Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Brainamp posted:

I saw that one E3 trailer that looked neat. Were later trailers/reviews about it bad or something?

From the first trailer, something looked really off about it. And then the gameplay footage came out and it was just so painfully slow and janky.

I might have felt bad if it looked like it was gonna be interesting or dynamic or stuff, but it just kinda felt very slow. More monster hunter-y than DMC/Bayo/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Jack Trades posted:

Scalebound gameplay they showed looked like total garbage.

Yeah it never clicked with me, I assumed it was going to get better with time but uh...

Sorry Dragon-friend, we'll meet in another game.

Also I give Platinum Games a 50/50 for existing in 5 years...unfortunately.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I heard the name and genuinely thought it was a platform collect-em-up throwback featuring a cartoony lizard mascot character. I didn't even know Platinum were involved until today.

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I heard the name and genuinely thought it was a platform collect-em-up throwback featuring a cartoony lizard mascot character. I didn't even know Platinum were involved until today.

Are you thinking of Scaler?

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan
Not only was it a PlatinumGames project, but Hideki Kamiya was directing it. While it definitely didn't look too hot when it was shown, I had faith that it would have turned out to being something decent just from his involvement alone.

ETURNA fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 9, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

From the first trailer, something looked really off about it. And then the gameplay footage came out and it was just so painfully slow and janky.

I might have felt bad if it looked like it was gonna be interesting or dynamic or stuff, but it just kinda felt very slow. More monster hunter-y than DMC/Bayo/etc.
A lot of people immediately disliked the first trailer just for aesthetic reasons. The guy looked sort of like the new, "gently caress anime" Dante of DmC Western Edition, and his headphones were obviously knockoffs of Beats By Dre. So immediately a certain set of gamers saw connections to two concepts they wanted nothing to do with. And many of them are the same kind of gamers whose interest spikes at the mention of Hideki Kamiya.

Conversely, those aesthetics was kind of why I leaned into it (well that and my casual, don't-watch-the-spinoffs love for How To Train Your Dragon.) But I also gotta admit that the mass-multiplayer, "a dozen dragons try to take down this ultra-boss together" scenario they demonstrated at their last show was quite poor.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

it was the 4400th most preordered game on amazon while neir is like the 80th so if they had to cut fat the market research was done for them.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

A Sinister Rap posted:

Are you thinking of Scaler?

Definitely not on any conscious level, but that's exactly the sort of game I was picturing, and I'd be surprised if I was the only one.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Craptacular! posted:

A lot of people immediately disliked the first trailer just for aesthetic reasons. The guy looked sort of like the new, "gently caress anime" Dante of DmC Western Edition, and his headphones were obviously knockoffs of Beats By Dre. So immediately a certain set of gamers saw connections to two concepts they wanted nothing to do with. And many of them are the same kind of gamers whose interest spikes at the mention of Hideki Kamiya.

Conversely, those aesthetics was kind of why I leaned into it (well that and my casual, don't-watch-the-spinoffs love for How To Train Your Dragon.) But I also gotta admit that the mass-multiplayer, "a dozen dragons try to take down this ultra-boss together" scenario they demonstrated at their last show was quite poor.

I'd say it being Xbone exclusive probably hurt a ton too, and the game ran really badly when it was first shown. I have yet to see a reason to get an Xbone and that certainly didn't sway me one bit.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

it was gonna be on pc

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I get a feeling in a year or two we'll see the comments saying they overreached themselves with multiplayer and could have had an okay game if they restricted themselves to the offline campaign.

Momomo posted:

I have yet to see a reason to get an Xbone and that certainly didn't sway me one bit.

The number of cheap games usually from Microsoft Store that seem to show up, as well as the extensive HTPC apps including some niche players like SiliconDust, make me wish I had bought one instead of a PS4 so I could have mostly the same games and a great living room box. But I pre-ordered my PS4 the night of that one E3 when Sony was smugging it up and Microsoft was sniffing always-online DRM glue so that decision was made for me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

it was gonna be on pc

No. It was gonna be on Win 10 Store which is practically the same as not being on PC as far as I'm concerned.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Craptacular! posted:

I get a feeling in a year or two we'll see the comments saying they overreached themselves with multiplayer and could have had an okay game if they restricted themselves to the offline campaign.

rumors already out now that ms wanted to make the game into a esport or minecraft style money hole and jerked platinum around over it.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Microsoft is literally incapable of working with 3rd and 2nd parties, big surprise.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They just need one of these projects to actually come out so they can buy out the studio, change its name to be referential of the game they made, and force them to make the same game every 12-24 months forever.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

tap my mountain posted:

Microsoft is literally incapable of working with 3rd and 2nd parties, big surprise.
they did a lot better than the ps3 did with third parties! but then for whatever reason they hosed up majorly the xbone, maybe they thought they didn't need japanese devs any more

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They've had a few big leadership changes and new MS CEO with new priorities

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Hopefully this doesn't completely tank Platinum's bottom line. They haven't been doing too well lately.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Nier should sell pretty decently. And then they've got two other games on the horizon next year.

I have no idea what either of them are, but they're planned, anyway!

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I feel like Platinum is kinda forever chained into developing other people's IPs by now. I feel really bad for them to end up in this situation after being found on such idealistic goals

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Nina posted:

I feel like Platinum is kinda forever chained into developing other people's IPs by now. I feel really bad for them to end up in this situation after being found on such idealistic goals

I don't know. The funny thing is that the only unique IP they've managed to pull off is Bayonetta. The rest are mechanically sound but lack in other areas imo (ok add W101 as well, that is pretty unique and cool)

Then Kojima asks them "You know my multi million franchise with super popular characters? Make game of it"

Rising is still one of my favorite games of all time.

Also, Microsoft blows and Nier looks and plays great so no big loss there.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jan 10, 2017

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

So I know absolutely nothing about Nier or its predecessors but I love Platinum games and had a ton of fun with the Automata demo on PS4. Is there an easy way to kind of catch up on the lore or something? It seems super extensive and insane and I already have too much crazy insane video game lore in my head so I can't be assed to watch hours of LPs or read huge text dumps.

I guess if it's not really necessary I don't care too much, I just want more of what I've already played. But if it's all gonna be a bunch of obtuse references and stuff I don't understand because I didn't play like 4 or something games before it then that would kinda lower my enjoyment of it all a bit I guess.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

abraxas posted:

So I know absolutely nothing about Nier or its predecessors but I love Platinum games and had a ton of fun with the Automata demo on PS4. Is there an easy way to kind of catch up on the lore or something? It seems super extensive and insane and I already have too much crazy insane video game lore in my head so I can't be assed to watch hours of LPs or read huge text dumps.

I guess if it's not really necessary I don't care too much, I just want more of what I've already played. But if it's all gonna be a bunch of obtuse references and stuff I don't understand because I didn't play like 4 or something games before it then that would kinda lower my enjoyment of it all a bit I guess.

Magic happened cause a giant woman, a insane man and a dragon came into our world through a portal, we dealt with it using clones or something, years and years later a dudes daughter was sick and then got kidnapped, he saved her and the world got hosed.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

playing the first nier is enough. there are connections to the drakengard series but you arent going to be lost not having played them. also nier is a much better game than any of the drakengards, imo

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

sharrrk posted:

playing the first nier is enough. there are connections to the drakengard series but you arent going to be lost not having played them. also nier is a much better game than any of the drakengards, imo

Are there any well made and complete Nier LPs? I don't own a console but I'd like to get a full experience out of Automata.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

If you can't play it (the first game has gone up in price sharply over the last year and it's not available digitally for some insane reason) The Dark Id did a 100% playthrough that also covers the backstory (which is easily one of the best parts of the game itself).

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

Are there any well made and complete Nier LPs? I don't own a console but I'd like to get a full experience out of Automata.

Yeah, you can't really go wrong with The Dark Id's LPs for anything YT related. He's even gotten some stuff from the man himself for his Nier LP.

The Dark Id posted:

I got shitfaced and did some digging to contact Cavia before it was dissolved and specifically Sith Lord Taro Yoko during the NIER LP and linked to all the sales I had gotten the game... granted mostly used but whatever. I did more advertising than Square-Enix at that point. I got a response back from Taro Yoko a few months later thanking me for being an "ambassador to the West" and was asked for an address. Which was a PO BOX so whatever. If he was sending a letter bomb some poor mail lady would blow up. Drakengard! But in fact I got a signed poster from a bunch of members from the team and a voucher for the NieR piano soundtrack. Which required I make a fake Japanese iTunes account listing me in 25000 Fake Street, Osaka Japan.

But hey. That was nifty. :unsmith:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Only tangentially related but Evolve F2P was so good. Fuckin 2K trying to turn it into an esport and then shuttering the free version after two months. Big companies are bad!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

WaltherFeng posted:

I don't know. The funny thing is that the only unique IP they've managed to pull off is Bayonetta. The rest are mechanically sound but lack in other areas imo

Exhibit A: Vanquish. In a world where everyone was chasing Call of Duty, they released mobility-focused bullet-hell shooter where staying in cover was a trap. Plays incredibly well, has a strong art design, but blankets it in an execrably stupid story, sloppy plot beats, and off-putting characters.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

They need to release Vanquish on PC. I'd buy that without a second thought.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The plot was space Russians attacking or something. It was dumb and goofy which is the norm for most Plat games.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Who cares about the characters and story in vanquish lol

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

VANQUIIIIIIISH!

Man I loved that game. Warts and all.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

lets hang out posted:

All of the people that didn't buy Vanquish, because it's almost unimpeachable on a pure gameplay level.

I lent Vanquish to 4 people with my highest recommendation. 3 of them didn't get through the first level because they found it dumb and confusing. It didn't matter to me, it didn't matter to the fourth guy, but it matters to a lot of people. And yeah anecdotes aren't data, but Vanquish flopped and I'm sure a good chunk of that is because it's absolutely not a narrative experience in any way that matters, and that is a GIGANTIC priority for people that buy single-player only games.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm not your turret bitch, Barnes!

That's the only thing I remember about Vanquish.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

lets hang out posted:

Counterpoint: Bayonetta is an amazing character who rivals Dante in sass and style. Also Rising managed to make Raiden cool.

Vanquish kinda falls flat in that regard and having cool characters is pretty important.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 10, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

All of the people that didn't buy Vanquish, because it's almost unimpeachable on a pure gameplay level.

I lent Vanquish to 4 people with my highest recommendation. 3 of them didn't get through the first level because they found it dumb and confusing. It didn't matter to me, it didn't matter to the fourth guy, but it matters to a lot of people. And yeah anecdotes aren't data, but Vanquish flopped and I'm sure a good chunk of that is because it's absolutely not a narrative experience in any way that matters, and that is a GIGANTIC priority for people that buy single-player only games.

Those people have bad taste because even the first level in Vanquish owns.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It's a shame about those people's brain problems

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Those people have bad taste because even the first level in Vanquish owns.

I think you're forgetting it sits behind a very bland tutorial with very stupid dialogue and also a cutscene with, shall we say, Heavy Anime Elements (and an 18-wheeler delivering a heaping helping of Steven Blum ham)?

One of them gave up, btw, when after multi minutes of cutscenes she didn't care about, she ran Sam down a corridor for about 10 seconds - and into more cutscenes.

Now I personally think that Vanquish is extremely excellent and the first level does, in fact, own - but we're talking about why Platinum ended up with other people's IPs. And the answer is that their stories, plots, and characters are all off-putting to the average person, which is who they needed to appeal to for mainstream success. So much of video gaming is sold on flash and hype and those initial impressions to trailers - and Platinum just falls down in this area. I'm not saying that it's fair, just that it's reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I love Vanquish to bits but I'm terrible at shooters so it's my least played Platinum title unfortunately.