Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

RatHat posted:

How did you get AB+ for free?

Buy ab+, install it, refund. You'll lose out on patches but I guess you can just buy it later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's a bad dlc but that's still real scummy dude

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I don't think they refunded it knowing they'd keep the DLC. (Or at least not Pants Donkey) But yeah, don't do that on purpose.

Chiming to agree a floor 1/2 Ragman is a nightmare.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Yeah I didn't do that on purpose

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Co-op Isaac is fun, I hope that attempt at an online multiplayer mod works.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Okay, so after playing it more it turns out that Greedier mode isn't super terrible; at least, Hyper Ultra Golden Greed or whatever his name is isn't too terrible. All you have to do for him is alternate corners. Just make sure your tears can reach the end of the room.

Greed mode still loving sucks and isn't fun though!

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I actually quite liked base greed mode, even if it was a bit too snowbally and trivial to break with the d20. Actually having a choice of items constantly was interesting. That said, it definitely didn't need a harder mode (and greed mode is already slightly harder now that voids and stone fatties can spawn as waves, making it easier to get overwhelmed).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the problem with Greed Mode is that there's too little variety in a lot of the waves, reducing its replay value. A lot of the challenge is also in the final boss which never changes. Adding extra content to it via mods (maybe including variable waves) would be good.

Actually I think the main game has this problem to some extent since you can learn all the rooms, more flexible room generation would be nice too.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
How do you break greed mode with the d20?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Ryuga Death posted:

Coins generate at the start of every wave. D20 rerolls coins into other consumables, including batteries and chests. Chests produce more consumables, batteries allow further rerolls. It takes very little effort to parlay this into infinite money, which in Greed Mode, means infinite items, and thus, infinite power.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ryuga Death posted:

Hit the button, kill all the waves, reroll the coins, go to town.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Get the d20, make sure there's a battery for sale in the shop. Do all the waves picking up as little money as possible (preferably none). Reroll the coins, buy a new charge before opening any chests (it rerolls empty chests that would vanish when you leave the room), open chests and grab any nickels and dimes, reroll, charge, repeat until the floor is covered with pickups and you have all the items and money you'll ever need.

Beaten more succintly.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Thanks, guys. Been playing this for so many hours yet I've never tried that. Sounds like a fun way to waste time.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Had the best Apollyon run ever. Started fairly basic at first but I quickly got both key pieces along with God Head. Shot though the boss rush, made it to Hush, took the light beam to the Cathedral, beat the Chest, beat Mega Satan, and then a portal to the Void appeared and I beat up Delirium.

Delirium is even buggier then before with some of his forms straight up not appearing or the non-reskined versions of the bosses he transforms into appearing. But the new death sequence for beating Delirium is pretty awesome. I only wish I could have done a Victory Lap afterwards.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

So the first time I went to the Void, upon killing a non-Delerium boss, I got a moment of static before a really brief scene of the lost floating up from the item pedestal or something. I fought Delerium next so I don't know if it was something that was supposed to happen with each boss.

I haven't seen it again on any other trip to the void even though I've had runs where I killed every non Delerium boss. Has anyone else seen this?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hey i got a dollar bill on the first floor of greed with apollyon nice

ended up getting unbreakable and controlled electric tears and the hover knife and the lil haunt guy so basically i can sit here and let poo poo ram itself to death against me

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Oxyclean posted:

So the first time I went to the Void, upon killing a non-Delerium boss, I got a moment of static before a really brief scene of the lost floating up from the item pedestal or something. I fought Delerium next so I don't know if it was something that was supposed to happen with each boss.

I haven't seen it again on any other trip to the void even though I've had runs where I killed every non Delerium boss. Has anyone else seen this?

I had that happen in a random room after almost killing Super Greed. It looked like a flashback with a static effect and then the room completely changed background. Also a lot of static/flashbacks occurred when I killed Delirium. I'm guessing it's part of Issac's life flashing before his eyes just how the level and boss represent that.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

rabidsquid posted:

those little ghosts make weird loving swerves when they get close so its sometimes easiest to dodge them by running in a straight line.

i don't have a ton of problems with haunt but it is annoying, but i would rather fight it than rag man every single time.

If you run towards them, but tapping the direction, they freeze or try to avoid you. The problem is you're really vulnerable to their shots if they can get one off in time.

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 9, 2017

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The static scenes are weird but there don't seem to be any secrets hidden in the files of Afterbirth+. It's probably just meant to be creepy.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The static scenes are weird but there don't seem to be any secrets hidden in the files of Afterbirth+. It's probably just meant to be creepy.

I figured, I just wasn't sure what the rhyme or reason to it was since I only saw it the once - I figured it was linked to Delerium since you get all the weird staticy swapping when you beat him.

I definitely dig what they were trying to go for with the Void and Delerium, although I think the void as a level could have stood to be a bit more unsettling or bizarre rather then just random rooms.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think it would be cooler if the individual rooms were messed up. Like a room that's half Dark Room, half Chest with some enemies from both.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So, how would you lot redesign the Void as a floor to make it cooler? It's neat in concept but kinda falls apart in practice because most of the rooms are from floors you beat when you were much weaker, making them downright trivial.

I can see a few possibilities:
MINIMUM EFFORT: The current design, but with portals in place of pretty much every enemy. It's at least different, and it makes sense for those portals to show up more in the Void than anywhere else. The portals should be able to spawn enemies from any floor.
LOW EFFORT: Reskinned rooms from other floors. Like a Basement room with assets from the Womb. Still pretty lazy, but at least provides a feeling of weirdness and wrongness to the proceedings.
SOME EFFORT: Rooms from other floors, but with assets and enemies from the wrong floors, and new enemy layouts designed to be harder in unexpected ways. Shows some thought, provides a twist on the familiar, and creates a sense of wrongness.
LEGIT EFFORT: A mix of the above; start in a familiar room, but occasionally, upon completion (or even partway through), you get fuzzy tv static, and then it changes to a "wrong" version of the same room, with assets and enemies from other (usually mismatched) floors and an enemy layout that is much harder. The longer you spend on the floor, the more frequently this happens. Eventually, portals start to periodically open up around you in addition to the new layouts. Take long enough, and portals will even begin to spawn in completed rooms. This really emphasizes the decay of Isaac's world and his succumbing to delirium, provides a mounting sense of chaos and wrongness, and keeps you alert and always moving since you don't necessarily know when these effects will strike. It would probably be the hardest to program, but for me, it would legit take the Void from "meh" to ":iia:" territory.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
After having not checked BoI news in a few months I suddenly noticed that Afterbirth + already came out!!!

Is it good/better than Afterbirth and is there anything I should absolutely know before trying it out?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I'm 2 for 4 on Delirium now. My first impression is that the room is too big for the fight. You can't keep track of him with his much faster movement and frequent teleporting.

The first time I beat him I used a Perks pill and the second time I had the Stopwatch slowing down his bullet spam. Maybe if I fight him enough I'll get used to him like I did with Hush but for now I can't see winning that fight without really good defenses.

Of the other new bosses, Big Horn is a goddamn damage sponge and Mega Rags is basically Duke of Flies but worse. Both have too-long periods where they won't take any damage. Vis Sisters are much more tolerable after the patch.

Also, Tech 2 had bad synergy with the new Lead Pencil. You don't fire any tears at all, just the laser. Lead Pencil by itself is pretty fun.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

How Rude posted:

After having not checked BoI news in a few months I suddenly noticed that Afterbirth + already came out!!!

Is it good/better than Afterbirth and is there anything I should absolutely know before trying it out?

I disliked it enough to uninstall it.

It's just... so bad.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Your Computer posted:

I disliked it enough to uninstall it.

It's just... so bad.

oh... that's too bad :geno:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Honestly I would wait, for the following 2 reasons:

1. It just came out, to a pretty tepid release, and they're still ironing out all the kinks. Stuff like item balancing, some real horseshit rooms, general difficulty, bugs that are sometimes game-breaking in nature, all things that they just didn't test enough (by developer admission) and are now doing away with. Eventually it will be in a state where the balance between good additions and annoying ones is pretty even, to create a simple good expansion. But right now it's just not that.

2. The modding scene has been totally renewed what with the new modding system and all, but the documentation they made for it is just terrible. That means it's gonna take a while before any really interesting/game-changing mods start cropping up because people have to figure out how everything works for themselves.

Buying it now is basically the equivalent of beta testing the expansion.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I mean, I just bought it anyway because it was like $6 and I still had $5 sitting in my Steam wallet.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
AB+ is not as essential as getting Rebirth or even Afterbirth, you can chill on that and not miss out on much.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well if you end up having fun with it then none of what I said really matters. But I still mean it when I say that Afterbirth+ is really stretching the definition of "completed".

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

How Rude posted:

It's good, but it's not for everyone. It makes the game harder, both in the sense of having new things to learn, and just straight up being more difficult than Afterbirth. I would not recommend it if you're not okay with the game being harder than it already is. Also, it helps to be able to laugh at occasional bullshit, some of which may or may not get patched out in the future.

Also, don't expect a huge revamp. It's not like Antibirth with a whole parallel level progression or anything like that. There's a good amount of new content, but the overall experience is basically more of the same.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If you decide to not get afterbirth+ but still want some new Isaac stuff to play, a fan expansion called antibirth also got released a few weeks ago and it's really good.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's stuff in AB+ that's harder... but most of it is not the fun kind of hard. A lot of the additions are extremely tedious, and there's more unfair damage and flight/damage checks than ever before. Also the quality and creativity of the content pales in comparison to Antibirth. The new bosses suck (the end boss is interesting, but still extremely bugged and unfair even after patching) and a lot of the new items are really uninteresting. The new character is literally just a vessel for one of the new items, otherwise he's just default.

It did add the mod tools which have the potential to be used by us fans to fix some of this bullshit, but as of right now they're both badly documented and critically lacking in what's actually possible to do with them. Don't expect any of this to change anytime soon (and honestly, considering their track record I would not be surprised if Nicalis just dropped it and said "nah we're done" like they have before).

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i hate ultra greed, too much hp!

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
From a modding and (amateur) coding perspective this video just made my eyes go wider and wider in confusion and horror. This is stuff that you don't just lose track of mid-development because "geez there's so many things in this game now and what's a git repository."

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Ryuga Death posted:

Thanks, guys. Been playing this for so many hours yet I've never tried that. Sounds like a fun way to waste time.

Going to reiterate the whole process here with some added improvements:

1) Restart game until a d20 is in the first shop
2) Clear the first floor, pick up all the coins and buy the d20 and whatever you need to survive the 2nd floor
3) You want the 2nd floor shop to have a consumable battery in it. Pick up only enough coins on the 2nd floor so that you can afford the battery + any coins you need to reroll the shop until it contains a battery. If you can't get a battery before you run out of coins, feel free to either try on the next floor or just restart the game
4) Do the d20 trick mentioned above: use the d20 to reroll all the coins on the ground. Open all the chests and pick up only the following items: one key for each golden chest you need to open, one Skeleton key (so you can open golden chests without having to pick up keys), nickels, dimes, Jera runes, and any coins you need to get up to 5 coins to buy batteries. Use the Jera rune to immediately double the number of pickups on the ground. Do NOT pick up Bumbo or any magnet item/trinket from golden chests! These will make doing this way harder because Bumbo will eat your coins and magnet items will make you collect items you don't want to.
5) Once you have a ton of items on the ground, find a 2 of Diamonds and a Chaos Card and drop them in a side room or the shop so that you don't reroll them.
6) Keep buying items with your infinite money until you get a Blank Card
7) Once you have the Blank Card + 2 of Diamonds, you can go and pick up everything in the main room; you won't need to do the d20 rerolls anymore. Stay in the shop and just keep doubling your money with the Blank Card, keep buying items, and keep buying batteries. Just make sure you never drop below 11 coins.

Make sure you go to the Ultra Greed fight with 99 coins to donate and the Chaos Card to insta kill him (if you want). You can donate more than 99 coins by also taking a Glowing Hourglass with a Battery (the item, not the consumable) and charging it to be double charged. Kill Greed, use Hourglass, donate all coins, repeat. Eventually the machine will jam after one or two coins at which point you can go do it all again on another character!

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Your Computer posted:

The new character is literally just a vessel for one of the new items, otherwise he's just default.

I don't get this complaint; isn't this true of nearly every character already? Maggie, Samson, Judas, even Isaac with the d6 are all 'the regular gameplay, but with a special item and some stat tweaks.' That's how almost every single character works. Not Azazel or the Lost or Keeper granted, but it's not really something to complain about.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

John Lee posted:

I don't get this complaint; isn't this true of nearly every character already? Maggie, Samson, Judas, even Isaac with the d6 are all 'the regular gameplay, but with a special item and some stat tweaks.' That's how almost every single character works. Not Azazel or the Lost or Keeper granted, but it's not really something to complain about.

I mostly meant in comparison to Antibirth and also the other newer characters like Azazel and Lilith.

However I feel like the characters you mention at least have a niche. Maggie has more health but is really slow, meaning she's a bit of a tank (and sucks). Judas has ridiculously high damage (amplified by his item) but ridiculously low health. Samson.. he's pretty lame. He used to be cooler (and broken as heck) back when he came out. Isaac is the default, so uh, yeah he's pretty default.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

Your Computer posted:

Maggie has more health but is really slow

She's one of the fastest characters now, since she always starts with a speed up pill, which brings her to the standard starting movespeed of 1, and then she'll always have speed up pills identified

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Maaaan, I thought I had finally figured out how to make Isaac fire more tears by assigning my own positional variables, but it went wrong because this game was coded by insane people.

The only possible way I could figure out how to make Isaac fire more tears with lua, is to make the player fire when the tear delay is set to 0. In layman's terms, it's simply when the player is able to fire. The tear delay is automatically set to 0 when the player stops shooting, which makes sense. Can you shoot a tear when you hit a fire button? Ok, the tear delay was set to 0. If you can't shoot, it's not 0.

But for some reason, when the tear delay is set to 0 by the player ceasing fire, any actions you set to happen when it is 0 do not trigger next time you shoot. So just having it be at 0 and then pressing a fire button doesn't trigger the action, the player has to currently be firing when it hits 0 for the action to trigger.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 9, 2017