Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
seriously new thread title right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

the world's best most powerful operation system got even better with server 2016

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

the biggest insider update yet: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/01/09/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-15002-pc/

while everyone's trying to remove flash entirely from their browser:

quote:

Flash Click-to-Run: Microsoft Edge will now block untrusted Flash content by default until the user explicitly chooses to play it. This means better security, stability, and performance for you, while preserving the option to run Flash when you choose. You can learn more about this change on the Microsoft Edge Dev Blog: Extending User Control of Adobe Flash with Click-to-Run. We will be evolving this experience in upcoming flights to make the option to run Flash content more contextually obvious.

at least they're improving accessiblity:

quote:

Braille support in Windows: Not too long ago, we mentioned Braille support was coming to Windows. That work is starting to appear in builds, and you will find a new button that offers the ability to download support for braille via Settings > Ease of Access > Narrator. While this button is present, the feature doesn’t work yet so hold off on giving it a try for now. We’ll let you know in a future post when braille can be used.

built-in f.lux for all your poo poo taste needs:

quote:

Lower Blue Light: Windows can now automatically lower the amount of blue light emitted from your PC at night. Settings to turn this functionality on or off and use a local sunset and sunrise or custom schedule are in Settings -> System -> Display. If you need to quickly override the schedule or always want manual control, you can enable this quick action in Settings->Notifications & actions. Use this capability for a couple nights and send us feedback through the Feedback Hub, we’d love to know what you think!

significant decrease in BSODs:

quote:

BSOD is now GSOD

In an effort to more easily distinguish Windows Insider reports vs the reports of those on production builds, we’ve updated the bugcheck page (blue screen) to be green. Released versions of Windows 10 will continue to have the classic blue color, including the final release of the Windows 10 Creators Update.

an actual good part though?

quote:

Improving your update experience

We’ve already made a number of updates based on the feedback you’ve shared with us and today we’re happy to let you know there are some more headed your way:
  • We’ve added an option that will enable you to pause updates on your computer for up to 35 days. To pause your machine, go to the Advanced options page of Windows Update Settings. This capability will be available on Professional, Education, and Enterprise editions of Windows.
  • We’ve added an option that will now allow you to decide whether or not to include driver updates when you update Windows. This capability will be available on Professional, Education, and Enterprise editions of Windows.
  • We’ve added a new icon to the Windows Update Settings page to make easier to see your update status at a glance. This update status and experience is consistent with the experience you’ll find in the new Windows Defender dashboard.
    New icon to the Windows Update Settings page

• We’ve made some improvements to our logic to better detect if the PC’s display is actively being used for something, such as projecting, and avoid attempting to restart.
  • Windows Insiders with the Home edition of Windows will now also be able to leverage the increased 18 hour max window for Active Hours.

selected known issues:

quote:

• Opening Battery settings page via Settings > System > Battery will crash the Settings app.
  • Using CTRL + C to copy in Command Prompt won’t work.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
didn't they make bsods green on the xbox

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

didn't they make bsods green on the xbox

ive seen one on the xbone, or 360

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
never seen one sorry

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

the biggest insider update yet: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/01/09/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-15002-pc/

while everyone's trying to remove flash entirely from their browser:

at least they're improving accessiblity:

built-in f.lux for all your poo poo taste needs:

significant decrease in BSODs:

selected known issues:

its cool that their trying new features and stuff but the ability to postpone updates is fuckin dumb and ive had flash disabled in edge forever.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

quote:

Improving your update experience

We’ve already made a number of updates based on the feedback you’ve shared with us and today we’re happy to let you know there are some more headed your way:
We’ve added an option that will enable you to pause updates on your computer for up to 35 days. To pause your machine, go to the Advanced options page of Windows Update Settings. This capability will be available on Professional, Education, and Enterprise editions of Windows.
We’ve added an option that will now allow you to decide whether or not to include driver updates when you update Windows. This capability will be available on Professional, Education, and Enterprise editions of Windows.

lol get hosed nearly everyone that bought a pc with windows pre-loaded

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
driver updates would be good if they weren't always out of date for litterrally no reason. everyone has to submit them for WHQL certification so why the gently caress doesn't Microsoft put them up on windows update after being certified?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

still can't believe they make so many versions of windows. seems like it would become simply a headache for everyone, including ms at this point

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

driver updates would be good if they weren't always out of date for litterrally no reason. everyone has to submit them for WHQL certification so why the gently caress doesn't Microsoft put them up on windows update after being certified?

there's a WHQL certified driver update for my wifi hardware that will make it unable to find any networks
it's generally A Good Thing that driver updates are automatic but man has there ever been long term quality issues

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ahmeni posted:

there's a WHQL certified driver update for my wifi hardware that will make it unable to find any networks
it's generally A Good Thing that driver updates are automatic but man has there ever been long term quality issues

it's only a general good thing if there are security updates

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 9, 2017

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I wonder how often there are security problems in things like graphics drivers. I would think the applications they come w/ (like GeForce experience) are probably better targets.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ahmeni posted:

over the years there has been broken nvidia driver releases that were whql certified but still randomly bluescreened

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Edge is the worst browser. Feels really slow, lacks useful extensions. User interface is a total poo poo-show.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

Edge is the worst browser. Feels really slow, lacks useful extensions. User interface is a total poo poo-show.

But but but netflix in 4k

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
what bitrate is their 4k stream? not much point if it's not at least double the 1080p one.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

actually its the best browser, its the fastest, and has the most useful extensions.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

what bitrate is their 4k stream? not much point if it's not at least double the 1080p one.

15ish Mbps

their 1080 streams are 4-6 depending on title

1080p bluray is 40 Mbps

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Shaggar posted:

actually its the best browser, its the fastest, and has the most useful extensions.

but not in private browsing mode

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

univbee posted:

But but but netflix in 4k
can't you do this on a ps4 now

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

pro only

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

anthonypants posted:

can't you do this on a ps4 now

yeah plenty of devices will do it but they have pretty stringent drm on it, so pc playback in 4k requires some very specific hardware and software; you can only do it on Edge (and by extension Windows 10), and only with a gen7 Intel Core CPU.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

Tired gimmick

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

dont be mean to me posted:

but not in private browsing mode

oh yeah. that's dumb.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

Tired gimmick

being right all the time is tiring but I do it for all of you.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Shaggar was Right

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i wanna like edge but even i can't completely defend it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

triple sulk posted:

i wanna like edge

just keep going until you're about to finish

then wait for them to implement smooth scrolling like every other browser on earth

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shaggar posted:

I wonder how often there are security problems in things like graphics drivers. I would think the applications they come w/ (like GeForce experience) are probably better targets.

if you need a career change by instantly making yourself a name in security circles you should look into security holes in drivers which can be exploited through webgl

well, my guess at least, i have been pretty surprised with how quiet it has been on that front since the first days of it, considering how messy graphics drivers have always appeared

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

but i thought mandatory updates with no option to delay them was a good thing?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Shaggar posted:

its cool that their trying new features and stuff but the ability to postpone updates is fuckin dumb and ive had flash disabled in edge forever.

yeah, this

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Endless Mike posted:

1080p bluray is 40 Mbps

this will forever be the peak of consumer video quality. 😢

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Shaggar posted:

all the time although they have started actively patching vulnerabilities lately. general rule is if you're interacting with the gpu driver unrestricted you have code execution anyway so focus is on privilege escalation. i'd be more worried about their custom remote desktop systems that allow controllers exposing xinput

Wheany posted:

but i thought mandatory updates with no option to delay them was a good thing?
if there's a​ relevant security update sure but it's been edge vulnerabilities lately and who uses that crap

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Wheany posted:

this will forever be the peak of consumer video quality. 😢

you can buy a 4k bluray right now with a max of 108Mbps

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Perplx posted:

you can buy a 4k bluray right now with a max of 108Mbps

yes, the passive "you" can buy a physical disc in the year 2017, for a player that "you" own or are planning on buying

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i'm just gonna keep watching netflix at default settings on my 900p macbook air screen, i'll probably be fine

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

all the time although they have started actively patching vulnerabilities lately. general rule is if you're interacting with the gpu driver unrestricted you have code execution anyway so focus is on privilege escalation. i'd be more worried about their custom remote desktop systems that allow controllers exposing xinput

if there's a​ relevant security update sure but it's been edge vulnerabilities lately and who uses that crap

do gpu drivers run w/ high privs on their own or do you mean a privilege escalation in whatever api is between the system and the driver? (or maybe its both,lol)

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Fame Douglas posted:

if i resize the window a bunch really rapidly by grabbing a corner and spinning my mouse in circles it crashes because it takes the time to draw all the screenwipe transitions to fill the window size

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Phoenixan posted:

if i resize the window a bunch really rapidly by grabbing a corner and spinning my mouse in circles it crashes because it takes the time to draw all the screenwipe transitions to fill the window size

lol just reproduced this

• Locked thread