Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Storks voice acting probably helped the movie a lot, aside from several of the actors doing lines together (the two main characters have great chemistry), the two head wolves are Key and Peele :buddy: Also Tulip's voice actor isn't some big movie star, she's pretty much exclusively a voice actress and she's really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OOFwZn_bnM

It's interesting that there was that article about Tulip not even being in the movie at all before the trailers came out and only starred the four dudes, because she's one of the most important characters in the movie. I liked her character and design a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The humour in Storks was a bit too zany wacky woop woop for me, but I'll admit the wolves are pretty drat funny.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is this english because I feel like I understood maybe three words.

Although I somehow managed to completely miss Storks. From the little bits and pieces I saw I kind of want to watch it. Hope it hit Netflix real soon.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 11, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Unmature posted:

(also hey, check this out there's a new Cartoons 101 that's cool it's a good show I like it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBeGF1qo33g What? The channel just hit 20,000 views and 700 subs? That's cool too it's a good show I like it)

I showed my boyfriend videos from your channel last night! He's a big Animaniacs fan so he enjoyed the stuff about Spielberg in animation.

There's 2 of us enjoying your vids now so I guess I should double my Patreon pledge...

I just started reading a huuuge biography of Spielberg yesterday, I'm not sure what it covers beyond his directorial work but I hope there's some stuff in there about his toon producing.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

So the doll for Belle from the live-action Beauty and the Beast has been revealed, and... oh

Oh

Puppet Master reboot lookin' good.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Martytoof posted:

Is this english because I feel like I understood maybe three words.

Although I somehow managed to completely miss Storks. From the little bits and pieces I saw I kind of want to watch it. Hope it hit Netflix real soon.
From what I can tell:

Human girl (Tulip?): Okay, well, I'll not use the bucket!
Stork: Wait, what?
Green-head pigeon dude: Ha ha, Tulip doesn't fit in! We're all the same, and she's a weirdo!
Stork: Woah woah woah, that's not nice, she's-
Green-head pigeon dude: She's had a hard life!
Stork: Oooooooooooookaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks, I managed to piece it together after repeated watching. I'm like that with english that has the slightest hint of an accent.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYHv3GJtjto

What is this? Hype? Am I hyped right now? For Cars 3?

nah not really

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

I showed my boyfriend videos from your channel last night! He's a big Animaniacs fan so he enjoyed the stuff about Spielberg in animation.

There's 2 of us enjoying your vids now so I guess I should double my Patreon pledge...

I just started reading a huuuge biography of Spielberg yesterday, I'm not sure what it covers beyond his directorial work but I hope there's some stuff in there about his toon producing.

That's so cool! I hope my videos get brought up in your future couples counseling as the thing that saved your relationship.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Did Cars 2 continue from cars one, or was it mostly standalone from the McQueen story?

This is what Studio Ghibli's doing these days? Is there an A team and a B team?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRRNrqqfMgA

Rona: The Robber's Daughter looks terrible. That animation is awful.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Rona is a TV show and thus presumably on a much tighter budget than their usual output. Additionally, lot of staffers left in 2015 to found their own studio. With Miyazaki being retired and Takahata sort of doing his own thing, it's unclear if we'll ever see another film from Ghibli.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Ni no Kuni 2 looks better than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7ZNmEJgXCE

Unmature
May 9, 2008
There's a gay ice skater shaped hole in my life. What are the dopest animes currently airing that I should be paying attention to? Preferably available on Crunchyroll.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Drifter posted:

Did Cars 2 continue from cars one, or was it mostly standalone from the McQueen story?

This is what Studio Ghibli's doing these days? Is there an A team and a B team?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRRNrqqfMgA

Rona: The Robber's Daughter looks terrible. That animation is awful.

The absolute lack of secondary is really throwing me. Is the hair even rigged?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Macaluso posted:

Verdict: Storks was awesome. The animation is fast and frantic in the same way Emperor's New Groove was, so it was a ton of fun the whole time. The ending was very sweet.

I had kind of forgotten about Storks and was interested in seeing it when it first came out...after watching it tonight I regret going to see The Magnificent Seven over this because I enjoyed Storks waaaaaaay more than I thought I would

also regarding the end my friend corrected me about the letters, since I too thought they were for general orders or something, and said "no those are people who wanted babies but never got them" which made a lot of the shots of the parents overcome with emotions all the more :gbsmith:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Unmature posted:

There's a gay ice skater shaped hole in my life. What are the dopest animes currently airing that I should be paying attention to? Preferably available on Crunchyroll.

The Rakugo show might be in your wheelhouse if you are looking for something very mature and different. Little witch academia will probably be the highlight of the season in terms of animation, but that's not on Crunchyroll. The Maid Dragon show from Kyoani might be better than you'd think. There's a few other things that might surprise people.

Yeah otherwise it's a pretty weak season.

Watch Hand Shakers if you want to see a train wreck.

https://twitter.com/ANNJakeH/status/818894738069688320

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Animation Thread 2017: The Maid Dragon Show from Kyoani Might Be Better than You'd Think

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Just sums it all up, doesn't it

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

SatansBestBuddy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYHv3GJtjto

What is this? Hype? Am I hyped right now? For Cars 3?

nah not really

I love how the very serious tone clashes so hard with the giant googly eye character designs that they don't let any shot linger on anyone's face. Can't keep that up for 90 minutes though.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

You ask for the anime you get the anime

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Unmature posted:

Flip Flappers just finished and should appeal for similar reasons, if you haven't already watched it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Enh, YoI is about adults in healthy relationships. Flip Flappers is kinda the definition of My Problematic Fave.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Flip Flappers have overly sexualized loli characters, so I'm giving it a hard pass.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mob Psycho 100 finished last year, and it's a really good showcase of some creative animation.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Waffleman_ posted:

Mob Psycho 100 finished last year, and it's a really good showcase of some creative animation.

It's the best thing out this season that isn't Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, for sure, and a more impressive work of animation even then.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Thanks for the recs. I'm actually working on Mob Psycho 100 right now based on past recommendations from this thread and really enjoying it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
If we're on anime... I just got Cowboy Bebop on bluray. I've never actually seen the show, just the movie.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Honestly, even for Anime - Winter is always a weak season, but it looks positively dire this time. Little Witch Academia is the only promising one and who knows when Netflix will put that up.

Also curious, what do people in the thread think of The Gregory Horror Show?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

If we're on anime... I just got Cowboy Bebop on bluray. I've never actually seen the show, just the movie.

You are in for a treat.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Cowboy Bebop is a good but depressing show.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And Yoko Kanno knocks it out of the park with music - as usual. People love to bitch about dubs, but Cowboy Bebop has a really fantastic one.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Robindaybird posted:

And Yoko Kanno knocks it out of the park with music - as usual. People love to bitch about dubs, but Cowboy Bebop has a really fantastic one.

I'm more tolerant with dubs when it comes to animation, but even subbing purists dig Cowboy Bebop's dub.

I really ought to watch Space Dandy.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

It's also more violent than I remembered, and I remembered it being pretty violent. I'm surprised it's only PG-13, but I'm guessing that was Disney's influence.

You can get away with more in animation. The first Rebuild of Evangelion movie also got a PG-13 and is brutal as gently caress, and even has a quick boob flash in it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Robindaybird posted:

Yoko Kanno's Wolf's Rain soundtrack is in my top 5 soundtracks ever and the song "Strangers" from it (sung by Raj Ramayya) is one of my favourite songs ever.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I can take or leave Macross Plus, but god drat I love Information High and Borderline

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I've fallen out non-cinematic anime these last few years, but Monster, Samurai Champloo and Paranoia Agent remain real good.
I also have a soft spot for Madoka Magica due in a large part to them collage witches and that silhouetted fight sequence. :swoon:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Monster is so good, but Viz has given up on it in the west, so it's not legally available anywhere. Gotta go that deep web that daaaark web.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Das Boo posted:

I've fallen out non-cinematic anime these last few years, but Monster, Samurai Champloo and Paranoia Agent remain real good.
I also have a soft spot for Madoka Magica due in a large part to them collage witches and that silhouetted fight sequence. :swoon:

I still have a lot of fondness for Madoka Magica even though I largely stay away from anime.
I kind of wish I could share it or talk about it more but I don't hang around anime/animation interested people, and the ones who do like animation HATE depressing stories.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Waffleman_ posted:

Monster is so good, but Viz has given up on it in the west, so it's not legally available anywhere. Gotta go that deep web that daaaark web.

A part of me hopped at one time this was because of licensing issues with Del Toro developing it as an HBO series. Which wow, I thought that might actually happen at some point. I managed to catch its one run on Sci-Fi which was nice, because it was extremely my mom's poo poo and she has trouble with the right-to-left manga format.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I still have a lot of fondness for Madoka Magica even though I largely stay away from anime.
I kind of wish I could share it or talk about it more but I don't hang around anime/animation interested people, and the ones who do like animation HATE depressing stories.

Depressing animation is the best animation and I'm sorry for your plight. It was a real gas recommending it to fellow animation studentS. It always came with my very strong warning of "WATCH THREE EPISODES BEFORE YOU DECIDE."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm more tolerant with dubs when it comes to animation, but even subbing purists dig Cowboy Bebop's dub.

I really ought to watch Space Dandy.

The dub is better than the sub, although that's normally not the case.