Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jurgan posted:

It's good to be skeptical of official sources, but rejecting them without question is just as dumb as accepting them without question. Conspiracy theorists love to act like they're smarter than the mainstream sheeple, but all they do is substitute Alex Jones or Breitbart in the place of "people I always trust."

Also wasn't the WMD intelligence was essentially fabricated by the Bush administration who wanted to go to war with Iraq from the beginning? So it wasn't Bush acting on bad info.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RC1Mepk_Sw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I know far too many people in real life that think this way. Many times I've been "accused" of being gay because I've said gays should have the same marriage rights I have. When I follow up their accusation with a simple "Why do I have to be gay to want others to be happy?" they generally have no response. I truly believe they've never thought it through because they are trapped in some homophobic echo chamber.

These same people will wrap themselves in the mantle of endless compassion and generosity, and draw themselves as ultimately peaceful and benevolent - despite never once in their lives performing even the least of actions exemplifying these virtues.

Crocuta
Nov 6, 2004
wakkawa

The Ape of Naples posted:

Also wasn't the WMD intelligence was essentially fabricated by the Bush administration who wanted to go to war with Iraq from the beginning? So it wasn't Bush acting on bad info.

They rejected intel that said Saddam had no active WMDs and embraced intel that said he did. One Iraqi defector told them that Saddam had destroyed his WMDs and was ignored (when he was lured back to Iraq, he was killed by the regime). Chablai or whoever swore up and down that there were active WMDs in Iraq and that got put in the reports. It's like policy dictates intelligence and not the other way around.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe
Dees is going to have to crank up the output if he wants to catch Garrison in the batshit department.

Skulls really should come with a warning label.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

So is Michael loving Ramirez the only conservative pundit who is consistently anti-Assange? What a world we live in.

One of the compliments I could give Ramirez is that he's consistent. I often get the feeling that guys like Garrison aren't as deep in the pit as they actually want you to believe and are cashing in on political movements, but I think Ramirez has beliefs and specifically voices them, whatever they may be.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Yes, I suppose that is the pertinent bits of the Obama legacy if you're a well off white dude in a coastal state with a constant fixation on how the only correct person is you and a total inability to comprehend scale or context, Tedd Rall :fuckoff:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Plan Z posted:

One of the compliments I could give Ramirez is that he's consistent. I often get the feeling that guys like Garrison aren't as deep in the pit as they actually want you to believe and are cashing in on political movements, but I think Ramirez has beliefs and specifically voices them, whatever they may be.

I know I asked before but has he actually made a cartoon featuring a caricature of Trump yet? I feel like he was looking forward to at least four years of drawing Hillary again and getting to sidestep the issue of Trump entirely but I don't know how much longer he can put it off.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Goddamn but the Soviet Union is alive in the hearts of cartoonists.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

R.I.P.
100's of
millions
dead due
to Barack
Obama's
invention,
Middle East

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

The Ape of Naples posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RC1Mepk_Sw

Though the so-called intelligence information was cherry picked and already debunked before it was presented to the United Nations, there's no need for speculation since weapons inspectors were sent to Iraq and failed to find the "thousands of tons" of Sarin gas, botulism toxin, and so on. Bush publicly said that Saddam is "deceiving the inspectors!" and ordered the invasion.

Democrats did a great job bringing those responsible to war crimes hearings. :geno:

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Garrison posted:

Remember how racism was supposed to be over when he was elected? The racial division was made much worse under his leadership.

NO SANE PERSON SAID THIS, AND THE INCREASED RACISM IS YOU

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jurgan posted:

It's good to be skeptical of official sources, but rejecting them without question is just as dumb as accepting them without question. Conspiracy theorists love to act like they're smarter than the mainstream sheeple, but all they do is substitute Alex Jones or Breitbart in the place of "people I always trust."

I think this is a bit of an oversimplification. If Alex Jones and Breitbart and the like all came out one day and said "actually we were wrong, Trump is awful and a puppet of the Soviet Union trying to bring communism to the United States, we should have gone with notorious blue dog Democrat Hillary, who is awesome like Sarah Palin and doesn't molest children at all", then I don't think their followers would go along with it; I think they'd denounce Alex Jones, Breitbart, etc as part of the conspiracy. I don't think the conspiracy theorists blindly follow their leaders; I think that their leaders have successfully figured out the narrative that they want to hear.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

TheBigAristotle posted:

NO SANE PERSON SAID THIS, AND THE INCREASED RACISM IS YOU

Yeah literally the only people who said racism was over were right wing assholes who thought blacks should universally stop complaining about racism because one black man became president.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

21 Muns posted:

I think this is a bit of an oversimplification. If Alex Jones and Breitbart and the like all came out one day and said "actually we were wrong, Trump is awful and a puppet of the Soviet Union trying to bring communism to the United States, we should have gone with notorious blue dog Democrat Hillary, who is awesome like Sarah Palin and doesn't molest children at all", then I don't think their followers would go along with it; I think they'd denounce Alex Jones, Breitbart, etc as part of the conspiracy. I don't think the conspiracy theorists blindly follow their leaders; I think that their leaders have successfully figured out the narrative that they want to hear.
Yeah but the problem is that no matter how much they play the greatest hits to the audience, there will still be one person in the audience who will start denouncing them as shills who will start their own movement. They're hosed no matter what, movements mutate and twist and change and turn and bite the hand that feeds. There will always be a schism, for better or for worse, and pandering will never solve that especially due to how much easier it is to start your own thing in this day and age.
Nice.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

"Michelle is secretly a man!" will be among the weirder right wing conspiracy theories.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Republicans posted:

I know I asked before but has he actually made a cartoon featuring a caricature of Trump yet?

Yes...

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ramirez is still in Bush-era neocon shill mode and doesn't know how to process Trump so the best he can do is say liberals are also bad.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Ramirez is still in Bush-era neocon shill mode and doesn't know how to process Trump so the best he can do is say liberals are also bad.

At least he isn't joining gruppenführer Garrison in his shameless felating of the Drumpster. Gotta give him that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pants Donkey posted:

"Michelle is secretly a man!" will be among the weirder right wing conspiracy theories.

"Will be"?

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe
Do I want to know what "Bh Burger" is supposed to mean? Pretty sure it isn't "Bal Harbor".

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Sandpuppy posted:

Do I want to know what "Bh Burger" is supposed to mean? Pretty sure it isn't "Bal Harbor".

Barack Hussein, I guess.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the state of the NHS – Theresa May acknowledges huge pressures on NHS but rejects claim that there exists a ‘humanitarian crisis’ in health care" Also Theresa May to stake Tory claim as party of social justice - PM’s speech will set out her vision of ‘shared society’ in move that reclaims popular elements of leadership bid

Telegraph:

Boris Johnson meets Donald Trump's team in New York

Independent:

Times:

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Sandpuppy posted:

It stands for Burger Heaven, you can see it in a couple spots in the cartoon.

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

Sandpuppy posted:

"Barack hussein" is my best guess :barf:

e: beaten AND proven wrong

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Oh yeahhhhh, I remember these two now. Never saw those others, though.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Not a political cartoon, but it's a cartoon, and political.

We live in a hosed up era.

Red Ryder
Apr 20, 2006

oh dang

Samurai Sanders posted:

To the next generation Twitter really will be seen as synonymous with Trump, won't it? And maybe to the end of America as a superpower.

Do the people at Twitter ever talk about this in meetings?

This is from pages back, but my sister works for Twitter and from what I understand they really chafe at the association. He is destroying their brand and driving away advertisers.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Red Ryder posted:

He is destroying their brand and driving away advertisers.
The gently caress was the Twitter "brand" before he came along? Who was going "yeah, this is a great platform for productive communication"?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Xander77 posted:

The gently caress was the Twitter "brand" before he came along? Who was going "yeah, this is a great platform for productive communication"?

It was just a fun social media platform. But their association with the alt-right neo-nazis harassing people actually prevented twitter from being sold last year. That's why they finally started trying to police it a little bit and kicked Milo Yiannopolous off.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Xander77 posted:

Racists, kkk members, neo nazis and other deplorables that you hadn't heard of.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Begemot posted:

It was just a fun social media platform. But their association with the alt-right neo-nazis harassing people actually prevented twitter from being sold last year. That's why they finally started trying to police it a little bit and kicked Milo Yiannopolous off.

They suspended Martin Shkreli the other day for being incredibly creepy towards a female reporter.

Twitter used to be the place to go for light, quick bites of things. Comedians posting one-liners, celebrities posting bits of their off-camera life, FYAD posters being surreal, the possibility that a famous person might spy something you wrote and dash off a personal reply to it. But these days everyone knows the chance of an army of shitheads descending on you is too high and rising.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

sirtommygunn posted:

It stands for Burger Heaven, you can see it in a couple spots in the cartoon.

I guess so, but it seems oddly specific. There's already a "Burger Heaven" and their logo looks nothing like that. I already figured it wasn't "Barack Hussein", since the H would be the bold letter in that case.

Just seems weird for Ramirez to put the effort into making a logo like that that doesn't also drop a sick Obama burn.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Meanwhile, in Russian political cartoon news:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btLZwPtYAE4

Yes, that's an actual, real thing.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Red Ryder posted:

This is from pages back, but my sister works for Twitter and from what I understand they really chafe at the association. He is destroying their brand and driving away advertisers.

So why don't they ban him?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Who What Now posted:

Omg imagine the shitstorm.

DO IT, DO IT YOU SUNSABITCHES!

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Who What Now posted:

Why haven't they banned any of the other maniacs who threaten or brag about raping people? Why don't they ban any of the Nazis that say they're going to track people down and murder them? Why didn't they prevent a potential nuclear holocaust by banning Trump a year ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Who What Now posted:

When you're famous they let you do what ever you want.

• Locked thread