Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
gently caress black library's artificial scarcity. They are books, not precious jewels of plastic resin known as citadel miniatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Immanentized posted:

Any updates on when the US kindle store goes live?

When you can just get it from BL direct why does it matter?

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Skarsnik posted:

When you can just get it from BL direct why does it matter?

I pretty much read warhams when I travel for work, it's just easier to not use a Euro payment portal and monkey with file transfers and stuff if I want to grab something while waiting for a flight or on the road.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

God drat, seconding whoever recommended Red Tithe, the Carcharodon Astra book costarring Night Lords. Highly loving rad, was honestly surprised as I thought the book was VERY well written, ADB/Abnett league. Who could have thought the loving Space Sharks could be made dark and mysterious

mrchinchin25
Apr 14, 2012

Dat BDSSE

Biplane posted:

God drat, seconding whoever recommended Red Tithe, the Carcharodon Astra book costarring Night Lords. Highly loving rad, was honestly surprised as I thought the book was VERY well written, ADB/Abnett league. Who could have thought the loving Space Sharks could be made dark and mysterious

This has just jumped onto my radar too, thanks for the recommendations

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I caught up with Gaunt's Ghosts and started in on the Heresy books, I'm a little over halfway through False Gods now. It's made me wonder, are any of the loyalist primarchs still around by the M40? I know some of the traitor primarchs are still around as daemon princes and the like, but I haven't heard much on the others. Does the Heresy end up taking them all or do some make it out?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

bango skank posted:

So I caught up with Gaunt's Ghosts and started in on the Heresy books, I'm a little over halfway through False Gods now. It's made me wonder, are any of the loyalist primarchs still around by the M40? I know some of the traitor primarchs are still around as daemon princes and the like, but I haven't heard much on the others. Does the Heresy end up taking them all or do some make it out?

I'm not sure you should ask that if you're new to the 40k universe, but whatever:

Leman Russ- After the heresy, while he was getting drunk, suddenly got up, grabbed his closest retainers and departed Fenris, disapearing forever, promising he would return in the final hour. Rumors say he went to the Eye of Terror looking for Magnus.

Ferrus Manus- Dies in Istvaan V, decapitated by Fulgrim.

Vulkan- This one's funny, because the Heresy series has retconned him, supposedly he vanishes at the end of the Heresy, the Salamanders are still searching for him.

Rogal Dorn- Survived the Heresy, supposedly died when he boarded a chaos ship alone in a suicidal attempt to chase fter Perturarbo, who trolled him hard. They only found his severed hand.

Sanguinius- Died in the Heresy.

Lion El'Jonson- Lies comatose in the most secret chamber of the Rock, the mobile fortress-monastery of the Dark Angel, he may get better one day, or not.

Jaghatai Khan- Disappeared after the Heresy while chasing some Dark Eldar raiders into the Webway.

Corax- Disapeared again after the Heresy (noticed a trend?), supposedly he went to the Eye of Terror as penance for loving up with his sons genetic makeup.

Roboute Guilliam- Fought Daemon Prince Fulgrim after the Heresy, got stabbed by the same sword that nearly killed Horus. he' alive, but barely. He got locked in a stasis field in Macragge. Rumors are that he may get better, someday.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Basically, they're all dead and/or missing, but they're all supposed to come back to life/appear magically at the end of all things in the imperium's darkest hour.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Although the Beast Arises series features Vulkan a fair bit

Hardly need to spoiler that though as the title of one of the books gives it away

mrchinchin25
Apr 14, 2012

Dat BDSSE
Basically a lot of loyalist primarchs are conveniently missing or in standby mode ready for GW to one day do some kind of galaxy-ending meta plot which requires them to be available again. Assuming they will..

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Okay thread, you got me. I read the Eisenhorn trilogy, which kicked rear end, so I wanted more. I read the Ravenor omnibus, which was also very good, so I wanted more. I just finished Pariah, which went from confusing to awesome, but was shorter than I hoped and now I'm left hanging. Apparently Abnett's been stuck with book 2 for a couple of years, and it seems like it will take him a little while longer still. Where do I go from here? I'd love to read something that kind of tangentially relates to what I've read so far - supposedly Emperor's Gift has Zael in it? Is there anything else?

Oh, and a side question: was there ever a short story that went into detail on how Eisenhorn's Pilot, Midas, met his fate? He just kind of got replaced by his daughter from one book to the next, completely unceremoniously

For now I have my eyes on the Night Lords omnibus after reading good things about it in the beginning of the thread, but feel free to hit me with other more recent stuff. I have a special fondness for chaos and heretical things more so than other xenos.

I've also already read the first 3 Horus Heresy novels some years ago, started with the 4th but gave up after realizing that it doesn't continue the story from the first three books anymore. Then I jumped ahead to Legion because more Abnett, and enjoyed that too, especially after then seeing the Alpha Legion return in Pariah.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

mrchinchin25 posted:

Basically a lot of loyalist primarchs are conveniently missing or in standby mode ready for GW to one day do some kind of galaxy-ending meta plot which requires them to be available again. Assuming they will..

Considering they just released a Daemon Primarch Magnus model and 40k's next big event is 'Fall of Cadia', that may be closer than any of us think.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Oenis posted:

Oh, and a side question: was there ever a short story that went into detail on how Eisenhorn's Pilot, Midas, met his fate? He just kind of got replaced by his daughter from one book to the next, completely unceremoniously

:hm: It's literally covered in the books you claim to have read? Like, not even an offhand comment you could miss it's several paragraphs. :psyduck:

he's killed by some minor heretic that eisenhorn doesn't have the time or inclination to go after. When they eventually do go after the guy he's reawakened a chaos Titan and fucks their poo poo up. You don't remember reading about eisenhorn and Medea's autoseance before the assault on eisenhorn's manor?.

Also it's possible abnett never gets round the finishing gaunt's ghosts or this pariah trilogy. Dude does work for Marvel these days I believe and they pay a lot better than BL.

rocket_Magnet fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 7, 2017

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Oenis posted:

Okay thread, you got me. I read the Eisenhorn trilogy, which kicked rear end, so I wanted more. I read the Ravenor omnibus, which was also very good, so I wanted more. I just finished Pariah, which went from confusing to awesome, but was shorter than I hoped and now I'm left hanging. Apparently Abnett's been stuck with book 2 for a couple of years, and it seems like it will take him a little while longer still. Where do I go from here? I'd love to read something that kind of tangentially relates to what I've read so far - supposedly Emperor's Gift has Zael in it? Is there anything else?

For now I have my eyes on the Night Lords omnibus after reading good things about it in the beginning of the thread, but feel free to hit me with other more recent stuff. I have a special fondness for chaos and heretical things more so than other xenos.

I've also already read the first 3 Horus Heresy novels some years ago, started with the 4th but gave up after realizing that it doesn't continue the story from the first three books anymore. Then I jumped ahead to Legion because more Abnett, and enjoyed that too, especially after then seeing the Alpha Legion return in Pariah.

Definitely read the Night Lords trilogy and Emperor's Gift, then Talon of Horus and all other Aaron Dembski-Bowden books.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

rocket_Magnet posted:

:hm: It's literally covered in the books you claim to have read? Like, not even an offhand comment you could miss it's several paragraphs. :psyduck:

he's killed by some minor heretic that eisenhorn doesn't have the time or inclination to go after. When they eventually do go after the guy he's reawakened a chaos Titan and fucks their poo poo up. You don't remember reading about eisenhorn and Medea's autoseance before the assault on eisenhorn's manor?.

Also it's possible abnett never gets round the finishing gaunt's ghosts or this pariah trilogy. Dude does work for Marvel these days I believe and they pay a lot better than BL.

Yeah, I remember reading the revenge bit, but I would've liked to read an account of how he's actually killed in action, and not just "he died off-screen but that's another story I don't have time to tell here", I think that's actually pretty much how it was mentioned. I really liked the guy and I distinctly remember him being alive in one book and then nonchalantly being informed of his tragic death at the beginning of the next very anti-climactic, and like something was missing.

edit: I guess I still have to spoiler it

Oenis fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 7, 2017

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Angry Lobster posted:

I'm not sure you should ask that if you're new to the 40k universe, but whatever:

Sanguinius- Died in the Heresy.

That's . . . burying the lede a little.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Went straight from Battle of the Fang to Wrath of Iron. I didn't think it was possible to get mood whiplash in 40K, but drat, M32 Space Wolves look almost altruistic and cuddly compared to the Iron Hands.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Pretty much the same in m41 as well. The wolves and the salamanders are as close as the imperium gets to good Samaritans. The ultramarines might also qualify if they weren't such aristocratic jerks

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Pretty much the same in m41 as well. The wolves and the salamanders are as close as the imperium gets to good Samaritans. The ultramarines might also qualify if they weren't such aristocratic jerks

Be honest, Ultramar is probably the best place in the imperium to live, even if the ultramarines are jerks. As nice as the wolves are to humans, Fenris sucks.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I just finished Master of Mankind and thought it was great!

All the specifics about servitors was horrifying. We already know the whole idea is hosed up but man, really make it real and visceral. Of course the machine guns recoil on this lobotomized man will shatter his teeth, that's why we took the nerves out! The mechanicum is my favorite so lots of good stuff there.

I always thought the emperor was supposed to be super charismatic and wise, but he came off as autistic, I guess. If he didn't have the psychic powers to make everyone love and obey him then someone woulda have killed his rear end back in the Stone Age.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Alternative pants posted:

Be honest, Ultramar is probably the best place in the imperium to live, even if the ultramarines are jerks. As nice as the wolves are to humans, Fenris sucks.

I thought Nocture (Or wherever the Salamanders are from) is probably also pretty good becuase you get uncle devestator marine Hushan over for emperor day dinner, and you know he's gonna cook the poo poo outta the turkey.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Any good books about the 'Manders?

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

I thought Nocture (Or wherever the Salamanders are from) is probably also pretty good becuase you get uncle devestator marine Hushan over for emperor day dinner, and you know he's gonna cook the poo poo outta the turkey.

It's still a death world though. Volcanoes, dragons, and astartes recruiting, oh my! You're right about the salamanders still being pretty awesome and retaining basic humanity for the most part. I know everyone loves ADB and Abnett, but I loved every bit of Vulkan Lives, mainly because of Artellus Numeon.

e: Don't listen to him VVVVV They're super hammy, but Kyme is almost adorable for how much he loves the Salamanders and if you take it about as seriously as Warhams should be taken, it's just fun trashy pulp.

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 9, 2017

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Biplane posted:

Any good books about the 'Manders?

Sadly they're written by Nick Kyme, so...no.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

It's still a death world though. Volcanoes, dragons, and astartes recruiting, oh my! You're right about the salamanders still being pretty awesome and retaining basic humanity for the most part. I know everyone loves ADB and Abnett, but I loved every bit of Vulkan Lives, mainly because of Artellus Numeon.

e: Don't listen to him VVVVV They're super hammy, but Kyme is almost adorable for how much he loves the Salamanders and if you take it about as seriously as Warhams should be taken, it's just fun trashy pulp.

No, he's right. Nick Kyme is a terrible writer. He's the one BL writer whose work I refuse to pay money for.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Can we at least agree that literally every BL writer is better than Terry Goodkind? I've been following the Sword of Truth thread and everything seems better by comparison.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wow, you almost had me. You almost made me want to read Vulkan Lives after I finish Mechanicum, which I went back to read after I finished Master of Mankind. I wanted more Mechanicus goodness and I realized I never read that book in the first place for some reason.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Can we at least agree that literally every BL writer is better than Terry Goodkind? I've been following the Sword of Truth thread and everything seems better by comparison.

Henry Zho

AndyElusive posted:

Wow, you almost had me. You almost made me want to read Vulkan Lives after I finish Mechanicum, which I went back to read after I finished Master of Mankind. I wanted more Mechanicus goodness and I realized I never read that book in the first place for some reason.

Read the of Mars series

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Waroduce posted:

Henry Zho

C.S Goto.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Whatever psycho wrote the tempestus scions army book.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

CL Werner

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I was leafing through a Blood Angels omnibus at my gaming club a few days ago and...wow, it was bad. Unreadably so.

Not even entertainingly crappy or weird, really. Just unreadable purple prose, mary sues galore and plots that would be laughed out of fanfiction.net. Trying to get through it was like that dare in which you try to eat 5 salt biscuits in under a minute without drinking water. Halfway into it your's just mouthing this clog of concrete dust that won't go down at all.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
The worst part is that those books are basically all Blood Angels get, at least until Dante comes out in a few months

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Angry Lobster posted:

Thanks for the rundown, for some reason I'm less worried about spoilers from Heresy stuff than I am about "present-day" 40k. Like, I already pretty much know which legions side with Horus and which stay loyal and it's all literally ancient history(relatively) so I'm less worried about spoiling whatever happens to Loken, for example, than I was about Fischig's eventual fate. It's probably a side effect of reading a bunch of the major 40k wiki articles years ago, before I had any interest in the universe beyond knowing what these space marines and "waaagh" things people would reference online were.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SRM posted:

CL Werner

Hey now - the WFB Witch Hunter books were legit good.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

berzerkmonkey posted:

Hey now - the WFB Witch Hunter books were legit good.
Then I dunno what happened when he wrote Siege of Castellax. I fought through 100 pages of that trash before putting it down.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SRM posted:

Then I dunno what happened when he wrote Siege of Castellax. I fought through 100 pages of that trash before putting it down.

It's possible he is out of his element, I suppose - McNeill, for instance, is great at writing AdMech, but not good at a lot of other things... At any rate, I didn't read Siege, so I can't comment on it (though I know the consensus is that it is bad.)

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

SRM posted:

I'm struggling to think of a worse warhams book than that, I don't think I managed to finish it and I've managed to get through nearly everything 40k put out by BL

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

rocket_Magnet posted:

I'm struggling to think of a worse warhams book than that, I don't think I managed to finish it and I've managed to get through nearly everything 40k put out by BL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Wasn't that guy whose combat scenes seemed surprisingly realistic, and then it turned out he had plagiarised entire sections from someone elses actual War Memoir.