Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The really embarassing thing is that I didn't realize it was a package car, even though I worked at UPS for over a year back in the mid-90s. It struck me as being very familiar and my brain went to "oh it's a divco" because of Moocow's thread.

And yeah those package cars get driven the hell out of them, at the SF hub we had plenty of them with upwards of 1M miles, and those are mostly city miles. If I remember right, they came in three sizes - "ten cube" "eight cube" and "six cube" which I think translated as 1000, 800, and 600 cubic feet of cargo space?

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I've worked for UPS twice now, so....

Management or union?

I worked preload. Unloaded feeders for a few weeks to start, then loaded three ten cubes on the 94105 line for six months or so, then moved up to the head of the line and split the 05 belt while loading two cars for the rest of my time there. Also went on strike, that sucked. Missing like three months of work was not worth a .50 raise. I quit a couple months later when I did the math and figured out how many years of work it would take before I'd make up the lost income. I had to skip a semester of college because of that poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I worked reload and car wash for four years. I learned to drive a manual transmission in a non-synchro four speed package car. :)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Leperflesh posted:

Management or union?

I worked preload. Unloaded feeders for a few weeks to start, then loaded three ten cubes on the 94105 line for six months or so, then moved up to the head of the line and split the 05 belt while loading two cars for the rest of my time there. Also went on strike, that sucked. Missing like three months of work was not worth a .50 raise. I quit a couple months later when I did the math and figured out how many years of work it would take before I'd make up the lost income. I had to skip a semester of college because of that poo poo!

Union when I was in a warehouse, seasonal (non-union) as a driver helper.

I worked the midnight shift as a loader in a large hub - I primarily loaded 18 wheelers going to Wichita Falls

I had to unload a few trucks when unload was short handed. I really preferred that - the required packages per minute was way higher, but all I had to do is grab a box, spin it until the label was on the top or sides, and move on. Loading was a "you gotta build a solid brick wall out of boxes" poo poo that took a lot longer, and back then their scanners were pretty terrible, so I'd wind up having to punch in way too many tracking numbers. It's not like the walls ever held together past the first pothole anyway.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

...but all I had to do is grab a box, spin it until the label was on the top or sides...

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

What alternate dimension was this?

(Asks the guy that did three years on a sort aisle.)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Unload has scanners on the belt that scan the top and sides of every box coming off of the truck. Didn't have to read anything, everything was coming off the truck.

Unload was also expected to handle something like 1200 items per hour.

With load, I'd have to read (and scan) each label. The scanner I had wouldn't tell me if I had a missort or if it was a different level of service (I was only supposed to load ground). They may have changed the scanners a bit, this was 10+ years ago.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
... so when are you guys planning on making a go at the truck again? Asking for... reasons.

Also, why the hell are you guys derailing the gently caress out of this awesome thread to blather about UPS?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
hey dude ups trucks are cool.

i think thats where it started.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Bud K ninja sword posted:

hey dude ups trucks are cool.

i think thats where it started.

There was a picture of a field with a UPS truck in it, that was initially mis-identified as a Divco. That's where it came from.

But, I agree, that's kind of neither here nor there for this thread. I think March or April was the tentative re-start date?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah when I was unloading (I think around... 1996? 7?) we had to scan items ourselves as we put them on the exit belt. And it was indeed 1200 per hour. Unloading could be dangerous, you had to pull down those walls of poo poo, usually some jerk would put a very heavy box right on top, and in order to get the rollers in the trailer to be remotely useful they'd tilt the whole trailer back a few degrees, so those walls wanted really badly to crush you.

kastein posted:

Also, why the hell are you guys derailing the gently caress out of this awesome thread to blather about UPS?

Because there's a UPS truck in this picture (which I mistook for a Divco).

ExplodingSims posted:

You can see where the old exhaust was, so I think that's roughly where I'll go with the new one.

It's not like we're interrupting a Sims update or anything.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

kastein posted:

... so when are you guys planning on making a go at the truck again? Asking for... reasons.

It depends on what Dave's plans/job situation is, but probably like late March or April.

Also, I'm cool with UPS chat for now, for two reasons:
A. I have a relevant story. My dad used to work for UPS when he was going to college in the '70s, and he confirmed that they used trucks FOR-EVER there. He said they still had trucks from the '50s when he was there.

Which leads into point B, which is that the truck frame that the AD truck is built on, (AKA my truck) was also used for UPS trucks back in the '50s.
As can be seen here:

Except they get FANCY THINGS like shock absorbers.

(Oh, and BTW, I think I've posted this before, but if anyone wants to see the billion and one configurations you could get this truck in, I've scanned and uploaded the sales brochure for it: http://imgur.com/a/uEanf)

I guess in the meantime though, if you guys wanna generate some thread relevant conversation, you guys can start throwing out some engine recommendations.
My end goal for this truck is more for hauling heavy things, not being a speed demon. (Though I would like to keep it able to maintain highway speeds)

So I'm open to ideas. I've never worked on a diesel anything in my life before, but I'm willing to learn.
My only real criteria would be something modern-ish, with fuel injection.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ExplodingSims posted:

My only real criteria would be something modern-ish, with fuel injection.

Well that eliminates all the big block options I was going to suggest. Only the 8100 had decent injection, and it doesn't share any parts with regular BBCs. So yeah, probably looking at a diesel, sadly.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

ExplodingSims posted:

It depends on what Dave's plans/job situation is, but probably like late March or April.

Before we all get our hopes up and start planning things, has this been cleared by danno?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

mariooncrack posted:

Before we all get our hopes up and start planning things, has this been cleared by danno?

Yeah, we've talked behind the scenes and we will be able to return.

Raluek posted:

Well that eliminates all the big block options I was going to suggest. Only the 8100 had decent injection, and it doesn't share any parts with regular BBCs. So yeah, probably looking at a diesel, sadly.

I mean, I'm not saying no to carb'd engines, so I'd still like to see what you had in mind.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Raluek posted:

Given the narrow dimensions of this truck wouldn't an inline motor be the best for permanent fitment? Maybe a Cummins?

(Of course if you do decide to go 8100 I still have that complete 8.1/allison truck that needs to go somewhere :q: )

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

angryrobots posted:

Given the narrow dimensions of this truck wouldn't an inline motor be the best for permanent fitment? Maybe a Cummins?
RB26DETT

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DD13, DD15, DD16. Those are brand new Detroit Diesel options.

There's a bunch of still supported older ones, too. A series 50 detroit diesel is an inline 8.5L four cylinder that can make up to 320HP, and the ones made since 2001 have EGR. The series 50 and 60s also have Electronic Unit Injection.

But the inline sixes, that'd be where you have the most options, I'd think. The 60, the DDs I mentioned, the MBE 900 and 4000, the 6-71 (made from 1938 to 1990!), etc..

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 11, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ford Barra I6 Turbo

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
My work truck (2007 Chevrolet W4500, a rebadged Isuzu cabover) has an LQ4, and I have never wanted for power, even with 4 tons of paint on the bed. You really can't go wrong with an LS.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

RB30 with a 26DETT head. Get that extra torque.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ExplodingSims posted:

I mean, I'm not saying no to carb'd engines, so I'd still like to see what you had in mind.

I think I've posted this before, but I like what HRM did with their Big Hero VI, the motor that now powers Stubby Bob.
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/1506-how-to-pick-up-big-power-on-a-junkyard-454-with-simple-cam-swap/
428HP/507ft-lb with just cam and springs (and carburetor conversion and long-tubes, but that should go without saying)

angryrobots posted:

(Of course if you do decide to go 8100 I still have that complete 8.1/allison truck that needs to go somewhere :q: )

That's a good point. BBC would probably have all sorts of problems with that steering box.

Left Ventricle posted:

You really can't go wrong with an LS.

This is definitely true. I'm not sure it will have the stump-pulling torque that a truck like this would be best suited by, though?

Raluek fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 11, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You can get 2JZ stuck to autos out of aristos pretty much everywhere for cheap.

You can also get 8.3 cummins or 7.6 international DT466s pretty much everywhere for cheap too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What is the price range? Would something like this just be too expensive?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Detroit-Ddec-15-Diesel-Engine/201732185143?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Or is this more the kind of budget:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-71-Detroit-Diesel-Good-Running-Take-Out-Truck-Engine-/162348863717

e. Also does the dump truck action need a rear PTO? Because if so:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-71N-RC-Detroit-Diesel-Running-Take-out-Engine-w-Rear-PTO-/172443016423

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 11, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A dressed DD15 would pretzel the frame.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Intern...itXqLqI&vxp=mtr

This is the sweet spot right there. ~1000lbs. whole bunch of horsepower and torque. you might be able to find one with the allison 6 speed still attached.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

DD13, DD15, DD16. Those are brand new Detroit Diesel options.

There's a bunch of still supported older ones, too. A series 50 detroit diesel is an inline 8.5L four cylinder that can make up to 320HP, and the ones made since 2001 have EGR. The series 50 and 60s also have Electronic Unit Injection.

But the inline sixes, that'd be where you have the most options, I'd think. The 60, the DDs I mentioned, the MBE 900 and 4000, the 6-71 (made from 1938 to 1990!), etc..

DD13/15/16, 50/60 Series and to a lesser extent 6-71 are way too loving big unless we're looking seriously at an engine behind the cab or lifting/relocating the cab a few feet or whatever. And with a DD1x there's a fuckton of engine management going on, not like you can just throw a megasquirt at it and get down the road.

Also I wouldn't want to be within a 5 mile radius of an $8000 DD15.

efb kinda. DT466 would own if it fits. Or do a little 4-53T and go SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 11, 2017

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Next project?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/142237329833?roken2=ti.pSmFtZXMgTWNCcmlkZQ%3D%3D

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

DD13/15/16, 50/60 Series and to a lesser extent 6-71 are way too loving big unless we're looking seriously at an engine behind the cab or lifting/relocating the cab a few feet or whatever. And with a DD1x there's a fuckton of engine management going on, not like you can just throw a megasquirt at it and get down the road.

efb kinda. DT466 would own if it fits. Or do a little 4-53T and go SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Aw. Well, OK. I like the way they sound, but I guess it's overkill. :(

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjGOIdObwoQ

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeahhhh.

Not a huge fan of the "smoke tune" or whatever (maybe it's just billowing smoke because it needs work) but pretty much everything else about that is fantastic.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's 2 stroke. Think dirtbike only diesel burning and fuckoff huge.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Leperflesh posted:

Yeahhhh.

Not a huge fan of the "smoke tune" or whatever (maybe it's just billowing smoke because it needs work) but pretty much everything else about that is fantastic.

They said in the comments that the smoke was due to a stuck injector and went away when they replaced it.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I like your enthusiasm, but I think most of these engines are bigger then the engine space + cab.
Also holy loving lol $8000 is abit above what I'm looking to spend, yes.

Oh, if only I lived somewhere with snow. This thing is awesome!

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Leperflesh posted:

Yeahhhh.

That's mostly just "being a 2 stroke diesel" more than any bro-douche tune.

e:fb

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Powershift posted:

It's 2 stroke. Think dirtbike only diesel burning and fuckoff huge.

Yeah, actually, 2-stroke doesn't have to mean literally billowing thick clouds smoke, if it's tuned and running right. There's always gonna be some smoke of course, but that looked like way too much.

ExplodingSims posted:

I like your enthusiasm, but I think most of these engines are bigger then the engine space + cab.
Also holy loving lol $8000 is abit above what I'm looking to spend, yes.

OK just wondering, yeah you can get these right down to the $1k range for older/more used/etc. but if they're too big, they're too big.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If you think there's too much smoke there, you should see one with 3 million miles on it engine braking down a hill.

detroits are dirty, dirty things.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
What's the word on Mercedes inline 5 diesels? I've googled a few recently for a potential diesel swap in the very far future and they seem pretty affordable but I don't know if they have the HP you'd wan't.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Breakfast Feud posted:

What's the word on Mercedes inline 5 diesels? I've googled a few recently for a potential diesel swap in the very far future and they seem pretty affordable but I don't know if they have the HP you'd wan't.

In an empty van, they're slow. In a loaded van, they're SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

I kinda like the sound of the DT466. Do you have some info on it's general dimensions?

Also, as far as the 4-43T goes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IKPecdbis0

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ExplodingSims posted:

I kinda like the sound of the DT466. Do you have some info on it's general dimensions?

It's not much longer than a 5.9 cummins. some guys have stuck them in regular pickups.

they range from early 165hp/500ftlbs mechanical fuel injection all the way up to 300hp/800ft/lbs common rail.

I got a bus with one and an allison trans in it for $2500 and it gets that thing moving in a hurry.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

ExplodingSims posted:

They're pretty big but not behemoths. It varies based on generation and configuration but 50" long, 30" wide, 45" tall (and the intake comes straight up out of the combination intake manifold/valve cover you'll find on the early electronic ones so factor some extra height in there, mechanically injected ones as well as the newer gen have a regular manifold) is a good overall ballpark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic
Throw a Cummins in 'er boss

But seriously, the all-mechanical diesel 12v 5.9 liter 6BT Cummins would be a great if boring/common choice.

Might I suggest this engine in particular, please note that it is in Athens, TX "The Black-Eyed Pea Capital of the World" and local pickup only.

• Locked thread