Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
When did formations start to happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

When did formations start to happen?

Sometime in 6th, I think. They weren't so bad initially, but then things like the Decurion came out (and some of the crazier space marine ones) in 7th.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Formations came in 7th

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

NTRabbit posted:

Formations came in 7th

They came in during 6th actually, with the Necron codex.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Slimnoid posted:

kind of? The Necron codex was the last 6th ed codex and the first 7th ed codex. Formations showed up before that though, with some of the campaign books at the end of 6th edition. The Sanctus Reach campaign had them. It was basically right around the start of 7th

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I remember that Necron Decurion being the first harbinger, and that came out after the 7th rulebook dropped. Also the Necron code was in 7th, not 6th.

Also i'm pretty sure Orks were the first 7th codex, like 8 months before Necrons

e: Internet says Orks (6/14) was the first 7th codex, followed by Space Wolves (8/14), Grey Knights (9/14), Dark Eldar (10/14), Blood Angels (12/14), and then Necrons (2/15); Sanctus Reach came out after the Ork codex, in support of it.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 8, 2017

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
The creep did go on all the way through 3rd-4th edition. Orks were 9 points in 3rd, then their 4th/5th ed codex dropped them to 6 points. I'm pretty sure the rest of the armies all followed the same trend.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I probably got poo poo mixed up with Dataslates, of which there was quite a few of them during 6th.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Atlas Hugged posted:

But didn't the scope of the game start to change by 5e so that the number of figures you needed to play was way more?

5th was the start of GWs grand experiment of "maybe we should make the game objective based" and so it's not so much the scope of the game changed but more that infantry became useful because you needed troops to take and hold areas of the battlefield. Hence why the Chaos Marine list I mentioned was so good, you could just swarm over objectives and it would take an immense amount of pressure to get you off of them. TLOS was a huge mistake, and I'm still not a fan of how 5th suffered from Alessio's obsession with removing wargear and heavily streamlining armies.

To put things in perspective with how lovely GW is today, 5th was when they were pushing really hard so that every army had a 25USD core troop box, which was really nice when they started pushing for more infantry focus.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

The first formation was an Eldar one - 4xWrathguard, 2xWrathlord and a Wrathknight - granted a cover save to guardians behind them or something, came out around the time the Iyanden codex supplement did- then there was the Space Marine with 3 flyers that pretty much broke the game for me.
As an Eldar player, I could field a max of 3 flyers (in Fast Attack slots) and had bugger all other anti-air, but now Space Marines could have as many flyers as they wanted.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm Cruxis Crusade.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
Saint Celestine
The Living Saint

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Raisin the infinite.

Also doesn't dramatis personae just mean dramatic people?

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 9, 2017

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Think it's meant to be more Players In This Drama. If it ain't then GW aren't the only ones to gently caress up.

e: Sven bloodhowl is the most :effort: spwolves name.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Dramatis Personae is an actual term, it's not GW doing fake latin and loving it up. It refers, collectively, to the main characters of a play, book, whatever, typically dramas.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Safety Factor posted:

Dramatis Personae is an actual term, it's not GW doing fake latin and loving it up. It refers, collectively, to the main characters of a play, book, whatever, typically dramas.

lot of real cultured types in this thread, you can tell

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The Tarzan the Infinite soliloquy at the end of Act 2 is really good. Ironically, it ends with him crying to the heavens that Necrons will never truly die while the audience knows about the reduction in Necron UPCs.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 9, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

I was first exposed to the term through my sci-fi and fantasy novels.
:goonsay:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Safety Factor posted:

I was first exposed to the term through my sci-fi and fantasy novels.
:goonsay:

Neal Stephenson uses it a lot.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dramatis Personae was the second worst part of Michael Stackpole's Gary Stu X wing novels.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

TheChirurgeon posted:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Chill la Chill posted:

Dramatis Personae was the second worst part of Michael Stackpole's Gary Stu X wing novels.

it owned, actually

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Korahael, his full name shrouded in the dark mysteries of the dark angels,

Eandr
Oct 9, 2012
I like that the Defenders have a house raven, although I feel like a wild raven would be more use against the forces of Chaos.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Sven Bloodbowl,

a.k.a. the expat Swede who won't stop talking about his deadend league he started in the FLGS in 2006.

Seriously guys, hand in those result sheets for round 3 already.

Sven wants to set up for round 4, and John is moving out of town in like, three weeks.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Saint Drogo posted:

e: Sven bloodhowl is the most :effort: spwolves name.

Let me tell you about Murderfang "Murderfang" Murderfang, from planet Murderfang, lord of both murder and fang. His favorite weapons are his murderclaws, which are claws that are used to murder.

None of this is made up.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Murder Manus of the Murder Hands has literal murder hands.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Skeleton King posted:

Let me tell you about Murderfang "Murderfang" Murderfang, from planet Murderfang, lord of both murder and fang. His favorite weapons are his murderclaws, which are claws that are used to murder.

None of this is made up.

http://astrachaoswolf.blogspot.com/2014/07/40k-rules-review-space-wolf-dreadnaught.html?m=1

Don't forget his Murderlust rule.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So when is his murder trial? I mean he's basically admitted he's a murderer.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Leperflesh posted:

So when is his murder trial? I mean he's basically admitted he's a murderer.

Well, that's not valid evidence I don't think, although if it's his legal name it will probably bias the jury against him http://loweringthebar.net/2009/08/murder-convicted-of-murder-1.html

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

not to mention that it will be impossible to even find a jury since everyone has had a friend or family member murdered by him

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm Cruxis Crusade.

I'm Bloodbowl...I mean Bloodhowl.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

May you get a longer shelf life than your brother Bloodbowl.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Katarinya Greyfax's story is basically she was in statis and got awoken and is like "WTF is going on with the Wolf Dudes and psykers everywhere how is this even 40k anymore Games Workshop???"

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Greyfax is one of us, one of us, one of us...

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm Cruxis Crusade.

You were awesome in Spartacus: Blood and Sand

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Is GW still super litigious for no discernible reason?

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

CampingCarl posted:

Is GW still super litigious for no discernible reason?

No, GW is good now

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Yeah they lost in court so hard it broke the sound barrier, so they kind of cooled down a notch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

No, GW is good now

and cool

• Locked thread