were at least partially constructed before the plot or overall gameplay structure were fully laid out, and they ended up having to try force them all together really awkwardly with flimsy justifications. Sort of like 13 was with its pre-rendered cutscenes.

*Leviathan, the Metal Gear bases, the train sequences, etc. Leviathan in particular comes across as a remnant of the Kingdom Hearts-esque style of game we saw a few years ago.

Aside from the plot stuff, I'm pretty sad they had to cut most the set piece during the Leviathan fight, where you would jump from house to house while fighting ATs and avoiding Leviathan's attacks. From what I've heard they couldn't get it to run properly on console and were forced to scale it down.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Renoistic posted:

Aside from the plot stuff, I'm pretty sad they had to cut most the set piece during the Leviathan fight, where you would jump from house to house while fighting ATs and avoiding Leviathan's attacks. From what I've heard they couldn't get it to run properly on console and were forced to scale it down.

that fight is so loving weird. before the fight they say that my main strategy should be keeping the empire from hurting leviathan, then I kill leviathan because when i kill things its better

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

that fight is so loving weird. before the fight they say that my main strategy should be keeping the empire from hurting leviathan, then I kill leviathan because when i kill things its better

I just took it as a callback to earlier games when you had to fight your summons before they'd join you. Of course, in those games you didn't explicitly slice their bellies open. :v: Anyway I think they were supposed to keep Leviathan alive until Noctis was granted its power. Also I had no idea Titan was supposed to be dead before the game told me they'd killed three of the Astrals. It's really unclear but I'm guessing they were talking about Titan, Leviathan and Shiva?

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Renoistic posted:

There's on part where you fight some guards and get tossed into another area...I said out loud "ok, I guess we are going to have some Assassin's Creed poo poo here" then you jump and end up not doing any of that...

The game is fun how MSGV was fun, and it scratches an itch like that game also did. However, both have gaping holes in the plot, and really poor endings activities with the pretense of "there's more in the postgame!" So much so it turns into full blown eczema. There is no cortisone cream strong enough to clear it up either.

I haven't tried to go to Altissa again yet, but I have a feeling I will be strongly disappointed. I thought it was funny that they made a big deal about the Regalia being on the boat and then there is no driving until the train gets stopped and you immediately wreck it.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
For those of you having issues with Cid he only seems to call me after I sleep. I did like 5 of that first hunt he never called me. I then slept in that trailer in Hammerhead and he called me.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
What the gently caress was that bullshit in that base with catching that imperial guy and Ignis being all lol never mind he ran away off camera

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

JetsGuy posted:

For those of you having issues with Cid he only seems to call me after I sleep. I did like 5 of that first hunt he never called me. I then slept in that trailer in Hammerhead and he called me.

This is what has been said like 4 times in the last page. Do x quests or hunts (1<=x<=5) then sleep. Maybe put it in the op so people stop bringing it up? they wont

For some people it seems to be actually breaking though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Calaveron posted:

What the gently caress was that bullshit in that base with catching that imperial guy and Ignis being all lol never mind he ran away off camera

That imperial guy was originally supposed to be a different character who was a Sephiroth reference, but that character was cut and I guess they had the base sequence already done and just slapped it in there somehow.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I lost all desire to play this game after I beat it. I think it's because there's no legit challenge to the combat. Even the boss fights are just warp strike events with some QTEs thrown in for cinematic effect. Anything post game is curatives bound. Time to trade it towards Nier 2 :)

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Kalenn Istarion posted:

This is what has been said like 4 times in the last page. Do x quests or hunts (1<=x<=5) then sleep. Maybe put it in the op so people stop bringing it up? they wont

For some people it seems to be actually breaking though.

Yes, I turned in the quest to get the drain lance, and trying to talk to him again to start any other quest he grunts and asks me if I'm standing up straight. poo poo is broken, I'm planting Caem carrots, gently caress all y'all.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Calaveron posted:

If you stop at a rest-stop after that you can hear people say that you hurt the officer so bad you put him in the hospital? So he was simultaneously released, captured, and in the hospital apparently.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

DelphiAegis posted:

Yes, I turned in the quest to get the drain lance, and trying to talk to him again to start any other quest he grunts and asks me if I'm standing up straight. poo poo is broken, I'm planting Caem carrots, gently caress all y'all.

If you don't have any new upgradeable weapons he just grunts. He only reacts when you a) find a new upgradeable weapon b) find a new part and drop it off and c) after he calls you to come pick up the upgraded weapon.

Did you check your quest log to see if you have an upgrade quest for each of the upgradeable weapons that you own that aren't maxed?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

DelphiAegis posted:

When you gave him the drain lance did you give him other weapons? Cause you're stuck until you get those back, which is a different amount of hunts than it took to get the drain lance. You can't give him more until you get all your weapons back.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Renoistic posted:

Kingsglaive is worth watching just for Sean Bean's performance which is pretty great. Also it has Luna in a coat. And she's in it for more than five minutes! And quite alot of fanservice-y references to past games.

Luna is stylish as f. This better be one of her costumes if she becomes a playable char in the final dlc.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DelphiAegis posted:

Once you turn in a weapon for him to upgrade you can't give him another one until the previous upgrade is completed.

Like everyone else has been saying, do a few quests or something and then sleep.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dms58hFsz74

You can see from this glitched video in Niflheim, that there's plenty they intended for you to explore, and the Train was basically there way of pasting over content that likely needed 6 months to a year to finish up. Shame, because it looks beautiful.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So I must be doing something wrong in the adamantoise fight. Because my allies are literally just standing next me as I'm hacking his front foot and they're doing nothing.

Yay pushing circle for the next 4 hours.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

JetsGuy posted:

So I must be doing something wrong in the adamantoise fight. Because my allies are literally just standing next me as I'm hacking his front foot and they're doing nothing.

Your allies are going to be useless in that battle unless you're using Overwhelm. Addy's hitboxes are just too big, the battle engine doesn't know how to deal with them.

Warp Strike his eye, use Overwhelm on his feet, and don't be shy with Armiger.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

JetsGuy posted:

Yay pushing circle for the next 4 hours.

Eat for 100% crit, wear all STR boosting gear, use armiger on one of his front fins to make him fall over, and then go ham on his head with your best daggers (get the Zwill Crossblades before this hunt). His eye is the most vulnerable spot but it's easier to just stay on the ground and attack his neck area.

When he gets back up go attack his other fin to make him stumble again. Repeat until dead.

Should take 20 minutes if you have the Zwill and eat for the crit food, depending on your level. You won't be able to tell what's going on half the time as the camera freaks the gently caress out. I had to repeatedly press attack instead of hold it down at some points because the targeting is all hosed up too.

I was expecting a kind of fun fight using a bunch of warp strikes and air dancing but that hunt just sucks.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Onmi posted:

The ending was made intentionally vague so the player could come to their own conclusion, says the Ultimania. You can imply that Noctis and Luna as a reward for their services, were reborn and that was their wedding day. It could be them in the afterlife, or a fleeting happy memory as Noctis passes from existence.

I came to the conclusion the last part of the ending has to be ambiguous on my own, but I did it with the caveat that the ambiguity is a bit cynical and commercial: it leaves Square plenty of room to do whatever they want with more content like a XV-2, if they ever choose to make one.

I once got in trouble interpreting Final Fantasy VII's ending. Specifically, I was fairly sure to so drat sure about my interpretation, then a thing called Advent Children came along and contradicted it entirely.

EDIT: spoilered the quote to be safe.

Onomarchus fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 9, 2017

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Eat for 100% crit, wear all STR boosting gear, use armiger on one of his front fins to make him fall over, and then go ham on his head with your best daggers (get the Zwill Crossblades before this hunt). His eye is the most vulnerable spot but it's easier to just stay on the ground and attack his neck area.

When he gets back up go attack his other fin to make him stumble again. Repeat until dead.

Should take 20 minutes if you have the Zwill and eat for the crit food, depending on your level. You won't be able to tell what's going on half the time as the camera freaks the gently caress out. I had to repeatedly press attack instead of hold it down at some points because the targeting is all hosed up too.

I was expecting a kind of fun fight using a bunch of warp strikes and air dancing. but that hunt just sucks.

I really appreciate it man, but I just finished two hours of mashing circle, using armiger when i could and attacking his face when he was vulnerable. I should have gotten the Zwill first.

Level 70 and it was boring and easy if anyone is wondering. Stock up on potions and elixirs boys.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
This is like a time capsule back when people did the FFX monster hunt bosses and FF12 super boss that literally took hours.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I saved Armiger for attacking the neck. I didn't clock how long it took me, but it was under half an hour. His attacks are more of an annoyance for how they push you around than any real threat.

It honestly felt like I was fighting the game engine more than the turtle, what with the camera getting weird when you're pushed around, Noctis refusing to attack because he's not aligned with the target point right, and getting pulled far away from the leg whenever I had Ignis renew Enhancement.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Tae posted:

This is like a time capsule back when people did the FFX monster hunt bosses and FF12 super boss that literally took hours.

Yizamat though you could literally turn a movie on your same TV and just flip back every 30 minutes to make sure your party leader didn't fall long enough to not get arisen. Like I beat Yiazmat by literally letting my gambits play it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

https://twitter.com/kalennistarion/status/818357039919312896

• Locked thread