Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

For a second there I confused properties and thought we'd get Marvel's Ares on the big screen and got really excited. I want to hear his big speech about how tactical retreats and supply lines and Genever Conventions are all crap that that other god of war worries about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

ungulateman posted:

Like, BvS has the same general concept, except Batman is really obviously wrong - even if he's wrong for the right reasons. Superman actually could be an existential threat, and he does need limitations - it's just that those limitations are human morality, because he is a genuinely good person.

Well, unfortunately, the movie says that he's not a genuinely good person. He goes bad if Lois dies. Which is honestly kind of a bummer.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Well, unfortunately, the movie says that he's not a genuinely good person. He goes bad if Lois dies. Which is honestly kind of a bummer.

I looked at it more as the movie showing that he has the potential to go bad, as we all do, because we are human. He also has the potential to turn away from that and be a good person in spite of it, because he is human.

In one way I guess that's a bummer, because no, Superman is not a perfect infallible God. Like any other person, we as a society have to give him the benefit of the doubt that he will do the right thing, until he doesn't.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

"You let her die" could very well have referred to Martha. "Lois is the key" a scene later may be referring to different events since Flash time travelled too far. Or refer to the same event since listening to Lois is what stops Batman from killing Clark.

Hmm, actually the nightmare makes a lot of sense as a consequence if Batman killed Superman. Superman comes back to life and serves Darkeseid because of disgust with humanity killing his mother. Batman has lost entirely who he was and now just flat out kills with handguns. Flash tried to travel back to stop Batman from doing it, goes too far, tells him to listen to Lois.

greatn fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 11, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know if all Batman does is sing Superman's praises, and that's all Flash knows about him "You were right about him, you were always right!"

That's gonna make that message even more awkward.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Burkion posted:

You know if all Batman does is sing Superman's praises, and that's all Flash knows about him "You were right about him, you were always right!"

That's gonna make that message even more awkward.

What if that flash was from the knightmare future as I outlined in my edit.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I love the visuals of Batman's Vision but I found it to be a little awkward. Not as bad as everyone makes it to be but the choreography is a little stilted and doesn't quite work, and the Bad Superman turn and making his morality all about "her" (either wife or mother) undercuts the movie's theme that he really is a good guy trying to do the right thing.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

edit; wrong thread.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

I love the visuals of Batman's Vision but I found it to be a little awkward. Not as bad as everyone makes it to be but the choreography is a little stilted and doesn't quite work, and the Bad Superman turn and making his morality all about "her" (either wife or mother) undercuts the movie's theme that he really is a good guy trying to do the right thing.
You're confused. Batman and Stark are almost the same person, but Vision works for Stark.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rewatched Civil War yday, that movie really flows and is just action packed from end to end. So much fun.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

In my theory I'm thinking it's less about "her" and more about Batman's actions. Superman turned against humanity because he looked at Batman and found them wanting.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Shageletic posted:

Rewatched Civil War yday, that movie really flows and is just action packed from end to end. So much fun.

I know people kept hating on the airport fight but I liked it a lot. The shots of them running at each other were dorky as hell obviously but the actual action was fun and it was cool to see everyone's abilities used against each other, plus I went in totally blind so the build up and execution of Giant Man was amazing.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

greatn posted:

In my theory I'm thinking it's less about "her" and more about Batman's actions. Superman turned against humanity because he looked at Batman and found them wanting.

I guess. It just seems like the guy who turned down being King of New Krypton and sacrificed every last vestige of his native culture to defend Earth would need something truly horrific to push him over that line. Something like, I don't know, they fire a nuke at him when he goes back to Kansas and it kills every single person in Smallville. Basically showing that We Are Zod, Too.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I guess. It just seems like the guy who turned down being King of New Krypton and sacrificed every last vestige of his native culture to defend Earth would need something truly horrific to push him over that line. Something like, I don't know, they fire a nuke at him when he goes back to Kansas and it kills every single person in Smallville. Basically showing that We Are Zod, Too.

Man, if the government fires ANOTHER nuke at Superman in the next movie I'm gonna roll my eyes so fuckin' hard.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

I know people kept hating on the airport fight but I liked it a lot. The shots of them running at each other were dorky as hell obviously but the actual action was fun and it was cool to see everyone's abilities used against each other, plus I went in totally blind so the build up and execution of Giant Man was amazing.

There was some awkward compositing at the beginning of the airport fight, and also anytime people ran they looked like they were doing an impression of someone running rather than actually running. But other than that it was really good. As is usual for the MCU, when the CG artists took over the action direction it got significantly better, with less choppy editing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Drifter posted:

Man, if the government fires ANOTHER nuke at Superman in the next movie I'm gonna roll my eyes so fuckin' hard.

They can do it only if he comes back to life at pre-Crisis power levels. Like he catches the nuke, crushes it into a little ball, and the explosion is contained inside of his cupped hands. All you hear is a *fwump* and you see his hands briefly go transparent in x-ray light.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

greatn posted:

You can see some of this in Clark's reaction to Perry's brusque dismissal of his investigation into Batman. A vigilante avenger so brutal even the people he rescues are terrified of him is old hat and less worthy of coverage than a charity soiree puff piece. If Batman was in any way responsible for either Martha or Lois's deaths in the Knightmare timeline, the dovetailing works perfectly.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
We already know from Superman IV: The Quest for Peace how that would turn out.

Actually there was an episode of the George Reeves Superman series that was chilling to me when I saw it as a kid. Superman gets mega irradiated while preventing a nuclear meltdown. Basically he just like walks into the nuclear plant core and manually moves some cooling rods around or whatever so he prevents this massive nuclear disaster and saves hundreds of people. The radiation has zero effect on him personally but like any living thing he walks by afterwards would get immediate radiation sickness and die, any plants he comes near immediately shrivel up and wilt to death immediately, etc.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The thing to remember about dark future evil Superman is that he's still not actually turned against humanity. He's a fascist cult leading dear leader type guy, but he's not killing all humans and tattooing Zod Was Right on their foreheads.

It's a world where instead of Pa Kent being wrong while Jor-El was right, they were both wrong. Humanity does fear Kal-El, but they also found a way to hurt him through Lois/Martha/Her. Something that changed his self given mission from showing humanity the way a better world, to dragging humanity toward a "better way". It's still not a Kryptonian dystopia of doom, but he's lost much of his humanity at the same time.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Superman becomes the every-girlfriend and during his death nee "Healing Matrix" he has a bad dream about Batman doing heinous poo poo and when he wakes up he spends half the movie being super-pissed off at Batman.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah it was pretty imaginative and Spider-man in motion was a real treat. Makes me really hungry for more of him.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Grendels Dad posted:

For a second there I confused properties and thought we'd get Marvel's Ares on the big screen and got really excited. I want to hear his big speech about how tactical retreats and supply lines and Genever Conventions are all crap that that other god of war worries about.

Athena, goddess of outsmarting and outsmirking your opponent.

:smug:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Shageletic posted:

It was decent but had too many extraneous subplots. Who cares about Wanda and Vision, or Spiderman, save that stuff for Avengers III-----there's a pretty good movie in there about Cap, Bucky, Zemo and Iron Man but it's only an hour long and buried in a lot of previews for other stuff.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Shageletic posted:

I agree completely, I was surprised to see such backlash in this thread. I'd go so far as to call Civil War my favorite superhero movie.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I think mine's still Blade

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!
I'm guessing the Flash's "you were right about him" will be Batman refusing to believe that Superman has actually turned utterly towards evil. And Lois is the key probably doesn't need to be explained.

Also if it's mind control Darkseid will probably use the Anti-Life Equation in some fashion because it is literally a negation of free will by the total crushing of hope.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
"The Anti-Life Equation" brings a smile to face every time I read it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
To keep it modern Darkseid should use the Anti-Vaxx Equation.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm guessing the Flash's "you were right about him" will be Batman refusing to believe that Superman has actually turned utterly towards evil. And Lois is the key probably doesn't need to be explained.

Also if it's mind control Darkseid will probably use the Anti-Life Equation in some fashion because it is literally a negation of free will by the total crushing of hope.

The anti-life equation is just no match for some horrific Midwestern jello casserole and Ma Kent's wise words of encouragement. You may have crushed hope, but this lime jello's got shaved vegetables and canned fruit in it. Checkmate, Darkseid.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
To defeat Darkseid Batman and the Flash booby trap every sofa and reclining chair in the world.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

It was decent but had too many extraneous subplots. Who cares about Wanda and Vision, or Spiderman, save that stuff for Avengers III-----there's a pretty good movie in there about Cap, Bucky, Zemo and Iron Man but it's only an hour long and buried in a lot of previews for other stuff.

I dunno, I thought the Wanda/Vision stuff went well with the whole setting the boundaries for being superheroes theme the movie was going for, where the robot really tries to act human, and the human can't help but be something else. It shows where Iron Man's head is, pathologically unable to let things go, and Vision's concurrence with that view, a mechanical mathematical analysis of variances, at odds with Captain America's gut level of moral rectitude.

I thought Spider-man/Black Panther fit organically into the movie (well, the latter more than the former, but the former justified by how great his inclusion was), and each had believable movtivations tying into the greater thematic hole (accepting authority/embracing revenge, respectively).

EDIT: I think the mystery element helped propel the non-violent parts of the flick, and was a great inclusion. Superheroes are going to need stuff like this to justify themsleves as we move into the next dozen movies of 'em.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

"The Anti-Life Equation" brings a smile to face every time I read it.

"death" is a bit strong, we're rebranding it as "alt-life" now.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The movie says that a crazy guy dreams Superman is bad.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Martman posted:

The movie says that a crazy guy dreams Superman is bad.

The movie takes some effort to show it's not just a crazy guy's dream.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Even if it's not just his dream, I'm not taking everything Flash says there at face value. He could be entirely wrong.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

I figure something like that might have happened following the gradual alienation of Superman from humanity following the disappearance of Superman's last two living links to humanity. The loss of some specific person just got the ball rolling.

hohoh0
Apr 5, 2003

TEH GRAPPLER
Dinklage!

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/peter-dinklage-avengers-infinity-war-1201954237/

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The movie takes some effort to show it's not just a crazy guy's dream.
I'm certainly willing to accept that it's more than just a vision, but my interpretation is that it's the influence of Darkseid reaching Batman through his access to Luthor's files. The decryption leads directly into Batman having this vision, and I like to think that all of that was a roundabout way of showing the influence of the Anti-Life Equation.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The dream is a dream, but Flash really does appear in the batcave---that happens after Batman wakes up. Naturally, Batman equates the dream and the visit as related, but Flash didn't intend to show up at that point: "you were right about him!" and "Lois is the key!" probably have nothing to do with the dream or the words "she was my world, and you took her from me."

HOWEVER, the fact that dream-Superman uses those words (plus the appearance of Parademons in the dream) means it was more than a random play of neurons while Batman slept. Nevertheless I don't see where it's inferrable that this necessarily would happen if Lois were "taken" from Kal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, it seems to be a bit much to call Batman's dreams visions of the future. I mean, I guess I personally missed that those flying things were Parademons and that Flash showed up for real and not just in a "I woke up, no I didn't" dream. So I should probably go rewatchng that sequence. But even still unless Batman suddenly has psychic powers I don't think we should be taking it for granted that Supes is going evil Space Hitler if Lois dies. That's just Batman's obvious fear, that if you cut his tie story humanity he'll turn into the alien threat he's afraid of. If something or someone else played off that and influenced some ideas, or conveniently time jumped right after, I guess I have to go watch again now.

• Locked thread