Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
In addition to GURPS and the indie games (Strike Witch, Grey Ranks, Shab-al-Hiri Roach:Overlord), there are a ton of WWII-but-with-horror games - not just Weird War II (for D20 and Savage Worlds) but Lovecraft efforts like Achtung! Cthulhu and World War Cthulhu. Oh, and don't forget Godlike for WWII-but-wirh-supers.

For you weird collectors out there, there's an early 1980s effort at a WWII game from FASA titled Behind Enemy Lines, which got a pair of supplements (British Commandos and Guns of Navaronne). And the old wargaming company SPI won an early Origins Best RPG award for their not-really-an-RPG game Commando.

FMguru fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
B-17 Queen of the Skies is kind of like an RPG

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Elfgames posted:

it's name would be based on the shounen jump motto

It isn't even based on it because its actual name is just Friendship, Effort, Victory.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

While it's not WWII, for military-ish based games there's also MASHED, which is PbtA and takes place during the Korean War.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Oh man they're doing a Freeport book for Shadow of the Demon Lord. Rad.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

Oh snap that's actually really cool and good.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Serf posted:

Ooh, that's going to be a really good fit. Although it'll probably be a little more lighthearted than normal SotDL.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Ooh, that's going to be a really good fit. Although it'll probably be a little more lighthearted than normal SotDL.

Have you read Forbidden Rules yet? Endurance and Fortune Points can be used to turn SotDL into an awesome hybrid of D&D 4E and FFG Star Wars. Perfect fit for Freeport I think.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, I meant more in terms of tone (Freeport is more on the swashbuckly and pulpy adventure end of things) really.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Oh definitely. I just mean the rules are there to support a different tone like that of Freeport. With some hacking I think SotDL could be used to run most D&D settings.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Haha cool. On the subject of anime and WW2 (sort of) TRPGs i found out there's a Girls und Panzer RPG with the shinobigami system.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Plutonis posted:

Haha cool. On the subject of anime and WW2 (sort of) TRPGs i found out there's a Girls und Panzer RPG with the shinobigami system.

How is Shinobigami?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Someone GM it for me so I can pass an opinion

e: And link me the TG discord

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 11, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

How many systems have they done a Freeport for, anyway?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I know 3e, 4e, Pathfinder, Savage Worlds, and Fate Accelerated.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Plutonis posted:

Someone GM it for me so I can pass an opinion

e: And link me the TG discord

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know where else to say this, but holy poo poo Godbound is really good. The FATAL and friends writeup of Shadow of the Demon Lord made me look at it over on DTRPG and while I was picking that book up I figured I'd get the free version of Godbound too because I remembered it getting some good reviews. I was pretty unimpressed with Stars without Number and Silent Legions, but Godbound just seems fantastic.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

So is there an actual reason for this edit, or was it just a spur of the moment kind of thing

Do note that I'm no fan of Trump, I'm just legitimately confused here

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

https://boingboing.net/2017/01/10/bombshell-report-trump-paid-t.html

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Looks like urine for a surprise.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I picked one hell of a time to find the chat thread after realizing something was missing from my bookmarks. :stare:

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Ettin posted:

Looks like urine for a surprise.

It's an absurd story but I kind of believe it. This time, I think that the truth is somewhere in the piddle.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I don't know where else to say this, but holy poo poo Godbound is really good. The FATAL and friends writeup of Shadow of the Demon Lord made me look at it over on DTRPG and while I was picking that book up I figured I'd get the free version of Godbound too because I remembered it getting some good reviews. I was pretty unimpressed with Stars without Number and Silent Legions, but Godbound just seems fantastic.
I ran 3 sessions.

It really is that good.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Sion posted:

It's an absurd story but I kind of believe it. This time, I think that the truth is somewhere in the piddle.

As I have learned from President Trump, if it is on twitter it is more likely to be true than anything put out by professional journalists or intelligence operatives.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Man if this guy is gonna hire people to piss on everything where the Obamas have been you're gonna have to rename it to the Yellow House.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

If a /pol/ prank can backfire and end in a coup against the president of US in its first month, 2017 is the year where Irony Poisoning will depopulate Earth

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Plutonis posted:

If a /pol/ prank can backfire and end in a coup against the president of US in its first month, 2017 is the year where Irony Poisoning will depopulate Earth

It's not a /pol/ prank (that does not necessarily mean it's true)

Serf
May 5, 2011

My next president is a pissloving Russian stooge. It would be funny if it wasn't also horrifying

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
There is a one page WW2 rpg that is I believe pbta. Can't recall the name. The author also reflavored the rules to do Colonial Marines/Aliens. Both are free on the authors page.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

It's not a /pol/ prank (that does not necessarily mean it's true)

Apparently the channers were trying to take credit for it in some fashion. Though what little I saw on the subject suggested that those claims were post-facto, and most seemed as shocked as anyone.

That said, I will find something horribly funny if a twitter storm about golden showers brings down the twitter president.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

FastestGunAlive posted:

There is a one page WW2 rpg that is I believe pbta. Can't recall the name. The author also reflavored the rules to do Colonial Marines/Aliens. Both are free on the authors page.

That would be this:

Doodmons posted:

The Regiment is a pretty solid WW2 RPG that fits onto 12 pages and neatly models volume of fire, battle stress and regimental-level bureaucratic fuckups. It's a lot of fun. Other than that, GURPS and Night Witches are the only two I'd recommend. Grey Ranks is definitely a WW2 RPG but you'd have to be made of pretty stern stuff to find that fun, imo.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FastestGunAlive posted:

Operation Husky by Moriarty Games is a PBTA-hack about the crew of an M4 Sherman during the invasion of Siciliy

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-ssoH7YZYcYeEN1V1BzQmVTYXM/view

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

FastestGunAlive posted:

Doodmons posted:

The Regiment is a pretty solid WW2 RPG that fits onto 12 pages and neatly models volume of fire, battle stress and regimental-level bureaucratic fuckups. It's a lot of fun. Other than that, GURPS and Night Witches are the only two I'd recommend. Grey Ranks is definitely a WW2 RPG but you'd have to be made of pretty stern stuff to find that fun, imo.

If you want the Aliens hack of it, it's on John Harper's old blog here, fyi.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Oh word. Also if you search through dtrpg there are a number of other indie, rules light/storygame rpgs on ww2 which I also have never played.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I'm always leery of world war 2 games because there seems to be a lot of dudes who are REALLY into the nazis

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You can run into those even without setting your game in WW2.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Actually most TRPGs I've encountered don't really cover playing as the Germans.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Desiden posted:

Apparently the channers were trying to take credit for it in some fashion. Though what little I saw on the subject suggested that those claims were post-facto, and most seemed as shocked as anyone.

That said, I will find something horribly funny if a twitter storm about golden showers brings down the twitter president.

Right the person who said that is obviously lying but it's the party line of the 4chan nazis now apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

You know, that kind of character concept might be something you wanna talk about before dropping it in the thread. If only so that people can back you down from that, what the gently caress.

• Locked thread