Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
in my old (30) age i've come to the conclusion that people only get their diplomas so they can have weekends and federal holidays off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Volmarias posted:

Oh hey hundreds of posts, I wonder if there was a horse weddi-

:yikes:

BWM: Doxxing yourself while discussing professional misconduct.

GWM: Humorlessness re: slander of one's business.

Folly
May 26, 2010

Empress Brosephine posted:

in my old (30) age i've come to the conclusion that people only get their diplomas so they can have weekends and federal holidays off

That only works for the first one. Seems like you work weekends for almost any job that requires two.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Accretionist posted:

BWM: Doxxing yourself while discussing professional misconduct.

GWM: Humorlessness re: slander of one's business.

The worst thing is that I read the YOSPOS xpost linking here first and then lost my place, so I had to re read a bunch of posts, which is definitely BWM.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Holy shiiit that's a lot of CJ talk.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

DarkHorse posted:

High Earner Not Rich Lowtax Kyanka Yet

HENRLKY

I was under the impression SA hadn't made money since 2011.

I thought the site was still coasting off those Your City's Sport Team shirt sales.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Krispy Kareem posted:

I was under the impression SA hadn't made money since 2011.

I thought the site was still coasting off those Your City's Sport Team shirt sales.

Doom House residuals

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

And Dare accounts.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dare accounts are the only accounts with 2017 reg dates.

Edit:
This will still hold true through July.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Dare accounts are the only accounts with 2017 reg dates.

Edit:
This will still hold true through July.

Impossible, I know a new user named Cobra Commander just registered and wasn't Dare.

Folly
May 26, 2010
This thread needs content, or at least a new derail.

Facebook: "As soon as Trump was elected I put half of everything I had in bonds. I'll move the other half after the first of the year." This was posted like within a day or two after the Fed announced a rate hike. I'm a poo poo investor, but aren't bonds already paying out terribly and will lose value as rates go up? Also, the fact the move is split between tax years implies that most of this guys stuff is in taxable accounts, right? I know more about the dude's finances, also from Facebook, that says he shouldn't have much of anything besides an emergency fund in taxable accounts at this stage. At least he probably got the "sell high" part right, through no fault of his own.

Real BWM: Don't talk about finances on facebook. It's amazing what personal info people give away by not realizing what you can do with algebra and a couple of facts.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Some people aren't especially private with their finances. Why is that BWM?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Back on topic. Remember this guy?

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/4z1xi4/yolo_used_a_9k_balance_transfer_offer_to_buy_1750/

AMD is up a pretty fair amount over the last 3 months. Almost 3 bucks a share from his purchase price. Still a lot of risk for $5k in profit (before taxes).

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Krispy Kareem posted:

Back on topic. Remember this guy?

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/4z1xi4/yolo_used_a_9k_balance_transfer_offer_to_buy_1750/

AMD is up a pretty fair amount over the last 3 months. Almost 3 bucks a share from his purchase price. Still a lot of risk for $5k in profit (before taxes).
Well, he's certainly doing okay. But it isn't a capital gain unless he actually sells off the shares. Some people just wait, and wait for the rise to continue because they like seeing the green + number values go higher and higher. Greed takes over. And then... correction. Then they're holding out on hopes that their dead cat will bounce.

Case in point (we've discussed this many times, but it warrants repeating): GTAT and then that forum full of people who were patting themselves on the back up until GTAT went bankrupt. Stock was at $10. Then it hit about $20 at its peak, then that forum became an echo chamber of foolishness and hype where they shouted down naysayers. And then GTAT went bankrupt, then got delisted and is now worth... $0.02 cents per share.

One of the last posts following the company's bankruptcy:

quote:

I am one of those that got hurt bad. I lost over 90% of my 25 years of retirement savings. I have still not recovered. I am working on preserving what little I have left for when I try to retire in 2 or 3 years. It looks like I will now have to look forward living off of social security for the rest of my life. But I think I have faired better than other GT stockholders. At least I didn't lose everything. To this day anytime I hear GTAT even mentioned I get a knot in my stomach.

It's never a good idea to gamble. But it's an even worse idea to gamble when you're retiring in 2-3 years.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 11, 2017

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

Some people are really weird about this, my best friend of 18 years, the guy I ran a company with for two years, that started at FB with the exact same package as me, feels uncomfortable talking specifics.

Why it's BWM exactly I have no idea.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

It can be bad with life http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20151014_Man_shot_in_head_during_home_invasion_robbery.html

I mean they were being stupid flashy about it, but a guy got murdered over a fake $60k. I wouldn't ever post anything on Facebook related to my own finances.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

This way of writing it out confuses me. Is it two cents per share, or 0.02 cents per share?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

melon cat posted:

Well, he's certainly doing okay. But it isn't a capital gain unless he actually sells off the shares. Some people just wait, and wait for the rise to continue because they like seeing the green + number values go higher and higher. Greed takes over. And then... correction. Then they're holding out on hopes that their dead cat will bounce.

Case in point (we've discussed this many times, but it warrants repeating): GTAT and then that forum full of people who were patting themselves on the back up until GTAT went bankrupt. Stock was at $10. Then it hit about $20 at its peak, then that forum became an echo chamber of foolishness and hype where they shouted down naysayers. And then GTAT went bankrupt, then got delisted and is now worth... $0.02 cents per share.

One of the last posts following the company's bankruptcy:

It's never a good idea to gamble. But it's an even worse idea to gamble when you're retiring in 2-3 years.

I love that forum so so much. It really should be required reading for anyone applying for a brokerage account.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Krispy Kareem posted:

I love that forum so so much. It really should be required reading for anyone applying for a brokerage account.

Oh was that the one being considered for making iPhone glass? And people on the forum were driving past the factory to try to get info?

Potential upcoming content: bitcoin is down 10% as China plans to investigate the exchanges, to stop capital from leaving the country.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Folly posted:

This thread needs content, or at least a new derail.

Facebook: "As soon as Trump was elected I put half of everything I had in bonds. I'll move the other half after the first of the year." This was posted like within a day or two after the Fed announced a rate hike. I'm a poo poo investor, but aren't bonds already paying out terribly and will lose value as rates go up? Also, the fact the move is split between tax years implies that most of this guys stuff is in taxable accounts, right? I know more about the dude's finances, also from Facebook, that says he shouldn't have much of anything besides an emergency fund in taxable accounts at this stage. At least he probably got the "sell high" part right, through no fault of his own.

Real BWM: Don't talk about finances on facebook. It's amazing what personal info people give away by not realizing what you can do with algebra and a couple of facts.

Yes as rates go up bond prices fall

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

pr0zac posted:

Some people are really weird about this, my best friend of 18 years, the guy I ran a company with for two years, that started at FB with the exact same package as me, feels uncomfortable talking specifics.

Why it's BWM exactly I have no idea.

Maybe you're not like this but I could see people being resentful of him if say he's advanced faster than you have at FB. I don't tell my friends everything because I probably make more than several of them combined. Why would they need to know that? Nothing good would come of it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

ohgodwhat posted:

Maybe you're not like this but I could see people being resentful of him if say he's advanced faster than you have at FB. I don't tell my friends everything because I probably make more than several of them combined. Why would they need to know that? Nothing good would come of it.
I think this is an intentionally engineered taboo to prevent people from sharing information and reduce their bargaining power. Maybe your friends would realize they were underpaid, and it would be the kick in the pants they needed to get out there and hustle for a better gig? Maybe they'd razz you a bit and tease you about paying for dinner and generally feel good that their friend got something nice?

Who makes the most has flip-flopped among my friends, and no one is arrogant about it, but feeling jealousy instead of joy when a friend has good fortune is no way to live.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I mean, yeah maybe it shouldn't be a problem but unfortunately not everyone is that reasonable and I'm not keen on finding out which of my friends actually become resentful of such things.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My Puritan upbringing says you don't talk about money in social settings.

That said, when they started publicizing CEO pay, thinking it would shame people into earning less, salaries went up because now corporate leaders could better compare their pay to performance with their peers.

So yeah, keeping that poo poo private does lower pay. Especially for women and minorities. I'm still not going to talk about my pay, but then again I'm a straight White male so I'm already making more than most of you guys.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

My Puritan upbringing says you don't talk about money in social settings.

It's funny how only people with money tend to have this rule.

Folly
May 26, 2010
If you have enough money to brag about, then talking about it just attracts leeches and scammers. It damages relationships when I won't buy your MLM crap. At work, I don't want my boss to know that I'm better equipped to weather a layoff than most of my co-workers. I don't want other drivers to know I carry a ton of insurance. Basically, there's almost no advantage to people other than creditors knowing my financial situation, but there are plenty of disadvantages.

And people don't seem to realize that when I know the 401k match numbers, and they say "well, match is only worth $972" it means I know exactly what their salary is.

Now, sharing salary info with co-workers is another debate. Because that has some potential benefit, and potential harm, once the network gets large enough.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

WampaLord posted:

It's funny how only people with money tend to have this rule.

Complaining about being broke is a thing all broke people do, but it's best in a group of peers that are all similarly broke.

I always say "I have kids and a house so I have no money ever" and everybody else who has kids, a house or both nods in agreement.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I think we're talking about two very different things. Telling people your net worth is only for tense private discussion, or lovely bragging. Telling people your salary should happen way more often, for the reasons Kareem gave.

efb by folly, though I'm not sure what drawbacks they forsee for sharing salary more widely.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Folly posted:

If you have enough money to brag about, then talking about it just attracts leeches and scammers. It damages relationships when I won't buy your MLM crap. At work, I don't want my boss to know that I'm better equipped to weather a layoff than most of my co-workers. I don't want other drivers to know I carry a ton of insurance. Basically, there's almost no advantage to people other than creditors knowing my financial situation, but there are plenty of disadvantages.

And people don't seem to realize that when I know the 401k match numbers, and they say "well, match is only worth $972" it means I know exactly what their salary is.

Now, sharing salary info with co-workers is another debate. Because that has some potential benefit, and potential harm, once the network gets large enough.
I feel like in most cases, it's good for your boss to know you don't need your job, at least if you are put in a position to negotiate with them. The implied threat to walk away when you ask for something carries more gravitas if your boss knows you can back it up and aren't dependent on the job. Perhaps you're right if you're at a company in the midst of layoffs with a boss who actually cares about people landing okay, but chances are you should leave such a job on your own terms anyway.

Doc Hawkins posted:

I think we're talking about two very different things. Telling people your net worth is only for tense private discussion, or lovely bragging. Telling people your salary should happen way more often, for the reasons Kareem gave.

efb by folly, though I'm not sure what drawbacks they forsee for sharing salary more widely.
Ehh, maybe I'm fortunate and while I don't plaster it on my walls, I generally know the financial position my close friends are in. It's just never been an issue. Obviously my anecdote doesn't count for everyone but...I guess it's just never been a big deal? I've never had a friend try to sell me on an MLM though.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 11, 2017

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

Getting fired because America is a hell country run by idiots

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think this is an intentionally engineered taboo to prevent people from sharing information and reduce their bargaining power. Maybe your friends would realize they were underpaid, and it would be the kick in the pants they needed to get out there and hustle for a better gig? Maybe they'd razz you a bit and tease you about paying for dinner and generally feel good that their friend got something nice?

Who makes the most has flip-flopped among my friends, and no one is arrogant about it, but feeling jealousy instead of joy when a friend has good fortune is no way to live.

I tried posting about this several pages ago, and whoosh, never again.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Moneyball posted:

I tried posting about this several pages ago, and whoosh, never again.

Ahahaha, the thing is it's actually an excellent discussion about how being a minority or woman is BWM because of social norms about how being aggressive about one's compensation is perceived except that it launched a wave of D&D invaders and a spectacular train-wreck of a derail into the information security of our account financials.

For me, hearing about the earnings and net worth of others was mostly a kick in the pants to rein in spending as much as I could and to start aggressively contributing toward retirement. I don't know how it breeds resentment among a cohort of people who should be doing the same thing. I imagine it might among people who are much older and have failed to do so, who then might expect you to subsidize their behavior (older relatives?).

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Ahahaha, the thing is it's actually an excellent discussion about how being a minority or woman is BWM because of social norms about how being aggressive about one's compensation is perceived except that it launched a wave of D&D invaders and a spectacular train-wreck of a derail into the information security of our account financials.

For me, hearing about the earnings and net worth of others was mostly a kick in the pants to rein in spending as much as I could and to start aggressively contributing toward retirement. I don't know how it breeds resentment among a cohort of people who should be doing the same thing. I imagine it might among people who are much older and have failed to do so, who then might expect you to subsidize their behavior (older relatives?).

If you have the bootstraps mindset, someone making more than you is offensive because clearly they don't try as hard as you do and the only thing that determines compensation is hard work and unions are for suckers

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ate all the Oreos posted:

Getting fired because America is a hell country run by idiots

Not fighting for universal unionism is BWM.

More seriously, that's seems like a possible immediate consequence, but their words were that there was "potential harm, once the network gets large enough." I don't know what the long-term big-scale downside would be.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Doc Hawkins posted:

Not fighting for universal unionism is BWM.

More seriously, that's seems like a possible immediate consequence, but their words were that there was "potential harm, once the network gets large enough." I don't know what the long-term big-scale downside would be.

Class war maybe?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If I was rich I'd fund lawsuits against stupid rules like not sharing salaries in hopes companies would appeal verdicts to the point where you'd create legal precedents. Kind of like how the ACLU would back legal challenges to advance Civil Rights.

But I don't make 100k/year so I'm not rich.

Folly
May 26, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

I might have phrased that poorly. Mostly that shops with publicized salary tend to have more lock-step raises. So still better for most workers and on aggregate, but worse for a few. It's only bad if you consider yourself one of those few.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

But I don't make 100k/year so I'm not rich.

Is 100k rich?? :confused:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Folly posted:

I might have phrased that poorly. Mostly that shops with publicized salary tend to have more lock-step raises. So still better for most workers and on aggregate, but worse for a few. It's only bad if you consider yourself one of those few.

If you consider yourself one of the few lucky ones who gets more raises you're probably not and the company has duped you into thinking that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Moneyball posted:

Is 100k rich?? :confused:

Time is a flat circle.

• Locked thread