Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

the panacea posted:

So Asmodee has decided that retailers in the German region should no longer sell English copies of FFG games. So this means I can no longer pick up everything conveniently order and buy everything at my local brick and mortar store or any other stores in that region. Any idea where I could order from now with minimal shipping costs?
Wait, so what happens if a FFG game doesn't have a German translation? Can you order the English version before an official translation is released/announced, or are you hosed?

For someone who sometimes plays in a multi-language group, the future seems dim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Zark the Damned posted:

SUSD is back from their holiday and brings us this in the news:

So soon you'll be able to play a mashup of two terrible games!

Also Asmodee continues to gobble up other companies like some sort of colossal ooze monster:

So yeah, even more absurd pricing in the future I guess.

What is wrong with flick em up? It's a pretty straightforward dexterity game with a fitting theme.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So is Dead of Winter (when you kill zombies by satisfyingly flicking them over).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Flick 'em Up is great. Perfect for families.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Garvey posted:

I've heard of Pandemic, and the high praise for the Legacy edition! I think I'd prefer the standard edition though, at least at first. I'll investigate Kemet, thanks!

Probably a good call on Pandemic Legacy if you have 8 people who rotate in and out: since it is episodic from what I understand you want to play with one specific group of people.

If you hate CaH (and the two clones) but your friends like it I would suggest Codenames and Resistance, possibly even Dixit as casual games that aren't complicated, have the opportunity for tons of humor and friendly BSing, but have more actual strategy and less overt nonsense. I have had great luck with these three games specifically when non-gamer friends want to join in but don't want the heavier stuff, and it keeps the lovely stuff away from the table more often. The first two in particular are also good because they accommodate big groups if you ever have all 8 people at once. I'm sure others have suggestions as well, I have been considering buying Pictomania and Say Anything for similar reasons.

It seems like you in particular and a few of your friends are interested in some of the more strategic but still speedy games. My group's hands-down favorite is Dominion, which has a variable setup and plays in about 30 minutes. We have a new thread for it if you are interested in learning a little about it.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Garvey posted:

Looking for a game recommendation for my board gaming group! There's 8 of us who regularly play but usually only 4-6 of us at once. We're relatively new to the hobby so while we own a good number of games they're all fairly simple ones i think. Below are the games we own between us and my thoughts on them and how people like them.

Your group seems to really like games in the vein of CaH. I'm sorry. Here are some games that scratch the same itch, but have a lot more room for creativity:

Say Anything: Like Cards against Humanity, but you write whatever answer you want on a whiteboard! Scoring is a little more complicated, to prevent just awarding points to a person rather than an answer, but it's still lite and simple. Get as vulgar and obscene as your group wants, or be totally clean when playing with family or children. The only caveat here is the game will only be as good as you know the people you're playing with; in-jokes, references to personal lives, and answers that hit just a little too close to home are what makes this game really shine.

Snake Oil: Like Cards against Humanity, but you're a sleazy infomercial salesman! Each player has a hand of cards that say things like: boat, noodle, mountain, soap, cape. The judge has a customer card, marking him as a Pirate, Teacher, Janitor, Dictator, etc. Each player combines two of their cards into a product and makes a sales pitch to the judge. Convince the judge that, clearly, every astronaut needs a Noodle-Belt, because in zero gravity spaghetti would just go everywhere and be impossible to eat, but your patented noodle-belt has the perfect zero gravity spaghetti dispenser.

Funemployed: Like Cards against Humanity; but you're at a terrible job interview! Convince the judge that your resume of "Very Thin, Time Machine, Bean Burrito, and S.T.D." would make you the perfect drill sergeant. Not as inappropriate as CaH, but it leans that direction.

Also I'd like to second the recommendation for Eldritch Horror, if you like Arkham Horror then it's a straight upgrade. The game is absolutely too long and too random, but its a great experience generator if everyone at the table is into dying horribly in new and exciting ways. Just don't play with more than 4 (and add communal characters if you have less than 4).

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Zark the Damned posted:

SUSD is back from their holiday and brings us this in the news:

I have a soft spot for dexterity games (probably because no one will play them with me) so this looks pretty fun to me at first glance.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mister Sinewave posted:

I have a soft spot for dexterity games (probably because no one will play them with me) so this looks pretty fun to me at first glance.

It honestly looks like the only way I'll touch anything DoW related. Probably just Flick 'Em Up, Zombie edition, which I don't have too many problems with I guess?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

CommonShore posted:

1) 2p game of Food Chain Magnate!

Question on that though - are there "Valid" openings other than recruiting girl x2 or guru? I feel like there might be room to hit a first-turn kitchen trainee then a second-turn pricing manager before turning to hiring girls and marketing, because being the only one with a freezer + having the price bonus could make people unable to compete.

In multiplayer, sometimes, depending how the board and opponents' openings, but probably not in 2p. You could go for an errand boy (doesn't waste the cook milestone like kitchen trainee) or a marketing trainee. Only those and waitress do anything at all, and waitress isn't even the way to open for waitresses.

I'm assuming you meant Trainer instead of Guru - you can use the trainer into marketing as well, it doesn't have to go for Guru.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
If anyone is interested in playing Coup online, I found this interesting browser Coup that satisfys the itch.

Treason Coup

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Re: good and bad randomness: I played Myrmes for the first time yesterday and it's a good example for this due to a lot of set-up randomization/seeding. It has:
  • 6 missions players can fulfill for points, drawn from 20 possible ones.
  • Prey randomly distributed on predefined spots on the map, with different prey giving different combinations of food and victory points (which can inform whether you hunt opportunistically or make it a strategy because you can gain VP from the prey close to your starting position and a hunting-related mission or two on top of that).
  • The game consists of 3 years, which consist of 3 rounds (spring, summer, fall) and an upkeep phase (winter) each. At the beginning of a year, 3 dice are rolled that determine specific bonuses all players get during the rounds/seasons.

I'm not entirely sure if the last one is entirely ideal since the bonuses have a moderately high impact and especially later on some players can get rewarded for something they'd been doing anyway. Of course, first game impressions, and it's an issue that other games also have without it being enough of a problem in reality to ruin the game (like Keyflower sometimes feeding some players just the right tiles forcing the rest to use some workers to stop them). Also, players can change the bonuses for a low resource cost, so even if a player has to change the bonus every round in the later years it's effectively just a minor resource drain.
And the bonuses seem just good enough to make you reconsider your approach for a given year, which is a plus to me.

Either way, after that first play I think I'll get a lot of mileage out of Myrmes for three reasons:
First, there's a good amount interaction. Direct competition on the map (for both space and prey) and racing each other to complete missions first are there but not to an extent where a player can be shut out completely.
Second, there's a lot of interesting trade-offs between short-term gains and long-term development.
And third, the randomization I talked about above should give it good staying power.

Garvey posted:

Looking for a game recommendation for my board gaming group! There's 8 of us who regularly play but usually only 4-6 of us at once. We're relatively new to the hobby so while we own a good number of games they're all fairly simple ones i think. Below are the games we own between us and my thoughts on them and how people like them.
Are you looking for something on Ticket to Ride's level of complexity or is a more complicated game okay/preferred?
Also, the game your group enjoys most seem to be shorter ones (90 minutes or less) - do you think longer games would go over well?

late e: Either way, I think you should take a look at Via Nebula and Codenames.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 9, 2017

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

rchandra posted:

In multiplayer, sometimes, depending how the board and opponents' openings, but probably not in 2p. You could go for an errand boy (doesn't waste the cook milestone like kitchen trainee) or a marketing trainee. Only those and waitress do anything at all, and waitress isn't even the way to open for waitresses.

I'm assuming you meant Trainer instead of Guru - you can use the trainer into marketing as well, it doesn't have to go for Guru.

He may be talking about the Guru Rush 2p strat:

Turn 1:
Hire: Trainer

Turn 2:
Play: Trainer
Hire: Management Trainee
Train: Management Trainee to Junior Exec

Turn 3:
Hire: Recruiting Girl
Train: Junior Exec to Vice President

Turn 4:
Play: Recruiting Girl and Trainer
Hire: Management Trainee and Waitress
Train: VP to Guru.

Turn 5:
Play: Management Trainee, Guru, Recruiting Girl, Trainer, Waitress
Hire: Marketing Trainee, Management Trainee
Train: Marketing Trainee to Brand Director, Management Trainee to Jr. Exec.

This way you get the Guru first as well as getting the first to Radio in 6 turns.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Papes posted:

What is wrong with flick em up? It's a pretty straightforward dexterity game with a fitting theme.

I found the set-up a little annoying, and not having a border is kind of tough because the discs go flying everywhere. But it's not a bad game and it has a lot more theme than other dexterity games.

If the Dead of Winter version keeps the traitor element, that could be great. Social Deduction + Dexterity could be a really funny combo. Sorry, I'm just a really bad shot, I didn't mean to kill that survivor!!!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I remember people spitballing what a successfully implemented dexterity based traitor game could look like a while ago. Neat idea but I don't recall any workable sounding ideas coming out of it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mister Sinewave posted:

I remember people spitballing what a successfully implemented dexterity based traitor game could look like a while ago. Neat idea but I don't recall any workable sounding ideas coming out of it.

Maybe just larp and then betrayal looks like "I just stabbed you with a foam sword, you fall down now, ha ha ha ha ha". :shrug:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Kamikaze Raider posted:

He may be talking about the Guru Rush 2p strat:

Turn 1:
Hire: Trainer

Turn 2:
Hire: Management Trainee
Train: Management Trainee to Junior Exec

Turn 3:
Hire: Recruiting Girl
Train: Junior Exec to Vice President

Turn 4:
Play: Recruiting Girl and Trainer
Hire: Management Trainee and Waitress
Train: VP to Guru.

Turn 5:
Play: Management Trainee, Guru, Recruiting Girl, Trainer, Waitress
Hire: Marketing Trainee, Management Trainee
Train: Marketing Trainee to Brand Director, Management Trainee to Jr. Exec.

This way you get the Guru first as well as getting the first to Radio in 6 turns.

It's nice to have a guru early, but I feel like that opening just cedes so much to your opponent with respect to being able to actually compete. They can get so many more milestones and the pay $20 in salaries milestone to make up for the lack of the guru. I have a hard time justifying any opening other than getting the hire 3x people milestone due to how quickly that accelerates your organization.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Any particular reason not to buy The Colonists if I can get a copy?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
You'll throw out your back carrying it out of the store.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Serious answer, it's AP-inducing as gently caress.

Also, while people say that playing time can be adjusted, what really sets the design apart to me are the differences between eras, so you're looking at a very long game. I might not buy it for myself because I'm not confident I could get it on the table all that often.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 9, 2017

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Papes posted:

Tried it and was not a fan. Seemed far too fiddly for what should have been a fairly straightforward game, especially with the 'oh no your thing touched a thing, guess you wasted your action'. Also it feels like it needs more variety in the scenarios which all felt like different configurations of 'shoot the other team only now they're placed in a different area'. Kind of agree with SUSD in that it felt like a pile of neat components for you to make your own game with.

All being said it's nowhere near as bad as DOW, I guess I should have said they were mixing a lovely game with a mediocre one. Similar to Munchkin x anything.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Alright barring getting called in to work, I should have the 2nd and 3rd solo challenges, as well as a separate topic, for A Feast for Odin up by tomorrow night! :bubblewoop:

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Dirk the Average posted:

It's nice to have a guru early, but I feel like that opening just cedes so much to your opponent with respect to being able to actually compete. They can get so many more milestones and the pay $20 in salaries milestone to make up for the lack of the guru. I have a hard time justifying any opening other than getting the hire 3x people milestone due to how quickly that accelerates your organization.

I agree in theory, but I've never played a 2p game with that build order so I'm curious how effective it is. I did the RG opening last game and crushed my fiance ($137 to $991), so I think next game I'm going to try this Guru rush opening (providing the circumstances are right based on the board) and just see how it fares.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Sinewave posted:

Everyone closes their eyes (except the secret traitor), and the traitor shoots a rubber band at someones head. Once everyone opens their eyes they must determine who the traitor is. During this If the traitor hits you under the table with a rubber band you are eliminated and must leave the room.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Megasabin posted:

What are games with some actual depth that work with player counts of 6 or higher? The only ones that I own are Dominant Species, Keyflower, Steampunk Rally. Two of those only work with 6.

Also I just got notified that Churchill is moving into the shipping phase for GMT 500. Hopefully it's worthy of the praise. I think I placed the order like 2 years ago hoping to get a good 3 player game out of it.

Game of Thrones is great with exactly 6. Scythe with the expansion seats up to 7. It's an excellent game, but I haven't played it with a full table yet.

And I love Churchill, despite its flaws (which are that the "war" side of the board is fiddly and presents fairly limited decisions). The debate side of the game is fun and trying to win without winning by too much is an interesting challenge.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wizard Styles posted:

Serious answer, it's AP-inducing as gently caress.

Also, while people say that playing time can be adjusted, what really sets the design apart to me are the differences between eras, so you're looking at a very long game. I might not buy it for myself because I'm not confident I could get it on the table all that often.

Having read the rules I'm scratching my head at how AP inducing it really could be. You move your guy three times and get poo poo. And there doesn't seem to be any direct competition except avoiding the spots other people are on.

But that's just my opinion on a cursory glance. It kind of gives me vibes of Istanbul which is why I'm excited, but at the same time I have seen people who regularly play heavier games wrack their brain when they see Istanbul.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I'm looking at putting dixit on my wishlist for when a sale happens, but have no freaking clue which standalone to buy. Help?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Garvey posted:

I've heard of Pandemic, and the high praise for the Legacy edition! I think I'd prefer the standard edition though, at least at first. I'll investigate Kemet, thanks!

Pandemic got a grand total of two plays at my table when I bought the base game plus expansion. Pandemic legacy got played eighteen times in the space of three weeks. Then I bought another copy for me and the girlfriend to try and beat the already high score with fore knowledge (and as part of the cool four box cover art).

Legacy is the way to go, you will not be disappointed.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Isn't season 2 coming out soon? Wonder if it will be as much of a hit as the first

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Sinewave posted:

That was an idea I had a few months ago. I think it's interesting, but after giving it some more thought I'm still blanking. One idea I had was something similar to Jenga for the dexterity element, but where you build the tower as you go, and do so with a hand of cards. If you're the traitor and you knock the tower over, you lose. If any other player knocks the tower over you win. You lose if the good guys guess your identity. You win if they vote on an incorrect traitor. I can think of a few problems with that formula, though.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Spikes32 posted:

I'm looking at putting dixit on my wishlist for when a sale happens, but have no freaking clue which standalone to buy. Help?

In theory you could play with any set of picture cards, or even a deck of playing/tarot cards if you are particularly creative!

https://www.amazon.com/Eeboo-Tell-Me-Story-Mystery/dp/B00MMXDFA0/
https://www.amazon.com/eeBoo-Tell-Story-Fairy-Tale/dp/B001FYH1UC/
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Orange-461-Tell-Tale/dp/B0064EI1KC/
https://www.amazon.com/Smethport-Pocket-Chart-Story-Sequencing/dp/B0033YTTX4/
https://www.amazon.com/Atlas-ATG1030-Once-Upon-Time/dp/1589781317/

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

CaptainRightful posted:

Game of Thrones is great with exactly 6. Scythe with the expansion seats up to 7. It's an excellent game, but I haven't played it with a full table yet.

And I love Churchill, despite its flaws (which are that the "war" side of the board is fiddly and presents fairly limited decisions). The debate side of the game is fun and trying to win without winning by too much is an interesting challenge.

I also love Churchill and that is my main criticism.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

al-azad posted:

Having read the rules I'm scratching my head at how AP inducing it really could be. You move your guy three times and get poo poo. And there doesn't seem to be any direct competition except avoiding the spots other people are on.

But that's just my opinion on a cursory glance. It kind of gives me vibes of Istanbul which is why I'm excited, but at the same time I have seen people who regularly play heavier games wrack their brain when they see Istanbul.

I've been playing solo rounds of The Colonists and well,

It's less three moves and more three actions, which while some are very easy (take two wood!), combining all three at once, especially in time to build buildings for resource generation at the end-of-two-turns production phase, suddenly it's a two-dimensional Caylus. It's the resource flow of worker placement strategy mixed but the action-drafting is replaced with something more brain-burning (moving to actions while avoiding other ones because of other players or because you can't "pass" on any given spot and have to be able to use that action). So it's action-progression but with a wobbly spacial element, and it's far from point salad--you want to get certain buildings before other ones to do certain things to get your victory money.

I love the game just from these feeble solo plays, but yeah there's heavy strategy involved and I can easily see falling into an AP trap especially when you don't know if the route you need to take to certain actions is suddenly blocked by other player pawns.

EDIT: One upside to fighting AP-length of play is that you can start a game of the Colonists at a later game point and/or end at an earlier part of the game. The game is divided into four major eras (similar to stages in Power Grid or those progression points in Caylus), and there are rules for setting up from, say, era III and ending at IV rather than starting from the beginning. You can also play a game that's just era I, or era I-II, and so on. So...maybe this game is more broadly appealing and the hype is real :shrug:

Trynant fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 10, 2017

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
6 player meaty games I like to varying degrees and would argue are good (to varying degrees):
Virgin Queen
Eclipse
Twilight Imperium with expansions
18XX games
Keyflower
Dominant Species
Carson City
Power Grid
Battlestar Galactica
Imperial 2030

Keyflower, Power Grid, and Imperial 2030 play within the medium-lengthy euro time range (Dominant Species being slightly longer), the rest are big efforts to get to the table. But they're there! I especially enjoy Dominant Species at 6 players, but it is a three to five hour game at that point (depending on who you play with etc.).

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
The Ave Roma Kickstarter showed up for me last week and after chitting it this weekend, I'm pretty excited. While it's bland-as-f with its "let's do Rome!" theme, it has some really interesting underpinnings in terms of worker placement and how you go about recovering your workers. Lots of knobs and levers and that's before you get into the five expansions the KS included which, frankly, add almost as much as the Tuscany expansion did to Viticulture.

Anyone else gotten it and/or gotten a play in?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Oldstench posted:

Quick public service announcement since there seems to be people new to the thread/boardgaming showing up.

:perfect:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Fair enough on the colonists. I'm not sure my wife would be very into it, so I'm not gonna spend that much on something that won't hit the table too often. I already did that with BattleCON. Did anyone here ever pick up Wizard's Academy though?

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Holy poo poo, I want that deck of cards so bad.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Memnaelar posted:

The Ave Roma Kickstarter showed up for me last week and after chitting it this weekend, I'm pretty excited. While it's bland-as-f with its "let's do Rome!" theme, it has some really interesting underpinnings in terms of worker placement and how you go about recovering your workers. Lots of knobs and levers and that's before you get into the five expansions the KS included which, frankly, add almost as much as the Tuscany expansion did to Viticulture.

Anyone else gotten it and/or gotten a play in?

I picked it up at Spiel, without the expansions. It's a decent game, but it ends very quickly - maybe too quickly. In three plays we've yet to see anyone get more than three senators or 4 influence, or get both parts of a building. It also makes getting war bonuses a lottery. I don't see the expansions fixing any of this, there's already enough to do and not enough time for it all.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So since the IOS thread seems to be a bit slow i figured i'd ask if the App version of Twilight Struggle is worth the price? Many of the reviews seem to be complaining that the new update/DLC thing they added kinda broke the game in some way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
I can't comment as to post patch, but prior to that it was a highly playable and decent app version of a brilliant game