Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Endless Mike posted:

I assume "career" is a bad translation or autocorrect of "carrier" but still lmao why would you ever spend real money on a OnePlus?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be carrier. It's poo poo like this that needs to be trotted out whether someone says what a bargain a $400 OnePlus is over a Pixel.

I mean, some people may want to 'choose try' the cheaper options out there, but it's just not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I noticed this in the sidebar reading that article: http://phandroid.com/2017/01/04/samsung-sdi-building-galaxy-s8-batteries/

Apparently they're not going to release their findings on what was making those batteries explode, so their strategy is to use the same suppliers and say "it'll be fine this time, trust us"?

And it's probably going to work, too. :sigh:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Side physical buttons need to friggin die.
No no no no no no no no no no no no no no...Etc.

It's so nice to be able to adjust volume by touch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That article says they aren't going to release the findings until later this month. I don't see where it says they aren't going to release them at all.

Samsung actually has a lot more than phones riding on this. Samsung SDI is big into car battery tech (in fact, they just announced a new fast charging tech that can do 300 miles of range in 20 min). Samsung needs to make people feel safe with Samsung SDI moving forward, so they really need to release a convincing report.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Wrist Watch posted:

I noticed this in the sidebar reading that article: http://phandroid.com/2017/01/04/samsung-sdi-building-galaxy-s8-batteries/

Apparently they're not going to release their findings on what was making those batteries explode, so their strategy is to use the same suppliers and say "it'll be fine this time, trust us"?

And it's probably going to work, too. :sigh:

Yeah wtf, did you even read it?

quote:

Samsung isn’t planning to release the findings of the internal investigation regarding the catastrophic failure of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 until later this month

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

ilkhan posted:

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no...Etc.

It's so nice to be able to adjust volume by touch.

Wtf is wrong with having the volume buttons on the back aka LG G2/G3/G4/V10?

Center circle is power, above and blow is volume you couldn't miss unless you got frostbite and can't feel the tip of your index finger anymore or something.

Much rather have that then every single time I hand my phone, they either change volume, start taking burst pictures of the floor, or power off the device because they are holding the power button. On the G3, unless you have no idea they are there (also a fun party trick) they are impossible to accidental hit, but are exactly where your finger rest when you pick it up with one hand.

Putting buttons on the already thin edges we have to grab onto to just pick up/hold our devices is stupid.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Physical volume buttons on the side that I can just reach into my pocket and touch are incredibly useful and important, having them on the back is dumb imo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

Wtf is wrong with having the volume buttons on the back aka LG G2/G3/G4/V10?

Center circle is power, above and blow is volume you couldn't miss unless you got frostbite and can't feel the tip of your index finger anymore or something.

Much rather have that then every single time I hand my phone, they either change volume, start taking burst pictures of the floor, or power off the device because they are holding the power button. On the G3, unless you have no idea they are there (also a fun party trick) they are impossible to accidental hit, but are exactly where your finger rest when you pick it up with one hand.

Putting buttons on the already thin edges we have to grab onto to just pick up/hold our devices is stupid.

I've never had these problems. Sorry about your poor motor skills.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I was always hitting the volume buttons on my G3 accidentally. Also putting fingerprints all over the camera trying to hit power.

I liked the rest of the physical design of that phone but between those buttons, the awful software and crap screen it was the phone I was most glad to be rid of.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

dissss posted:

Also putting fingerprints all over the camera trying to hit power.

Yep, can confirm. Also the back is where the fingerprint sensor should be.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Top corner is the best place for the camera.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's almost like OnePlus is poo poo.

I just ordered one because gently caress Google and its lovely supply chain planning.

Should I cancel?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Only if your phone use case includes 'using data' from either wifi or cellular.

Other than that, should be solid.

What's your career though? This is apparently important.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

I just ordered one because gently caress Google and its lovely supply chain planning.

Should I cancel?

I highly recommend you cancel.

The middle of the Android market's in an awkward place right now. The Moto G4 Play is so inexpensive and high-quality, and the Pixel is such an upgrade from everything else, it's tough to justify the rest of the market.

And that's before we get to how awful OnePlus is! :v:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Die Sexmonster! posted:

I highly recommend you cancel.

The middle of the Android market's in an awkward place right now. The Moto G4 Play is so inexpensive and high-quality, and the Pixel is such an upgrade from everything else, it's tough to justify the rest of the market.

And that's before we get to how awful OnePlus is! :v:

The Pixel isn't even available and hasn't been for like a month because google is such a fuckup.

The G4Play is a step down from my Nexus 6 too.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

The Pixel isn't even available and hasn't been for like a month because google is such a fuckup.

Just get an s7 edge. You wont regret it.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
You can get a black Pixel or Pixel XL right this second from Google directly. If you want a Bad color, it does suck that it's not available but that can change moment to moment anyways.

grimcreaper posted:

As long as you're traveling back in time and getting it during the Black Friday weekend sale where it was $200 after bill credits, this is true.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Just wait 3 months and get the Galaxy S8.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

bull3964 posted:

That article says they aren't going to release the findings until later this month. I don't see where it says they aren't going to release them at all.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah wtf, did you even read it?

I somehow missed the entire last half of that sentence, my bad. I feel like an idiot now :angel:

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Does anyone here have a Daydream and actually use it or not regret getting it?

I keep getting tempted to grab one, even though I know it's an overpriced Cardboard. I'm such a sucker for VR, and even just looking around 3D photo spheres on my friend's Gear VR was pretty darn amusing. They seem to pop up on Craigslist locally for $50 pretty often.

On the other hand, I'm afraid any novelty would wear off pretty fast. Or that it's just not that amazing to begin with.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

There is the HTC 10 as well. Pixel sized, better audio amp, same HTC build quality as the Pixel. (though the HTC 10 had a bit more design time put into it than the Pixel in this case)

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

incogneato posted:

It's pretty bad. Overheats, crashes, is blurry. Just feels really half-arsed and I doubt they'll ever fix it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

incogneato posted:

I keep getting tempted to grab one, even though I know it's an overpriced Cardboard. I'm such a sucker for VR, and even just looking around 3D photo spheres on my friend's Gear VR was pretty darn amusing. They seem to pop up on Craigslist locally for $50 pretty often.

On the other hand, I'm afraid any novelty would wear off pretty fast. Or that it's just not that amazing to begin with.

It's pretty loving awesome. The phone gets hot, but is smooth and it's a real treat to use. I don't have a killer game or anything, but watching YouTube and Netflix with it is great.

E: it has also made me desire a Vive though so if you don't want to be tempted in the case where you discover you like VR, avoid.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tunga posted:

It's pretty bad. Overheats, crashes, is blurry. Just feels really half-arsed and I doubt they'll ever fix it.

Counterpoint, I'm really impressed with it and used it for a few hours at a new year's party for keep talking and nobody explodes and it performed great the whole time.

I wasn't using it with a Pixel though.

I own a Rift too and I'm actually really impressed with how good the tracking is for something that's fully self contained.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
How do I turn off the random "you were here, would you rate this place?" Google notifications?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

TenaciousTomato posted:

How do I turn off the random "you were here, would you rate this place?" Google notifications?

Yea this is annoying me too

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I think it's a Google Maps thing. Go into the notifications section of the settings.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

TenaciousTomato posted:

I don't really mind it except when it insists I've been somewhere I haven't (like I was in an apartment above a pub, etc).

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
One of the data centers I work in is in the same building as a hipster bar that serves tater tots and grilled cheeses. Yes I've been, no I don't want to write a review or answer if this place has long wait times. I'm working.

Uthor posted:

I think it's a Google Maps thing. Go into the notifications section of the settings.

yep, it's there. thanks

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 10, 2017

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

incogneato posted:

Not worth it. Although I might be biased because I have a vive. Very blurry. Can't adjust the optics. Very jittery. I hope they'll improve it. I had high hopes that it would be better than galaxy VR but it's pretty much equivalent.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

grimcreaper posted:

You will regret it. It is a pile of Samsung. Horrible UI and UX decisions abound.

If you have the money, wait for the pixel.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Lowen SoDium posted:

You will regret it. It is a pile of Samsung. Horrible UI and UX decisions abound.

If you have the money, wait for the pixel.

S7 edge is still the best phone on the market. The upcoming 7.1.1 update will make it even better.

Also, this is probably the only serious post ive pushed in this thread. While i like to prod other companies and i do like Samsung, i love android as a whole and feel people should buy from the company they like. Everyones suggestion of the pixel is pretty spot on. Its a good phone. I do think that the s7 and edge are better in many ways but the price points make the pixel a bit better for your money.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 10, 2017

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

grimcreaper posted:

S7 edge is still the best phone on the market. The upcoming 7.1.1 update will make it even better.

I had one and I have a pixel XL. The pixel is better in every way.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

grimcreaper posted:

Assuming your carrier ever gets the update or god forbid you switch carriers and then never get another update.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

grimcreaper posted:

S7 edge is still the best phone on the market.

Well, I'm glad an authoritative source has weighed in on the matter.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

EdEddnEddy posted:

This "leak" has 2 videos

The first video.

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/817960356035383297?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

The side scroll/button feature seems like it might be something i'd like to try at least.

Side physical buttons need to friggin die. (Every single car dock, or grip on my telescope grabs the phone on the sides, pretty much making it useless with the side buttons on a 6P and even a Pixel. A V10 would be perfect for the scope for sure.
My LG G3 I loved for the design but the internal software and hardware was lacking in a few ways as time went on. But the rear buttons and the V10 Improving on it with the rear power/fingerprint button was fantastic.

Going capacitive though, might be a mixed solution that if done correctly, might be pretty slick without any issue of clicky/moving buttons that plagued some Pixel owners....

Putting a capacitive scroll wheel on the side of the phone would be about as useful as putting a rotary dialer on the side of a push button phone. Why would you want to scroll through poo poo on the screen instead of just tapping on the item you want? :psyduck:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Putting a capacitive scroll wheel on the side of the phone would be about as useful as putting a rotary dialer on the side of a push button phone. Why would you want to scroll through poo poo on the screen instead of just tapping on the item you want? :psyduck:

I dunno, it would make it easier to use a giant screen phone with only one hand.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CLAM DOWN posted:

Physical volume buttons on the side that I can just reach into my pocket and touch are incredibly useful and important, having them on the back is dumb imo

Watch them be replaced with a touch strip and haptic feedback. :xd:

Screen-edge-only ambient display buttons on the S8 Edge... :newlol:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 10, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

There is the HTC 10 as well. Pixel sized, better audio amp, same HTC build quality as the Pixel. (though the HTC 10 had a bit more design time put into it than the Pixel in this case)

But lacking the astonishing software optimisation the pixel got. It's intangible so it's easy to forget or overlook but it's something that shouldn't be disregarded.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jan 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Mister Macys posted:

Watch them be replaced with a touch strip and haptic feedback. :xd:

God damnit don't you even... I don't need anything else to make my phone screen more likely to turn on in my pocket.