Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

James Johnson is great. He throws out some highlight plays here and there to get fans excited for him and forget the fact that he's largely a middling rotation player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

straight up brolic posted:

I can't figure out if Jason Kidd is good or not and I'm done thinking about it

He's pretty good. He seems to use his assistants well and he gets his players to buy into what he wants to do. That kind of stuff is what a head coach is actually responsible for, more than the X's and O's. He isn't in that mythical top tier, but he seems solid. He also seems like a little bit of a pain in the rear end to work with from the management perspective, but Milwaukee seems to deal with that fine.

I'm also not going to hold anything against anyone who came out of the train wreck in Brooklyn.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Jack's Flow posted:

How dare you throw shade at Rodney Stuckey, the heir apparent!

trying to watch stuckey and brandon knight were both very frustrating experiences. stuckey just wasn't a point guard and he wasn't really interested in running an offense, and he wasn't even a good enough combo guard to ever make up for it. knight seemed like he just wasn't able to process passing lanes quickly enough to read the floor, he really wanted to but it just seemed like it was beyond him. i'm glad he's had the success he has after the trade even though he shoots the ball like an eight year old.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

theres a few different things that happened for Houston but i still hold #1 is morey finally signed people who can shoot the ball. Shooting 30+ 3s a game works better when its Ryan Anderson and Eric Gordon and not Josh Smith and Terrence Jones.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Imagine telling someone in 2012 that less than five years later, you'd rather have Beas than Rose.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

WhyteRyce posted:

James Johnson is great. He throws out some highlight plays here and there to get fans excited for him and forget the fact that he's largely a middling rotation player.

He's 100% effort out there, he is always grinding.

Probably my favourite bench guy in the league. The random monster posters are just icing

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Imagine telling someone in 2012 that less than five years later, you'd rather have Beas than Rose.

My bad opinion from the 08 draft is vindicated

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

G-Hawk posted:

theres a few different things that happened for Houston but i still hold #1 is morey finally signed people who can shoot the ball. Shooting 30+ 3s a game works better when its Ryan Anderson and Eric Gordon and not Josh Smith and Terrence Jones.

Letting Harden bring the ball up more helps a lot too. I about screamed last night when I want to say Anderson grabbed a rebound and looked at Harden heading up the floor, ignored him, and handed it off to Bev instead a few feet behind. What the hell are you doing?! Possession ended on a turnover I think

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

G-Hawk posted:

wait you mean signing a bunch of dudes who can't shoot 3's isn't how you construct a team?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Dexo posted:

wait you mean signing a bunch of dudes who can't shoot 3's isn't how you construct a team?

I mean we got Josh Smith, Clipper Destroyer out of it at least. Maybe you'll get Rondo knocking the C's or Toronto out of the playoffs with an inexplicably hot hand

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

This year Spurs are going to win IMO.

Three years ago a Spurs team with two Australian players won. Two years ago, a healthy Bogut helped GSW to victory. With him going down last year, Dellavedova was able to lead the Cavs to Victory.

With Cavs offloading Delly and GSW getting rid of Bogut, championship goes back to San Antonio. You know it makes sense.

And next year, Milwaukee, as long as they keep at least one of Delly or Thon Maker.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Holy poo poo that is water tight.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
With how the Rockets are doing I figured Ryan Anderson would have some amazing stats. Nope

PER of 14.2, .128 WS/48, a BPM of -0.4 and a VORP of 0.5

He's having one of the worst statistical seasons of his career as a key part of a top team. Also he's making $18m a year.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Timberwolves better trade for Patty Mills IMO.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

With how the Rockets are doing I figured Ryan Anderson would have some amazing stats. Nope

He's having one of the worst statistical seasons of his career as a key part of a top team. Also he's making $18m a year.

Those look like good numbers for only 18 million a year. the VORP and WS/48 in particular

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

WhyteRyce posted:

One of my favorite all-time post-game responses, "That was nasty, right?":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsIiB5OPy7U&t=64s

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Reminder that the Rockets started the season 5-5

e: Whoops, guess I remembered wrong, it was 5-4 (then 6-5)

Intruder fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 11, 2017

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Guess who wants a max contract next year guys...

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

Dexo posted:

My bad opinion from the 08 draft is vindicated

can't believe i was right

Dexo posted:

it is actually

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Metapod posted:

it is actually

Well maybe but not when your team philosophy is "bomb a shitload of threes"

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Guess who wants a max contract next year guys...

it's me

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Intruder posted:

Well maybe but not when your team philosophy is "bomb a shitload of threes"

WCF baby

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Does your name rhyme with Eric Nose?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Metapod posted:

it is actually

Gar Foreman account spotted

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Its cuz his usage is way down. He's taking like 30% less shots, which typically will sink your PER and prevents your WS from getting much higher. He's more efficient (which usually happens when you are more selective) and he's not turning the ball over as much. It's a better role for him to be in. He's a 3rd option on offense, but it's, like, a tiny 3rd option since Harden almost counts as two offensive players himself.

Whether that production is worth 18 mil is somewhat debatable. I am not a huge fan of paying big money on a C/PF who is bad at defense unless they are REALLY good on offense, but Anderson isn't egregious.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Other players in the ~$18 per year range signed this offseason. Tell me how many of these contracts you'd take over Anderson's.

code:
Chandler Parsons	4 years, $94 million
Dwight Howard	3 years, $70 million
Ryan Anderson	4 years, $80 million
Allen Crabbe	4 years, $75 million
Bismack Biyombo	4 years, $72 million
Joakim Noah	4 years, $72 million
Luol Deng	4 years, $72 million
Kent Bazemore	4 years, $70 million
Evan Turner	4 years, $70 million
Evan Fournier	5 years, $85 million
Ian Mahinmi	4 years, $64 million
Timofey Mozgov	4 years, $64 million
edit: vvv you're right!

dokmo fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 11, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you misquoted me!!!

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Also, the question about Houston's surprising season is not about their offense. They were good last year, they are better this season with better parts. The question is how the gently caress they have a league-average defense while starting Ryan Anderson and James Harden, losing Dwight Howard, and playing a midget at center for 20 minutes per game.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

you misquoted me!!!

We all look alike to Dokmo.

dokmo posted:

Also, the question about Houston's surprising season is not about their offense. They were good last year, they are better this season with better parts. The question is how the gently caress they have a league-average defense while starting Ryan Anderson and James Harden, losing Dwight Howard, and playing a midget at center for 20 minutes per game.

THAT is what I don't get. When Capela went down I assumed "Ok, Capela is having an outlier good year, but now that he is out the defense is going to go back to what you'd expect. Nope, 9 game win streak.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

dokmo posted:

Other players in the ~$18 per year range signed this offseason. Tell me how many of these contracts you'd take over Anderson's.

code:
Chandler Parsons	4 years, $94 million
Dwight Howard	3 years, $70 million
Ryan Anderson	4 years, $80 million
Allen Crabbe	4 years, $75 million
Bismack Biyombo	4 years, $72 million
Joakim Noah	4 years, $72 million
Luol Deng	4 years, $72 million
Kent Bazemore	4 years, $70 million
Evan Turner	4 years, $70 million
Evan Fournier	5 years, $85 million
Ian Mahinmi	4 years, $64 million
Timofey Mozgov	4 years, $64 million

Maybe 1? I have no idea how Forunier is doing this year though. But I've always liked Rhyno so I'd give him $18 mill just for being a good guy.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Lockback posted:

We all look alike to Dokmo.

Carbon-based meat sacks with varying degrees of lipid composition.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I will always wonder why (before they slightly changed it this year) does a player not pay people in China to sit and vote them into the ASG all day? They probably wouldn't even need a million votes and that could be had for relatively cheap. (Especially if they have anything in their contract about getting paid more if they make the all star game.)

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I can't remember whether it was in his article on the Ringer or he said it on a podcast I listened to, but Kevin O'Connor quoted Mike D'Antoni explaining Ryan Anderson's interior defence along the lines of "Yeah Anderson is really bad post defender, but a post up is such a low efficiency shot that even the best post player against Anderson will average around 0.9 points per post up, whilst on the other end he is getting 1.2 points per every three he takes, so who cares?" I guess that doesn't mention his PnR D, which I can't imagine is all that great, but it's a fun philosophy.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Spacebump posted:

I will always wonder why (before they slightly changed it this year) does a player not pay people in China to sit and vote them into the ASG all day? They probably wouldn't even need a million votes and that could be had for relatively cheap. (Especially if they have anything in their contract about getting paid more if they make the all star game.)

I think most athletes would despise doing this in general but also I believe the NBA actually puts some work into eliminating vote behavior like this. It's not like an election or anything so they can just throw away a whole mess of votes if they think something shady was up with them.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Lockback posted:

Its cuz his usage is way down. He's taking like 30% less shots, which typically will sink your PER and prevents your WS from getting much higher. He's more efficient (which usually happens when you are more selective) and he's not turning the ball over as much. It's a better role for him to be in. He's a 3rd option on offense, but it's, like, a tiny 3rd option since Harden almost counts as two offensive players himself.

Whether that production is worth 18 mil is somewhat debatable. I am not a huge fan of paying big money on a C/PF who is bad at defense unless they are REALLY good on offense, but Anderson isn't egregious.

The funny thing is he and Gordon are both taking shots from like 5-6 feet behind the line and drilling them. It's a welcome change from watching Brewer and Smoove clank them from the corner

dokmo posted:

playing a midget at center for 20 minutes per game.

7'2 wingspan baby

Lockback posted:

THAT is what I don't get. When Capela went down I assumed "Ok, Capela is having an outlier good year, but now that he is out the defense is going to go back to what you'd expect. Nope, 9 game win streak.

To be fair, this is a pretty soft part of the schedule

The streak consists of:
vs Suns
@ Mavs
vs Clippers (no Blake)
vs Knicks
vs Wizards
vs OKC (legit win)
@ Magic
@ Raptors (both these last two games required furious comebacks, but Toronto is the other legit win)
vs Hornets

The next four are TWolves, Grizzlies, Heat and Nets, so expect that streak to grow if they get past Memphis on Friday (then probably end either against the Bucks or Warriors)

Intruder fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 11, 2017

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I too am seeking a max contract like Derrick Rose is next year.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hand Row posted:

I too am seeking a max contract like Derrick Rose is next year.

I'm doing the smart thing and offering to take 12/mil a year because I love the organization.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm standing next to knightman and he's just making futuristic sounds at me but not doing anything else

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
The opinion pieces how Cousins should leave a gazillion $$$ on the table because RINGZ will be amazing. You tell 'em, beat writer who would sell out his employer for a better office chair and a new laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/KingCakeBaby/status/818836401131094016

I'm so excited, y'all.

• Locked thread