Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

In terms of what, can you be a bit more specific?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Kerbtree posted:

So, I've just pushed the button on a 7 - anything I should do to make switching over from Android simpler?

Either download all of the Google apps you used previously, or go all in on iCloud/Apple apps and after a few days you're basically using a new Android. Use iCloud anyway to automatically backup your phone every time you plug it in while on wifi. Download iTunes if you still have an MP3 collection that you want to store on the phone. Use the included "Tips" app from time to time (no, really) to learn about some iOS-specific stuff. Swipe right from off the side of the screen to go back in many apps, since there's no back button. Use 3D Touch on anything and everything that seems interactive to see if it does anything useful or cool to you. Use 3D Touch all the god drat time anywhere on the keyboard to turn it into a trackpad for the cursor.

enojy fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 9, 2017

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yeah tips is a good app. iOS has a lot of tricks that will take you months to find out because they're so hidden.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Is there a way to transfer (non apple store) music from my iphone to an itunes library on a Windows computer? I tried something called sharepod but it will only transfer a few before asking for money and I have thousands of songs

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

enojy posted:

Either download all of the Google apps you used previously, or go all in on iCloud/Apple apps and after a few days you're basically using a new Android. Use iCloud anyway to automatically backup your phone every time you plug it in while on wifi. Download iTunes if you still have an MP3 collection that you want to store on the phone. Use the included "Tips" app from time to time (no, really) to learn about some iOS-specific stuff. Swipe right from off the side of the screen to go back in many apps, since there's no back button. Use 3D Touch on anything and everything that seems interactive to see if it does anything useful or cool to you. Use 3D Touch all the god drat time anywhere on the keyboard to turn it into a trackpad for the cursor.

I really wouldn't recommend going all in on the iCloud ecosystem though. I mean they're trying but iCloud is still a steaming pile of poo poo. Use the iCloud backups but also remember to backup to a computer as well.

Unless you like Apple Music randomly deciding that songs you just saved for the purpose of listening to on a plane, suddenly becoming unavailable during a flight for whatever unexplained reason. Or you like iCloud contacts disappearing because apparently the contacts on my phone aren't the same as the contacts on my MacBook which aren't the same as what's shown on the web version of iCloud even though I only use iCloud to manage my contacts. There are quite a few iCloud related horror stories out there.

If you're already all in on the google ecosystem then just download the gmail app for gmail, add your gmail contacts to the native contacts app (maybe do the same for gmail as well just for mailto links to work unless they can now open apps other than the defaults, just turn off notifications so you don't get them twice). Same for the calendar. The default calendar app is ok. I use fantastical just for the pull down/lock screen notifications though cause it looks better.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

iCloud is nowhere near as bad as you're making it out to be but it does have some flaws.
Google make really good iOS apps so if you're all in on their ecosystem, you're well catered for but it kinda defeats the point of getting an iPhone. None of your apps will be integrated with the OS at all.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Do applications know where a playback request comes from (e.g. via Bluetooth)? Spotify's being a pain in the rear end lately. Whenever my phone connects to my car radio and gets a request to play music, Spotify does know it needs to play music, but chooses to start the Spotify client on my desktop computer remotely, instead of you know, playing music on the drat phone/in the car.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 9, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
iCloud isn't terrible but it isn't great either. It's good for photo syncing and backups. It's alright for syncing files and using like a Dropbox but only if you don't mind waiting many minutes for stuff to sync.

Google has so many good apps on iPhone. If you aren't fully invested in the iPhone ecosystem and don't have Macs at home, I'd just use Google apps. If you have more than one iPhone in your family or have Apple computers then go full iCloud.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Kerbtree posted:

So, I've just pushed the button on a 7 - anything I should do to make switching over from Android simpler?

Also there's an app called 'Move to iOS' in the Google Play store that will move over your contacts, calendar, camera pics, and other stuff, it even ties in with Apple's App Store and downloads preselected apps that are the iOS equivalents, or in some cases the same app on iOS.

You can transfer with WiFi or via a PC but I found the easier of the two was WiFi.

I went from a S5 to a iPhone 7 with this app and I was pleasantly surprised by how smooth the transition was, even the notes I wrote carried over.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

Also there's an app called 'Move to iOS' in the Google Play store that will move over your contacts, calendar, camera pics, and other stuff, it even ties in with Apple's App Store and downloads preselected apps that are the iOS equivalents, or in some cases the same app on iOS.

You can transfer with WiFi or via a PC but I found the easier of the two was WiFi.

I went from a S5 to a iPhone 7 with this app and I was pleasantly surprised by how smooth the transition was, even the notes I wrote carried over.

Just be aware there's nothing to take you the other way, getting any of your data out of Hotel Apple is excruciating.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

xzzy posted:

Just be aware there's nothing to take you the other way, getting any of your data out of Hotel Apple is excruciating.

That's not true at all, Shitsung offers an iCloud tied in transfer method.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Do applications know where a playback request comes from (e.g. via Bluetooth)? Spotify's being a pain in the rear end lately. Whenever my phone connects to my car radio and gets a request to play music, Spotify does know it needs to play music, but chooses to start the Spotify client on my desktop computer remotely, instead of you know, playing music on the drat phone/in the car.
I assume an app would know what it's connecting to. This sounds like a Spotify problem.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

That's not true at all, Shitsung offers an iCloud tied in transfer method.
Pixels and Motorolas have a thing, too.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

enojy posted:

Use 3D Touch all the god drat time anywhere on the keyboard to turn it into a trackpad for the cursor.

Holy gently caress I didn't know you could do this.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Post about it on Spotify's community forum so that they can ignore it for six months and then mark it as "not an issue."

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The lack of a headphone jack on the iPhone 7 is finally taking its toll. I'm shopping for an 8-10 year old Prius and there are a couple decent listings that don't have Bluetooth, which I didn't know was even possible on a Prius.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Is there not a way to disable cloud music on the phone anymore?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

The lack of a headphone jack on the iPhone 7 is finally taking its toll. I'm shopping for an 8-10 year old Prius and there are a couple decent listings that don't have Bluetooth, which I didn't know was even possible on a Prius.

if it has an AUX in you can just buy the $10 BT adapter.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

You can get an aftermarket head unit with Bluetooth for under $100 or a Bluetooth FM transmitter for even less.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Josh Lyman posted:

BT phone was standard on Gen3 (2009-2015) but BT audio only came with the (as I remember) $3400 nav package.

If you're looking at that gen, they all have a 12v outlet and a 3.5mm aux in inside the center console. You could just leave your lightning/3.5 dongle that came with the phone plugged in to that.

Edit: vv or use that in the console

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 9, 2017

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is what I was talking about

https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetoo...=mpow+bluetooth

I use it at work for some wired headphones I have and it works great.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Is there a market for water damaged iPhones? My iPhone 6 fell into the toilet and it's completely unusable (won't even turn on but for some reason it still gets recognized by iTunes but none of the apps etc show up).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Maybe there's some fetish site that specializes in poo poo-covered phones.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Maybe there's some fetish site that specializes in poo poo-covered phones.

I might know of one...

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Is there a market for water damaged iPhones? My iPhone 6 fell into the toilet and it's completely unusable (won't even turn on but for some reason it still gets recognized by iTunes but none of the apps etc show up).

Might be repairable if it's getting that far, but it probably doesn't have a lot of resale value.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Was it before or after... you know?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I might know of one...

Sister site to the poo poo-covered watch site?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maneki Neko posted:

Is there not a way to disable cloud music on the phone anymore?

You can tell the music app to not use cellular data, but if you're on wifi it'll start streaming again.

So to answer your question: no.

Your only options are to build playlists or "delete" the songs that are in the cloud. Which is really just "hide this purchase" but will at least tell ios to stop playing them.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Michael Scott posted:

The toilet was not in use when it happened.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Michael Scott posted:

Don't be rude. Mr Hand's colon could only dream of using a toilet bowl instead of a diaper after the....incident.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Sometimes when I have my phone plugged into my car stereo, if I am a passenger and trying to DJ, it wont let me add songs to up next. Like when I press a song, it usually says "play next" or "Play later" but sometimes those options are just gone. What's the deal?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

rear end Catchcum posted:

Sometimes when I have my phone plugged into my car stereo, if I am a passenger and trying to DJ, it wont let me add songs to up next. Like when I press a song, it usually says "play next" or "Play later" but sometimes those options are just gone. What's the deal?

The car stereo is overriding what you can do. My Hyundai does that when I have it plugged in directly / iPod mode. If I'm on BT then the phone still fully controls audio so I can do play next or whatever.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Ah ok thank you. Will just switch to BT then. Thanks.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

xzzy posted:

You can tell the music app to not use cellular data, but if you're on wifi it'll start streaming again.

So to answer your question: no.

Your only options are to build playlists or "delete" the songs that are in the cloud. Which is really just "hide this purchase" but will at least tell ios to stop playing them.

Even disabling ceullular access to music doesn't seem to prevent it from automatic ically streaming cloud songs when I plug my phone into my car, I'm guessing there's some lovely cache somewhere I can't clear :(

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

(Posting here as it's probably more relevant here than in the D&D Unicorn thread...)

Yesterday, in honor of the 10th anniversary of the original announcement, a friend re-posted the original iPhone announcement presentation. It's very interesting to watch in retrospect. Some highlights...

Jobs talks about "3 revolutionary products" (that of course turned out to all be in the iPhone). The applause was huge for the first product, a "widescreen iPod with touch controls", then everyone went crazy for the second product, a "revolutionary mobile phone", finally, there was only tepid applause for the third product, a "breakthrough internet communication device". Of course, we all now know that final part is about 91% of what made the iPhone such a revolution (and another 7% is the camera, which isn't even in the intro).

Also, when he demos "slide to unlock" and swipe-to-scroll, the crowd "ooh"s and "aah"s like cavemen who have just been shown a bic lighter. When he finally shows off pinch-to-zoom for the first time (at the 33:27 mark) everyone just loses their drat minds.

There's a lot made about the iPhone's email functionality that is demo'd through Yahoo's IMAP service. So there's a good chance that the email accounts that Jobs, Eddy Cue, and a half-dozen other Apple people set up for use in that demo were part of the massive data breach.

After Jobs demonstrates the Google Maps app, Eric Schmidt comes out on behalf of Google and makes some interesting comments about where they saw themselves in the mobile space. In retrospect, this could almost be considered him low-key announcing Android because everything he says here can apply to that.

Seeing the iPhone with the Cingular logo as the carrier throughout the demo was weird. Having the Cingular CEO come out and talk about the fact that they were just acquired by ATT was weirder.

At 1:15:15 Job's clicker stops working so to stall for time he goes to his anecdote about "Woz and me, but mostly Woz" building a TV jammer.

Oh yea, and his goal for the first year of the iPhone was to get 1% market share by selling 10 million units. I don't believe the original iPhone actually hit that mark, but of course it seems like a cute goal now.

And at the end, the company name gets changed from Apple Computer, Inc to Apple, Inc.

So yea, interesting piece of history there.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Josh Lyman posted:

The iPhone 7 and 7 plus come with the headphone jack dongle. Just put it at the end of the aux cable you're going to leave in the car anyway.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GutBomb posted:

The iPhone 7 and 7 plus come with the headphone jack dongle. Just put it at the end of the aux cable you're going to leave in the car anyway.
What kind of crazy person doesn't charge their phone constantly while in the car?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This guy, my phone only gets plugged in when I go to bed at night.

But I do have a cable in the glove box if I ever need a refresh. Never happens though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

What kind of crazy person doesn't charge their phone constantly while in the car?

I, too, never drive an hour from the place of my birth.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have a Carplay receiver so I'm always charging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I guess I'm spoiled by the battery in the 7 plus. The only time I plug it in is while I'm sleeping and it only ever gets down to 60%ish when i do finally plug it in at bed time. I can see a legit need for something like this $16 solution to charge your phone and provide a headphone jack.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N9CGEF3/ref=psd_mlt_nbc_B01MFCXICJ_r