Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Volkerball posted:

I've never wanted to go to Vegas before but goddamn I cannot wait to spend a Sunday night in a Vegas holding cell.

Say hi to OJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm going to Vegas day 1 and 2 of March Madness (day 2 incidentally is St. Patrick's Day) so it was nice knowing you all.

Content post: give me another reason to plan a trip, Raiders.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Vegas cops are good at identifying the marks from the locals. Locals go to jail marks get shuffled back to a slot machine.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It was hated by Bay Area natives decades before anyone gave a poo poo who Kerouac was just FYI.

When I get back I'm gonna post the quote from The Long Goodbye about Frisco.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Calling it "Frisco" is somewhat analogous to going to Texas, buying some cowboy boots and a Stetson, and then affecting a southern drawl while you visit the tourist spots in your rented pick up truck.

It's not so much that natives hate it when you call it Frisco, as that it marks you as not just an outsider, but one affecting to be a local, poorly.

So when someone thinks they're trolling by calling it Frisco, what they're actually doing is making themselves look like a tourist. Which, fine, whatever, the city thrives on tourism, if you've ever lived in SF you have to develop a sort of polite tolerance for tourists, but you can still roll your eyes when they're acting like by visiting the city, they're following in the footsteps of Mark Twain and being part of the Gold Rush and sportin' their six-shooters as they visit Frisco! Whatever, man. "HAW, It annoys you stuck up locals when I act like an obnoxious tourist!" is fairly lame as far as trolling goes.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Leperflesh posted:

Calling it "Frisco" is somewhat analogous to going to Texas, buying some cowboy boots and a Stetson, and then affecting a southern drawl while you visit the tourist spots in your rented pick up truck.

It's not so much that natives hate it when you call it Frisco, as that it marks you as not just an outsider, but one affecting to be a local, poorly.

So when someone thinks they're trolling by calling it Frisco, what they're actually doing is making themselves look like a tourist. Which, fine, whatever, the city thrives on tourism, if you've ever lived in SF you have to develop a sort of polite tolerance for tourists, but you can still roll your eyes when they're acting like by visiting the city, they're following in the footsteps of Mark Twain and being part of the Gold Rush and sportin' their six-shooters as they visit Frisco! Whatever, man. "HAW, It annoys you stuck up locals when I act like an obnoxious tourist!" is fairly lame as far as trolling goes.

I use the term all the time to troll. It works.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

kiimo posted:

I'm going to Vegas day 1 and 2 of March Madness (day 2 incidentally is St. Patrick's Day) so it was nice knowing you all.

Content post: give me another reason to plan a trip, Raiders.

Mr D's Sports Bar has free BBQ on Wedsnesdays

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

warcrimes posted:

Mr D's Sports Bar has free BBQ on Wedsnesdays

I'm from KC. That would be like a guy from Maine getting free lobster at the Flamingo buffet.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

kiimo posted:

I'm from KC. That would be like a guy from Maine getting free lobster at the Flamingo buffet.

It's free. and hot bartenders in bikinis.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Nobody cares if you call it Frisco anymore

(Because they're all tech bro transplants)

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I've never heard anyone say Oaklandish out loud but I bet people do.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Emperor Norton was complaining about "Frisco" back in the 1800s. I should look into when it started.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bip Roberts posted:

That's the name of a clothing store.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Bip Roberts posted:

Woo woooooo

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

https://twitter.com/JimTrotter_NFL/status/818965551229771776

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

The league is gonna force Dean to stay, hahaha

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

I guess Dean has been a real dick about this whole thing then.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Sell The Team Dean

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Volkerball posted:

I guess Dean has been a real dick about this whole thing then.

What...Dean Spanos? Noooo, I don't believe it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I guess it is easier to change ownership than it is to change sea level.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Grittybeard posted:

What...Dean Spanos? Noooo, I don't believe it.

I was at least under the impression he gave SD a legitimate shot like Mark did with Oakland, and it just wasn't yielding any potential avenues towards a stadium. But if the league thinks SD is "salvageable," then they obviously see routes he hasn't pursued available.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Volkerball posted:

I was at least under the impression he gave SD a legitimate shot like Mark did with Oakland, and it just wasn't yielding any potential avenues towards a stadium. But if the league thinks SD is "salvageable," then they obviously see routes he hasn't pursued available.
The route is "Mission Valley".

The rest of the league is telling dean to quit being a loving baby about Downtown and get something done in Mission Valley, which is what he should have done years ago

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm not as familiar as others but I think building a new stadium in place of the old one without having tax payers foot the bill is doable.

Especially if they sell the team to someone with a vision of how to do it without increasing traffic or taxing people who hate taxes.

edit: SA2K should just answer and I should let him.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
2015 season : Eric weddle has tears in his eyes as the Chargers wave goodbye to their stadium and they prepare move to LA

2016:??

Edit: [it's always sunny in Philadelphia music]

2017: SA2K "lol the Chargers aren't moving to LA"

Blitz of 404 Error fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 11, 2017

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I think it's funny at this point

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

a neat cape posted:

I think it's funny at this point

someday it will be over.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Someday we'll all die

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

a neat cape posted:

The route is "Mission Valley".

The rest of the league is telling dean to quit being a loving baby about Downtown and get something done in Mission Valley, which is what he should have done years ago

I think the NFL cannot in good faith argue that Spanos needs to get a stadium a few miles down 805 "or else" while also allowing other teams like SF to relocate an hour or so away from their equivalent of downtown. Being downtown in and of itself is valuable to Spanos himself, but the Chargers already have approval for a new stadium at the current location with public funds which is 10x more valuable to the league as a whole.

At this point, everyone acknowledges that Spanos is only holding out to line his pockets and the league would rather take the money on the table than let him take a shot at LA. If Spanos maintains his holdout, I think Goodell will either force him to sell or take the relocation fee waiver off of the table.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

Zurreco posted:

I think the NFL cannot in good faith argue that Spanos needs to get a stadium a few miles down 805 "or else" while also allowing other teams like SF to relocate an hour or so away from their equivalent of downtown. Being downtown in and of itself is valuable to Spanos himself, but the Chargers already have approval for a new stadium at the current location with public funds which is 10x more valuable to the league as a whole.

At this point, everyone acknowledges that Spanos is only holding out to line his pockets and the league would rather take the money on the table than let him take a shot at LA. If Spanos maintains his holdout, I think Goodell will either force him to sell or take the relocation fee waiver off of the table.

This makes me hope Spanos keeps holding out.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I put the odds of Goodell forcing anyone to sell at about zero. Maybe if there's a big racist thing like Donald Sterling, but I doubt it even in that case.

If the other owners feel like we do about Spanos I could see him making life as difficult as possible for him other than that though.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

I put the odds of Goodell forcing anyone to sell at about zero. Maybe if there's a big racist thing like Donald Sterling, but I doubt it even in that case.

If the other owners feel like we do about Spanos I could see him making life as difficult as possible for him other than that though.

The thing is that if Spanos doesn't play ball, they could revoke his approval to move to LA, kill any extra money and force the team to continue to languish in Qualcomm until he caves or sells the team. He's not rich enough to build a new stadium himself or get enough private financing. If they really get sick of his bullshit then they could put the screws to him. He's nowhere near as aggressive as Al Davis so a protracted lawsuit isn't something the NFL should really fear from Spanos.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
gently caress Dean Spanos

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I'm just disappointed we're not gonna get the LA Raiders 2.0. :thurman:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Blitz7x posted:

2015 season : Eric weddle has tears in his eyes as the Chargers wave goodbye to their stadium and they prepare move to LA

hahahaha

Chinatown posted:

gently caress Dean Spanos

:same:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Shangri-Law School posted:

Emperor Norton was complaining about "Frisco" back in the 1800s. I should look into when it started.

Emperor Norton I posted:

Whoever after due and proper warning shall be heard to utter the abominable word "Frisco," which has no linguistic or other warrant, shall be deemed guilty of a High Misdemeanor, and shall pay into the Imperial Treasury as penalty the sum of twenty-five dollars.

:911:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

In 1867, a policeman named Armand Barbier arrested Norton to commit him to involuntary treatment for a mental disorder.[3] The Emperor's arrest outraged the citizens and sparked scathing editorials in the newspapers. Police Chief Patrick Crowley ordered Norton released and issued a formal apology on behalf of the police force.[10] Crowley wrote "that he had shed no blood; robbed no one; and despoiled no country; which is more than can be said of his fellows in that line."[17] Norton magnanimously granted an Imperial Pardon to the errant policeman. All police officers of San Francisco thereafter saluted Norton as he passed in the street.[35]

:911:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Emperor Norton I: the first and best crazy street dude in SF.

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=43

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Zurreco posted:

So a couple differences between whatever dumpster fire Spanos wants and Santa Clara.

1) Santa Clara has a weird as gently caress public-private deal. The 49ers holding company got like, 450 million in loans from banks and then re-lent(lended? lend? If any English major wants to give me the proper terminology I'm open to it) it to the Santa Clara stadium authority at some retardly high interest rate (6-7 percent). The rent money the niners pay goes back to paying this for...some reason. This part seems overly convoluted. The other part of the deal was the stadium authority taking out a 400 million dollar bank loan that has to be paid off in three years through PSLs/Naming rights, etc. There's a federal subsidy of like 120 million that we're all on the hook for (if you live in the US that is, screw you rest of the world). While I would be hard pressed to call Levi Stadium "privately funded", because all the city stadium authority is still on the hook for literally 850 million dollars in loans, it's sort of privately funded because the business side of the Niners, stuff that normally make the team a shitload of money (PSLs, suite revenue, naming rights) are going to pay for the stadium. Dean Spanos

2) Dean Spanos wants the city/county/state to pay for his stupid downtown football stadium and not give them a loving dime in the process. This is a major issue because what incentive do taxpayers have to go "sure, take a billion dollar and build your stadium downtown"? None. This makes even less sense when you realize he's trying to lump in the convention center upgrade to make it seem more enticing, but really the SDCC doesn't need 300 million in renovations or whatever hilarious number they came up with. The SDCC already has a ton of big events and plenty of dates. All that money won't bring in enough dates to make a difference. If you need more proof that Spanos wants his cake and to eat it too, the city council (or at least a few members) LITERALLY OFFERED HIM FREE LAND DOWNTOWN TO BUILD THE STADIUM! The caveat of course was he had to build the thing himself. He basically told them to go gently caress themselves.

A few questions since I'm not from the area and haven't been following this mess since it got hilarious. The first is where the hell is Mission Valley and why the gently caress is Spanos so angrily against building a stadium there? Also, is the money really approved for that site? I thought someone said that but I wasn't able to find anything of the sort on Field of Schemes.

Blitz7x posted:

I would watch the poo poo out of "The Gang Tries to build a Football Stadium".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Laughing at the NFL already realizing LA is a failure, begging the Chargers not to move there while giving copious amounts of money to stay in SD.

• Locked thread