Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
This guy's allowed to keep coming back again and again but that's all fine because there's no such thing as racism on SA. Racism is a fake idea made up by troublemakers like me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Fados posted:

what would you call the process through which way the brain interprets these things when relating to art, maybe hummmmm, culture?

What scale(s) a style of music uses does not define what that style is

This is why metal without distortion just sounds like surf rock since they both generally use the same scales yet are two very different styles of music.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Fados posted:

Lemme tell you how the friggin traditional sing songs in my own country from literal unliterate peasant girls washing their dirty husband's clothes down in the river are obviously based in the islamic oriental scale and tradition. A little detail is that these girls are white as white can be. Are they culturally appropriating or exchanging?

Hahaha oh man. "Islamic oriental scale" eh? TB has already demonstrated that outside of music terminology you are just obstinately refusing to listen, but that's just icing on the cake.

Plus bonus sexism, if they have husbands you'd think these ladies would be women, not girls.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Fados posted:

of course, i agree with this, in art there is only good (original) cultural appropriation and bad (unoriginal) cultural appropriation. cultural 'exchange' sounds like the scholastic intellecutal product out of the mind of some anarco-capitalist chicago school boy subcontracted by the cia to do some cultural 'revolution' in some dictatorship in south america

You're a loving ignorant-rear end poo poo and you're illustrating the very idea you're pretending doesn't exist just by barging in here and refusing to leave. This thread belongs to you because you decided you want it, so gently caress all those niggers who were using it before. What were they doing, just talking about black poo poo? Worthless. You've got white bullshit to fling.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Fados posted:

of course, i agree with this, in art there is only good (original) cultural appropriation and bad (unoriginal) cultural appropriation. cultural 'exchange' sounds like the scholastic intellecutal product out of the mind of some anarco-capitalist chicago school boy subcontracted by the cia to do some cultural 'revolution' in some dictatorship in south america

Get the gently caress outta here

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Gringostar posted:

This is why metal without distortion just sounds like surf rock since they both generally use the same scales yet are two very different styles of music.

Thank you for this. Down the rabbit hole I go.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Fados posted:

what would you call the process through which the brain interprets these things when relating to art, maybe hummmmm, culture?

On one hand Western music's focus on tonality is culturally defined, but the very fact that scales are made up of notes with consonant frequencies is pure science? See, here's the problem. This white view of culture wants to have it both ways. It will consider the white tradition as "basic ideas intrinsic to all humanity" while at the same time wrapping themselves in the idea that they are the purveyors of culture upon the barbarians of the world. It allows them to disregard non-white cultures as either mere instances of general ideas or as ultimately owing their lineage to white culture. It's a shell game.

e: I forgot a third option. "Not real culture, but 'primitive' proto-culture."

foobardog fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 10, 2017

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Cultural appropriation is commonly divided by the sort of dusty academics who think about it a lot into appropriation and misappropriation, and the fundamental difference is based on power structures.

To put it simply, someone from the next village over putting their hair in a particular style without understanding the meaning of the hairstyle is something that, while not necessarily innocent, is harmful on an individual level because there are no structures of power involved.

The whitening of rock does involve the power structures of racism, and so the history of a genre, the cultural and economic values associated with it, they are all ripped from the hands of the people they belong to. This is what academics term "misappropriation", and what normal conversations call appropriation.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
Also it's only cultural exchange if one side has the ability to say "nah, you can't use that".

If not, then it isn't really an exchange. It's basically bullying.

Also Fados,

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!
Tbh cultural appropriation when relating to art just sounds like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsch with an identity politics twist.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fados posted:

Tbh cultural appropriation when relating to art just sounds like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsch with an identity politics twist.

Sir, this is a Sbarro's.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Fados posted:

yeah a lot of things sound like a lot of other things when you have a simpleton's understanding of them

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Fados posted:

Us black posters are telling you to leave. Have some respect and listen.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I appreciate that. It's difficult to talk about, because too often people think they can avoid all criticism forever if they just create a comprehensive enough rubrik, and even more often bad-faith interlopers crash the conversation and pretend that the people discussing cultural appropriation are just trying to enforce an oppressive list of rules. If this conversation gets off the ground there will inevitably be at least one poster going "Should every musician that uses the 12 tone scale credit Schoenberg? big lol" or some similar bullshit. There are a depressing number of people who are outraged and horrified that anything they do might be criticized, or even just insufficiently praised. White people particularly expect applause any time they don the trappings of another culture, because being recognized by whiteness is supposed to be the ultimate blessing and mark of approval. Cue "It's a COMPLIMENT!" during the slapfight portion of this discussion.

There will never be a complete list of what is and is not appropriation. There aren't even any foolproof rules of thumb. If you want to avoid cultural appropriation you're going to have to get into the habit of looking at things critically, examining context, considering the source, and listening to voices that differ from your own. Everybody doing that would solve most of racism anyway.

I thin the most egregious examples of cultural appropriation in America happen to Native Americans (who frequently refer to themselves as "Indians" for reasons best explained by them, so if I use the terms interchangably that's why). These are people with cultures just as important to them as ours, languages just as expressive as ours, religions just as meaningful as ours, and yet their cultural expression has been not only derided but outrighed banned by law in many cases. Children in living memory were kidnapped and put into indian schools where speaking their own languages was punished by violence.

So imagine someone growing up with that trauma walking into Forever 21 and seeing their religious symbols on bikini tops. Or going to a baseball game and seeing fat white guys in redface doing insulting impressions of their language and waving around cartoon versions of a sacred tool. People bulldozing over their family's ancestral homes and burial grounds while a dreamcatcher dangles from their rear-view window. And if they dare object: WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CAN'T DO WHATEVER I WANT IT'S A COMPLIMENT YOU SHOULD BE HONORED WHO ARE YOU TO TELL ME I CAN'T WEAR WHAT I WANT
Could you maybe elaborate on this wrt to music? I feel like the examples regarding Native Americans are all pretty clear-cut (to me, anyway. But seeing as they're all still happening on a massive scale...), but considering music's a field where cultural exchange is commonplace, I feel like it's incredibly hard to separate the two. Like there are some obvious examples out there - the plagiarism of early rock 'n' roll, the constant slapping of a white face on a non-white trend for """mass appeal""", and so on.

But take, for instance, the extremely white Diplo who has made a career out of tapping into various different music styles, most notably dancehall but also things like bounce, reggaeton, etc. To a lot of people, his music is probably the only contact they'll have with genres like dancehall and he's probably the one making the most money out of it. But then again, it seems like he's treating it with clear respect - he seems to know a lot about the genres, works consistently with local artists, takes it seriously, etc. Where would he fall on the spectrum, in your opinion? And if he falls on the wrong side, what could he do - if anything - to right this?

I also wanted to ask about this in your earlier post:

Since they're so aware of their black predecessors they assume their fans are too, but they aren't.
Would publicly acknowledging the influences by his black predecessors have put Elvis 'in the clear' so to speak? (assuming he never did that, I'm not an Elvis-expert) I'm sceptical about this message landing with his fans - especially at the time -, but would the effort have been enough to make a difference?

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Zas posted:

yeah a lot of things sound like a lot of other things when you have a simpleton's understanding of them

It's this.

Being ignorant about something isn't wrong as long as you don't keep doubling down on being ignorant and if you're not being an rear end in a top hat.

Of course, if people didn't keep doubling down and being assholes about poo poo they're ignorant on this thread wouldn't need to exist.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

R. Mute posted:

Could you maybe elaborate on this wrt to music? I feel like the examples regarding Native Americans are all pretty clear-cut (to me, anyway. But seeing as they're all still happening on a massive scale...), but considering music's a field where cultural exchange is commonplace, I feel like it's incredibly hard to separate the two. Like there are some obvious examples out there - the plagiarism of early rock 'n' roll, the constant slapping of a white face on a non-white trend for """mass appeal""", and so on.

But take, for instance, the extremely white Diplo who has made a career out of tapping into various different music styles, most notably dancehall but also things like bounce, reggaeton, etc. To a lot of people, his music is probably the only contact they'll have with genres like dancehall and he's probably the one making the most money out of it. But then again, it seems like he's treating it with clear respect - he seems to know a lot about the genres, works consistently with local artists, takes it seriously, etc. Where would he fall on the spectrum, in your opinion? And if he falls on the wrong side, what could he do - if anything - to right this?

I also wanted to ask about this in your earlier post:

Would publicly acknowledging the influences by his black predecessors have put Elvis 'in the clear' so to speak? (assuming he never did that, I'm not an Elvis-expert) I'm sceptical about this message landing with his fans - especially at the time -, but would the effort have been enough to make a difference?

I am not the arbiter of such things but acknowledging your influences is at the very least a start in the right direction. It is the bare minimum amount of respect that ought to be paid. If only so your listeners can follow up and support the original artist as well.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 10, 2017

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Sister Rosetta Tharpe is a favorite of mine. She was such an incredible badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR2gR6SZC2M

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

This guy's allowed to keep coming back again and again but that's all fine because there's no such thing as racism on SA. Racism is a fake idea made up by troublemakers like me.

Amazingly, in the time that TB posted this, she got probated again. I mean, Jesus Christ, way to prove her point.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

foobardog posted:

Amazingly, in the time that TB posted this, she got probated again. I mean, Jesus Christ, way to prove her point.

Fun fact she got probated in a thread she got dogppiled on for pointing out racism. They trotted out the old slashie conspiracy theories and poo poo but she's still the only one who got probated.

Yet we're all troublemakers who need to be contained in posting ghettos and there's no problem with racial bias on this forum in any way.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

foobardog posted:

You have a look down the rabbithole of the posts that got her probated, too? Man, that be some dark poo poo.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

:vince:

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

You have a look down the rabbithole of the posts that got her probated, too? Man, that be some dark poo poo.

Koalas March posted:

Fun fact she got probated in a thread she got dogppiled on for pointing out racism. They trotted out the old slashie conspiracy theories and poo poo but she's still the only one who got probated.

Yet we're all troublemakers who need to be contained in posting ghettos and there's no problem with racial bias on this forum in any way.

Yeah, I clicked through and, welp.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

This is what she was probated for and remember that a mod here is running around spreading this conspiracy theory which is encouraging people to try and doxx her.

Weird how you can be this flagrantly racist yet nobody's building conspiracy theories about you and following you around trying to doxx you and emailing you pictures of what they think is your house.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Seven loving days too. God drat.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Koalas March posted:

This is what she was probated for and remember that a mod here is running around spreading this conspiracy theory which is encouraging people to try and doxx her.

Which mod?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gringostar posted:

Which mod?

Exmarx has gone on a lot about her being Slashie whenever they're both posting in the same thread.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Koalas March posted:

Here's a great post by the guy who she was arguing with:

baquerd posted:

No one's saying slaveowners were better than that, just that slaveowners that didn't take care of their slaves got sub-par returns over the long run. If you look at the most successful slave-owners, you would expect to see a general pattern of excellent treatment of well-behaved slaves.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Koalas March posted:

I would love a board with the racial makeup of thecoli but with the level of discussion present in this thread.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Gringostar posted:

Which mod?

Exmarx. He's had a stick up his rear end since the QCS thread that caused him to shut down uspol. He's the one who said our black threads still exist because they keep us contained. Check out the QCS thread. It's been closed awhile but it should be easy enough to find.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Koalas March posted:

Exmarx. He's had a stick up his rear end since the QCS thread that caused him to shut down uspol. He's the one who said our black threads still exist because they keep us contained. Check out the QCS thread. It's been closed awhile but it should be easy enough to find.

And he was rightfully called out on it and only backpedaled when, not surprisingly, white posters started calling him out on his statements as well.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Waterbed Wendy posted:

rad

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Koalas March posted:

Meanwhile, this is a totally acceptable comment on SA now:

baquerd posted:

Hah, you thought you could talk about actual race issues on SA, that's funny.

News flash, embracing typical urban black culture is bad with money. No lovely biotruths, just cultural differences not conducive to getting ahead in America today, which are very similar to rural white issues. As always, being bwm is relative and coming from the wrong background is hazardous to your finances.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

negromancer posted:

And he was rightfully called out on it and only backpedaled when, not surprisingly, white posters started calling him out on his statements as well.

Personally, when I say something stupid about race, I'm much more swayed by an actual minority correcting me than a fellow white dude.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

Meanwhile I'm sure my income is higher than his, and me embracing my urban black culture is pretty much my calling card in my field and one of the reasons I'm well known enough to demand the income I do.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BRJohnson posted:

Personally, when I say something stupid about race, I'm much more swayed by an actual minority correcting me than a fellow white dude.

It shows who he respects more tho. :wtc:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah, that's...kind of the textbook definition of a racist post.:stare:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

BRJohnson posted:

We were there. At certain points he went from back tracking to straight lying about what he said to us and what we said to him.

Like he gave no fucks about what we had to say. He literally closed a thread because we didn't want to be treated like poo poo and other posters wanted tb or me to be a a mod and he got all up in his feelings about it.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

baquerd posted:

No one's saying slaveowners were better than that, just that slaveowners that didn't take care of their slaves got sub-par returns over the long run. If you look at the most successful slave-owners, you would expect to see a general pattern of excellent treatment of well-behaved slaves.

Why is this non-bannable? This is not low key "maybe it was a badly worded post" racism, he's not even trying to hide it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Jesus, this is loving good. Thanks for introducing me to an artist I need to listen to. Clearly an influence on a lot of the music I love (or a super uncanny coincidence), and yet never acknowledged... hmm...

Regarding musical appropriation, what do people think about Paul Simon's Graceland, both in terms of appropriation and the fact that it involved travelling to South Africa during Apartheid? Personally, it's one of my favourite albums, and I think he at least tried, perhaps not as much as he could have, to credit the artists he worked with, but at the same time I can understand why it pissed a lot of people off -- and not unreasonably so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Kawabata posted:

Why is this non-bannable? This is not low key "maybe it was a badly worded post" racism, he's not even trying to hide it.

Because they're not an uppity black person.

• Locked thread