Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Exploring Xenoblade X on foot is honestly the most fun I've ever had exploring in a game ever. There's so much interesting geography, the world is so absurdly vast and the presence of avoidable high level/size enemies added a real element of danger you wouldn't normally get from a standard RPG. If they'd just stuck to ground-based combat and exploration Xenoblade X would have been one of my GOTYs 2015, rather than the bitterest disappointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
That's true, but once of the big selling points was getting to fly an awesome giant robot. I think this was a good game with some glaring weaknesses, and I like it, but don't like it enough to buy it again unless there are some transformative new features. I wouldn't mind a sequel or DLC that focused on humanity surviving now that the immediate threat is gone. Maybe something like a 4X mode where you build and expand cities, start mines and farms, and try to rebuild humanity from the tiny population on Mira.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I think they should've left out the mechs. Sure, they're neat but ultimately breaks the foot exploration of the game. Instead they should've given you like a super jump or limited use jet pack to get to more contentious areas. I loved exploring XBX on foot.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

multijoe posted:

Exploring Xenoblade X on foot is honestly the most fun I've ever had exploring in a game ever. There's so much interesting geography, the world is so absurdly vast and the presence of avoidable high level/size enemies added a real element of danger you wouldn't normally get from a standard RPG. If they'd just stuck to ground-based combat and exploration Xenoblade X would have been one of my GOTYs 2015, rather than the bitterest disappointment.

Yeah, I admit that XCX is sort of my standard for judging open world maps now. It's made FF15 kinda difficult to get into, because there's not much out there in the world worth seeing.

In retrospect one of the things that really works for me in XCX is the map grid. Each hex having its own objective helped promote exploration, or rather it helped encourage me to explore.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I'd honestly buy a Switch port of XCX if the additions and changes make the game feel smoother for the combat. Though the soul voice RNG is always going to be an issue.

Psycho Landlord posted:

It's not so much that mech combat is in need of a rework, it's the way late game is balanced that needs to be looked at. Too much emphasis on one-shot weapons thanks to how powerful everything gets past a certain level, and the tools to counteract that power normally (anti spike and element augs, etc) are waaay too tedious to farm for a lot of people.

This is the issue I ran in to in the end. Though a switch port would go quicker since I'd know what nav points to ignore until I have a skell, or flight itself, bee-line to level 4 for the nav beacon skill, actually take certain characters on missions so I can unlock their later missions without being forced to grind forever for it (like the DLC(?) girl someone mentioned previously for a cheap to make skell to sell for cash)...etc.

Mech combat is fundamentally broken though. Hit level 30, jump in an Amadusias, murder level 45+ enemies to get a dozen levels at breakneck speed... maybe push to 50 and then buy a level 50 Amadusias once you have the cash.

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

The way I played XCX & what IMO is the optimal way to explore, is I went absolutely everywhere I could possibly go on foot before getting the skell and then before getting the flight module. There's a ton of interesting stuff and ways you can get into places you wouldn't expect and they have a really different feel from flying around. That made the jump in power and how you interact with the environment really feel like a big leap in progression and "poo poo getting real", now this huge world I've mastered seems much smaller kinda deal.

Same, except for a couple enemy bases that were just too high a level to deal with, and they didn't have geography flaws(?) that let you get inside without a fight. When the first FFXV trailer came out it honestly looked less impressive than XCX when trying to show off the open world.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I don't think I'd buy a re-release unless they reduce the grind for getting augments, weapons, and mechs in the postgame. There's really no need for it in a single player game.

Louisgod posted:

I think they should've left out the mechs. Sure, they're neat but ultimately breaks the foot exploration of the game. Instead they should've given you like a super jump or limited use jet pack to get to more contentious areas. I loved exploring XBX on foot.

I couldn't support ditching the mechs because they're rad as hell. I'd love it if you got a jet pack or super jump as well though, coupled with quests that require you to ditch your mech and explore/scale an area

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Where'd that Xenoblade Chronicles X Aftermath rumor even come from? I'm not finding anything, so i'm just assuming it's a straight port rather than adding stuff.

I think the use of mechs for exploration is fine given how far into the game they come. The mech combat is pretty dire, it's fun but doesn't have any legs for the tons of hours of game they become vital for. Even with drastic improvements I don't see myself going to XCX again, I got my fill. Maybe if I can import my gamefile and do new post-game stories on top of clearing content I had missed.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Conceptually the skells are the coolest part of XBX but they do need to tweak their mechanics a bit for the sequel (which I hope will be coming)
I just wish that other jrpg developers didn't try to emulate XBX (square with the vast dull openness of FFXV, Namco with newer tales)) because they always gently caress it up (moving around is a slog, there's no advantage to exploring the world, it's all dull and tedious poo poo)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I could take or leave skell combat but what I really want is for the quest marker to point you toward the enemies that drop things, more reliable drops, less random field items, and c'mon make the encyclopedia in your pause menu contain as much information as it should

and let me set Noctilum Day as the flight music

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Looper posted:

and let me set Noctilum Day as the flight music

Same, but also the theme that seems to play only during the squad selection menu.

Edit: This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmUeqMnWmDY

It's understandable if one doesn't recognize it, considering most people won't just sit at squad selection for long enough for the song to really start up. I think it also plays in like, one cutscene during the main game?

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 9, 2017

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Same, but also the theme that seems to play only during the squad selection menu.

Edit: This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmUeqMnWmDY

It's understandable if one doesn't recognize it, considering most people won't just sit at squad selection for long enough for the song to really start up. I think it also plays in like, one cutscene during the main game?

It plays during a cutscene when you're in the command center - I remember because it's so much louder than the actual dialogue.

...I guess we should add "Better audio balance" to the list of things a port would need.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The next Xenoblade game needs to go back to XC's music style either way. XCX had some decent music on its own but compared to XC's soundtrack it's not even close. Especially any track with vocals.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

No way man, I know I'm on the minority on this but I love songs with vocals way more than ones without. I like Uncontrollable more than You Will Know Our Names, and Noctilum Day is my favorite field theme of both games.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The vocals in the music of XBX were embarrassingly terrible, I don't care what anybody says. Nonsensical shoehorned story driven lyrics that lacked depth and got old after the first time on a two minute loop is not a good fit for a game where you have to hear the songs dozens of times over. Having the mech song start and stop every time you did something mech related was a terrible design choice.

That said, the main overworld themes during the night and day were really good. Noctilum's main theme needed another three minutes tacked on to it as the loop was too short but really outside that, the main zone's themes were memorable and blended well with the game.

Give me the chanting mantra you heard in themes like Satorl Marsh night and the main XBX theme any day over "THE WIND B-ROWS HARD IN DECEMBER" 10th grade poem quality lyrics and I'll be happy. How anybody could choose the music in XBX over the beautifully layered music put together by some of the same people that scored old Final Fantasy games is beyond me.

Ace+ is amazing and I hope they bring them back for a new Xenoblade game. Their Iwata Asks interview is an interesting read.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/xenoblade/0/0

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I dug a good chunk of the soundtrack, and some of the buttrock lyrics were fun, but it's definitely a step-down from XC. Hell, if you're remotely into anime there's a chance you'd get tired on XCX since the composer is Hiroyuki Sawano, composer of Anime-rear end Anime Music.

Mixing and the use of the music in general should be improved, and lyric-less versions of tracks have to play in most voiced cutscenes, it's stupid to have lyrics and someone speaking. Starting the main battle theme at different times would also help.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Louisgod posted:

The vocals in the music of XBX were embarrassingly terrible, I don't care what anybody says. Nonsensical shoehorned story driven lyrics that lacked depth and got old after the first time on a two minute loop is not a good fit for a game where you have to hear the songs dozens of times over. Having the mech song start and stop every time you did something mech related was a terrible design choice.

That said, the main overworld themes during the night and day were really good. Noctilum's main theme needed another three minutes tacked on to it as the loop was too short but really outside that, the main zone's themes were memorable and blended well with the game.

Give me the chanting mantra you heard in themes like Satorl Marsh night and the main XBX theme any day over "THE WIND B-ROWS HARD IN DECEMBER" 10th grade poem quality lyrics and I'll be happy. How anybody could choose the music in XBX over the beautifully layered music put together by some of the same people that scored old Final Fantasy games is beyond me.

Ace+ is amazing and I hope they bring them back for a new Xenoblade game. Their Iwata Asks interview is an interesting read.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/xenoblade/0/0

that''s just sawano's style dude

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

HELLO

IS THIS THING ON

AM I ALL ALONE

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Uncontrollable owns and I pity those who are too dead inside to enjoy anime buttrock.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I actually like the goofy buttrock but what it really needs to do is have a trigger to switch from a instrumental version of the song to a vocal version at appropriate situations (or vice-versa.) Vocal songs work best when they queue up at the right moment for poo poo to feel awesome, which is why Metal Gear Rising has the best vocals in games.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, dynamic cues for the vocals are good, but that might run into the issue of some fights being too short for those transitions.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I was grinning like an idiot the first time I got into combat after unlocking skells because of how ridiculous the music was, but It did get old after a while. If there was a good way to balance the vocals and instrumental tracks, it'd be perfect. Something like the vocal track kicks in against certain enemies or has a 1/20 chance to play.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

The intro for Uncontrollable owns as a cue that you've caught a Tyrant's attention, and the chorus is so over the top it works in a really amazing way.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

damnit im totally gonna rebuy all my wiiu games on switch, you win again reggie

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

(except mario kart 8)

edit whoops wrong thread

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Where'd that Xenoblade Chronicles X Aftermath rumor even come from? I'm not finding anything, so i'm just assuming it's a straight port rather than adding stuff.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MOlzz3s4jnik8lKLjNa8vLPyEFv35jNqqdJghIEk4mg/mobilebasic

A lot of BS but I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff.

Also best song
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylu7dpn76ss

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Oh, this is hyper-fake. I love digging for fake rumors, but between Eurogamer, Emily Rogers and Laura Kate Dale (specially LKD) we got most of the Switch stuff known pretty well.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

chumbler posted:

Yeah, dynamic cues for the vocals are good, but that might run into the issue of some fights being too short for those transitions.

This game would have been soooo much better with dynamic cues for most of the music. I learned to hate the flight music after doing at lot of landing and jumping in quick succession. Should've done something else less jarring instead, like adding extra instruments or vocals to a continent's music when you were flying.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Pretty much every music track was great in the original Xenoblade except the battle music on Bionis. Mechanical Rhythm was a fantastic battle theme and Valak Mountain night was probably my favorite track overall.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

the worst battle theme in both games is the music that plays when you're ambushed. They're going for "tense" but the themes are just irritating

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

This game would have been soooo much better with dynamic cues for most of the music. I learned to hate the flight music after doing at lot of landing and jumping in quick succession. Should've done something else less jarring instead, like adding extra instruments or vocals to a continent's music when you were flying.

Some Yoshi bongos would be pretty choice

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Music and skell combat aside, I'd like to have seen a bit of a rework done with how on-foot combat skills were set up; specifically, I'd like to see things like most auras and buffs no longer be bound to the weapon they're learned on. Admittedly, my motive is pretty-princess based, but it would be nice to not be locked to dual guns for Primer and Ghostwalker.

It'd also be nice if other weapon types got their equivalent to the Longsword superweapons, or at least overhaul the crafted stuff so it wasn't effectively useless.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Unoriginal One posted:

Music and skell combat aside, I'd like to have seen a bit of a rework done with how on-foot combat skills were set up; specifically, I'd like to see things like most auras and buffs no longer be bound to the weapon they're learned on. Admittedly, my motive is pretty-princess based, but it would be nice to not be locked to dual guns for Primer and Ghostwalker.

It'd also be nice if other weapon types got their equivalent to the Longsword superweapons, or at least overhaul the crafted stuff so it wasn't effectively useless.

Are they? I thought most/all buffs and auras were not weapon bound? I'm pretty sure I mastered Striker and then used its buffs while I went through the Commando classes. I definitely had longsword and dual sword buffs/auras in use together.

I'm definitely on board with overhauling the crafted stuff. I never saw much point to it when you could dump all your resources in to a corporation of your choice, unlocking higher quality versions of their gear, and said gear was generally better than whatever you'd have crafted for most of the game. Or you farm enemies for other gear, like XP boosting headgear or whatever, when you want/need a bonus that purchased gear doesn't have.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I bought a Wii U for XCX and really loved it, but agree with all the criticisms. Skells should have had incredibly limited jump fuel until postgame, and they should have simply reduced the gameplay to an FPS in skells or something if they weren't able to make the combat as engaging as it was on foot.

I won't buy a switch just for a remake, I'll need an actual sequel for xenoblade to be a system seller for me.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

XENOBLADE 2 AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

U-DO Burger posted:

:same:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

U-DO Burger posted:

:gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz:

Please be a launch title or close to it.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_ouXdC19Tk

I'd like this game, please

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
call my dick the monado because you this is its fuckiung POWERRRRR

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
I wish they could stick to a consistent character design, maybe one that isn't so ridiculously anime looking.

But idgaf im gonna play the poo poo outta that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I like how credits they show are for the character design and music team.

• Locked thread