Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Rigel posted:

This is, unironically, true.

You have convinced yourself that commons and uncommons are silly boring trash, but we're playing two different games here. You are playing a game with, what, maybe 60 moving pieces over a few sets (mostly mythic rare and expensive poo poo that I am selling to you) in it? 80 if you stretch, tons of 4-ofs, where you are absolutely going to see repetitive monotonous gameplay, far more often than limited at least. Once you see their colors and a few cards you pretty much know 90%+ of their deck, all the important cards, and you launch into one of many well-practiced strategies where you try to beat that deck.

I am playing a different game. A game with HUNDREDS of pieces, crazy randomness, surprise, and wild deckbuilding on the fly. OK yeah, sure, almost all of your pieces in your game can kick the everloving poo poo out of most of my pieces in my game, but there is never a case where a constructed deck battles a limited deck, so who gives even the slightest poo poo about the relative power level? I don't even know what my deck will look like, what colors it will play, or if it will even be good when I sit down, and just because I know my opponent's colors doesn't mean I know what he'll do. There's a nearly endless realm of possibility and surprise in my game (enough at least to be fun for 3 months).

Roughly 6 weeks after release.... seriously.... how much surprise and fun is still really in your standard game?

It sounds you really like the deckbuilding part of draft, the part that i also like. I also get a couple drafts in each format, I know what it entails. Vanilla creatures and overcosted removal get boring, playing with/against decks that don't even win with creature combat does not, or at least not nearly as fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

That's why I'm asking.

Kinda strange it doesn't target. Seems like a poor idea for an intro level pack in.

Worst part about this card is that they got Terese Nielson to draw Ajani art for a bad card in an intro deck.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It is a good Ajani, tough.
E: Nielsen's rendition -- if it looked like I was praising the pw card.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Why would you play standard anymore with the possibility that something that has happened 4 times in 25+ years could happen at any moment?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i dont know, its not totally crazy to think you could have fun a fifth time

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
I mean why do anything if there is ever a chance it could end in failure

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Attorney at Funk posted:

There should be a paper version of the Standard Gauntlet where you can show up and pay basically draft prices and rent a deck for three rounds.

A good LGS would have decks available to borrow. A great LGS will have actual good decks available.

Rinkles posted:

That's why I'm asking.

Kinda strange it doesn't target. Seems like a poor idea for an intro level pack in.

Damage prevention effects don't target, you merely choose a source. I faintly recall hearing something about how if damage prevention effects target, weird things can happen, but hell if I remember it was around when the M10 rules changes were released and discussed.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hellsau posted:

A good LGS would have decks available to borrow. A great LGS will have actual good decks available.

Damage prevention effects don't target, you merely choose a source. I faintly recall hearing something about how if damage prevention effects target, weird things can happen, but hell if I remember it was around when the M10 rules changes were released and discussed.

Huh, good to know.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

I am not playing standard again until Sphinx's Revelation is reprinted.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
will you settle for blue sun's zenith?

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Hellsau posted:

I guess if you have a prodigal pyromancer it deals damage even if it dies in response to its ability, and so she damage prevention effect can't target the prodigal pyromancer otherwise you get weird plays with sacrificing pyromancer to protect its damage

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Combat damage is instantaneous so that particular issue shouldn't really matter with the Ajani enchantment.

But, yeah, it would be counterintuitive if damage prevention sizzled against a suicide bomber. It's also reasonable to expect it to work against hexproof, shroud, and particularly "protection from X."

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Eikre posted:

It's also reasonable to expect it to work against hexproof, shroud, and particularly "protection from X."

I don't see why.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Why do cards like this target?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Rinkles posted:

Huh, good to know.

Ajani's Aid not targeting also means that if the creature is removed in response, the spell won't be countered by game rules since the spell would have only one target which doesn't exist any more, and would make you lose the other half of the card to find Ajani.

Even if you did tag the original Cat with a spell that said "target creature doesn't deal combat damage this turn" before he made a billion Cats, the copies of the Cat wouldn't inherit the temporary effect and would deal damage normally.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Rinkles posted:

Because of the final clause, I imagine? It needs to determine the amount of damage being dealt in order for you to gain the right amount of life, so maybe that's related.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
turbofog rises from the depths once more

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I don't see why.

Because both damage prevention and anti-targeting effects are passive and defensive in character and it is a person's natural inclination to believe that the defensive passivity of one entity should not preclude the defensive passivity of another. I can certainly tell you that newcomers almost never intuit that "protection from X" makes a creature unblockable, for example; they just expect that the blocker's damage would be set to zero, not that its capacity to defend would be totally negated.

Awe Strike depicts a creature in genuflection, and it coerces a benefit out of it instead of just turning its attack aside. That has a more active and aggressive character. People will expect their hexproof creature not to be cowed and have its efforts leveraged against them.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Devor posted:

Ajani's Aid not targeting also means that if the creature is removed in response, the spell won't be countered by game rules since the spell would have only one target which doesn't exist any more, and would make you lose the other half of the card to find Ajani.

Even if you did tag the original Cat with a spell that said "target creature doesn't deal combat damage this turn" before he made a billion Cats, the copies of the Cat wouldn't inherit the temporary effect and would deal damage normally.

Ajani's Aid is a seal. It has tutoring as an ETB effect. The damage prevention is a separate sac effect.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Honestly if it said "an Ajani planeswalker" and not "a bad Ajani" it would be an alright card.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

mattah posted:

Dredge is still fine with the Thug.

It's really really not.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Holy moly this B&R update. :eyepop:

I for one cannot wait for a new era of Standard with regular bans.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Count Bleck posted:

Honestly if it said "an Ajani planeswalker" and not "a bad Ajani" it would be an alright card.

Yeah, but that's the exact thing Wizards wants to avoid with those cards.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I know they banned Reflector Mage to knock UW Flash down a peg, but I'm going to pretend it's because they expected a rotation before reprinting Relentless Rats in Amonkhet.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Rigel posted:

Its times like this when I recognize that my decision to be a limited-only player is a good one. Wizards caters to me, they design and develop for me before anybody else because I'm buying their boosters, selling off all the mythics, and I help fuel the secondary market, and in return I get a rich new gaming environment every 3 months, and I don't even know what I'm going to loving play when I sit down, not even my colors, and I get to play with WAY more cards than standard or eternal players. Scoff at my common vanilla creature if you want, but sometimes I'm riding that little guy to victory!

If you are not trying to be a literal magic pro and you can afford to only play limited, then just do it, trust me its probably more fun, and I have no anxiety about bans. I actively root for them, because I want to watch something interesting during pro tours.

LOL what a post. While its true they have recently catered too much to the limited crowd in set design, things seem to be heading the other direction and thankfully so.

Constructed sells more packs when WOTC is concerned. The amount of packs that have to be opened to support an average FNM is pretty staggering, much less any of the competitive events. How many packs go into making a GP or Open happen? More boxes are popped at the beginning of a new set season to support single sales than all of limited combined for that entire season. Every time and event fires with packs as prize support, yep, people just got suckered into buying more packs. We can all agree that all the other events outnumber limited events in your average LGS.

We have had plenty of sets releases where limited was poo poo and it had little affect on the popularity of the game as a whole. When constructed is poo poo, people loving panic. WOTC can have lovely limited and pay the bills. They loving sink if constructed shits the bed.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

GeneX posted:

turbofog rises from the depths once more

Yeah, I've been thinking about this the past few days. I liked played Seth's "Energy Fog" budget magic deck and I've been able to 3-1 FNM with it 4 times even a 4-0 split as well as 3+ wins during showdown.

With AER focusing on fast aggro decks I think with a few more additional changes this deck can still perform. You can take out a few cards and mainboard 2-3 Authority of the Consuls. I will have to do some more testing but I think it can be a solid T2 deck.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

More boxes are popped at the beginning of a new set season to support single sales than all of limited combined for that entire season. Every time and event fires with packs as prize support, yep, people just got suckered into buying more packs. We can all agree that all the other events outnumber limited events in your average LGS.

Not my store or any of the stores around here. I would guess that the amount of packs opened for limited events in a season at my main store is easily 20x what they open for singles at the start of the set. I think there's more product opened at prerelease alone than they open for singles.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Shovelmint posted:

Not my store or any of the stores around here. I would guess that the amount of packs opened for limited events in a season at my main store is easily 20x what they open for singles at the start of the set. I think there's more product opened at prerelease alone than they open for singles.

You are limiting yourself to the boxes opened for singles in a single store. Do you not have constructed players? Where do you think those singles come from? All the players who buy their singles online are also contributing to packs being opened (somewhere) to get the singles to sell them.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Actually a decent proportion of singles are stocked from modo redemption which comes from, you guessed it, limited.

Also your argument that prize packs drive constructed is kinda nonsense too. Limited events give prizes in packs just the same. In this day and age I don't think anyone just goes open a pack, finds a Liliana and says, "guess I'll try to open three more and play GB."

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Actually a decent proportion of singles are stocked from modo redemption which comes from, you guessed it, limited.

Also your argument that prize packs drive constructed is kinda nonsense too. Limited events give prizes in packs just the same. In this day and age I don't think anyone just goes open a pack, finds a Liliana and says, "guess I'll try to open three more and play GB."

I didn't says packs drive constructed. I said that events that use packs as prize support are just prettied up packs sales. The average FNM is just a bunch of people buying packs collectively and competing to see who takes home the most. Constructed drives pack SALES.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Every store I've been to offered store credit. If I was a constructed player I'd have no use for packs and I'd be pretty disappointed if that's what they gave out honestly.

But again that's beside the point. All events pay out in something so saying that constructed specifically is what drives product sales is wrong.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

well actually,

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Every store I've been to offered store credit. If I was a constructed player I'd have no use for packs and I'd be pretty disappointed if that's what they gave out honestly.

But again that's beside the point. All events pay out in something so saying that constructed specifically is what drives product sales is wrong.

Well I hate to break it to you, but packs have been the norm for a long time. The stores giving out store credit options are definitely going the way of the dinosaur. I am not saying they don't still exist, but the trend is there.

And since you are having reading comprehension problems, my point was that constructed drives the MOST packs sales when WOTC is concerned. Both in packs needed for constructed to build decks and in most events fired (that award packs).

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

All events pay out in something

Rare redrafts :smug:

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
DC10 is the one true format

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

What is the odds that mm2017 also has lottery cards?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

I don't know what they would include, since it's presumably going to be the Lili/Goyf/Snap/etc. lottery anyway. EMA didn't have Masterpieces and that was after we got Expeditions, though admittedly it was also before Masterpieces became an established concept.

Another thing about Masterpieces is that they're framed around the setting of the block, and the Masters sets don't have a coherent setting.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sickening posted:

Full art foil masterpiece goyf will be the only printing of that card in MM17.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

E: For doubly wrong opinion, ema and mma aren't even that good limited formats since they can't balance things very well and have to keep an eye on reprint quotas.

mm2015 wasn't that good and i never played em but the first modern masters is easily a top 3 draft format of all time

shame no one got to play it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

mm2015 wasn't that good and i never played em but the first modern masters is easily a top 3 draft format of all time

shame no one got to play it

It also was full of value in the playables. Look at the loving rares. The spirit mythics pretty lol but its a shame none of the others masters sets were anywhere as good.

• Locked thread