Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You can import the harness and camera and install it. It's plug and play when it comes to the hardware, it's just that you have to pull out the entire interior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

What's the point of a backup camera in a Miata? Lol it's not a cargo van

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Backup cameras are stupid, how about designing a car you can loving see out of instead

Especially stupid in a Miata, it's like the size of a shopping cart

a cat irl
Feb 13, 2010
The first time I sat in a miata with the top down and looked behind me, I had the biggest, stupidest smile because of all that visibility.

thanks, in part, to this thread, I got into a red 93 and really really love it. It's the happiest car I've ever driven!

also, Central FL is full of these cars in good condition with relatively low miles, so if you're searching, take a look here

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
I want a backup camera so that I can see distance from the curb when parallel parking. I'd also accept something that automatically lowers the passenger mirror in reverse but I don't think they have that.

The other useful thing about the camera is that it will always be farther back than my head, so if I'm reversing out of a spot surrounded by tall trucks I'll be able to see past either side earlier (or it might be useless if the angle on this one is too narrow, I don't know).

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
The screen is good and the control knob is great.

As-is the Mazda infotainment setup is pretty decent, but they need to get CarPlay and Android Whatever implemented ASAP.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

$35 shipped?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

K I bought the new one. Sport base model in ceramic. 6 speed

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Is there a goon approved breakin procedure for this thing because I haven't been "watching my revs" or anything stupid like that

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Read the manual.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

puberty worked me over posted:

why is every fuckin miata $2,000 more than KBB (which is high to start) within 300 miles of me
People think they can get away with it, especially if they have one in excellent condition. Adding $2k due to condition is unrealistic and those cars tend to stay in the listings for a long time. Anyone who tries to upvalue their car based on performance mods is also in denial that they actually lowered the value of their ride.

Your region matters, too. I live in Bradenton, FL (north of Sarasota, south of St. Petersburg) and there are plenty of wealthy people around, especially snowbirds who have no problem dropping 8k on a car they leave in FL and just insure for half the year. Most Miatas locally are listed at $2k over KBB, just like your region. I looked on Craigslist for a while, the prices there were much better than Autotrader. I was eventually find an '04 LS in excellent condition for $5200, which was about $600 over KBB. The only problem with it is that it came with Valera A/S tires, which are Chinese tires sold at Firestone and supposedly the worst tires you can possibly get that meet Miata specs. I probably could have saved some money if I widened my range into central FL but I couldn't be bothered.

furthermore what fuckin idiot pays $5k for a 100,000 mile car that's 15 years old and makes 142 to the crank?

me

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 8, 2017

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 4, 2020

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
If you think an 06-07 is worth anywhere near 7k, you're not looking hard enough.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/5942274657.html

The linked one is a bit rough, but you can score them pretty easily in better shape for 4.5-5.5k . NC values are going through the floor.

destructo fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 9, 2017

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 4, 2020

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Further curious about the silly Miata prices here are that for most people they're only driven 1/2 of the year.
It's almost as if there's less supply of a thing which isn't as attractive in a given locale.

Also :lol: at even mentioning KBB.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
PRHTs have been holding their value fairly well - I haven't seen an NC1 below 10k or a NC2 below 12,5. Most are above 15.

Is the RF out on lots at this point?

quote:

The only other car in its class is the MR-S and the MR-S is $3K more for the same example in a Miata.

Pedantry alert: the MR-S is the 2zz car in Japan; the car we got in North America is just the MR2 Spyder.

blk fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 9, 2017

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

The issue becomes no other RWD car is as light, recently manufactured, well handling, has the tiny turning circle, and the same aftermarket. The only other car in its class is the MR-S and the MR-S is $3K more for the same example in a Miata.

The Miata is objectively the best car per $ and I'm just salty about it.

S2000

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

blk posted:

Pedantry alert: the MR-S is the 2zz car in Japan; the car we got in North America is just the MR2 Spyder.

There is no factory verrsion of the MKIII mr2 that came with a 2zz. There was a dealer installed TTE turbo kit that came on 300 cars in the uk to the end of the cars lifespan but no factory 2zz.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

track day bro! posted:

There is no factory verrsion of the MKIII mr2 that came with a 2zz. There was a dealer installed TTE turbo kit that came on 300 cars in the uk to the end of the cars lifespan but no factory 2zz.

Yeah, a cursory search of Wikipedia would have revealed this universal truth. Toyota basically positioned the MR-S to fail, and it's still a decent car despite their best efforts. I'm torn between trying to grab an MR-S w/ hardtop (and eventual 2GR-FE swap) and a Honda Shuttle Beagle in my theoretical future garage. Also the JDM MR2 badge is too legit to quit.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

track day bro! posted:

drat, you're right - how the hell did I misremember that?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hopes and dreams are still able to thrive in a non jaded and pessimistic mind.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

Yeah, a cursory search of Wikipedia would have revealed this universal truth. Toyota basically positioned the MR-S to fail, and it's still a decent car despite their best efforts. I'm torn between trying to grab an MR-S w/ hardtop (and eventual 2GR-FE swap) and a Honda Shuttle Beagle in my theoretical future garage. Also the JDM MR2 badge is too legit to quit.

I've had a passenger ride in a 2zz on track but the std 1zz gearing doesn't suit it, I forget what the solution is I think a gearset out of a similar vintage corolla that has a 2zz. Plus the build quality for the mr-s is nowhere near the level of the older cars, values have pretty much bottomed out here and you can pick up tatty but mechanically sound one for about a grand. Plus the interior seems like a horrible place to be for a decent length of time even compared to an mx-5.

The chassis is fantastic though, especially compared to the rather blunt instrument of my sw20, also I thought the same about the badge which is why I ended up sticking one on.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I probably would have built a 2ZZ Spyder instead of getting a Miata if I lived anywhere other than California. They're actually just as expensive as NB Miatas here, though.

Same situation as the NA/NB where they're only getting more expensive as time goes on, except there are fewer of them and they're starting out substantially more expensive.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Same situation as the NA/NB where they're only getting more expensive as time goes on, except there are fewer of them and they're starting out substantially more expensive.

Yeah, back when I bought my NB, all the S2000s in the area were about twice as much money. I think everything that was ever in a Fast & The Furious movie makes the owner want $Texas for their 15 year old car.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cat Hatter posted:

Yeah, back when I bought my NB, all the S2000s in the area were about twice as much money. I think everything that was ever in a Fast & The Furious movie makes the owner want $Texas for their 15 year old car.

I think part of the reason of higher-value S2000s is the decreasing availability of clean ones, I think I see more with body and wing mods than without. Also S2000 seats are stolen frequently so JDM nerds can throw them in their Civics, and those seats are easily worth a couple grand each, so any S2000 that hasn't been broken into is inherently worth a serious premium. The S2000 is also a surefire modern classic, apart from being great all-around it had several unique features at the time, I think it had the first push-button ignition in a road car and the specific output of the engine was a record for NA engines at the time.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I'd imagine production volume has something to do with it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_S2000#Sales_and_production

For comparison there were 33k 1999 Miatas made, 94k NBs.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
My friends dad bought and early s2000 thinking it would be a modern classic and put it away in storage with under 30k miles. Definitely a solid move!

Unfortunately for me they are way too drat expensive. I drove it once and it was truly sublime.

Anyways my quest for a nice miata continues. Basically looking for any rust free '1.8 NA/NB under 4k or NC hard top under 8k. Really sucks there isn't any simple roadster with decent power other than the s2k that is semi reliable.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Voltage posted:

My friends dad bought and early s2000 thinking it would be a modern classic and put it away in storage with under 30k miles. Definitely a solid move!

Unfortunately for me they are way too drat expensive. I drove it once and it was truly sublime.

Anyways my quest for a nice miata continues. Basically looking for any rust free '1.8 NA/NB under 4k or NC hard top under 8k. Really sucks there isn't any simple roadster with decent power other than the s2k that is semi reliable.

Where are you? If you're local-ish to Milwaukee, maybe we can work something out. This thing is fun but I'd like more than two cases of beer's worth of trunk space, and a back seat. 1.8L NA, rust free, salvage title & leaks a little oil from the oil pan. Also I'll finish replacing the heater core once the garage returns to livable temperatures.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

TheNothingNew posted:

Where are you? If you're local-ish to Milwaukee, maybe we can work something out. This thing is fun but I'd like more than two cases of beer's worth of trunk space, and a back seat. 1.8L NA, rust free, salvage title & leaks a little oil from the oil pan. Also I'll finish replacing the heater core once the garage returns to livable temperatures.

Goddamn, where were you 6 months ago when I bought an empty shell with a crunched front end from Chicago. ;) (it's a race project, I'm not actually that broken up, just took me a while to find one at the price I wanted to pay)

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

TheNothingNew posted:

I'm in NY but wouldn't mind doing a fly+drive if the price was right - email me

Voltage fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 15, 2017

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Voltage posted:

How is that a solid move? Having a car collecting dust seems like the stupidest poo poo ever.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

n8r posted:

How is that a solid move? Having a car collecting dust seems like the stupidest poo poo ever.

NO TIRE KICKERS

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I mean if he wanted to make money which he probably will. Pretty fuckin lame he barely drove it. Oh well at least I got to rip on it once...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

So if he bought a 2001 for $32k (MSRP) and sold it for less than ~$43k today (inflation adjusted), then he lost money. I don't think they're selling for that much yet but I haven't been looking. And he missed out on years he could have been driving a fun car, so lose-lose.

A coworker bought one with really low miles and never drove it either and sold for less than half that. 10% of the miles he put on it was picking it up in the next state over. Can't shake my head enough at that poo poo.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Larrymer posted:

So if he bought a 2001 for $32k (MSRP) and sold it for less than ~$43k today (inflation adjusted), then he lost money. I don't think they're selling for that much yet but I haven't been looking. And he missed out on years he could have been driving a fun car, so lose-lose.

A coworker bought one with really low miles and never drove it either and sold for less than half that. 10% of the miles he put on it was picking it up in the next state over. Can't shake my head enough at that poo poo.

This is 90% of Corvette owners

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I remember about 7-8 years ago there was a story about some guy who bought a Mercedes 190 E in the late 80s, stored it in a temperature and humidity-controlled facility until the late 2000s and was only able to get about what he had paid for it new - not adjusting for inflation - in mint condition with only transport miles on the odometer.

Unless you get incredibly lucky with something that turns into a highly sought after collector's item 20+ years down the road cars are a terrible investment.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

blk posted:

This is 90% of Corvette owners

That's why C5Z06s rival 964s and 930s in price.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Is it wrong that I can't overcome how bad the interior is in the C5? It's just so bad.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Wrar posted:

Is it wrong that I can't overcome how bad the interior is in the C5? It's just so bad.

I bought an E46 M3 because I couldn't bring myself to spend the same amount of money on something with the C5s interior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

It's bad but I got over it. Replacing the donkey dong holdover shift knob from the C4 with a C6 unit helps a lot.

I am kind bummed that I could easily pick up a C5Z now for what I paid for my C5 barely over a year ago. Oh well.