Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

w00tmonger posted:

Big multiplayer game for family? Spyfall, codenames

These are good suggestions, but might not work depending on the family, since they both require a degree of creativity. Some people don't do well with fishing for information / creative lying (Spyfall) or verbal gymnastics (Codenames).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Big Coup games are pretty great. We did 7-8 player Coup games for several hours straight at GenCon one year, that was really fun. Games also go really fast.

There's another game that I can't recall the name of. But it's a party game, with a life slider for all people, you start at zero and as the game goes on you lose hit points, and each player has a hidden role with different objectives and hit points. I think there are some normal fantasy monsters, knights, etc. The HP tracker goes in a spiral, I think the max HP is 15. Does anyone know what game I'm talking about?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

It's poo poo, is what it is.

Shadow hunters, but it's so bad.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ShineDog posted:

I done hosed up.

I hadn't noticed earlier that it was a luxury cabin which makes this 200% funnier

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Guy A. Person posted:

I hadn't noticed earlier that it was a luxury cabin which makes this 200% funnier

If they finished first or second, they even turned a profit on that flight!

E: I see four credits hiding off to the right, so as long as they didn't finish fourth then they're a winner.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

silvergoose posted:

It's poo poo, is what it is.

Shadow hunters, but it's so bad.

It is shadow hunters.

I'm pretty sure you all use a completely different scale to tell if a game is bad or not. Am I right in saying that you all really hate random chance?

Every time I've played it we've all had fun.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

OgreNoah posted:

It is shadow hunters.

I'm pretty sure you all use a completely different scale to tell if a game is bad or not. Am I right in saying that you all really hate random chance?

I'll admit, I only played it the once, but I had zero interesting decisions the entire game, and as near as I could tell, no one else did either. Some of them enjoyed it anyway, but that doesn't make it a good game.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've also only played Shadow Hunters a few times, but I remember enjoying it. I think it's way too random to be considered a good design, but our group did have a few interesting choices to make. I was a character who only wins if they die (and everyone else loses), and I played as being on the good faction, successfully drew the bad factions aggro, and then won the game. However, the mechanical aspects of combat (which is most of the game) aren't very well implemented, from my vague recollection. It's a game I personally enjoyed, but I don't think I'd recommend it unless it was cheap.

Edit: It's also themed around Shonen style anime, and not in an ironic or self-aware way. Be prepared to explain large breasted anime women to your players.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Shadow Hunters is basically a slightly improved Bang!, which still doesn't make it a good game. My main issue with Shadow Hunters isn't so much the fact that random chance exists, but what that random chance governs. In Shadow Hunters, it governs learning about other players' roles (among other things), which in a deduction game makes things poo poo. Compare it with something like The Resistance or even BSG, where everyone learns something at the same time (minus the people who already knew). There is no random chance, just an evolving group set of data. The fact that this is compounded by the fact that the green cards, which provide information, can themselves be random to the point of uselessness (oh neat, I know you have...an odd number of HP) doesn't really help matters.

And of course that is just one random thing in the game. You still have a deck of black cards and white cards and combat and whether or not you can even engage in combat and all this other crap that just makes winning feel unsatisfying because it feels like you just got lucky, instead of being smart enough to figure out, yep, that dude's a spy.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GrandpaPants posted:

Shadow Hunters is basically a slightly improved Bang!, which still doesn't make it a good game. My main issue with Shadow Hunters isn't so much the fact that random chance exists, but what that random chance governs. In Shadow Hunters, it governs learning about other players' roles (among other things), which in a deduction game makes things poo poo. Compare it with something like The Resistance or even BSG, where everyone learns something at the same time (minus the people who already knew). There is no random chance, just an evolving group set of data. The fact that this is compounded by the fact that the green cards, which provide information, can themselves be random to the point of uselessness (oh neat, I know you have...an odd number of HP) doesn't really help matters.

And of course that is just one random thing in the game. You still have a deck of black cards and white cards and combat and whether or not you can even engage in combat and all this other crap that just makes winning feel unsatisfying because it feels like you just got lucky, instead of being smart enough to figure out, yep, that dude's a spy.

Yeah, that's a good explanation of it. I think there's a good game that could be made around RPG style combat on a traitor game, but SH is not it.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
What are games with some actual depth that work with player counts of 6 or higher? The only ones that I own are Dominant Species, Keyflower, Steampunk Rally. Two of those only work with 6.

Also I just got notified that Churchill is moving into the shipping phase for GMT 500. Hopefully it's worthy of the praise. I think I placed the order like 2 years ago hoping to get a good 3 player game out of it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I mean. Advanced Civ.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Megasabin posted:

What are games with some actual depth that work with player counts of 6 or higher?

EBag
May 18, 2006

There aren't many heavier strategy games for 6 because deep game + lots of players = loads of downtime. I guess there's stuff like Eclipse as well, or Game of Thrones, but you're looking at 5+ hours.

Played the 4th case of Sherlock Holmes this weekend, this game is great and always makes us feel stupid. We can usually answer most of the questions, we had a pretty good idea about who did it, but just could not find the right clues to confirm anything. We just didn't go far back enough in the papers to find out his brother was the jewel thief . It also doesn't help that we play maybe 1 case every month or two. I think it would be easier if you did them closer together so you remember info between sessions.

Also got in a round of Scoville. It's a nice game, I knew it would be pretty staightforward and it was, maybe a little too simple. I liked it well enough but it wasn't outstanding in any way, we'll see how it holds up after a few more plays. Could do worse for something quick and light though. I'd like to try it with more players.

EBag fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 9, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

OgreNoah posted:

It is shadow hunters.

I have played and enjoyed Shadow Hunters and even still own a copy.

Enjoying a game doesn't make it a good game. If your metric for "this game is good" is "I enjoyed it," then yeah, we rate games differently.

And no, we don't hate random chance, we hate not having any control over our actions and lacking interesting decisions.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Megasabin posted:

What are games with some actual depth that work with player counts of 6 or higher? The only ones that I own are Dominant Species, Keyflower, Steampunk Rally. Two of those only work with 6.
You can always play an open information co-op and make everything a group decision.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
We love good random mechanics. Dominion is fantastic, and is based entirely around shuffling your deck and getting random cards from it. Galaxy Trucker is all sorts of chaotic fun. Anything with simultaneous action selection effectively has a chance element.

What we don't like is things like "pick something to do, then roll a die to see if it was just a total waste of time".

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

EBag posted:

Also got in a round of Scoville. It's a nice game, I knew it would be pretty staightforward and it was, maybe a little too simple. I liked it well enough but it wasn't outstanding in any way, we'll see how it holds up after a few more plays. Could do worse for something quick and light though. I'd like to try it with more players.

I liked it a lot more with 3 than with 5. There's a lot of downtime and it's very difficult to try to figure out what you should do / what will be blocked - but since going for the wrong recipe and getting beaten is often disastrous (you can't just fill two next turn to make up for it, the way you sometimes can in games like Food Chain Magnate), you're encouraged to actually try anyway.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Chiming in late to say that Colt Express is a good and fun light game that your family should enjoy. The awesome 3D board makes everyone have a good first impression, and the gameplay is solid but chaotic. You do have to shoot people a lot, but you could give the hot chick character to the biggest baby, her power is that you can't choose to shoot her if you can hit someone else.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Megasabin posted:

This is a tough player count and one that I've often been looking for games for, particularly ones with some strategic depth. After asking about it earlier in the thread I picked up Railways of the World which we've found to be a very good and reasonably deep 6-player games. Mostly because while there is a decent depth of strategy, the actual choices you can make on your turn are simple and limited - 90% of the time just placing some track or shipping some goods, which has kept the game moving along at a good pace even with our more AP-prone players (in contrast to games like Dominant Species and Eclipse which, while they can play 6 players, are miserable to do so unless you have most of a day free). Maybe it will get slower with more plays as people take more time to consider possible plays/counterplays with greater knowledge of the game, but so far our first three 6-player games have taken only a little over two hours.

Viticulture also plays 6 and is okay with that player count, as does Age of Empires with the expansion.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Thunder Alley plays up to 7 and is engaging at all player counts. Constantly engaging too, as the board state changes with each player action.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Megasabin posted:

Power Grid works well with 6. 7 wonders i guess.

Garvey
Jul 19, 2010
Looking for a game recommendation for my board gaming group! There's 8 of us who regularly play but usually only 4-6 of us at once. We're relatively new to the hobby so while we own a good number of games they're all fairly simple ones i think. Below are the games we own between us and my thoughts on them and how people like them.

Arkham Horror: Perhaps too complicated, we've tried a couple of times and inevitably most of the play time is spend scouring over the manual. I love the style of it so I'm game to try it again though. I know Eldritch is a streamlined version but really want to get to grips with this.

King of New York: I love this and it has gone down well with everyone. Short and straightforward.

Betrayal at the house on the hill : I understand the criticisms this thread raises about it being a random outcome generator, but it's theme is so strong I'm ok with this. It goes down very well with everybody too, if anyone can suggest something similar to this that would be great!

One night ultimate werewolf : Hit and miss with us. Some like it, myself included, others don't really know how to deal with roles like the troublemaker changing what role they are and have concluded the game is "Random". This hasn't stopped anyone playing however so seems to have grown on people!

Luchadore!: This is great, simple and straightforward but short enough to not outstay it's welcome, fun to play between longer games or at the start of a night. Goes down well with everyone.

Quadropolis: one of our favourites, requiring a good amount of planning ahead with a few possible strategies to try!

Kodama: lovely and peaceful, with some planning ahead required. Everyone enjoys this.

Catan: Hit and miss, I personally don't like it, it lasts about 3 times as long as it should I feel. I also don't feel like I'm having an impact on what's happening and it doesn't have a strong enough theme to hold my attention.

Ticket to ride: myself and one member are big fans of this, the others not so much. Not sure why they don't enjoy it but believe they feel about this how I feel about Catan.

Cards against humanity : I'm so sick of this poo poo and despite my complaints the others seem ok with it.

Joking Hazard: it's just CAH with pictures. Again, the others seem to like this. I disagree.

Million Dollars But: it's just CAH but you play a pair of cards. Only played once so haven't seen all the cards dozens of times yet but still....the group likes this kind of game it seems. I don't mind them between more meaty games but they wear out their welcome very quickly. This one at least allows for slightly more creativity.

Exploding Kittens: I don't find it as bad as it's thread seems to although we've only played a couple of times and a game lasts about 3 minutes, seems fine for what it is. Group don't seem to mind this either.

Hen Commandments: My thoughts- Interesting game requiring you to think on your feet and bullshit as much as you can.
Group thoughts -"too hard". One other guy in the group, who owns this game, likes it as well at least.

Boss Monster : I'm happy to play this for the art, and the group all seem to enjoy this, but similar to Catan I often feel that I've no real impact on what is happening. The most I feel can be done in this game is playing the Spell cards, which only really serve to delay the game ending.

Xcom: Some members love, myself included, some dont, finding it stressful. I can't disagree with that criticism, but satisfying when things go well.

Risk: it's risk. Nobody loves this, nobody hates it. Happy to play it but not a frequent one at all.

Waiting on a copy of Space Alert to arrive, very excited to try it! There's a strong showing for "whacky" card games there, but we don't often play them. I'd thought with the group liking those so much that something like Funemployed or Snake Oil would go down well, as they allow the players to be creative, but the negative reaction to Hen Commandments suggests otherwise. We've also looked seriously at Scythe, which everyone seems on board with. How complicated is it? Arkham Horror has made me wary of overly complex games which require more time reading the rules over and over than playing. Also aching to play Mechs vs Minions when it's released!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone actually played Not Alone? It sounds like it's relevant for a bunch of these "games for 6 players" questions that are cropping up right now.
It's an up to 7 players one vs many game without player elimination. It sound okay on paper, but I've never played it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Since Sushi Go! Party got mentioned a few times, I'll repost the scorecard I made for it: http://toshimo.com/share/Sushi.pdf

My board never stays flat enough for the shoyu bottle track to work right, and it's really nice to get everyone's name down at the beginning when playing with strangers at meetups.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Electric Hobo posted:

Has anyone actually played Not Alone? It sounds like it's relevant for a bunch of these "games for 6 players" questions that are cropping up right now.
It's an up to 7 players one vs many game without player elimination. It sound okay on paper, but I've never played it.

Played it, bought it, played it again several times. It's good.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Garvey posted:

Cards against humanity : I'm so sick of this poo poo and despite my complaints the others seem ok with it.

Welcome, friend.

Anyway have you heard of Pandemic? It's a four-player co-op, working to save the world from waves of terrible diseases. Quite difficult, and heaps of expansions (and a great Legacy version) if it gets too easy.

Scythe is great. There's a lot of moving parts, but they're all straightforward, and once people get going every turn tends to go pretty quickly. Five players, can go up to seven with the expansion.

I'd also recommend Kemet. It's a wargame (serious Wargamers might disagree, but it's still a game about wars), five players, like Risk but it encourages aggression and tends to end in a reasonable amount of time. There's an expansion that adds options and improves one of the mechanics a bit, not mandatory but definitely worthwhile.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Garvey posted:

Betrayal at the house on the hill : I understand the criticisms this thread raises about it being a random outcome generator, but it's theme is so strong I'm ok with this. It goes down very well with everybody too, if anyone can suggest something similar to this that would be great!

Ticket to ride: myself and one member are big fans of this, the others not so much. Not sure why they don't enjoy it but believe they feel about this how I feel about Catan.

Joking Hazard: it's just CAH with pictures. Again, the others seem to like this. I disagree.

Exploding Kittens: I don't find it as bad as it's thread seems to although we've only played a couple of times and a game lasts about 3 minutes, seems fine for what it is. Group don't seem to mind this either.

Boss Monster : I'm happy to play this for the art, and the group all seem to enjoy this, but similar to Catan I often feel that I've no real impact on what is happening. The most I feel can be done in this game is playing the Spell cards, which only really serve to delay the game ending.

Risk: it's risk. Nobody loves this, nobody hates it. Happy to play it but not a frequent one at all.

:sever:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

After a December close to devoid of game playing (stupid play group having friends and family) I finally got some stuff on the table last night!

1) 2p game of Food Chain Magnate! That game is crazy fun and I wanted to just play again immediately. Anyone who has been calling it super heavy or complex is a dummy. It's just right. It's also as full of thematic laughs as any game - Sir! The customers from the big garden house are here with the luxury manager! They want to spend 45 each on Pizza and Lemonade, but the chef called in sick and the errand boy is "on the beach" - Just grab them whatever is in the freezer. I literally laughed more at FCM than at my last game of CAH.

Question on that though - are there "Valid" openings other than recruiting girl x2 or guru? I feel like there might be room to hit a first-turn kitchen trainee then a second-turn pricing manager before turning to hiring girls and marketing, because being the only one with a freezer + having the price bonus could make people unable to compete.

2) Patchwork (again). Another friend was really impressed with it, though the qualifier was again "For a 20 minute game."

3) Fury of Dracula! It was well-received by my group of 5. I played Dracula as I had watched the SUSD vid this afternoon and I had a better sense of the rules. We went straight into the advanced game and it was fine. Hunters took the default starting locations, and I began in Lisbon. On turn 6 a card (name two cities) revealed that I had just left Madrid and the chase was on! I got into a brawl with one of the hunters, hosed him up a bit, and then went on the run. I ended up dying in Liverpool, having left some really nasty cards to mature in Ireland, which were one turn from going off.

This game, while not a favourite is a good game. Importantly, it offers literally everything good about games like Arkham Horror, Eldritch Horror, or Talisman while having basically none of the bad. Players who like exploring and finding items had drawing events get that experience, but there's a cooperative element, an actual goal, and actual strategy. I also enjoy how the game is informally divided into game phases, which is odd. Early game is the "dick around sandbox find cards" phase, and then when the trail is found, the chase phase begins. I'd never choose it over FCM, Terra Mystica, 1846, or AFfO, but I'm also not the kind of prick who will sabotage a game that isn't exactly what he wants to play.

4) Deception. Eeh it's ok. We played 3 rounds at the end of the night. Our third round was sabotaged a bit by a player who as the forensic investigator felt that he was enjoying our weird wrong guesses more than he felt he'd enjoy winning, so he didn't replace a clue that had ended up misleading us.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Toshimo posted:

Since Sushi Go! Party got mentioned a few times, I'll repost the scorecard I made for it: http://toshimo.com/share/Sushi.pdf

My board never stays flat enough for the shoyu bottle track to work right, and it's really nice to get everyone's name down at the beginning when playing with strangers at meetups.

You should post that on Boardgamegeek!

Garvey
Jul 19, 2010

Haha I've maybe sounded harsh on them, I enjoy Betrayal as much as they do despite its flaws, and we don't play the bullshit card games very often. No excuses for people not liking Ticket to Ride though!

Krazyface posted:

Welcome, friend.

Anyway have you heard of Pandemic? It's a four-player co-op, working to save the world from waves of terrible diseases. Quite difficult, and heaps of expansions (and a great Legacy version) if it gets too easy.

Scythe is great. There's a lot of moving parts, but they're all straightforward, and once people get going every turn tends to go pretty quickly. Five players, can go up to seven with the expansion.

I'd also recommend Kemet. It's a wargame (serious Wargamers might disagree, but it's still a game about wars), five players, like Risk but it encourages aggression and tends to end in a reasonable amount of time. There's an expansion that adds options and improves one of the mechanics a bit, not mandatory but definitely worthwhile.

I've heard of Pandemic, and the high praise for the Legacy edition! I think I'd prefer the standard edition though, at least at first. I'll investigate Kemet, thanks!

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Garvey posted:

Looking for a game recommendation for my board gaming group! There's 8 of us who regularly play but usually only 4-6 of us at once. We're relatively new to the hobby so while we own a good number of games they're all fairly simple ones i think. Below are the games we own between us and my thoughts on them and how people like them.

Arkham Horror: Perhaps too complicated, we've tried a couple of times and inevitably most of the play time is spend scouring over the manual. I love the style of it so I'm game to try it again though. I know Eldritch is a streamlined version but really want to get to grips with this.

Catan: Hit and miss, I personally don't like it, it lasts about 3 times as long as it should I feel. I also don't feel like I'm having an impact on what's happening and it doesn't have a strong enough theme to hold my attention.

Eldritch really is much better. It is a hell of a lot more simple and strips out things like the monster track and terror track. It still has the same feel as Arkham but without the chaff poo poo nobody liked. GOOs are custom tailored instead of being more or less similar to each other. I enjoyed AH when I played it, (Probably for the same reasons you do) but Eldritch has won out easily for me.

I have always considered both Archipelago and Terra Mystica to be superior versions of Catan. Archipelago if you like more player interaction, TM if you want a heavier, skill based resource management game. In both cases, there are no dice based resources.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Yeah I'm stuck on this one. I feel like I could only recommend something they like if it's something I hate.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Quick public service announcement since there seems to be people new to the thread/boardgaming showing up.

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

Garvey posted:

I've heard of Pandemic, and the high praise for the Legacy edition! I think I'd prefer the standard edition though, at least at first. I'll investigate Kemet, thanks!
You can play Pandemic Legacy as standard Pandemic a few times before starting the legacy campaign, in order to become familiar with the basic mechanics and strategy.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Finally got to play One Night Ultimate Werewolf and I have to say, it really clicked with me and my group. I've finally figured out how to play these social defection games. I know many people who would claim this game in particular as random when first playing, until they learn to leverage and ration the information they have.

The troublemaker seems to get a lot of this but it really comes down to utilization. If someone did make trouble they have little to gain from hiding that fact (forever, that is), but a lot to gain from not saying who they switched.

But if no one claims troublemaker then the werewolves will, but what if the seer saw the troublemaker in the center?

Lots of things are at play here, and I want to play this game a whole lot more.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

The other one I'd seen as a good opener/social game was Ladies and Gentlemen, is that as good as the shut up and sit down guys make it sound?

I get the impression Lords and Ladies depends a lot on the group. For instance, Tom Vasel (who, despite how annoying he is, has enough reviews out there you can calibrate his opinions to your own) hated it, but I've seen no evidence that Tom or his friends would be any fun anyway.

If you've got a group who is willing to get into character a bit. Doesn't mind gender-bending roles, or whatever. I think that it could be a blast. Unfortunately, my copy is currently unplayed, so I can't speak to it directly.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

Garvey posted:

I finally bought Dick, which is basically CaH, but all the response cards are taken directly from the text of Moby Dick, so I have an alternative to CaH. It's still poo poo, but it's a better poo poo.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SUSD is back from their holiday and brings us this in the news:

So soon you'll be able to play a mashup of two terrible games!

Also Asmodee continues to gobble up other companies like some sort of colossal ooze monster:

quote:

They’ve acquired Spanish distributor Millennium, the Franco-Spanish EDGE Entertainment and the German publisher/distributor Heidelberger Spieleverlag.

So yeah, even more absurd pricing in the future I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

the panacea posted:

So Asmodee has decided that retailers in the German region should no longer sell English copies of FFG games. So this means I can no longer pick up everything conveniently order and buy everything at my local brick and mortar store or any other stores in that region. Any idea where I could order from now with minimal shipping costs?

In relation to Asmodee's continuing expansion, has anyone heard anything else about this? Where did you find out about it? It's lovely news, also being in Germany.