Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Like Jell-O
May 19, 2004
I really do.

Lysandus posted:

BMW: me?

I'm a few weeks away from buying a new Tacoma because I want something new for once.

For most cars, buying new works out to be about the same value as buying used as long you plan on driving the vehicle into the ground either way. Some classes of vehicles are clearly better to buy used (like luxury cars), and some are clearly better new (i.e. the Honda Fit). Most other cars fall pretty much in the middle. I haven't looked at the truck market, but it's most likely not as bad of a financial decision as some people might imply.

If you're the type of person who has to get a different car every 3-5 years, however, it's better to buy used. The biggest advantage to buying new is needing to replace your car less often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

WampaLord posted:

Not asking and not knowing leads to people getting screwed over in salary negotiations. Another way to keep the working man down.

Yeah being ashamed of how much you make or talking openly about money is a really horrible cultural thing that needs to be stamped out and thankfully basically everyone in my generation that I know thinks it's completely bullshit and only serves to reenforce power structures that gently caress you over.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

Business in the US has spent generations building a stigma around sharing salary information because sharing that information helps labor and cuts into the profits of the stakeholders. Many places will fire for it or at least make it sound like you'll get fired for it despite doing so being illegal, because how are you going to prove in court that that's the reason (if you can even afford to bring the case to trial)?

My company is nice enough to write down in several places, signed by executives, that you're not allowed to discuss salary with other employees so at the very least I can bring all those documents to the NLRB and go "uh yeah guys look at this bullshit" if it ever comes up.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Empress Brosephine posted:

i wouldnt buy anything before 2016, that was the previous generaiton so it'd be harder /expensive to get replacement parts for it. 2016 was the first year they did a refresh.

Those Tacomas were the same for over a decade. You will never not find parts for them. Also older cars tend to have cheaper replacement parts. Not saying you shouldn't buy a new car.

Inept fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 9, 2017

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Lysandus posted:

BMW: me?

I'm a few weeks away from buying a new Tacoma because I want something new for once.

Can you afford a new Tacoma while still meeting your other financial goals?

If so, then go for it!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

Can you afford a new Tacoma while still meeting your other financial goals?

If so, then go for it!

Of course, just look at that low monthly payment!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I Like Jell-O posted:

For most cars, buying new works out to be about the same value as buying used as long you plan on driving the vehicle into the ground either way. Some classes of vehicles are clearly better to buy used (like luxury cars), and some are clearly better new (i.e. the Honda Fit). Most other cars fall pretty much in the middle. I haven't looked at the truck market, but it's most likely not as bad of a financial decision as some people might imply.

If you're the type of person who has to get a different car every 3-5 years, however, it's better to buy used. The biggest advantage to buying new is needing to replace your car less often.

I ended up buying a new Tacoma in 2014 because it was only marginally cheaper to buy used plus a pain in the rear end to even find one. They don't stay on the lot for very long, and they seem to hold their value pretty well.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

ate all the Oreos posted:

My company is nice enough to write down in several places, signed by executives, that you're not allowed to discuss salary with other employees so at the very least I can bring all those documents to the NLRB and go "uh yeah guys look at this bullshit" if it ever comes up.

There's no law against telling employees to not discuss salary. In fact, there's no law against telling employees that you'll fire them for discussing their salary.

There is a law against actually firing someone for discussing their salary, but good luck proving that you weren't fired for showing up 1 minute late instead. Always discuss your salary with coworkers but only when you're not at work and only when there's no management around.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
I don't know where we landed with Costco chat, but in CA you can buy Alcohol there without a membership card. I think it varies state to state, but if you walk up and tell them you're buying alcohol they'll let you in. I've had a couple of experiences where employees don't know the rules, but it's never been a major hassle.

EDIT: Works in the following states: Arizona, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Indiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Texas and Vermont.
Source: https://consumerist.com/2009/01/05/hey-you-can-buy-alcohol-at-costco-and-sams-club-without-a-membership/

Bugamol fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 9, 2017

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
You should make sure to tell all your coworkers what you make, and find out what they're making. I started a week after another kid at a lumber yard, I was making 10/hr. After a couple weeks he asked me what I was making and from his reaction it was a lot less. Apparently he went to the boss and got on some kind of plan to increase his pay gradually to match what I was at least making. I was super uncomfortable at the time because obviously there was the threat of me being retaliated against, and I was p. sure he wasn't making what I was, but it all worked out. He had the info to get paid more, I kept my job, I later found out what I was doing was protected by law.

If you haven't told your coworkers what you make, you're gimping them in salary negotiations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Co-workers or people in your field is one thing. Random other people that do something totally different is a very different. It's not like there aren't other ways to determine what you should ask for from your employer.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Uncle Enzo posted:

You should make sure to tell all your coworkers what you make, and find out what they're making. I started a week after another kid at a lumber yard, I was making 10/hr. After a couple weeks he asked me what I was making and from his reaction it was a lot less. Apparently he went to the boss and got on some kind of plan to increase his pay gradually to match what I was at least making. I was super uncomfortable at the time because obviously there was the threat of me being retaliated against, and I was p. sure he wasn't making what I was, but it all worked out. He had the info to get paid more, I kept my job, I later found out what I was doing was protected by law.

If you haven't told your coworkers what you make, you're gimping them in salary negotiations.
Or yourself, don't forget.

Same story happened to my coworker. He signed on as an apprentice, and when he was fully hired on they gave him a pay raise, but not much. We got to talking about education because we both had Master's degrees, and that talk turned to salary. I was comfortable with it because of the above discussion, and so was he, and he realized he was getting seriously screwed - when they gave him the pay bump for becoming an employee, they gave him the Bachelor's rate.

He contacted payroll and got that fixed, and I think they even started some retroactive payments for the half year that he should have been getting.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i have a 2016 tacoma it's great and all but yeah high payment hence my posts earlier.

that said, i dont like the look of anything pre 2016 but i would probablyu suggest looking into a Chevie Colorado also. Those things are nice and p reliable.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Exactly. People helped me with my professional development a lot and I don't mind helping those trying to find their footing with powerful info that can help them leverage a fair deal.

If you disagree I can't help but think you're a selfish and insecure rear end in a top hat.

You don't honestly believe it's in the interests of keeping a positive work place, you're just a turdnugget.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

melon cat posted:

The answer is lots, and lots of truck loans. Here in Canada we're seeing what happens when the economy craps itself and poor people with big truck loans lose their jobs: lots of truck loan defaults.

A lot of rig pigs get their first paycheque, then go straight to the Ford dealership to buy their lifted F150. And even though many of them were earning good money, their level of spending went up along with it.

I live in Newfoundland and I have been predicting this for years. When the arse fell out of oil/gas and especially with the fire in Fort Mac last fall we have seen a dramatic uptick in personal bankruptcy.

Another user posted about needing some serious perspective, and while I agree with them I have somewhat little sympathy for a lot of people in these situations. You work in a volatile industry - some savings would have been appropriate.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Of course, just look at that low monthly payment!

I dunno, assuming a $20k* loan at 1.5%** over 60 months, that's $350 a month. Not cheap, but it's also nothing compared to buying a new Tundra or F-150 or similar.

*Base model Tacoma retails for about $25k - maybe don't buy a new car if you can't toss down a decent chunk as a down payment.
**Definitely don't buy a new car if your credit isn't good enough to get a sub-2% interest rate.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Also I'm a white male from a stable, upper-middle class home who went to good schools and a good college but obviously that has nothing to do with it and it's just my hard work :colbert:

It always amazes me how many people gloss over that aspect of their financial life / careers. I'm a white guy who went to high school in the northeast, had lucky genetics for a sport, and got to go to a great school because they wanted me on the team. I hosed up constantly for five years, had a pretty lovely GPA, and got out with a master's degree in a sexy-sounding field before accidentally tripping over a job in pharma that was basically OH GOD HIRING FREEZE IS COMING, GET ANYONE WITH A PULSE TO FILL THIS CUBICLE. I got so loving lucky it's kinda humiliating to think about.

But no, my hard work and 2.97 undergrad GPA are totally why I'm living comfortably now in that fancy-pants six-digit club, not pure loving luck.

quote:

Yeah being ashamed of how much you make or talking openly about money is a really horrible cultural thing that needs to be stamped out and thankfully basically everyone in my generation that I know thinks it's completely bullshit and only serves to reenforce power structures that gently caress you over.

Agreed on this. I am very open with my salary information and will gladly share it with anyone at work who asks. Not many people ask, of course, because of the stigma / HR threats.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Uncle Enzo posted:

I almost started a race riot with something like this. I took a job, asked for $10/hr, but they offered $9 with shift differential so it was $9.90 (it was a decade ago, and I was desperate)
I left my opened paycheck at my workstation one night and a co-worker took a look. It was in an envelope so he really shouldn't have. But then again, I don't care who knows.

He was only making $8.75 to do the same job, and he's black, I'm white, so he figured that must have something to do with it. He wasn't very happy and started spreading around that they're paying black workers less.

Turns out, he asked what they pay instead of asking them to pay him a certain amount. Once he thought that over, he was cool about it. Who knows if he got that raise- I left shortly after

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 9, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Moneyball posted:

I almost started a race riot with something like this. I took a job, asked for $10/hr, but they offered $9 with shift differential so it was $9.90 (it was a decade ago, and I was desperate)
I left my opened paycheck at my workstation one night and a co-worker took a look. It was in an envelope so he really shouldn't have. But then again, I don't care who knows.

He was only making $8.75 to do the same job, and he's black, I'm white, so he figured that must have something to do with it. He wasn't very happy and started spreading around that they're paying black workers less.

Turns out, he asked what they pay instead of asking them to pay him a certain amount. Once he thought that over, he was cool about it.

Can you think of any reason why you and he might have approached your salary negotiations differently

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

What say you, Tiny Brontosaurus?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Don't take the bait

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

KingSlime posted:

Don't take the bait

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

KingSlime posted:

Don't take the bait

It's not bait, christ. There's a pretty good post directly above his he might want to read is all. Are you really so fragile?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yes that's exactly it.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Ayy, not everything is about race.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Horse Lease Chat!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Horses/comments/5ff2sq/leasefree_leasebuy_advice_needed/

quote:

Hello horse lovers!
Sorry if this gets a bit long but it’s a weird situation I hope you all can help me with.

My wife has ridden horses most of her life but stopped when she got pregnant with our first child ~10 years ago. She was leasing at the time and we’ve never owned horses.

About a year ago I encouraged her to get back into it and she found a very reasonable partial lease nearby and she has fallen head over heels with the animal - they have a crazy bond that I suspect y’all will understand. We have a full lease now and she rides 4-5x a week (hunter/jumper). The arrangement has always been convenient but a bit odd. The horse is owned by someone who isn’t local but keeps several horses at this barn. The barn is managed by someone who leases the whole property and runs her board/school full time.

Some drama has emerged between the barn manager and the owner of the horses who have been friends for years. The owner of the horse is considering selling some of her other horses and possibly (maybe out of spite?) offering this hose as a free lease elsewhere. The details are not clear to me as I hear things through my wife who gets things from the barn manager (they chat a lot, sometimes I wonder how much she actually rides, lol).

So here’s where we are today: we want to continue to have access to this horse but it isn’t clear if the owner will sell. What seems to be proposed is more or less a free lease where we’d pay for basically everything but not own the animal. I, being unfamiliar in the ways and legalities of horse ownership am not sure what’s legit and what isn’t but I am for sure not comfortable with murky financial responsibilities when there are hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars on the line.

Questions:
What actually shows ownership of a horse? I get that they are not titled like cars :)
Is a free lease risky? Bad idea?
If the owner wants to keep the “lease” going and not pay for much, how do we get it in writing so that 6mo down the road she doesn’t just pack up the horse and leave? Is there some kind of standard contract? Should I get a lawyer to look things over?
Thanks for all the help, folks…

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

It's not bait, christ. There's a pretty good post directly above his he might want to read is all. Are you really so fragile?

Someone is, based on your new (yet surprisingly mild) avatar.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

Someone is, based on your new (yet surprisingly mild) avatar.

Yeah I heard but I'm not even looking. gently caress it. I have avs off anyway because that poo poo's annoying. An admin doxxed the credit card that bought my account and my IP info and is passing it around on offsites because they're mad at some person I'm not who was apparently getting them salty before I had so much as a facebook account. I get a pm inbox full of rape and death threats and gore but it's not actionable because "you can't prove anything." I'm not putting my own money into this shithole.

"Don't take the bait." gently caress all of you.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Yeah I heard but I'm not even looking. gently caress it. I have avs off anyway because that poo poo's annoying. An admin doxxed the credit card that bought my account and my IP info and is passing it around on offsites because they're mad at some person I'm not who was apparently getting them salty before I had so much as a facebook account. I get a pm inbox full of rape and death threats and gore but it's not actionable because "you can't prove anything." I'm not putting my own money into this shithole.

It's not even an avatar it's just red text that says STUPID, pretty weak as far as that poo poo goes

MenschMaschine
Jun 10, 2009

Halb Wesen und halb Ding
:roboluv:
...aber oho!

Well I think your comment was perfectly reasonable. This is already a known effect based on gender, so it makes sense to expect that it would apply to race as well.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hah, you thought you could talk about actual race issues on SA, that's funny.

News flash, embracing typical urban black culture is bad with money. No lovely biotruths, just cultural differences not conducive to getting ahead in America today, which are very similar to rural white issues. As always, being bwm is relative and coming from the wrong background is hazardous to your finances.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Regardless of race, people are just raised to not ask for what they want to be paid instead of what they will be given. P lovely that we do that really. The negotiation thread is chock full of people succeeding in breaking from that mold.

MenschMaschine
Jun 10, 2009

Halb Wesen und halb Ding
:roboluv:
...aber oho!

baquerd posted:

News flash, embracing typical urban black culture is bad with money. No lovely biotruths, just cultural differences not conducive to getting ahead in America today, which are very similar to rural white issues. As always, being bwm is relative and coming from the wrong background is hazardous to your finances.

Hoooly poo poo everyone get a look at the post linked from this guy's avatar hahahahaha

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Literally Elvis posted:

BWM: Bailing out your father, I guess

Brutal. Strictly speaking, though, pretty harsh to label that as BWM.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

Vox Nihili posted:

Brutal. Strictly speaking, though, pretty harsh to label that as BWM.

Agreed. I put "I guess" as a too-weak-in-hindsight indicator of sarcasm. That's a poo poo situation all around and I can't imagine being anything but livid if I were in that persons shoes.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

baquerd posted:

Weird how you can be this flagrantly racist yet nobody's building conspiracy theories about you and following you around trying to doxx you and emailing you pictures of what they think is your house.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Please tell me what typical black urban culture is.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I always take principled stands on TBs side in a sort of racial Pascal's Wager. At best she's right, at worst some white guy has a really really salty meltdown.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
This is the Bad With Money thread, not the TB meltdown thread. Back on topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
BWM to keep supporting the secret agents who follow you around, put tracking devices in your cars, and drill radio receivers into your teeth.

• Locked thread