Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Moneyball posted:

Is 100k rich?? :confused:

You have a real knack for throwing out bait that you know will derail the thread and then complaining about the inevitable derail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Krispy Kareem posted:

If I was rich I'd fund lawsuits against stupid rules like not sharing salaries in hopes companies would appeal verdicts to the point where you'd create legal precedents. Kind of like how the ACLU would back legal challenges to advance Civil Rights.

But I don't make 100k/year so I'm not rich.

Discussing your salary/wage is already legally protected in many states, the problem is that as long as you have at-will employment these kind of protections aren't very useful unless your boss literally storms out of his office and shouts 'I heard you talking about your bonus in the break room, you're fired!' in front of a bunch of other people.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Moneyball posted:

You're rich if your annual income is $0 but you fly around in private jets and snort coke off the tits of a prostitute.

e: and having health insurance.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

Discussing your salary/wage is already legally protected in many states, the problem is that as long as you have at-will employment these kind of protections aren't very useful unless your boss literally storms out of his office and shouts 'I heard you talking about your bonus in the break room, you're fired!' in front of a bunch of other people.

But some companies are more assholes about it than others so it comes down to finding an employer who will admit to firing for cause and setting up a honeypot that can be argued in court.

So many stupid, easy to defeat rules don't get tested because it's too expensive for individuals to challenge. I'd totally fund that kind of poo poo if I was rich. Just look at what one rich guy with a grudge did to Gawker.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Krispy Kareem posted:

If I was rich I'd fund lawsuits against stupid rules like not sharing salaries in hopes companies would appeal verdicts to the point where you'd create legal precedents. Kind of like how the ACLU would back legal challenges to advance Civil Rights.

But I don't make 100k/year so I'm not rich.

Company rules against sharing your pay details with your co-workers are already 100% illegal under current law. Unfortunately, your recourse is limited.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Company rules against sharing your pay details with your co-workers are already 100% illegal under current law. Unfortunately, your recourse is limited.

As this thread has been over a bunch, no they're not. Acting on them is, which is also impossible to prove.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what do you guys think are the best most important tips to not be bad with money

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Moneyball posted:

why are you trying to summon the tiny brontosaurus

Empress Brosephine posted:

what do you guys think are the best most important tips to not be bad with money

#1, don't buy/rent/lease/gently caress horses

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

1. Have lots of money

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

- Work hard and put your money in a savings account!

- Stay at one job as long as you can because showing loyalty to your company is the fastest way to earn more money

- When it comes to investments remember "A managed garden is a healthy garden." In layman's terms that means actively managed accounts are typically better for the average investor than passively managed accounts. It makes sense if you think about it, would you let a spreadsheet decide when your oil needs to be changed? Of course not, you need a mechanic.

- Buy a house! Houses are good investments against inflation and generally can be turned into reliable income streams later in life. Think of your home as your main retirement account that you happen to live in.

Hope this helps you out!

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Buying a horse combines both transport and pet ownership, so it's a two for one savings. Plus it opens up the possibility to win contest prize money from time to time to supplement your income.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
Once a month, put it all on black.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Inept posted:

I wouldn't ever post anything on Facebook related to my own finances.

Not like "this is my new car/house", "paid off my student loans!", "flying to resort X for holiday"?

I'm not worried about a home invasion from my friends knowing my income.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Moneyball posted:

Depends on what it is as a % of your area's baseline Cost-of-Living.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

tipping is bad with money

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I know lots of people that make way more than 100k, they are not rich.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Subjunctive posted:

Not like "this is my new car/house", "paid off my student loans!", "flying to resort X for holiday"?

Well if you tell the world that you're going on vacation and therefore your home will be vacant...

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

no stop

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Cross posting this as penance for the earlier derail:

http://www.richmond-news.com/news/richmond-driver-of-bond-style-car-shaken-stirred-over-bill-1.6930405

quote:

Richmond driver of Bond-style car shaken, stirred over bill
Jessica Liu is angry over $132,000 costs for repair of luxury, $200,000 Aston Martin
Alan Campbell / Richmond News

JANUARY 10, 2017 04:07 PM

Imagine, for a second, you’d just shelled out $200,000 for a very rare sports car that was made famous by the James Bond movies.

Then, fast forward the dream scenario and picture a nightmare where you crash the car — a very lightly-used, Aston Martin DB9 in Skyfall silver — have only basic insurance and are facing a $132,000 repair bill.

That is, however, exactly the situation a Richmond resident, Jessica Liu, finds herself in, having driven the stunning limited edition — only 100 were made — for only a few kilometres before she inexplicably veered off the road and hit a large stone near Blundell and Garden City roads in December 2015.

It has been more than a year since Liu — who regularly travels to and from China on business — has driven the car and seven months since she has even seen it.

Since then, Liu’s 007 replica has been languishing in the luxury bodyshop of Burrard Autostrasse (BA) in Vancouver.

For almost a year, Liu, who lives near Blundell and No. 2 roads, has been at odds with the autoshop over their bill to bring her Aston Martin back to roadworthy condition.

To put things into perspective, a pot of the car’s silver paint, which is named after Bond movie Skyfall, chimes in at $900 and a single headlight registers at $7,000.

Neither of those items, however, form the crux of Liu’s contention, with her focus trained on the cost of a pair of brake rotors ($30,000, plus labour) and a completely new subframe ($25,000, plus labour).

“I’m not going to pay a cent; I don’t even want the car back anymore; I want a refund (from the dealer),” Liu, who is in her 30s, told the Richmond News via email from China.

“I don’t think it’s safe to drive. I just drove it for two weeks; I don’t trust the car, I don’t trust the dealer and I don’t trust the autoshop’s invoices.”

Liu, who told BA to stop working on her car last fall, questioned the need to buy a pair of rotors (brakes) when only one of them is chipped and claims she can get the subframe for $10,000 less somewhere else.

To compound her misery, Liu is being dinged $200 a day by BA for storage of the Aston Martin. On Monday, that fee was $18,000.

“I shouldn’t be paying storage fees for a car that isn’t finished,” she added.

Liu bought the car, which can cost $300,000 brand new, for a “bargain” $200,000 in June 2015 from Vancouver-based, luxury car dealer MCL.

After the accident a few months later, she called the dealership and was directed to BA, where the car was towed to.

An initial repair estimate a few days later rang in at around $24,000, before rising, under closer inspection to nearer $100,000 in January of last year.

Not happy with the estimate, Liu took the car to a Richmond repair shop, where she obtained a much cheaper quote for the subframe. However, she discovered the subframe can only be bought by an Aston Martin-approved technician and the only approved facility in B.C. is BA. In July 2016, she felt she had no choice but to take her car back into BA, where it has been since.

Unhappy with the subsequent bill, she sought legal advice in October and lawyers for each party have been duking it out ever since.

Explaining parts of the $132,000 bill, Frank Van Pykstra, co-owner of BA, said the brakes are ceramic and, therefore, “they can’t be machined” like regular brakes.

“This is a car that can go 250 kilometres per hour; we can’t take any chances, it has to be 100 per cent,” said Van Pykstra.

As for needing a pair of rotors and not just one, Van Pykstra said, “When you’re braking in this car, in any car really, the brakes need to be balanced. You can’t replace just one.”

The subframe, he said, is a “restricted part,” meaning only authorized shops can buy it. “I’m not sure how (Liu) could get the subframe for that price; it would have to be from a damaged car or something or from someone using the kind of certification that only a very few people have.”

As for the storage fees, Van Pykstra said he’ll waive them if the matter resolves soon.

“We’ve done everything we can for this customer,” he added.

“We’ve made her an offer, which is valid until this Friday; we will take $5,000 off her bill and waive the storage fees.”

ICBC, which is hiking basic insurance rates next year by 4.9 per cent, announced last November that, beginning this year, it will stop insuring luxury cars worth more than $150,000.

There are about 3,000 cars worth more than $150,000 insured in B.C. this year, a 30 per cent increase from three years ago. Many of them can be seen being driven around in Richmond.

I'm the loving idiot who buys an expensive $200,000 car where only 100 were made and whines about how much it costs to fix after probably driving it way too loving fast.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Man, and I was annoyed at what it was going to cost to repair my car after someone backed into it.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

What is the baseline cost of living in Des Moines?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

From context clues such as the article I linked, I meant poo poo like how much money I have saved.

And if someone DMed me asking how much I made I'd probably tell them, but yeah I'm not going to randomly tell my friends list what I make.

Inept fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 12, 2017

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Solice Kirsk posted:

- Stay at one job as long as you can because showing loyalty to your company is the fastest way to earn more money

- When it comes to investments remember "A managed garden is a healthy garden." In layman's terms that means actively managed accounts are typically better for the average investor than passively managed accounts. It makes sense if you think about it, would you let a spreadsheet decide when your oil needs to be changed? Of course not, you need a mechanic.

- Buy a house! Houses are good investments against inflation and generally can be turned into reliable income streams later in life. Think of your home as your main retirement account that you happen to live in.

Hope this helps you out!
Great advice, also:
- make sure to buy as much whole life insurance as possible in order to both insure against a bad future and invest in case of a good future - win/win!
- if you have a horse make sure to also buy whole life insurance for the horse
- (and if you don't have a horse, buy one because you can race it and make money by betting on your horse as well)
- buy as much property as possible, especially a house with a huge lawn because then you can let your horse run around and graze the lawn

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

OSI bean dip posted:

http://www.richmond-news.com/news/richmond-driver-of-bond-style-car-shaken-stirred-over-bill-1.6930405

I'm the loving idiot who buys an expensive $200,000 car where only 100 were made and whines about how much it costs to fix after probably driving it way too loving fast.

I'm the idiot who apparently doesn't have insurance on their $200,000 car unless I'm missing something

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

moana posted:

Great advice, also:
- make sure to buy as much whole life insurance as possible in order to both insure against a bad future and invest in case of a good future - win/win!
- if you have a horse make sure to also buy whole life insurance for the horse
- (and if you don't have a horse, buy one because you can race it and make money by betting on your horse as well)
- buy as much property as possible, especially a house with a huge lawn because then you can let your horse run around and graze the lawn

If you have a horse you don't need to buy a lawnmower and it makes its own fertilizer, just think of the lawn care savings you'd get! You could even rent the horse out to neighbors when their lawns need a trim!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

What is the baseline cost of living in Des Moines?

non monetary cost very high due to Jastiger proximity

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

ate all the Oreos posted:

I'm the idiot who apparently doesn't have insurance on their $200,000 car unless I'm missing something

They have liability insurance but no comprehensive.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solice Kirsk posted:

Hope this helps you out!

thank you for the advice.

i always read that its actually more harmful to stay at one place of employer more than 10 years is that still true?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

thank you for the advice.

i always read that its actually more harmful to stay at one place of employer more than 10 years is that still true?

They are loving with you. Basically the opposite of everything he posted is true.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Loyalty is neither given nor received.

Management would fire you the moment it increased their annual bonus by ten cents.

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

OSI bean dip posted:

The owner of that shop also owns a bunch of property in Vancouver and used to be my landlord. He was easily one of the best/fairest landlords I've ever had. It was probably only the second or third time out of dozens of apartments I've had a landlord fix things quickly and not nickle and dime me on the deposit.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5ndbum/talked_to_a_coworker_who_says_he_pays_no_income/ posted:

What's the truth to this?

He says that there is no law requiring people to pay income tax. He doesn't have anything withheld and doesn't file taxes. His argument is that the law says that income taxes must be paid and filed only above a certain amount of taxable income, and that wages in the US do not count as taxable income and he therefore doesn't earn enough to have to file/pay income tax. I mentioned that someone has to pay that income tax to the IRS and he said that since he is refusing to pay it, the burden falls on the employer to pay income taxes.

What's the truth behind this (if any)? I figure that if Americans could avoid giving up 10-30% of their wages to the IRS just by refusing then it would be a lot more common.
Routine sovcit bullshit, but I love the idea of OP going "wait, if we can go 'nah, don't wanna' at the IRC, why would anyone pay? Clearly I need to ask reddit to verify this claim."

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5nb0d8/college_grad_2_in_my_checking_account_unemployed/ posted:

I've been looking for work every single day. Never been more motivated in my life. However, I need to earn some type of money in the mean time.

I tried applying for free lance writing but no luck, and I don't want to look for a part-time job while looking for full-time work, I feel like it doesn't make sense unless I have to. Is that rationale wrong? I can't tell. I just have my sights set on a FT position and don't want to settle for PT work.

I don't know though, I need some advice. Have to do something. I need and want to work. Any ideas for side-jobs?

quote:

[–]Kingswing1 88 points 17 hours ago

I don't understand your situation.

So you have no money, but you refuse to accept any part-time work in the interim?

Your first concern should be getting any type of job at all.

[–]bran-dono -62 points 17 hours ago

I don't wish to be hired for a PT job then a month later I get a FT job offer. It's a headache to transition. However I might just need to.
Unemployed and only have 2 dollars to your name, clearly the time to be picky about what form of work you accept.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Loyalty is neither given nor received.

Management would fire you the moment it increased their annual bonus by ten cents.

Hey man, this is an unfair characterization. Sometimes management is noble and selfless and will fire you the second it increases the company's profit by ten cents.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Haifisch posted:

tax truther

In the US you're allowed to just opt out of withholding? You need to get permission from the revenue agency to reduce withholding in Canada.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Subjunctive posted:

In the US you're allowed to just opt out of withholding? You need to get permission from the revenue agency to reduce withholding in Canada.

I doubt most payroll processors will let you claim exempt since they'd assume you're just loving up.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

You can self report exemptions from withholding to reduce withholding but if you end up under withholding you can be subject to penalties.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Subjunctive posted:

IIRC you have to submit a "I'm exempt from income taxes" form to your company's payroll to opt out entirely, but very few people would legally qualify to do so. OP's friend is an engineer, so he'd make way too much to qualify.

And you can adjust your number of withholdings yourself(as long as you don't bring them to 0), but you can be penalized for underwitholding too much.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

You can withhold zero dollars, but you get fined if you owe too much at year's end. Even if you pay your taxes in full with one payment.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

OH wait, is this a thread where we can make fun of excessive wedding plans?

My cousin is a small-engine mechanic. At his wedding there was:
- swans
- a string quartet
- a shrimp buffet
- his wife arrived in a horse-drawn carriage

The thing cost - I poo poo you not - $50,000. Wife's dad was a chiropractor so I guess they had the money.

Anyone want to take bets on how the marriage turned out?

lol @ you if you don't have a video from your wedding where everyone is wishing you well but at least one guest drunkenly stares right into the camera and says "for the cost of this wedding you could have had a WHOLE HOUSE"

The minimum to even book the venue where our wedding was held was $25,000 just for the food. Don't get me started on the stage lights or choreographer the teleprompters or the band or the string quartet or the mariachi band or the open bar or the horse drawn carriage or the cakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

They were at least your own horses right? Just one of the benefits of horse ownership.

• Locked thread