Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Perestroika posted:

Under the Shadow recently popped up on Netflix, and I've been very pleasantly surprised by it. It's a rather slow burn especially during the beginning, but it manages to build up to some really incredibly tense and creepy moments. The unique setting (Tehran during the Iran-Iraq war) keeps things fresh and interesting, and the movie manages to walk a fine line of ambivalence where you're never quite sure what is real and what may just be imagined by the characters.

Yeah it's pretty good. More than anything I liked how much character focus there was, which is pretty rare in horror movies. it would hold up allright even without the horror aspect. The scares are really few and far between though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah it's pretty good. More than anything I liked how much character focus there was, which is pretty rare in horror movies. it would hold up allright even without the horror aspect. The scares are really few and far between though.

I agree. It also had fantastic sound design.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Filthy Hans posted:

The Dominic Purcell movie was Assault on Wall St. Rampage 2 had the same lead (Brendan Fletcher) as the first one, but in the second he shaves his head, grows a thick beard, holds a TV station hostage and has daddy issue phone calls with his parents before murdering everyone.
Well poo poo. Now I kinda want to watch it but how could it be good? :ohdear:

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Tween-safe Stand-up comedians?
Cussing doesn't bother me, but explicit sex jokes and drug jokes are a challenge - some aren't that horrible, and then OH poo poo A BONG-HIT-BLOWJOB JOKE poo poo SKIP SKIP SKIP.

My boys love comedy. Love stand-up comedians like Kevin Hart, and I've found TV-edited stand-up shows, but I'm at a loss for comedians that don't get HELLA explicit but also don't tell jokes about the glory of jesus.

I found Jim Gaffigan, he's amusing but kind of uhh, I don't want to say boring, maybe an acquired taste?

Any suggestions other than Bill Cosby?

Like - even George Carlin kind of stuff is worthy, I think.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

your boys are going to have to learn about bong hit blowjobs eventually

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

John Mulaney but you're probably already familiar.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

your boys are going to have to learn about bong hit blowjobs eventually
It's not the learning about - it's the jizz-splosion jokes that inevitably show up. I'm not uncomfortable with sex topics, just these odd moments that spurt into the jokes and I want to cringe.

A MIRACLE posted:

John Mulaney but you're probably already familiar.
Nope - checking him out thanks.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

magnificent7 posted:

Cussing doesn't bother me, but explicit sex jokes and drug jokes are a challenge - some aren't that horrible, and then OH poo poo A BONG-HIT-BLOWJOB JOKE poo poo SKIP SKIP SKIP.

My boys love comedy. Love stand-up comedians like Kevin Hart, and I've found TV-edited stand-up shows, but I'm at a loss for comedians that don't get HELLA explicit but also don't tell jokes about the glory of jesus.

I found Jim Gaffigan, he's amusing but kind of uhh, I don't want to say boring, maybe an acquired taste?

Brian Regan is like, the king of clean humor. Don't know where you can watch him, though.
John Mulaney, as mentioned.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Franchescanado posted:

Brian Regan is like, the king of clean humor. Don't know where you can watch him, though.

He's got several full routines on youtube.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

magnificent7 posted:

For a sample, look for Salt and Pepper Diner on YT.

He's a bit too mannered for him to ever become one of my favorites, but that bit is one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

For a sample, look for Salt and Pepper Diner on YT.

He's a bit too mannered for him to ever become one of my favorites, but that bit is one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

BWAM BWUM -- WHAT'S NEW, PUSSYCAT?!

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

magnificent7 posted:

Patton Oswalt isn't clean, but he doesn't discuss sex a lot either. If you're fine with Carlin, you're probably fine with Oswalt.

Mike Birbiglia and Jerry Seinfeld fit the "clean" image pretty well. I don't remember a lot of raunchy humor in Demetri Martin's stuff either.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If one thing is going to thrive during the Trump years, it'll be standup.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My vote is for Sam Kinnison.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Detective No. 27 posted:

If one thing is going to thrive during the Trump years, it'll be standup.

People said that about George W Bush as well. I don't remember any bits that made his presidency particularly worth it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sarchasm posted:

Patton Oswalt isn't clean, but he doesn't discuss sex a lot either. If you're fine with Carlin, you're probably fine with Oswalt.

Mike Birbiglia and Jerry Seinfeld fit the "clean" image pretty well. I don't remember a lot of raunchy humor in Demetri Martin's stuff either.

I can't remember if Aziz Ansari gets too vulgar. He did starting out, but after Funny People, he dropped a lot of the vulgarities with his "Rodney" character, or whatever he called it.

Mitch Hedberg, Steven Wright. Eddie Izzard is great, though I don't know you or your kids stance on cross dressing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sarchasm posted:

People said that about George W Bush as well. I don't remember any bits that made his presidency particularly worth it.

I remember David Cross being pretty good in those years. He didn't have much to go on during the Obama Administration. Though I'll admit, I don't really follow standup comedy.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Sarchasm posted:

I was gonna post the black bush skit from chapelle show but it doesnt seem to be on youtube 🤔

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Demetri Martin is a comedian?

Steve Martin stand up anywhere?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Demetri Martin is extremely kid-friendly as I recall. He has a special on Netflix right now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sarchasm posted:

If you can handle like 1 or 2 F bombs and maybe a mildly dirty joke here and there I think demetri Martin is a great recommendation for a young teen.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Don't let your tweens hear sex jokes. They don't learn about sex until their mid-20's these days.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

magnificent7 posted:

It's not the learning about - it's the jizz-splosion jokes that inevitably show up. I'm not uncomfortable with sex topics, just these odd moments that spurt into the jokes and I want to cringe.

the best bit he does is "the salt and pepper diner"

if you're not crying with laughter by the end of it....I dunno man.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Short Penguin posted:

the best bit he does is "the salt and pepper diner"

if you're not crying with laughter by the end of it....I dunno man.

I dunno, the titular "New In Town" bit and "Chasing the Train" bits are great. "Def Jam Home Alone Jokes" is a personal favorite, too.

Mulaney's a funny guy. He deserves to do something big, maybe like a stint on broadway, instead of those "Oh Hello" codgers that stink up the stage with too many tuna jokes.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

magnificent7 posted:

Gary Gulman is pretty clean, and his special is really good.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

magnificent7 posted:

Mitch Hedberg is perfect for tweens despite some drug jokes.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

magnificent7 posted:

Watch old episodes of Space Ghost

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
look its all here
http://www.adultswim.com/videos/space-ghost-coast-to-coast/

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Sarchasm posted:

Almost worth it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZnuYKKtpxg

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's crazy to think that Space Ghost either directly or indirectly spawned an entire genre of comedy and it's still classier than the competition.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Sarchasm posted:

Which is odd, because early 2000 and 2001 will always be remembered as some of the most fun years in America!

I'm sure it was mentioned, but for family friendly comedians, you can't go wrong with Brian Regan.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Stephen Wright is a good clean comedian

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Hat Thoughts posted:

Make them watch the entire uncut version of Fire Ant.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

magnificent7 posted:

Brian Regan is appropriate for that age and he's pretty funny.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Oh and give Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee a shot. It's funny people hanging out together.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

ChickenMedium posted:

Make them watch the entire uncut version of Fire Ant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldt5lVWX1rs

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Hat Thoughts posted:

This is good advice, no matter what the question was. Crack a window open, will ya? Crack... all the windows open.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

magnificent7 posted:

Trevor Noah. And old Bill Cosby, that poo poo was hilarious when I was a little kid.

blood_dot_biz
Feb 24, 2013
Embrace of the Serpent is streaming free on Prime right now and is absolutely worth your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

coyo7e posted:

Trevor Noah. And old Bill Cosby, that poo poo was hilarious when I was a little kid.

I disagree, Bill Cosby puts a lot of people to sleep.