Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

...does this mean there should be a "make a not poo poo Anime RPG" design contest? The entrants would have to include an example scenario session to teach the unfamiliar the ways of whatever genre they choose.

Because arguing over Anime in RPGs is best fixed by making a solution, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
there's nothing that special about anime that it requires special rules here's how to make a game anime

1.) find a genre of game that matches to the genre of anime that you want to play.

2.) play that game

3.) play your characters as if they were in an anime, Over the top emotions calling out attack names and so on.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Elfgames posted:

there's nothing that special about anime that it requires special rules here's how to make a game anime

1.) find a genre of game that matches to the genre of anime that you want to play.

2.) play that game

3.) play your characters as if they were in an anime, Over the top emotions calling out attack names and so on.

Yeah it's absolutely a matter of tone. I'm in a game that's pretty much Persona 4 the tabletop rpg and it uses D&D 4E as the system with only a few minor homebrew.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Plutonis posted:

Yeah it's absolutely a matter of tone. I'm in a game that's pretty much Persona 4 the tabletop rpg and it uses D&D 4E as the system with only a few minor homebrew.

Tone can, however, be reinforced through the rules itself and that can be important to the experience.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Covok posted:

Tone can, however, be reinforced through the rules itself and that can be important to the experience.

So then find a game that has the tone you want for the genre you'd like to emulate and use that.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Covok posted:

sure but anime doesn't have a specific tone either so that matches to step 1

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Which game system was the one that accounted for vaginal depth?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Cthulhutech.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Mordiceius posted:

Which game system was the one that accounted for vaginal depth?

Fatal.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

grassy gnoll posted:

Cthulhutech.

No, that was the one that confused vaginas with depth.

They're thinking of FATAL, the game where, by RAW, it's impossible to give birth and survive. Also the game where the most effective character in combat is one who pins you to the ground and rapes your ear to death :stonk:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kwyndig posted:

Like I can remember the difference between ability damage and ability drain, I was going off the picture.

The fact that 3.x even had two similarly worded powers that, in the short term, did the same thing was just bad design anyway.

Oh, the difference between ability drain and ability damage is completely bizarre. I had to cross check which was which when I saw the tarrasque statblock had immunity to one but not the other. I have no idea why they couldn't be ability drain (temporary) and ability drain (permanent) but I guess that would involve implementing a consistent key word system, like in 4e and we all know how that was received. :v:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Savidudeosoo posted:

Sounds perfect for mutants and masterminds.

And yet Mecha & Manga was awful.

Ultimately Mutants & Masterminds presumes a different sort of narrative flow and doesn't really handle constant power increases well, so I wouldn't use it for battle manga without some real clawhammering. It'd be fine for a manga with plot archetypes similar to American superhero comics, mind. It'd probably be fine for something like tokusatsu superheroes... with slight clawhammering.

Of course, then you get into the argument with the issues of superhero systems trying to simulate everything from Incredible Hulk to Young Heroes in Love... but that's another mess to dig through.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Oh, the difference between ability drain and ability damage is completely bizarre. I had to cross check which was which when I saw the tarrasque statblock had immunity to one but not the other. I have no idea why they couldn't be ability drain (temporary) and ability drain (permanent) but I guess that would involve implementing a consistent key word system, like in 4e and we all know how that was received. :v:
Damage heals, drain does not. I'm not really sure how this is confusing or inconsistent. I think having two type of ability drain and having to remember which monster does what type of drain would be orders of magnitude more vague and irritating than remembering the first five words of this post.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yawgmoth posted:

Damage heals, drain does not. I'm not really sure how this is confusing or inconsistent. I think having two type of ability drain and having to remember which monster does what type of drain would be orders of magnitude more vague and irritating than remembering the first five words of this post.

Because drain doesn't mean that in a normal context when referring to people, but damage can mean something that isn't recoverable from. If you tell me someone is drained I know they'll be fine with rest, but if you tell me they're damaged I don't know if they'll ever recover without more detail.

It's why I think "natural language" rules are bullshit, most of the time they're confusing and unclear. I prefer technical writing with keywords if necessary.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

TheSoundNinja posted:

...does this mean there should be a "make a not poo poo Anime RPG" design contest? The entrants would have to include an example scenario session to teach the unfamiliar the ways of whatever genre they choose.

Because arguing over Anime in RPGs is best fixed by making a solution, in my opinion.

He´s not wrong though, you know. TG might need another Competition Thread like the one from past October like "Make a-not-lovely Anime RPG". Despite its flawed premise, we could see some very interesting things come out of this =)....hmmm

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Yawgmoth posted:

Well "temporary heals, permanent does not" would work just as well, if not better since it the words provide obvious contrasts in the scope of the effect vs the implied difference between "damage" and "drain". Like kwyndig said, if you asked most people which one sounds worse they'd say they sound about the same or damage sounds maybe a bit worse. On another level it'd be sensible to integrate a hard line between levels where monsters deal temporary and permanent damage to a character's stats, so you would know based on the challenge level of the creature if it would pose that threat. But even 4e was loose with what level each status effect became common, so bleh.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Mr.Misfit posted:

He´s not wrong though, you know. TG might need another Competition Thread like the one from past October like "Make a-not-lovely Anime RPG". Despite its flawed premise, we could see some very interesting things come out of this =)....hmmm

It'd probably be cheating to use my unfinished Friendship, Effort, Victory game, wouldn't it? Then again, it'd probably lose.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Covok posted:

It'd probably be cheating to use my unfinished Friendship, Effort, Victory game, wouldn't it? Then again, it'd probably lose.

Under normal TG contest rules, yes, that would be cheating.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kwyndig posted:

It's why I think "natural language" rules are bullshit, most of the time they're confusing and unclear. I prefer technical writing with keywords if necessary.
But "ability damage" and "ability drain" are keyphrases that are used the same way every time they're used :psyduck:

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Covok posted:

Is it post-apocalyptic anime romance at a school for super mutants? Cause that would be the best.

Covok
May 27, 2013

NorgLyle posted:

Is it post-apocalyptic anime romance at a school for super mutants? Cause that would be the best.

No, but Ewen Cluney made that game already. You can find it on his blog, I think.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Mr.Misfit posted:

Then dibs on running a contest in February. I'll come up with an OP and some sort of prizes.

I'm totally in the "Universal systems aren't the best option" approach, so I'm thinking about randomly assigning the genres (like at the 48 hour film competitions), meaning you'll have to make an Anime RPG about just Giant Robots, or Magical Girls, or Slice of Life, but not a system that is designed to do all three.

How does that sound?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

TheSoundNinja posted:

Then dibs on running a contest in February. I'll come up with an OP and some sort of prizes.

We could use more contests so please do!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
RPG chat

Are there any historical RPGS? WW2? Air/naval?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Phi230 posted:

RPG chat

Plenty, WW2 is one of the more popular settings around

Also on the topic of Anime stuff, I really want a game that can properly emulate Digimon, as most existing "Mon" RPG systems or supplements focus on Pokemon style evolving if they include it at all

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Also on the topic of Anime stuff, I really want a game that can properly emulate Digimon, as most existing "Mon" RPG systems or supplements focus on Pokemon style evolving if they include it at all

That's my PTU hack but it's taking a while to fully finish.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

drrockso20 posted:

The only one I can seem to find is gurps

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Phi230 posted:

RPG chat

Most of the WW2 stuff I've found is "weird war" with Nazi Zombies and whatnot. As for Air/Naval...I've actually been looking myself! So far I've found Mercenary Air Squadron, Wild Blue: In Harm's Way, and Warbirds (which takes place in a Crimson Skies/Skies of Arcadia-esque Carribean, but also has WW2 and modern jet supplements).

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Davin Valkri posted:

Most of the WW2 stuff I've found is "weird war" with Nazi Zombies and whatnot. As for Air/Naval...I've actually been looking myself! So far I've found Mercenary Air Squadron, Wild Blue: In Harm's Way, and Warbirds (which takes place in a Crimson Skies/Skies of Arcadia-esque Carribean, but also has WW2 and modern jet supplements).

I would be down to do an Area 88 smooth jazz Mercenary thing

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Night Witches?

I haven't played it and have no idea how good it is but it's WWII women fighter pilots. I think it's *World? Probably also flubbing the name. I'm really only vaguely familiar that it's a thing that exists. Sorry.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Night Witches?

I haven't played it and have no idea how good it is but it's WWII women fighter pilots. I think it's *World? Probably also flubbing the name. I'm really only vaguely familiar that it's a thing that exists. Sorry.

CRUD! I knew I was forgetting one! Yeah, it's a PbtA game about the USSR's all-women 588th Night Bomber Regiment.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I have heard bad things about D20 Weird Wars II but if you can handle Savage Worlds, the Weird War II book looks very complete and has a sizable collection of vehicles in it. Honestly from a quick look you could easily ignore the supernatural aspect if you wanted.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O hey thanks for making me feel like I didn't make that up!

Is it any good?

I doubt I could coax my group to play it, but I'm interested in putting it with my other games to read and love but never get to run.

(PS a bunch of coworkers got crazy addicted to The Adventure Zone podcast and they came to me to get they're elfgames on : playing Dungeon World with them soon. Very excited to corrupt some newbs to story elfgaming. )

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Covok posted:

Friendship Effort: Victory Game already sounds like an anime.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

AlphaDog posted:

Friendship Effort: Victory Game already sounds like an anime.

it's name would be based on the shounen jump motto

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Elfgames posted:

it's name would be based on the shounen jump motto

Sometimes I'm happy when I don't get a joke.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

AlphaDog posted:

Sometimes I'm happy when I don't get a joke.

:agreed:

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Phi230 posted:

RPG chat

The Regiment is a pretty solid WW2 RPG that fits onto 12 pages and neatly models volume of fire, battle stress and regimental-level bureaucratic fuckups. It's a lot of fun. Other than that, GURPS and Night Witches are the only two I'd recommend. Grey Ranks is definitely a WW2 RPG but you'd have to be made of pretty stern stuff to find that fun, imo.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
It's more of a wartime than war game, but Last Train out of Warsaw is a pretty cool self contained one-shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Davin Valkri posted:

CRUD! I knew I was forgetting one! Yeah, it's a PbtA game about the USSR's all-women 588th Night Bomber Regiment.

That one is a really good game with the right group. I am playing it with four friends and it can get really harrowing at times. If the Apocalypse engine is not a problem you might want to give it a shot.

• Locked thread