Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Eh, LeJackal did the same gimmick first and much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Affleck was with Jimmy Kimmel to promote Live by Night and addressed the status of The Batman

quote:

"I'm going to direct the next Batman. We're working on it," Affleck responded to Kimmel. "It's one of those things that's really frustrating because like Live by Night took me a year-and-a-half to write it and get it ready. And I worked really hard. It's just nobody gave a poo poo. Nobody was like, 'Where's Live by Night?' But with Batman I keep on getting, 'Where's the loving Batman?!" And I"m like, 'Whoa, I'm working! Give me a second.'"

http://www.newsarama.com/32667-affleck-responds-to-new-justice-league-still-latest-batman-rumors.html?utm_source=notification

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Too bad Live By Night is getting destroyed by everyone. Trailers looked alright, but I guess it's his first directorial dud. I feel like Ben is going to bail on the DCEU due to all the heat/pressure he's getting for it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How dare he want to take time to put effort into making something is good like the script instead of handing in the first fever dream written pitch he had and refusing to compromise with the studio when they call out that it's a piece of poo poo Age of Ultron I'm talking about Age of Ultron what the gently caress Age of Ultron

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Age of Ultron is baffling, but also fascinating. I can't not be fascinated with a movie where the villain never, ever clearly states what he's trying to do. It all comes in the form of stuff he says when he was literally just born and is still disoriented, or he's talking mostly to himself, or when Scarlet Witch has read his mind and they're discussing information the audience doesn't have. It's fuckin' weird, and Spader makes the absolute most of what he's given.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Halloween Jack posted:

Age of Ultron is baffling, but also fascinating. I can't not be fascinated with a movie where the villain never, ever clearly states what he's trying to do. It all comes in the form of stuff he says when he was literally just born and is still disoriented, or he's talking mostly to himself, or when Scarlet Witch has read his mind and they're discussing information the audience doesn't have. It's fuckin' weird, and Spader makes the absolute most of what he's given.

As a bonus, it's never actually clear what the heroes are trying to do either.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Hey, at least he didn't put a bullet in the head of the stakes in the third act like SOME PEOPLE.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Burkion posted:

refusing to compromise with the studio

To be fair, this is typically viewed as a noble pursuit of artistic vision by the director. In this case it just happens to be a director no one likes and hindsight shows the movie turned out poorly. This refusal is exactly what many people want when it comes to Snyder, Wright, Gunn, etc. Marvel gave Whedon just enough rope to hang himself based on all the money he made them with Avengers 1.

teagone posted:

Too bad Live By Night is getting destroyed by everyone. Trailers looked alright, but I guess it's his first directorial dud. I feel like Ben is going to bail on the DCEU due to all the heat/pressure he's getting for it.

I dunno, I think he's one of the elements along with WW that most people seemed to like. Lots of heat over Snyder's choice in tone and maybe the scripted Batman character, but definitely not his performance. I would say a solo Affleck movie has potential for big success if they don't force it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Electromax posted:

I dunno, I think he's one of the elements along with WW that most people seemed to like. Lots of heat over Snyder's choice in tone and maybe the scripted Batman character, but definitely not his performance. I would say a solo Affleck movie has potential for big success if they don't force it.

No one blamed Ben for BvS' poor reception. And yes, he and Gal Gadot's WW were the two redeeming factors for most people. I'm just getting a worrisome feeling with the way Ben's recently been talking about his involvement with the solo Batman film. There were articles last weak featuring comments where Ben came off pretty apprehensive about the project, even going as far as denying the project is in any state of development. He was quoted saying:

quote:

...it’s not a set thing and there’s no script. If it doesn’t come together in a way I think is really great I’m not going to do it.
From here: http://nerdist.com/ben-affleck-says-hell-only-the-batman-if-the-script-is-good-enough/

And with the way he reacted on the Jimmy Kimmel show, it looks like he was kind of annoyed about the Batman being brought up again, like the pressure of making the solo film is getting to him. I'm just being hyperbolic though, but I hope he eventually makes an official announcement.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I can't imagine the pressure that dude is feeling. I mean, he's getting tens of millions of dollars for it but still. He would have to be second-guessing everything at this point. The vitriol to BvS clearly took him by surprise.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I can't imagine the pressure that dude is feeling. I mean, he's getting tens of millions of dollars for it but still. He would have to be second-guessing everything at this point. The vitriol to BvS clearly took him by surprise.

Clearly he needs to bring in his buddy Kevin Smith to help him polish up that script.

"More pissing yourself, Ben. Also, some gay jokes."

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

He's probably getting tons of hate from a bunch of jaded anti-DCEU fucks like Joss Whedon was getting hate via Twitter from psychos.

We live in a hosed up entitled world.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Well, to be fair, most of Joss Whedon's hate around that time was from that dumb Black Widow poo poo that was in Avengers 2.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

When your economic future is in tatters and tomorrow is just more of the same old poo poo it's real easy to get invested in fantasy worlds where magical, powerful beings can smite your enemies and ensure your prosperity.

Just ask a medieval peasant.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 10, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just wanted to watch a good movie with friends.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

McCloud posted:

Why is Doomsday a fake blade, in this anology?

Also, you're gonna have to explain the link between what you wrote with Supes being worshipped by the dead/beaten with the victims of Zod. Use small words, please.

Also lol at this review from Jesse Eisenberg

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/11/23/an-honest-film-review

My mistake, let's consider everything Lex did up to releasing Doomsday as the fake blade. It's important to note that the entire world doesn't hate/mistrust Superman, after all he does have a monument built to him in Metropolis. So Lex commits symbolic iconoclasm to turn people against Superman. He doesn't have to have the real blade, he just has to manipulate people into believing he does.

When this plan fails, Lex no longer cares about public opinion and is willing to sacrifice everything, including the people. He abandons his symbolic attacks and unleashes Doomsday who commits literal iconoclasm on his way to kill Superman. I believe the monument wrecking is a physical manifestation of what Lex failed to do symbolically.

The Day of the Dead is a celebration to honor loved ones who've passed, like the Metropolis monuments. Superman is deeply unsettled with the admiration because he can't really help them. It's a Mexican public holiday, but the burning maquilladora is operating.

Maquilladoras operate in "special economic zones", which are fenced inside a nation's borders but they don't have to operate under government regulations including labor rights. The government exploits their poor in an attempt to lure foreign investment. A Senate committee was formed to hold Superman responsible for state level interventions. "This is how a democracy works. We talk to each other. We act by the consent of the governed." This is ideological. Superman can save someone from a burning building, but he can't save people from government sponsored labor camps, without becoming Lex's feared authoritarian figure.

"What we call God depends upon our tribe. Because God is tribal. God takes sides."

EDIT: I enjoyed that Jesse Eisenberg short story. The self centered neuroticism is almost too relatable.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 11, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There's one thing I don't understand about Affleck directing The Batman. He's contractually obligated to star in it, regardless of who directs, right? I'm pretty sure he signed some monster deal where he's locked in to at least 3 or 4 films right?

So, what he's saying is that there's a chance that he'll star as Batman in a movie that he and everyone else will know full well has a bad script? I mean, if we see him playing Batman but he's not directing, he's already explained that would be because he didn't like the script. I doubt the studio likes hearing him say that publicly.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I'm pretty sure he's saying it in an "I take this seriously and it will be very good!" way. He's going to direct it no matter what and when he does, then people will say, "Wow, he ended up directing it! He said he was only going to do that if it was good. I can't wait! This is going to turn it all around!"

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

The MSJ posted:

Also Huge Jacked Man in neon and motion blur flavors.

I see they were able to snag CelticPredator as DP.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Brother Entropy posted:

it's because sega does what nintendon't and xbox one has the wrong ram

I don't know the RAM thing about the Xbone.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

The MSJ posted:

Also Huge Jacked Man in neon and motion blur flavors.

This makes me want a nightclub scene like in John Wick but with Wolverine.

Cage fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 10, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I don't know the RAM thing about the Xbone.

The layman's version is that Microsoft went with a slower, cheaper type of RAM (DDR3) in the Xbone.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Cage posted:

This makes me want a nightclub scene like in John Wick but with Wolverine.

Well, Logan is rated R...

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Timby posted:

The layman's version is that Microsoft went with a slower, cheaper type of RAM (DDR3) in the Xbone.

It was also endemic of their initial plans of the thing becoming a replacement set top box more than a gaming console in an attempt to truly mainstream the brand. They went in the wrong direction according to the base of people who were early adopters, and they've been trying to walk it back ever since (very clumsily). Much like Warners making the switch from "our heroes exist in a world just like ours, and have to deal with the same reality we deal with" to "oh, our heroes are going to be fun now" with the DCEU.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

The Cameo posted:

It was also endemic of their initial plans of the thing becoming a replacement set top box more than a gaming console in an attempt to truly mainstream the brand. They went in the wrong direction according to the base of people who were early adopters, and they've been trying to walk it back ever since (very clumsily). Much like Warners making the switch from "our heroes exist in a world just like ours, and have to deal with the same reality we deal with" to "oh, our heroes are going to be fun now" with the DCEU.

Funny you mention that, given the recent statements of Aquaman's writer Will Beall to Collider

quote:

“It’s going to be fun, it’s going to be really fun. What we’ve come up with and James [Wan] especially — he has a really clear idea of the tone he’s going to have, and I think Aquaman is one that’s going to blow people’s minds, not just visually, but I think the story and the scope of it is really great.”

He was also asked about Justice League because he wrote an early, long since scrapped draft for it.

quote:

“I think Justice League again is, what you’re going to see — I hope I’m not going to get in trouble for saying this — but it’s much more fun, much poppier, than … I haven’t seen Wonder Woman yet, but Batman vs Superman was a little more somber. But Justice League is a lot more fun. And I think that feels to me like the direction those movies are heading now.”

http://collider.com/aquaman-story-will-beall/?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=collidersocial&utm_medium=social

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
*In stupid dummy voice* Movies should be fun, y'know? They're really just for fun.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Slugworth posted:

I see they were able to snag CelticPredator as DP.

You guys are in for a treat with the nude scene.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Yeah, that quote has been floating around for a couple of days and it was what I was thinking of when I wrote that last sentence.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I won't pretend that I predicted Snyder making a "fun" Justice League film. I just figured they would fire him.

Hell, I'm honestly not sure he's capable of it. My worse fear is that we get an honest-to-God stinker of a film out of it. Not a film that bothers people because it doesn't play to their preconceptions or ideology, but an inauthentic aping of all the worst Marvel fluff.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I won't pretend that I predicted Snyder making a "fun" Justice League film. I just figured they would fire him.

Hell, I'm honestly not sure he's capable of it. My worse fear is that we get an honest-to-God stinker of a film out of it. Not a film that bothers people because it doesn't play to their preconceptions or ideology, but an inauthentic aping of all the worst Marvel fluff.

He'll probably make a satire of Marvel. 300 was "fun."

Violator
May 15, 2003

Didn't Synder and everyone involved with BvS always say it was going to be the darkest chapter because two beloved icons were fighting? Wasn't the plan always for JL to be lighter in tone? Or is that retconning after general audiences reacted poorly to BvS?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Violator posted:

Didn't Synder and everyone involved with BvS always say it was going to be the darkest chapter because two beloved icons were fighting? Wasn't the plan always for JL to be lighter in tone? Or is that retconning after general audiences reacted poorly to BvS?

Chris Terrio said, "Batman v Superman is a bit of an Empire Strikes Back or Two Towers or any similar middle film in a trilogy."

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I think there's a difference between JL being hopeful and optimistic after a dark second act film and JL being a quippy insincere jokeathon that never takes itself seriously in attempt to ape the competition.

I'm pretty scared of it becoming the latter as well.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Maybe DC's take away will be that what everyone actually loves about the MCU is the automotive genocide.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I just watched Watchmen the other day and I swear 70% of the movie was in slow-mo. Another disappointing movie with a really good trailer

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Rough Lobster posted:

I just watched Watchmen the other day and I swear 70% of the movie was in slow-mo. Another disappointing movie with a really good trailer

I remember going to The Dark Knight on midnight release and seeing the first teasers for Watchmen, Terminator Salvation, and The Spirit, and being blown away by all three of them. The movies, especially the last two... not so much.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Maybe JL will have Ewoks. That'd be fun.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Gyges posted:

Maybe DC's take away will be that what everyone actually loves about the MCU is the automotive genocide.

Darkseid's minions destroy every automobile on the planet as a demonstration of power.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They should add quips then each time they're said, all the actors turn to the camera and give a fake used cars salesman smile and have it linger for 10 seconds. This should happen no less than 30 times in the entire film.

If reviews say it would have been the greatest DC film made because it was fun but it's ruined by those 10 second lingering shots then you'll never have to read another review by that person ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember going to The Dark Knight on midnight release and seeing the first teasers for Watchmen, Terminator Salvation, and The Spirit, and being blown away by all three of them. The movies, especially the last two... not so much.

Hey, The Spirit was great.

• Locked thread