Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

rannum posted:

Shadow Ball Flareon's time to shine

Yeah, but they put the TM in the Game Corner which I was always bad at. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

You know, I never used a Poison type until I got my Alolan Grimer and holy shitballs that little dude is wrecking some face all over the islands.

Aloan Grimer is an incredibly good Pokemon period.

Funny how all they did was give it a Dark subtype but that single change is enough to make it amazing.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I just noticed her kimono band has the Heart Gold emblem on it. Details!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also the fact that you can't get any Dark types (beyond Umbreon) until the postgame, in the most grinding-unfriendly game in the whole series, is...so weird. And so bad. You literally just introduced the type, let me use it!
GSC was really, really bad at using the new mons properly. No non-Umbreon dark types until postgame, Gen 1 mons drowning out Gen 2 mons in most routes, half the gymleaders not having any Gen 2 mons, etc.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Dr Pepper posted:

Aloan Grimer is an incredibly good Pokemon period.

Funny how all they did was give it a Dark subtype but that single change is enough to make it amazing.

That's not true. They also replaced its special moves with physical moves.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

Crosspeice posted:

But that's it for Lavender Town, time to head eastwards, towards places we've already been but not exactly! Yeah that makes sense.

Three years on and you'll still ogling. Good poo poo.

With a combo of Sunny Day and Synthesis, or Solarbeam, it can be nasty. But I'm saying a lot of "could" in this battle... because it's not really a challenge. Oh well![/i]

Just a couple of typos and a broken tag.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Haifisch posted:

GSC was really, really bad at using the new mons properly. No non-Umbreon dark types until postgame, Gen 1 mons drowning out Gen 2 mons in most routes, half the gymleaders not having any Gen 2 mons, etc.

You didn't mention it, but the Steel type *also* has poo poo implementation. There are only 6 total mons - including one low-level one (Magnemite), one who can't actually learn a single Steel move (Forretress), and two which are only available via a friend with a link cable. If you're playing solo, your list of viable Steel mons is Skarmory, Magneton, and...yeah, that's it. Oh, and the entire Steel gym consists of a whopping two different types of Pokemon.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Did fairy get a decent first showing either? I think gamefreak is just bad at highlighting new features like they're scared of it being bad. Mega evolutions were basically non existent in their debut as well.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Did fairy get a decent first showing either? I think gamefreak is just bad at highlighting new features like they're scared of it being bad. Mega evolutions were basically non existent in their debut as well.

Fairy got it great. ~12 entirely new fairies were added and they retyped another ~22. There were 27 fairies spread across several different lines available all over Kalos. You meet your first fairy right after the first gym assuming you don't find the Ralts and you'll meet like 3 more on the way to gym 2. There was a fairy gym that had almost every non-legendary Kalos fairy in it. The fairy movepool also did not need to wait another 3 gens to get proper moves. It had an assortment of low-mid moves alongside Dazzling Gleam, Moonblast & Play Rough and most fairies got exactly what they needed to suit their stats.

Mega Evolution was, in comparison, a mistep in XY, since I think you could on find about ehhh 9 or so before beating the game but at least mega evolution was relevant for a chunk of the game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

FoolyCharged posted:

I don't believe there were that many new Fairy Pokemon in Gen VI, but a bunch of preexisting ones got converted into it.

On the other hand, Fairy Types had Moonblast, which was one of the few moves that remained at 95 BP, since most others got knocked down to 90. So Fairies weren't lacking in moves at the very least.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

FoolyCharged posted:

Yes right away at the start of X you can catch two Fairy types (Azuril and Flabébé) and they're available throughout the game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Turning a public cemetery (and Ghost Pokemon living ground) into a radio station still seems like a really big dick move.

I always headcanoned that Agatha retired from the E4 to protest that, being a Ghost-type trainer and all.

Murkrow and Persian in the same location. I like it when Pokedex details match encounters.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Glaive17 posted:

Just a couple of typos and a broken tag.

Cheers love, all fixed.

Haifisch posted:

I just noticed her kimono band has the Heart Gold emblem on it. Details!

Same! Guess I've never really looked at the artwork too closely, since you cannot tell from the in-game sprite.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Fairy got a decent enough showing that Mega-Gardevoir is still OU even with her ability getting nerfed.

Although I imagine she'll lose traction to Tapu Lele now.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

TinTower posted:

Fairy got a decent enough showing that Mega-Gardevoir is still OU even with her ability getting nerfed.

Although I imagine she'll lose traction to Tapu Lele now.

That's impossible, Mega-Gardevoir doesn't exist in Gen VII at the moment.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

That's impossible, Mega-Gardevoir doesn't exist in Gen VII at the moment.

Showdown rather than Battle Spot.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

TinTower posted:

Showdown rather than Battle Spot.

But the missing mega stones banned at the moment, since it's not known if we can get them when the bank update comes.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Okay, that's fair. I thought Gardevoirite was purchasable at the Battle Tree; obviously it isn't.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Murkrow and Persian in the same location. I like it when Pokedex details match encounters.

Sun and Moon have a good number of little things like this that I really love, specifically in what and how you find certain pokemon. Its great how many little details they added in, and its nice looking back to see the occasional details from before, too.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

On one hand, I can appreciate Mareanie being called to a distressed Corsola's cries.

On the other hand, ridiculously low encounter rates infuriate me.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

So what you're saying is that I shouldn't mention that I got one on the first corosola I fished up

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

On one hand, I can appreciate Mareanie being called to a distressed Corsola's cries.

Who has two thumbs and wasted a couple hours of her life trying to figure out how to get a Hidden Ability Mareanie? This girl. :v:

On the other hand, my Dr. Blight ruins worlds, so it was worth it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

it only took me like 15 minutes to get a mareanie, it's not that bad

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I just traded for one after seeing the encounter rate. :v:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Could be worse, could be Castform.

(I was stupid enough to try it in Lush Jungle with Sandstorm)

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
I got all my painful SOS Pokemon through GTSing Sableyes. Apparently people really, really want that one for some reason.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

Pillbug

TinTower posted:

Could be worse, could be Castform.

(I was stupid enough to try it in Lush Jungle with Sandstorm)

Same but with hail for me. It took me an hour and 15 minutes in a single battle before the Castform even showed up...

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Glaive17 posted:

Same but with hail for me. It took me an hour and 15 minutes in a single battle before the Castform even showed up...

Hopefully the Primals abilities count as weather...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Natural weather only.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 45: Where the Rocks are Hard

Vermillion City

We're back to do a few small things around Kanto before tackling that drat Snorlax.

: Oh, I see now. The girl who lost this POKé DOLL is sad. OK. Could you take this POKé DOLL back to that poor little girl? I'll befriend a real CLEFAIRY on my own one day. No worries!

: You watch, I'm going to get a real CLEFAIRY as my friend.

Underground Path

Since the Power Plant Problem (tm) is over with, we can now explore the Underground Path.

Well I'm glad they kept that area in the game.

Saffron City

"POKé DOLL!"

: See the tear where the right leg is sewn on? That's proof! OK. Here's the MAGNET TRAIN PASS like I promised!

"MAGNET TRAIN."

: The rail company man gave me that when they tore down our old house for the STATION.

Cool little change to the room, alls well that ends well.

: ...Pardon? Is it really that fun to copy what I say and do?

Farewell Copycat, you were fun.

Oh hell yes, I have been waiting for this.

Trains, motherfucker

Magnet Train

Goldenrod City

: We hope to see you again.

Finally, we're back in Johto. The Magnet Train is the quickest way to go between Kanto and Johto, but to go between Johto and Kanto, you can just surf east from New Bark Town until you're in Route 27 and then Fly from there. You can also use the S.S Aqua, but that's not a great use of your time, really.

Anyway, let's deal with this Snorlax.

Poke Flute

"sleeping SNORLAX..."

Aw crap!

Wild Pokemon Battle (Kanto)

HP: 160 | ATK: 110 | DEF: 65 | SP.ATK: 65 | SP.DEF: 110 | SPD: 30 | TOTAL: 540
#225: Snorlax

"LEFTOVERS."

This thing is a loving problem, being higher level than anything we've seen in Kanto and with recovery to boot! It's a pain to catch, but you should save your Masterball for a roamer.

Okay, let's stop that before it gets out of hand. Now to start chucking balls.

It's not helpless even when asleep. And we have to keep whittling it down because it recovers 1/16th of its health each turn.

Still, it goes in eventually.

Also did you remember that I knocked out one of the two Snorlax in Yellow? BRICK JOKE! Well that one is kinda intentional, since you didn't have a reason to catch both Snorlax.

Now all of Kanto is available to us. Thinking back on it, I should've headed to Route 11 and indeed Route 12 to grab the Super Rod. But oh well! Maybe next update.

Diglett's Cave

Guess what we can find here?

Uh, well, I was intending on finding a Diglett first, but eh, close enough.

Least it's high enough level to actually live a hit and makes it easier to catch, woo

And there we go, the earliest we can catch Diglett, what a crime.

And that's Diglett Tunnel. It's not any smaller or less lovely than its Gen 1 version, but you would need to really try to gently caress this place up.

Route 2

We're back in north-east Kanto! Ahh, memories, it's definitely been a while.

Now we can head south, or go slightly north and visit Pewter City.

Maybe the trainers might be better on this side of the map?

"take a bath."

The answer is no, they're still poo poo.

Let's finally legitimately catch one of these things.

We'll explore Pewter City in just a sec, however, in order to evolve the Pikachu we just got, we need a Thunderstone. But we don't have one of those.

So let's visit an old man.

: Isn't it cute! That's so kind of you. Thanks! This is a token of my appreciation.

There's quite a few items we can get from this guy and we've encountered all the Pokemon we can show him.

"on its head."

Now we get to the evolutions stones.

: You know, the one that's shaped like a star? I heard that it appears at night. I would surely like to see it.

Three down.

: It's supposed to ROAR well. Ah, so that is GROWLITHE?

Good boy

"POKéMON?"

Simisear?

: The POKéMON that has a yellow body and red cheeks. I would love to see what it looks like before it evolves.

: Thanks for showing me so many cute POKéMON. I really enjoyed myself. I'm glad I've lived such a long life.

First time we've seen this in one of my LPs. Hope you enjoyed the old man sidequest, cause in Gold and Silver, that was the only way to get evolutions stones. At all. Ain't that great?

We could've evolved Ikue, but I'm not a monster, Ikue is Ikue and always will be.

Pewter City

Pewter City: A Stone Gray City
(Pewter is a metal alloy of copper, tin and gray lead)
Nibi City: Nibi is the color of gray stone
(From nibi oro, a dull gray colour)

Pewter City. It's not that different.

"from JOHTO?"

: That brings back memories. When I was young, I went to JOHTO to train. You remind me so much of what I was like as a young man. Here. I want you to have this item. I found it in JOHTO.

: Going to new, unknown places and seeing new people.

A bit random, but now we can head down into the Whirl Islands to get a Lugia. In Silver, you would get the Rainbow Wing. But we'll go do that stuff later or something, whatever.

: If you have HAUNTER, would you trade it for my XATU?

No, but yeah

"XATU."

: Uh? What happened? Trading is so odd... I still have a lot of learn about it.

Do this trade if you want, Haunter is easy enough to catch in the wild. It's pointless for us since we already have an Xatu, so whatever.

: PEWTER MUSEUM OF SCIENCE is closed for renovations...

What a surprise

But that's it for Pewter, guess it's Gym time.

Maybe this time there might be some Rock types in this Gym?

Pokemon Gym

The first gym is our thirteenth? Yep.

: They're strong and dedicated people, just like JOHTO's GYM LEADERS.

"type POKéMON."

: The rock-type has high DEFENSE. Battles could end up going a long time. Are you ready for this?

Still not a Rock type, but good for you.

"don't take him seriously."

I'm not light years from him anymore.

: I'm BROCK, the PEWTER GYM LEADER. I'm an expert in rock-type POKéMON. My POKéMON are impervious to most physical attacks. You'll have a hard time inflicting any damage. Come on!

Gym Leader (Kanto)

Hoo man, we're starting to get pretty ahead of the curve, but Brock makes up for it by having 5 Pokemon. Graveler is a pretty simple Pokemon, it's what most opponents should have move wise, but of course where's the fun in that?

Let's move on. Sure, Helios could end this battle after four more Solarbeams, but let's at least see what else he has.

HP: 70 | ATK: 60 | DEF: 125 | SP.ATK: 115 | SP.DEF: 70 | SPD: 55 | TOTAL: 495
#221: Omastar

What is that move doing on a special attacker??? Spike Cannon (Toge Kyanon) is a Normal move with 20BP, 15PP and 100% accuracy that can hit between 2-5 times. Due to its higher than average base power, it will usually hit for 60BP, but it's still a terrible move, don't use it.

At least it can deal some damage with Surf and Bite, but Mothra has too good a move to use against this guy.

Onix is the big guns and it kinda isn't at the same time cause it still has base 30 Attack. But it can use Sandstorm to make your special moves harder to use. Then again, they'll usually be 4x effective, so it doesn't make too much of a difference. I also had to look twice, since it has both Bind and Bide, very similar looking moves.

Why the gently caress has this thing not evolved yet?

Well the only interesting thing about it is Earthquake and maybe Horn Drill. Though you would be foolish to be at a lower level than this guy.

HP: 60 | ATK: 115 | DEF: 105 | SP.ATK: 65 | SP.DEF: 70 | SPD: 80 | TOTAL: 495
#223: Kabutops

What is that move doing on a physical attacker???

Oh you think you're being cute.

I think I've had enough of Rock types for a while.

: You're stronger than I expected. Go ahead--take this BADGE.

Pokemon Gym

: MARINA, thanks. I enjoyed battling you, even though I am a bit upset. That BOULDERBADGE will make your POKéMON even more powerful. The world is huge. There are still many more strong trainers like you. Just wait and see. I'm going to become a lot stronger too.

: The way you took charge was really inspiring. I mean that seriously.

Route 3

Pewter City was fun, but now it's time to move on and stuff.

Thankfully there are a lot less trainers on this route than last gen. Or maybe I should be annoyed there's less content?

: I was afraid to take you on...

: That's my fashion policy.

You're not a Bug Catcher.

"ignition..."

I definitely prefer them to the bugs.

This place is so meh to go through, there's nothing interesting around!

Are you interesting?

HP: 40 | ATK: 40 | DEF: 40 | SP.ATK: 70 | SP.DEF: 40 | SPD: 20 | TOTAL: 250
#211: Slugma

"that's me."

: But not the best trainer...

Well I think that'll do for now. We'll leave the exploration of Mt. Moon to next update, cause I can feel something pretty edgy close by.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm pretty sure Snorlax's Japanese name is not Ptera.

Also the old man evolution stones sidequest was one of the most stupid things in Gen 2. Just let me buy the drat things, geez.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

This is my mysterious totem bird, said to stay stoic & still in the terror of all it sees across time past & future.

I named him Paul.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also the old man evolution stones sidequest was one of the most stupid things in Gen 2. Just let me buy the drat things, geez.

the sad thing is the series barely gets better about evolution items. its awful.

By the way

quote:

But it can use Sandstorm to make your special moves harder to use.
This isn't true. Sandstorm doesn't halve solarbeam's power until gen 3 and doesn't give Rock types the 50% special boost until gen 4. Only thing it does in gen 2 is annoy you and weaken moonlight, morning sun & synthesis

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Well I think that'll do for now. We'll leave the exploration of Mt. Moon to next update, cause I can feel something pretty edgy close by.

But Honedge is Gen VI. :v:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah I noticed that while making the update. Eh, fix for later. Though this also means I made the same mistake last LP. Whoops!

rannum posted:

This isn't true. Sandstorm doesn't halve solarbeam's power until gen 3 and doesn't give Rock types the 50% special boost until gen 4. Only thing it does in gen 2 is annoy you and weaken moonlight, morning sun & synthesis

You're right, that's the problem with playing the remakes alongside, my mind just goes "yeah, sp def boost, absolutely".

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

Pillbug
I didn't even know it gave a special defense boost.... Do the other weather moves change stats at all?

I have played these games since Blue version (although I skipped from Black straight to Moon, so I haven't played Black 2 or X and Y) and yet I never knew they made any changes to the weather moves since they were introduced.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Glaive17 posted:

I didn't even know it gave a special defense boost.... Do the other weather moves change stats at all?

I have played these games since Blue version (although I skipped from Black straight to Moon, so I haven't played Black 2 or X and Y) and yet I never knew they made any changes to the weather moves since they were introduced.

No, just sandstorm. Which is fine for Sun & Rain since they have a bunch of more widespread bonuses in comparison, but maddening for Hail.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Sun and Moon made Hail a bit better, but again only because of the abilities and attacks associated with it. It still does not confer any direct assistance to any Ice pokemon, beyond "does not take Hail damage."

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Sun and Moon made Hail a bit better, but again only because of the abilities and attacks associated with it. It still does not confer any direct assistance to any Ice pokemon, beyond "does not take Hail damage."

it's a shame, they could really use a Def boost under it to mirror sandstorm

i doubt it'd make hail teams good but it'd be nice

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

It says a lot about Hail teams that they're one redeeming strategy isn't being used for Hail teams, its just being transplanted onto other teams to make better use of it.

Ice types in general are just shafted so, so hard both now and back then.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Arcade Rabbit posted:

It says a lot about Hail teams that they're one redeeming strategy isn't being used for Hail teams, its just being transplanted onto other teams to make better use of it.

Ice types in general are just shafted so, so hard both now and back then.

It's really fascinating. Every other type has overtime, some slower than others, gotten a list of buffs either in terms of available pokemon, widespread and good moves or alterations to the type chart or miscellaneous immunities except ice. Any time something kind of good happens to ice type its with a caveat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ice is a good attacking type, but nobody wants to be an ice type. Or it's probably because a majority of ice types are slow and bulky which really doesn't work when ice only resists itself.

• Locked thread