Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Is it weird that I'm happy Talbot is coming back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Aida makes Dolores look like a fuckin iMac

hahahaha, that had me legit giggling for a while

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Oh it was a Radcliffe LMD

Nevermind, I guess they just let him go home after such a crazy thing.

I find it hard to believe that SHIELD doesn't have his house under surveillance.

Of course for the sake of mystery everything he's doing at home will still be unknown to the spy agency.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
edit: misread

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

PierreTheMime posted:

Is it weird that I'm happy Talbot is coming back?

No. Talbot is great.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Welp, that's what you get for getting into a chopper with your sister who hired men to kill you, and also the guy who tried to kill you unilaterally. I wonder if Vijay's power is that everytime he "dies" he comes back with a new power.

I'm curious who the Higher Up is going to turn out to be. I'm trying to think of some villain. But it will probably just be some new character.

I want to think Coulson knows that May is a LMD, or at least not really May.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Coulson was being weird as poo poo with May in the locked room.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"Now the big question, will they call this guy Quicksilver?"
*3 minutes later*
"...or just Lead"

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
"We were so close, she had it in her hand Aida, in her hand !"
"And then"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTzw0Mg8zYo

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

muscles like this! posted:

This right here is exactly how The Lawnmower Man ends.

That was great; I appreciate a good Lawnmower Man reference out of nowhere.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

twistedmentat posted:

Welp, that's what you get for getting into a chopper with your sister who hired men to kill you, and also the guy who tried to kill you unilaterally. I wonder if Vijay's power is that everytime he "dies" he comes back with a new power.

I'm curious who the Higher Up is going to turn out to be. I'm trying to think of some villain. But it will probably just be some new character.

Don't we already know who the Superior is? He's the Smoke Monster.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
How likely is it that Senator Nadeer could be an unactivated Inhuman? If her brother carries the gene, then she could be a potential carrier too, right?

I love me some Inhuman on Inhuman fights, though I doubt we'll be seeing too many before this season's third act.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Don't we already know who the Superior is? He's the Smoke Monster.

Potential Suspects, in rough order:

* Ex-Agent Blake
* General Talbot
* Director Mace
* Dr. Radcliffe
* Another Ex-Shield Agent

Completely random outlier: Gravitron / Quinn Evil Powercouple

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

How likely is it that Senator Nadeer could be an unactivated Inhuman? If her brother carries the gene, then she could be a potential carrier too, right?

I'd say there would be a really good chance. Plus it would fit in with that trope of bigot secretly being the thing they are bigoted against.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Open Source Idiom posted:

I love me some Inhuman on Inhuman fights, though I doubt we'll be seeing too many before this season's third act.

Potential Suspects, in rough order:

* Ex-Agent Blake
* General Talbot
* Director Mace
* Dr. Radcliffe
* Another Ex-Shield Agent

Completely random outlier: Gravitron / Quinn Evil Powercouple

Put Ward on the list.

Just because.

Ok seriously, anytime they make a list of potential suspects on this show, Coulson should include Ward.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Put Ward on the list.

Just because.

Ok seriously, anytime they make a list of potential suspects on this show, Coulson should include Ward.

To be fair he's cheated death twice. I'd include him every time too.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I actually think it's pretty certain that Coulson knows May isn't May. When he tore down the camera in that room and told her about the Darkhold, that was the only way Aida could have found out about it. None of them really like Radcliffe anyways except Fitz.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
That was amazing. Something I've always wanted was when the question is asked "Are they robots really developing sentence/feelings/emotions?" for the answer to be "Actually, no." I don't think that has ever happened before.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Looks like 5th season is still in the cards:

In an interview with EW, head of ABC entertainment division Channing Dungey posted:

A few Marvel questions. How do you move these shows forward when Netflix has gained so much ground with Jessica Jones? How do you feel about the state of Marvel on ABC?
Look, we are incredibly encouraged. Season 4 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has been creatively the strongest season we’ve had yet. The episodes just keep getting better and stronger. And that’s another one for us that we moved from 9 to 10 and yet even though the HUD levels are softer at 10, the live-same-day has remained the same and that’s another one of our shows which regularly goes up triple digits over the seven-day period, anywhere from 100 to 110 percent.

So you see a future for S.H.I.E.L.D.?
Absolutely. I’m very bullish on S.H.I.E.L.D. and we’re also really excited about our production with Marvel, ABC Studios, and IMAX, which we are working on for next fall as well.

Link: http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/10/abc-scandal-free-fall-lineup-once-upon-time/

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
im glad to hear that he is bullish

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

counterfeitsaint posted:

That was amazing. Something I've always wanted was when the question is asked "Are they robots really developing sentence/feelings/emotions?" for the answer to be "Actually, no." I don't think that has ever happened before.

I'd be surprised if "no" is actually the case by the end of this arc, though. Radcliffe is a secret mastermind, but I'd guess Aida eventually "defies" him after developing genuine affections for the team...or just towards Fitz. Or possibly LMD-May does this, since she's only semi-aware of her nature at the moment.

You'd think this "sentient robot" conversation would more centrally reference Ultron and Vision. I think they might've said something about the former last year, but it's not like intelligent robots aren't a thing in this setting.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

They did reference Ultron in this episode though? It was just a quick throwaway line, but they did say it.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

hope and vaseline posted:

They did reference Ultron in this episode though? It was just a quick throwaway line, but they did say it.

I think they offhandedly mentioned Ultron in an Aida episode before the break, too. I'm just reacting to how Mack and Yo-Yo kept referencing evil AI movies...one of them happened IRL. A crazy robot tried to kill everyone for real like 2 years ago, also another robot who can phase through stuff is floating around.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The Terminator line made it all worth it though.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
As much as we all like Mack and his shotgunaxe, I want to see a story where Aida kills him and the only ones who can prove that it was actually Radclifes fault is the desperate insurance company which really really doesn't want to pay out the insane robots uprising premiums.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

cant cook creole bream posted:

As much as we all like Mack and his shotgunaxe, I want to see a story where Aida kills him and the only ones who can prove that it was actually Radclifes fault is the desperate insurance company which really really doesn't want to pay out the insane robots uprising premiums.

I really, really like this storyline. Wouldn't want to trade Mack for it, though. I guess if he was leaving the show anyway....

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The casting call for Inhumans is out. These are the characters listed

[BRODERICK]Male. 30-40. Caucasian. Can say volumes with just a look. Strong, thoughtful and private, he’s unaccustomed to being questioned or feeling a need to answer to anyone, to an extent that can verge on arrogance. SERIES REGULAR, AEP.

[MARJORIE]Female. 30-40. Caucasian. An elegant and intelligent advisor to her husband, she struggles to find her place outside of their relationship, as others tend to view her as just a pretty face. Strong and resourceful, she’s not afraid to break the rules when the situation demands it. SERIES REGULAR, AEP.

[MARTY]Male. 30-40. Caucasian. Broderick’s younger brother; he is intelligent, charming and articulate. He comes across as a man of the people but secretly covets power. SERIES REGULAR, AEP.

[KEVIN]Male. 30-40. Open. Slight of build, his mind is his greatest asset. Always prepared with a plan, his outlook on life is the glass is always half-empty and often cracked and dirty as well. Though his outlook can be grim he has a droll, dry sense of humor. SERIES REGULAR, AEP.

[GRADY]Male. 25-35. Open. Impetuous and brash, he has serious impulse control issues which frequently get him into trouble whether its women, booze or fighting. He loves life and lives in the moment for better or worse. SERIES REGULAR, AEP.

[CHRISTINE]Female. 18-25 to play 18. Caucasian. Soulful but still learning the ways of the world, she has the arrogance of youth. Impetuous and independent she is also deeply devoted to her family. SERIES REGULAR, AEP.

[TIMOTHY]Male. 25-35. Open. SFXMU required. Supremely athletic. The ultimate picture of cool. He’s calm under pressure and willing to do anything to get the job done.

In order those are clearly Black Bolt, Medusa, Maximus, Karnak, Gorgon, Crystal, and Triton. So basically all the Royals.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What does SFXMU stand for?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

What does SFXMU stand for?

Special FX Makeup.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Can we starting calling them Broderick and Marjorie in the comics? Please.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I think Vijay's probably the Inhuman equivalent of Darwin. His power seems to be tied to his life being threatened; until that guy pulled a gun on him, he didn't seem to have any powers at all, whereas most other Inhumans have really obvious powers that they have a hard time controlling at first. He didn't seem to be fully aware of himself during the fight, either, operating more or less on pure instinct until his sister snapped him out of it. So I think his superpower is basically just "survive." He couldn't do anything about his sister's bullet because he didn't see it coming, so instead his powers just shoved him into a regenerative cocoon as soon as he was away from her.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Spergatory posted:

I think Vijay's probably the Inhuman equivalent of Darwin. His power seems to be tied to his life being threatened; until that guy pulled a gun on him, he didn't seem to have any powers at all, whereas most other Inhumans have really obvious powers that they have a hard time controlling at first. He didn't seem to be fully aware of himself during the fight, either, operating more or less on pure instinct until his sister snapped him out of it. So I think his superpower is basically just "survive." He couldn't do anything about his sister's bullet because he didn't see it coming, so instead his powers just shoved him into a regenerative cocoon as soon as he was away from her.

Same thought I had. He's just gonna keep evolving powers on the fly that'll keep him alive.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Season 4 Episode 9: Broken Promises

http://i.imgur.com/AQViAGQ.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/oqO5kg0.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/k5np1GF.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/ywPrxPe.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/Afm4UKe.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/2IljVK7.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/jE7nfmA.gifv

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

muscles like this! posted:

It would be kind of funny if Vijay had the power of a DC comics character, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resurrection_Man_(comics) Every time he dies he comes back to life with a different power.

Hahaha yes! A lesser known but great character. His team up with Hitman was fantastic.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
That was... possibly the worst episode since season 1.

Mack's quips were worth him being in the episode, but only just. Otherwise he and yoyo were absolutely worthless to the actual plot (and wasted effects budget fighting a driverless plane).

Every one of the lines in the Daisy/Mace/Simmons B plot was forced and would have easily been the worst part of almost every other episode, but it was over (under?) shadowed by the even worse writing/acting in the Vijay/Senator scenes. She was terrible and he was written like the blonde bimbo in a slasher flick. Why would he get into that helicopter? I mean, I get following the sister, but that dude just tried to kill him. What gives?

I'll give the A plot some leeway, and I'm a bit happy they are going away from the robot gains sentience, turns bad trope. But they're replacing it with an even worse mad scientists is evil trope. This show's been so good at twisting tropes before, why screw it all up now?

Also Coulson has to know May is a bot, otherwise he is just randomly saying poo poo that's hilariously out of character for him. I'm guessing Coulson just wants to find out how well the sex bot works and figures real May is fine with being drugged and kept in a closet.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

kayakyakr posted:

Mack's quips were worth him being in the episode, but only just. Otherwise he and yoyo were absolutely worthless to the actual plot (and wasted effects budget fighting a driverless plane).

Every one of the lines in the Daisy/Mace/Simmons B plot was forced and would have easily been the worst part of almost every other episode, but it was over (under?) shadowed by the even worse writing/acting in the Vijay/Senator scenes. She was terrible and he was written like the blonde bimbo in a slasher flick. Why would he get into that helicopter? I mean, I get following the sister, but that dude just tried to kill him. What gives?

I'll give the A plot some leeway, and I'm a bit happy they are going away from the robot gains sentience, turns bad trope. But they're replacing it with an even worse mad scientists is evil trope. This show's been so good at twisting tropes before, why screw it all up now?

Also Coulson has to know May is a bot, otherwise he is just randomly saying poo poo that's hilariously out of character for him. I'm guessing Coulson just wants to find out how well the sex bot works and figures real May is fine with being drugged and kept in a closet.

I thought something about the directing and acting seemed off in this episode. This was especially true of the scenes between Vijay and the Senator, I thought he was absolutely terrible and she seemed really terrible as well (but I had no problem with her in previous episodes). The scene where the guys come out with a gun to his head and he pleads to his sister for his life seemed really really off to me, he didn't seem to be scared or emotional or anything, seemed like he was flat and was just reading his lines somewhat monotonously. The scenes before that where he and his sister were talking seemed really stilted and painful too.

And then for some reason even the scenes without those two seemed a bit stilted to me, maybe it was because those scenes made me hyper-aware of the level of acting.

I had no problem with the script, however. Just the acting/direction/line readings seemed off. Maybe for some sort of scheduling reason, this episode had to be filmed and edited in a really rushed manner?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

This raises the question of exactly how sharp is the shotgun-axe, considering that he chopped off the head one-handed.

:black101:

edit: Apparently Peter fuckin' Dinklage is in talks to join the MCU for Infinity War. Which either means Pip the Troll, or we could have Tyrion Lannister as the voice of goddamned Mephisto.

And that is totally a Mephisto who'd go ahead and slap an ambigram across the cover of the Darkhold for shits and giggles.

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 12, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, it's Infinity War. Even I know there's a short guy.

And I'm just assuming Mack made his ax out of same stuff Cap's shield is made of. It's all SHIELD so vibranium (or other made-up comic metal) for everyone.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

kayakyakr posted:

Agreed. Reading all the praise over the past few pages of this thread made me wonder if I watched another show. This episode was really, really bad. The whole Mack & Yoyo vs. the plane scene was dumb as gently caress (what will shooting shotguns at a loving plane accomplish?) and the Radcliffe twist felt forced and made zero sense in light of the last scene from the midseason finale where Ada was shown to be secretly modeling a human brain based on what she learned from the book.

The first episodes after midseason breaks have always rocked on this show, so I'm pretty drat disappointed. This was a new low for sure.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

enraged_camel posted:

The whole Mack & Yoyo vs. the plane scene was dumb as gently caress (what will shooting shotguns at a loving plane accomplish?) and the Radcliffe twist felt forced and made zero sense in light of the last scene from the midseason finale where Ada was shown to be secretly modeling a human brain based on what she learned from the book.

A. The last scene from the finale was Aida, murdering that dude and revealing May tied up in the closet.

B. This episode made it obvious that the Darkhold affected Radcliffe, not Aida, and that she was acting at his direction. She was obviously modeling May's brain based on the brain scan they did of May when they saved her life by murdering her, and obviously doing so at her evil creators direction.

Stunt Rock fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I mean if the only weapon you have is a gun, you're going to loving use it, even if it is out of desperation. And while I can understand not being into the Nadeer family stuff, that was kinda eh, this was far from the worst episode even if you ignore Season 1. We got an interesting take on robot sentience, evil John Hannah, nerdy sci-fi references, and a Shotgun-Axe decapitation. I'm pretty happy.

• Locked thread