Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The 15 percent number isn't shocking.
It also doesn't mean the car is doing 85% of the driving, before people start blabbing on about the cars being on rails or some dumb poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

Man I didn't realise Mika was such a jokester: http://www.grandprixtimes.com/news/id/13517

He will make Finland great again... for Spurdo... :finland:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

CratSock posted:

Most important realization from that study: "So how much does the driver actually contribute to a Formula 1 team's success? A mere 15 percent".

I actually thought it was less than that.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I thought the split was 80% Car 20% Driver.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

100% car 0% driver, unless it's Alonso, in which case invert the numbers.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

wicka posted:

So it was entirely alonso's fault that he couldn't crack 7th?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift posted:

So it was entirely alonso's fault that he couldn't crack 7th?

He did.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

CratSock posted:

Would the comparison even consider level of fitness? I think since it tries to maintain independence from the influence of teams and equipment, it probably isn't relevant in the quoted study. I don't think Fangio could rip around a track for an hour pulling 3 or 4 Gs in the corners in a modern car.

Don't know about that. The guy got his start doing insane endurance races in Argentina and also did the Mille Miglia several times and the Carrera Panamericana. Lets not forget that most (if not all) of his racing would have been without a seatbelt or power steering.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
If you use the "standards and training have improved so Marcus Ericsson would kick Graham Hill's rear end" argument, imo it's just as valid to ask if Jim Clark would murder the modern field if he had access to the same training infrastructure and opportunities that modern drivers do

(both scenarios are equally invalid imo)

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
The F1 media won't talk about it, but Palmer just had another excellent season. I was surprised he was passed for Rosberg's seat, Mercedes will regret choosing someone with an EU passport over talent when they lose the world championship to him

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Well that was the only post that mentioned Palmer and talent together. Well done.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Well I guess Palmer can only hope to replicate his fathers success as did Hill and Rosberg

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I love me some Big Jo Palmer

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I think these sort of lists, especially when it comes to the guys from the 50s and 60s are more about how much driver x was better relative to his contemparies, rather then a direct comparison to later guys. I dont think its a put em all in a time machine for a race style ranking.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The best driver is Alain Prost. I am putting my foot down.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

The best driver is Alain Prost. I am putting my foot down.

Sounds like you and Prost got something in common.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Sounds like you and Prost got something in common.

A love of 80s era racing??

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

poty posted:

The F1 media won't talk about it, but Palmer just had another excellent season. I was surprised he was passed for Rosberg's seat, Mercedes will regret choosing someone with an EU passport over talent when they lose the world championship to him

Finally found Nigel Farage's SA account.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Human Grand Prix posted:

The best driver is Alain Post. I am putting my foot down.

He is pretty good

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Hmm agreed

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post more like A Lame Post

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

GramCracker posted:

He is pretty good

Prost's early career was legit ridiculous, it was pretty much like Nando's Ferrari years. '86 was just on another level though, I still can't believe he pulled that off.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The most incredible thing about Prost is his teammates. John Watson may have been the weakest one, and John Watson was good.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

John Watson had a helluva career and is probably one of the most underrated drivers of all time, beat both Prost and Lauda over the course of a season in the same cars. He said himself that he just didn't play the politics game well enough to become a champion.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

The most incredible thing about Prost is his teammates. John Watson may have been the weakest one, and John Watson was good.

I'd say Cheever was the weakest. But even then early Cheever was very promising.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think Cheever was the only time Prost had contractual #1 status.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Why is Cheever so reviled stateside?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I still maintain Cheever was put in there solely because Renault just bought AMC and wanted to make a dent in the American market.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Why is Cheever so reviled stateside?

He wasn't very likable and also sucked rear end at TV commentary

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Also won a fakeass Indy 500.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
He is poo poo at commentating, I'll give you that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

gret posted:

Also won a fakeass Indy 500.

To be fair he was probably the best driver in that race.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Good IRL drivers (that weren't ex F1 or CART guys): Uhhh, Stewart?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Cheever had the best car that 500 too.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

Prost's early career was legit ridiculous, it was pretty much like Nando's Ferrari years. '86 was just on another level though, I still can't believe he pulled that off.

Yet he lost the WDC to a crispy old Lauda by half a point. Lauda was a sly old rat. 3 WDCs with 2 manufacturers in 2 different eras and he could have had a 4th if he could've been arsed in '76 or spent less time on fire. Yet a lot of people don't rate him particularly highly as an "all time" great.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

And yeah, Tony Stewart really is the only IRL product that's worth a poo poo.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think that took everything LAUDA had though.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 10, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Good IRL drivers (that weren't ex F1 or CART guys): Uhhh, Stewart?

Brack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
He was a CART guy :colbert:

• Locked thread