Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Their Lewis drove as HARD AS HE COULD for about half the season and won everything and he still couldn't beat Our Rossie. That will sting him for years to come. He'll be whining like Mansell in the retirement home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Powershift posted:

I highly doubt current 3 time WDC, and future all time winningest driver of all time lewis hamilton loses any sleep to one time accidental WDC whats his name retiring.

Vettel was laughing his rear end off inside protecting Rosberg from future hated mutiple WDC Verstappen to prevent Lewis being an equal 4 times WDC, of course he's pissed his dubious tactics didn't work

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift posted:

I highly doubt current 3 time WDC, and future all time winningest driver of all time lewis hamilton loses any sleep to one time accidental WDC whats his name retiring.

Lewis lost to Nico Rosberg. Poor form.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Human Grand Prix posted:

Lewis lost to Nico Rosberg. Poor form.

Schumacher lost to Villeneuve, Senna lost to Prost. Piquet(sr) lost to Rosberg(k)

Sometimes the lesser driver gets lucky.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift posted:

Senna lost to Prost.

LMAO. Get a load of this.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Powershift posted:

Schumacher lost to Villeneuve, Senna lost to Prost. Piquet(sr) lost to Rosberg(k)

The WDC is always the best driver that year, have some respect, some may win I don't favour, but there it is

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Their Lewis drove as HARD AS HE COULD for about half the season and won everything and he still couldn't beat Our Rossie. That will sting him for years to come. He'll be whining like Mansell in the retirement home.

I enjoyed this post, laughing merrily, until the Mansell slander. Now I feel violated.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

nsaP posted:

Joe's Award just posted the only thing he's ever done worth reading.

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2017/01/10/why-this-blog-has-been-quiet/

It is. Ok, maybe he waffles at the end, but read it anyway.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

I'd prefer to get a tl;dr rather than subject my eyes to that vomit

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GramCracker posted:

I'd prefer to get a tl;dr rather than subject my eyes to that vomit

His sister was raped when she was like 20, the media coverage and trial was all sorts of hosed (wow what a surprise), she became an advocate for rape victims and died last week.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
what would be interesting to see is current F1 drivers in old cars - how quickly would they die?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

djssniper posted:

The WDC is always the best driver that year, have some respect, some may win I don't favour, but there it is

If 2012 had never happened I would agree with you.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

djssniper posted:

Vettel was laughing his rear end off inside protecting Rosberg from future hated mutiple WDC Verstappen to prevent Lewis being an equal 4 times WDC, of course he's pissed his dubious tactics didn't work

That was so shameful, when are they going to start applying the rule about bringing F1 into disrepute? They should disqualify Vettel, Rosberg and the nation of Germany

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

It's a good read.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
On a completely different subject, and level of seriousness:

quote:

When Max Verstappen was told that his business class seat back home from last year's Canadian Grand Prix had been double-booked, and that the only space left was down in economy by the toilets, you could have forgiven him for kicking up a fuss.

But if there is one thing that his team has learned from the Dutchman's arrival as a Formula 1 superstar, it is that his new-found status has not gone to his head.

So instead of moaning about what had happened, Verstappen shrugged his shoulders, realised that there are far more important things in life to get upset about it and got on with it.

For allied to his blistering speed on track, it is Verstappen's off-track attitude and enthusiasm that has won him great fans at Red Bull – and left the team confident that he and Daniel Ricciardo are well placed to not hit the self-destruct button if they find themselves fighting for the world champion hip in 2017.

Red Bull boss Christian Horner told Motorsport.com: "Max is very, very good - and he's so enthusiastic about everything. He's like a Labrador puppy that just wants to get into everything.

"Whether that's the history of the sport, whether that's what's going on in the junior formulas, or in karting, he loves his racing. He feels privileged to be a Formula 1 driver.

"There was an instance earlier in the year where flights from Montreal ended up getting double-booked and there were no business class seats available. So he ended up having to sit down by the toilets in economy.

"With others it would've been a major issue, but [with Max] it was no issue at all. We got: 'No problem, if that's what's available, I'll do it, I'll go down there'. And I think that's what's so refreshing about him. It's just enthusiasm for being a Formula 1 driver and doing what he does."

Max Verstappen, future WDC, once and future MWDC.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

JFairfax posted:

what would be interesting to see is current F1 drivers in old cars - how quickly would they die?

Current F1 drivers AND Maldonado. That would be good old fashioned Roman bloodsport.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Vasseur has left Renault.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

That's not good news, it's horrible timing and he was pretty much the only one there who has won anything ever.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Pirate Radar posted:

On a completely different subject, and level of seriousness:

Max Verstappen, future WDC, once and future MWDC.

Not-Such-A-Bad-Guy-Maybe Maximum Verstappen. At least it's nice to see, especially from a young kid who I would have assumed had the privilege go to his head. Most people his age who get a little fame and fortune would probably thrown a bit of a fit, or at least a social media breakdown.

"Sitting in economy next to the toilets" is the new "sleeping on a couch"... I'm starting to see big things for this kid's future.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

Vasseur has left Renault.

Lowe at Renault would be interesting.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
'Flew coach one time and didn't even flip out over it' is a pretty F1ish compliment.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

'Flew coach one time and didn't even flip out over it' is a pretty F1ish compliment.

It's honestly (honestly) impressive, most of these drivers are such babies.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Not to mention that it is news to begin with, any normal person would not bring this up but its obviously a story Red Bull threw out for some positive PR.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

1500quidporsche posted:

Not to mention that it is news to begin with, any normal person would not bring this up but its obviously a story Red Bull threw out for some positive PR.

I actually considered the fact that Red Bull manufactured the incident for publicity. Which is sad. Publicity stunts used to be a lot more interesting (honestly).

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

wicka posted:

It's honestly (honestly) impressive, most of these drivers are such babies.

Try and imagine Lewis put in the same position. Yeah...

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Nigel Mansell throwing a tantrum over having to sign for a rental car.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Lowe at Renault would be interesting.

He's on garden leave. I think McLaren should go after him; after all, Mercedes proved that hiring 2, 3 or even 5 technical directors is the path to success.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I dunno about F1 drivers if it were me and Horner told me to go sit by the toilets I'd be wondering why Horner could not go to the cheap seat himself, given that it was a team gently caress up, and would be quietly filing that little moment under "revenge".

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

CratSock posted:

I actually considered the fact that Red Bull manufactured the incident for publicity. Which is sad. Publicity stunts used to be a lot more interesting (honestly).

Helmut Marko on the phone with United Airlines:

:phoneb: "No, just tell him it's double booked and he's got to go sit in...uh, what's the most humiliating seating class you have again? BASIC Economy Class? Like, the cheapest poo poo you have stripped down even further so that you're essentially a half-step up from a piece of luggage? Yeah, okay...that's pretty good but...what's that? Oh yeah, perfect. Yes, by the bathrooms middle seat would be great. Thank you so much."

*Max Verstappen boards United Airlines flight 1755 to Montreal and his confusion slowly turns to quiet resignation as he passes row upon row of partially filled seating.*

*sits down in tiny cramped seat with sad, single carry on jammed down at his feet*

:tif:

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Do people usually follow drivers or teams? I tried to get into this the past 2 years and been following Bottas, and my buddy has been a Lewis Hamilton fan. It's been fun poking fun at each other and now with Bottas probably going to Mercedes it seems like the rivalry won't include being able to make fun of Mercedes. How do people usually follow the sport? Follow the driver or a team in general?

Sorry for the really dumb question still new to this sport.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

fyallm posted:

Do people usually follow drivers or teams? I tried to get into this the past 2 years and been following Bottas, and my buddy has been a Lewis Hamilton fan. It's been fun poking fun at each other and now with Bottas probably going to Mercedes it seems like the rivalry won't include being able to make fun of Mercedes. How do people usually follow the sport? Follow the driver or a team in general?

Both. Congratulations on picking the worst threads favorite drivers!

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

fyallm posted:

Depends on what appeals to you more. I follow the manufacturers and teams, the drivers are secondary to me. I imagine it's the reverse for most people.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Norns posted:

Both. Congratulations on picking the worst threads favorite drivers!

My buddy has been following f1 for a long time, we are pretty much in line with all other sports in regard to who we cheer for, so at the time I wanted to get in, I looked for someone who wasn't the best but likeable and seemed like he had potential. And not be a driver that my buddy really liked alot.

edit:

quote:

Depends on what appeals to you more. I follow the manufacturers and teams, the drivers are secondary to me. I imagine it's the reverse for most people.

Yeah I thought it would be more of a person by person basis, but curious what the more norm was.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

fyallm posted:

It really depends. I usually follow a few drivers throughout the field and one or two teams. The truth is if you follow one driver or team it gets boring really fast.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

fyallm posted:

Being a lifelong Ferrari fan is my one near-constant disappointment, other than that I just enjoy watching good race craft and more often than not the drivers I want to watch change each race weekend depending on where in the field the battles are happening. I like certain drivers, but wouldn't say that I 'follow' them so much as appreciate them treating a multimillion dollar racing car like it's a loving rental kart (Maximum Verstrappon) or screaming about how much Charlie Whiting is a oval office (Sebhonestly Vettel).

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I hope Sebastian finds his mind again. He loving lost it this year. I miss happy dance Vettle.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I usually pick a primary driver to root for and then have a few other drivers that I follow but don't generally root for as hard.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

I hope Sebastian finds his mind again. He loving lost it this year. I miss happy dance Vettle.

You are joking right? Angry as gently caress "Just Honestly" Vettel has been awesome.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I don't tend to follow drivers but the whole field. Tends to make you just not care about the people in clean air at the front zooming off into the distance, or those pootling about on their own, unless they do something interesting like crash or suffer mechanical failure. On the other hand I watch the backstage drama and team principle press conferences like a dog who has just seen a delicious joint of roast beef taken out of the oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

fyallm posted:

You need a dad thats a Hamilton fan

• Locked thread